PDA

View Full Version : Regrets....

icehockeyboy
02-10-2013, 11:32
Having spotted certain things in the classifieds, it prompted me to ask if you've any regrets on not buying bits of Hifi whilst it was there.

I had the chance to buy some Spendor SP1's and 3's at the totally barmy price of £40 when the radio station I worked for had a refurb.

Oh, that and giving away some Cambridge R40 and R50 speakers free of charge to free up some space in the garage! :doh:

worrasf
02-10-2013, 11:36
Selling my Mission 770's to buy Linn Kans when I was a neophyte Linn/Naim fan boy
:mental:

Steve

istari_knight
02-10-2013, 11:43
Selling my Mission 770's to buy Linn Kans when I was a neophyte Linn/Naim fan boy
:mental:

Steve

Oh dear, my sympathies on that one :doh:

worrasf
02-10-2013, 11:49
I know. With a nod to my rose tinted ears I have really fond memories of that system - Rega P3/R100 - Crimson Electric 510/530 mono blocks - Mission 770's.
Was a junior doc living in residence at Roehampton hospital - happy days :dance:

Steve

Beobloke
02-10-2013, 12:03
I'm sure I've told this one before, but there was an arm on a stall at my local car boot sale for £40 when I was about 14 and my pocket money wouldn't stretch that far, nor did my grandfather (who was with me) have enough money on him.

I went home very sad because, even at 14, I was a turntable geek and consequently recognised a very early round gimbal SME3012 with an Ortofon SPU when I saw it...

synsei
02-10-2013, 12:04
Not so many regrets regarding equipment, however I do deserve to be tied to a post and soundly flogged for giving away almost my entire vinyl collection in the early 90's, some 2000 albums and countless 7" &12" singles... :doh:

realysm42
02-10-2013, 13:10
Dave - ouch!

I've no regrets as my older stereos weren't great and I plan to stick with what I've got for a good while now.

I guess there's plenty of time to get it wrong in the future though...

shane
02-10-2013, 13:16
Managed to give away two EMI Stereoscope 555s. I know I had them, but I have absoutely no recollection of where they went or why :scratch:

8jkEmnxHz3U

synsei
02-10-2013, 13:45
Dave - ouch!

I've no regrets as my older stereos weren't great and I plan to stick with what I've got for a good while now.

I guess there's plenty of time to get it wrong in the future though...

Thanks Martin, I am a prize numpty. Back then I thought CD was king.

My problem now is that I have got to a stage where I am loath to introduce new kit into my system in case I ruin what I have, which sounds pretty damn good. Having said that, as good as the DM2's are, I am confident my system can handle better speakers, therefore if there are going to be any changes in the future then it will be in this department. But... What if that change turns out to be a step backwards? :eyebrows:

istari_knight
02-10-2013, 13:50
There's only one way forward Dave.... Stacked DM2's ! :eyebrows:

synsei
02-10-2013, 14:00

:lol: On the other hand??? :D

worrasf
02-10-2013, 14:06
If I was in London I'd have punted on these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOWERS-AND-WILKINS-B-W-DM2-MARK-II-LOUDSPEAKERS-/321219129112?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4aca26ef18

Steve

synsei
02-10-2013, 14:16
If I was in London I'd have punted on these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOWERS-AND-WILKINS-B-W-DM2-MARK-II-LOUDSPEAKERS-/321219129112?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4aca26ef18

Steve

I've not listened to a pair of MKII's but I remember Mark (Reid Malenfant) had a lot of time for them, and seeing as Mark knows his stuff when it comes to speakers that must mean they are pretty good ;)

Reffc
02-10-2013, 14:39
Regrets? I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention...:whistle:

realysm42
02-10-2013, 15:04
One concern of mine is that I one day over egg the pudding, IE, want to keep improving, and end up realising that the grass is always greener.

In a way I'm pretty happy because I can't make many meaningful changes to what I've got anymore (within my budget and knowledge) so will have to stop soon anyway :)

icehockeyboy
02-10-2013, 15:40

Yeh......but did you do it your way?

twickers
02-10-2013, 15:42

I'm losing all my hair, i need a transplant and hair extensions...:whistle:

jandl100
02-10-2013, 17:32

Ha! - been there, done that.

I had a brief fling with some Rega Juras - 1 pair is good, so 2 pairs ....

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/850/8rno.jpg

:lol:

-- they weren't bad, actually. I bought the 2nd pair from our very own Rob / hoops on toast.

jandl100
02-10-2013, 17:35
Regrets?
Nah, life's too short - bring on the next boxswap! :carrot:

StanleyB
02-10-2013, 17:37
You had the TC-7510 those days ;).

Which of the Thiel speakers are those?

jandl100
02-10-2013, 17:42
Thiel CS2.3 - great speakers. :thumbsup: They saw off quite a lot of boxswap pretenders, including a pair of Yammie 1000M that I sold on to someone around here ..... ;)

jandl100
02-10-2013, 17:43
You had the TC-7510 those days ;).

How do you know that? :scratch:

realysm42
02-10-2013, 17:44
Jerry, did the top ones come loose over time?

seoirse2002
02-10-2013, 17:46
Managed to give away two EMI Stereoscope 555s. I know I had them, but I have absoutely no recollection of where they went or why :scratch:

8jkEmnxHz3U

Reminds me of the EMI turntable with trolly stand from a radio station I worked for that I gave away because I had no room(but had in the garage!!!):doh:

jandl100
02-10-2013, 17:51
Jerry, did the top ones come loose over time?

come loose? - no, but you had to be careful not to bump into them. :)

StanleyB
02-10-2013, 17:52
How do you know that? :scratch:
It's on the floor under the cabinet:eyebrows:.

I have a set of those Thiel speakers. The passive bass speakers are incapable of producing the bass from the BM2 with the same accuracy and speed as the NS1000M. So I can't use them with heavy bass music. Looking for a buyer who can collect because of that.

mjkelshaw
02-10-2013, 18:04
1. Trading in my Ion Obelisk 3 / X-Pak / FMT-1 for some Linn Kit - 1996

2. Dumping 2 pairs of B & W DM70's to make room in my garage for a custom built BMW R100R on my return from China - 2004

3. Selling the above R100R for a 'song' when I thought I was moving back permanently to China - 2010

4. Selling my original Quad 33 / 303 / FM3 / AM3 plus a Quad 34 / 306 / FM4 plus a Pair of Royd Edens plus a Roksan Xerxes / Artimiz / Chorus Black - again as above - 2010

5. Not selling all my Linn kit instead of the above - 2010

The only 'up-side' to this sorry tale is that I didn't part with my Garrard, my Thoren's and my BMW R100GS P.D., and this year I have managed to acquire a Quad 44 / 405-2 / FM4 to partner the 401 & the TD124, so at least I have something to remind me of the 'good old days'.

Mike Kelshaw

Martyn Miles
05-10-2013, 06:41
Regrets?
Not keeping a pair of Audiomaster LS3/5as. Not for the sound, but for the fact I could now sell them for twice the £700 I got a few years ago...

Gordon Steadman
05-10-2013, 07:27
Too right I have some regrets but then again, only two to mention.

Yamaha Tuner amp - forget the number, I think CR600 - so lovely looking and sounded fine, keep seeing them on eBay and get tempted
Quad33/50Ds/FM3 to fund a CD rebuild that didn't work. Not quite true, it worked for about three days.:(

Being happy with the system for so long has meant that upgraditus has been avoided.

Reffc
05-10-2013, 09:46
Trading in my Ion Obelisk 3 / X-Pak / FMT-1 for some Linn Kit - 1996[/B]

2. Dumping 2 pairs of B & W DM70's to make room in my garage for a custom built BMW R100R on my return from China - 2004

3. Selling the above R100R for a 'song' when I thought I was moving back permanently to China - 2010

4. Selling my original Quad 33 / 303 / FM3 / AM3 plus a Quad 34 / 306 / FM4 plus a Pair of Royd Edens plus a Roksan Xerxes / Artimiz / Chorus Black - again as above - 2010

5. Not selling all my Linn kit instead of the above - 2010

The only 'up-side' to this sorry tale is that I didn't part with my Garrard, my Thoren's and my BMW R100GS P.D., and this year I have managed to acquire a Quad 44 / 405-2 / FM4 to partner the 401 & the TD124, so at least I have something to remind me of the 'good old days'.

Mike Kelshaw

Tragedy Michael!

I have an ion Obelisk from that era here at the moment and it's a cracking amplifier.

mjkelshaw
05-10-2013, 19:38
Tragedy Michael!

I have an ion Obelisk from that era here at the moment and it's a cracking amplifier.

In '89 I was working in Johannesburg and I rang Chris Brooks to ask him to assemble a compact system which could easily be 'shipped out' to me, but I stipulated that it had to include a Nakamichi CR7E. We agreed on an Ion Obelisk 3, a Rega Planar 3 / Elys, the Nakamichi CR7E, a Creek T40 and Royd Edens on Foundation stands.
After unpacking the items and setting them up, I was really surprised by the quality of the sounds produced. I had agreed to buy the Ion amp because of previous experience with a Nytech XD 252 which I had owned during the early '80's when I was living in Den Haag. I had sold the Nytech when I emigrated to Canada in '81 - "never to return to this sad little island" - Ha! Ha!
Later in '90 when I was living in Den Haag once more, I 'upgraded' the Obelisk 3 with the addition of an X Pak and and swapped out the Rega for a Roksan Xerexes and the Creek for the FMT-1 when it became available. This system provided me with hours of listening pleasure. Den Haag at that time had several wonderful 'record shops' where I could find anything that I wanted on vinyl, including Japanese pressings.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

The Outcast
05-10-2013, 22:21
My Beard CA506/P100 Mk2 combo. Bitterly regret letting them go.

Barry
05-10-2013, 22:35
Reminds me of the EMI turntable with trolly stand from a radio station I worked for that I gave away because I had no room(but had in the garage!!!):doh:

I didn't know EMI made a turntable. Are you sure it was an EMI and not an EMT. What was the model number?

Either way it was a mistake - but we all do it!

Barry
05-10-2013, 22:41
Not being able to afford the £25 the father of a school chum of mine was asking for his Leak Stereo 20 amp and preamp - and not having the sense to ask my father for a loan. :doh:

Turning down a Revox G36 valve two-track tape machine for £25. :doh:

Not taking up my friend's offer to obtain for me a pair of Martin Logan SL3 electrostatic speakers, free of duty and VAT, from the American PX store in Rheindalen. :doh:

southall-1998
05-10-2013, 23:00
Selling my fantastic Linn Keilidh's for Linn Sara's!!

seoirse2002
06-10-2013, 09:41
I didn't know EMI made a turntable. Are you sure it was an EMI and not an EMT. What was the model number?

Either way it was a mistake - but we all do it!

I stand corrected Barry....It was an EMT:rolleyes:

seoirse2002
06-10-2013, 10:05
The US made Paragon Acoustics Speakers model 200 that I originally posted about here until they were recognised by Goraman and turned out to be highly rated in the US in the '80. I used them with the Sumo and Athena pre and power and eventually with the Marantz PM-80 and they sounded exactly as Goraman described...superb. Original thread here:http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?20057-Anyone-recognise-these&highlight=paragon+acoustics

My brother borrowed them and as I wasn't able to get them back from him,I sold them to him eventually .:doh:
Hes still enjoying them and I cant find another pair....at least not here in the UK....I hate going round to his place now...:steam:

Yomanze
07-10-2013, 20:59
In '89 I was working in Johannesburg and I rang Chris Brooks to ask him to assemble a compact system which could easily be 'shipped out' to me, but I stipulated that it had to include a Nakamichi CR7E. We agreed on an Ion Obelisk 3, a Rega Planar 3 / Elys, the Nakamichi CR7E, a Creek T40 and Royd Edens on Foundation stands.
After unpacking the items and setting them up, I was really surprised by the quality of the sounds produced. I had agreed to buy the Ion amp because of previous experience with a Nytech XD 252 which I had owned during the early '80's when I was living in Den Haag. I had sold the Nytech when I emigrated to Canada in '81 - "never to return to this sad little island" - Ha! Ha!
Later in '90 when I was living in Den Haag once more, I 'upgraded' the Obelisk 3 with the addition of an X Pak and and swapped out the Rega for a Roksan Xerexes and the Creek for the FMT-1 when it became available. This system provided me with hours of listening pleasure. Den Haag at that time had several wonderful 'record shops' where I could find anything that I wanted on vinyl, including Japanese pressings.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

How did you find the Royd Edens?

Mr Kipling
07-10-2013, 22:45
In the early '80s I bought a ADC ALT 1 arm - never liked it. For an exra £7 (£47) I could have got a Rega. Still grind me teeth at the thought of it.

In the late '70s I wanted some headphones to replace the skullcrushers I had. Sennheiser 424Xs were flavour of the month. I had a listen to a few and got the 424s, despite preferring a pair of JVCs which were a bit more expensive. I was never totally happy with the lightweight sound of the Sennheisers - but I stuck with them.

PaulStewart
08-10-2013, 22:13
In the late 70's I worked for JVC when they made seriously high end kit. I had the prototype of the JVC AX-9 Super A amp driving a pair of Zero 5s with the ribbon tweeter from a JVC QL-8 (never imported to the UK) and the MC-1 moving coil. When I left the company I could have bought the kit for peanuts and like a twat I didn't 'cos I was going to the Rainbow Theatre in London to set up the recording studio there and I knew I could get new kit..... I did get a nice set up with a Leak Tru-Speed, Quad 11s Etc. then sold that when I went off to the States for a couple of years. Still miss that JVC stuff though.

Ninanina
08-10-2013, 22:42
My only regret was selling my original Klipsch Heresy's and taking so many years to replace them with my NOS Heresy's in the last few months.... phew at least I managed to regain 'that sound' again

Why did I ever sell the first pair of Heresy's? I have no idea whatsoever ..... :doh::doh:

It probably made sense at the time.... :mental::mental:

icehockeyboy
09-10-2013, 12:21
This post is not so much a regret, more a "why on earth did I do it like that?"

For my very first proper TT, a Thorens TD 150, I chose a Goldring G800 cart, and when the stylus needed replacing, I got an 800 E, when that wore out, I bought an 800 Super E stylus.

Why the f*ck did I just not go straight to the top one in the range instead of buying the middle one first?

mjkelshaw
09-10-2013, 20:41
How did you find the Royd Edens?

Hi Neil, I really liked the Edens in conjunction with the Ion amp. Later in the 90's, when I was back 'temporarily' working in England, but suffering withdrawal symptoms because all my kit was in my flat in Den Haag, I bought a Quad 34 / 306 / FM4 system along with a pair of Celestion SL6Si's which really worked for me given my original 33 /303 / FM3 roots - I listen to a wide variety of music, including small group jazz, blues, vocals, & rock but not usually at very high sound levels.
Later, after I had traded-in the Ion amp & tuner, I tried the Eden's with the Quad set up, but they didn't seem to work as well as the Celestion's did with the Quad. As I said before, I really regret parting with the Ion items and especially the Eden's, as I suspect that they might work well with the latest Heed incarnations of the Ion equipment.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

Floyddroid
10-10-2013, 21:28
I do wish i had never got rid of my Exposure six PS seven pre and super eight power amps. They were absolutely terrific. Boogied better than any Naim despite what dealers used to say at the time. Amps designed and built by a musician for those who loved no nonsense musical presentation. Not the most powerful beasts on the market but they did an awful lot right.

pjdowns
10-10-2013, 21:55
Selling my fantastic Linn Keilidh's for Linn Sara's!!

Yeah the Sara's were crap whereas the Keilidh's were quite accomplished speakers!

pjdowns
10-10-2013, 22:00
1. Ever letting go of my Whafedale Diamond II Speakers to replace the for Rega Kyte speakers...

2. Giving away my Audiolab 8000a rather that fixing it (which would have cost little) :doh:

3. Throwing away my Dual 601 Turntable because I wanted to concentrate on the new digital formats :(

southall-1998
10-10-2013, 22:01
Yeah the Sara's were crap whereas the Keilidh's were quite accomplished speakers!

I deserve to be put down & have my brain removed for doing such thing :)

pjdowns
10-10-2013, 22:27
I deserve to be put down & have my brain removed for doing such thing :)

Yep Shane that was definitely a :doh: moment :lol:

loo
10-10-2013, 22:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88

jandl100
12-10-2013, 05:59

Hmm, well maybe - the Sara's had very low impedance in important parts of the freq band and were a real bitch to drive properly - most amps weren't/aren't up to it.

Anti Meep
12-10-2013, 06:27
Most bits I sold were for a fairly valid reason at the time...still doesn't mean I don't give myself the occasional uppercut though.
Garrard 301 with SME 3009 imp arm. Bugger!
Wharfedale 505/2 speakers. Tight wee speakers they were. Bugger!
Stern Saville Double Six amp. Gorgeous wee amp. Bugger!
Quad 33/303 combo. Really musical. Bugger!
Rogers HG88mk3 amp. Idiot!
Some clown stole my Nakamichi Cassette a Deck 2 and CD Player 4. More of a bugger I didn't catch him in the act.

icehockeyboy
12-10-2013, 22:53
I've recently sold a thorens TT with arm and cart at what very soon afterwards I realised was a stupidly low price.

Add to that the other Thorens SME Shure combo that I sold for a song ( well, looking at what others have sold theirs for) and they can be added to my regrets list.

walpurgis
12-10-2013, 23:00
I've recently sold a thorens TT with arm and cart at what very soon afterwards I realised was a stupidly low price.

Add to that the other Thorens SME Shure combo that I sold for a song ( well, looking at what others have sold theirs for) and they can be added to my regrets list.

I'm assuming that was eBay. I safeguard my listings by using a realistic but not too high starting price. You pay a bit more for the listing, but at least avoid having your stuff go for a song!

icehockeyboy
13-10-2013, 10:13
I'm assuming that was eBay. I safeguard my listings by using a realistic but not too high starting price. You pay a bit more for the listing, but at least avoid having your stuff go for a song!

No, not the bay, I sold it to a mate.
And the one with the SME went via the dreaded w*m! :)