PDA

View Full Version : Starry Night

Andrei
29-09-2013, 08:52
Music is music and poetry is poetry and 'ever the twain shall meet'. It's great when the the lyrics jell with the music. I have put in a few of my favourite fragments.

1. Heroes often fail
Gordon Lightfoot in 'If you could Read my Mind'
Profound. Well yes they do, now that you mention it. Who would think it let alone say it.

2. Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease
The Beatles in 'Come Together'
Pure genius. This sleaze just jells with me.

3. Weathered faces lined in pain
Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand
Don McLean in 'Vincent'
A poetic, if uneven ballad. This line reminds me of an interview I saw of Bernard Haitink where the effect of what he was saying was that to understand Brahms you needed to understand Brahms' love of humanity.

4. And don't try to enchant me with your manner of dress
'Cos a monkey in silk is a monkey no less
Sixto Rogriguez in 'Like Janis'
This comes from the Album 'Cold Fact'. The whole album is filled with meaningful social commentary. As you read this Rodgriguez is probably in his Detroit apartment keeping warm. This is a man who's story needs to be told, and a good effort was made in the movie 'Searching for Sugarman'. Quite apart from the lyrics his voice really should be heard.

But what harasses Larry the most
And makes his soul poor melancholy
Is he thinks of the time when his ghost
It will come in a sheet to Sweet Molly
Elvis Costello in 'The Night before Larry was Streched'
The whole ballad is great and Costello has just the right voice.

Who can add to this list?

cloth-ears
29-09-2013, 14:37
Did you ever see a woman coming out of New York City with a frog in her hand. T Rex

There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis. Kirsty MacColl

Pure poetry

Rothchild
29-09-2013, 16:03
For them there's nothing much better to see than a northern bound train with the serial B3, a fifty year old Brighton 22 ton, listen thanks Mr Stephenson thanks Mr Stephenson..

The Frank and Walters 'Trainspotters' but the first 3 albums at least are packed with gems.

Joe
29-09-2013, 17:49
Dragging my guitar round maternity ward
I was in search of the umbilical chord

HMHB 'Albert Hammond Bootleg'