PDA

View Full Version : pro ject phono box se 2

Stubies
06-10-2013, 21:18
Does anyone have experience with the pro ject phono box se 2 ?

I have just recieved an offer to buy one at 100 gbp

It would replace a Nad pp 2

Thanks!

http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/bilder/phonoboxse2.jpg

walpurgis
06-10-2013, 21:33
I owned the dearer TubeBox SE and didn't reckon much on it!

I prefered the Cambridge 640P at a third of the price.

Clive197
06-10-2013, 21:59
I used to sell them when a customer wanted something cheap and cheerful. They do a reasonable job but don't expect it to sound anything more than a hundred pounds worth.

Stubies
06-10-2013, 22:06
I think what I'm hearing is don't mess around with the middle step - save up for a better model

Thanks for your help guys!

Any recommendations for a good value phono stage - can i get something good up to around 200?

walpurgis
07-10-2013, 08:01
I think what I'm hearing is don't mess around with the middle step - save up for a better model

Any recommendations for a good value phono stage - can i get something good up to around 200?

I think this has been said many times. Get a Cambridge 640P!

At £200 or under there's nothing new that will better it. They and the MM only 540P, crop up on eBay regularly for not much money.

I've had many of the sub £500 phono stages and quite honestly (with a couple of exceptions), most of them don't come close to the Cambridge. I think you be very happy with what the 640P can do, it's sweet sounding, quite vibrant and not lacking in body. Compared to £500+ phono stages, all it lacks is just the last degree of detail and transparency, but it is very musical.

YNWaN
07-10-2013, 08:09
Yep, buy a Cambridge and then get it modified by Arkless Electronics.

Gordon Steadman
07-10-2013, 08:57

Contact Alan (Firebottle) and get one of his to test. I've heard the prototypes and they've been improved since then. Much better than my Creek.

Stubies
07-10-2013, 20:09
I think this has been said many times. Get a Cambridge 640P!

At £200 or under there's nothing new that will better it. They and the MM only 540P, crop up on eBay regularly for not much money.

I've had many of the sub £500 phono stages and quite honestly (with a couple of exceptions), most of them don't come close to the Cambridge. I think you be very happy with what the 640P can do, it's sweet sounding, quite vibrant and not lacking in body. Compared to £500+ phono stages, all it lacks is just the last degree of detail and transparency, but it is very musical.

Thanks Geoff sounds like good advice I will!

Stubies
07-10-2013, 20:13
Contact Alan (Firebottle) and get one of his to test. I've heard the prototypes and they've been improved since then. Much better than my Creek.

I have read about firebottle's and the reviews are great - anyone compared it to the Cambridge 640p?

twotone
07-10-2013, 20:26
I have read about firebottle's and the reviews are great - anyone compared it to the Cambridge 640p?

I've currently got a Firebottle on loan and I'm hoping to have modded CA 640p delivered, maybe this week, so that I can compare both.

Andrew B
07-10-2013, 20:39
Clearly some people have had good results with the 640p, but I thought it was one of the least inspiring hifi products I've ever owned. I would honestly rather not use vinyl than listen to it through the Cambridge. Other than the Pioneer A400 MC stage, I've not heard worse from any amplifier's built in offering.

That said, you can really afford into try it yourself and lose nothing. There is good demand for used ones, helped greatly by the number of people wanting to have them modded. It will be interesting to see what you make of it.

Floyddroid
11-10-2013, 07:12
Eastern Electric Minimax