PDA

View Full Version : quad esl 63 purchase

peelaaa
28-09-2013, 23:08
Just acquired a pair of these, exciting times ahead

wee tee cee
29-09-2013, 06:27
I love mine...yet to have anyone over that hasn't enjoyed them. I recently started placing mine on open stands that I have for spendor sp1s. They benefit from being raised up a bit, the stands are the original ones with castors on the bottom so you can roll them against a wall if any wee ones are around. They work very well in conjunction with temple audio monoblocks.

I bought mine off a member on here a couple of years ago....they aint perfect but what they do they do well....

Enjoy.

Oldpinkman
29-09-2013, 07:23
Very jealous. Need a bigger living room. Even then they are a domestic challenge. Definitely better on good stands well clear of walls more than 6 ft apart and preferably 8ft min from listener. Mind you need those sort of dimensions just to be abke to walk round the room safely:)

Gordon Steadman
29-09-2013, 08:03
Good man, hope you continue to enjoy them for as long as I've enjoyed my 57s.

Without wishing to cover old ground, I can never understand this 'need a bigger room' thing.

There are two important things to keep in mind:
a) The Quads sound better than anything else no matter what size the room (we have used ours in a cupboard and a baronial hall)
b) If the distaff side thinks they are too big/ too ugly/spoil the decor etc etc. - get a new distaff side.

Keep it simple, make the right choices.:)

Oldpinkman
29-09-2013, 08:26
Good man, hope you continue to enjoy them for as long as I've enjoyed my 57s.

Without wishing to cover old ground, I can never understand this 'need a bigger room' thing.

There are two important things to keep in mind:
a) The Quads sound better than anything else no matter what size the room (we have used ours in a cupboard and a baronial hall)
b) If the distaff side thinks they are too big/ too ugly/spoil the decor etc etc. - get a new distaff side.

Keep it simple, make the right choices.:)

Gordon - it's not pure acoustics. In our room, if I achieve 4 feet apart, the right hand speaker will mask the TV for anyone sitting right of axis. It would necessitate removal of the chair that is currently positioned there (well, its footstool). I am the distaff side thinks they are too big and ugly in that context. How do I fix that?

(My mate Owen keeps his stored in another room, and brings them out to listen to, and puts them away when he's finished. Yeah - right - like I'm going to do that!) :rolleyes:

Gordon Steadman
29-09-2013, 08:38
Gordon - it's not pure acoustics. In our room, if I achieve 4 feet apart, the right hand speaker will mask the TV for anyone sitting right of axis. It would necessitate removal of the chair that is currently positioned there (well, its footstool). I am the distaff side thinks they are too big and ugly in that context. How do I fix that?

(My mate Owen keeps his stored in another room, and brings them out to listen to, and puts them away when he's finished. Yeah - right - like I'm going to do that!) :rolleyes:

So get rid of the TV:lol:

How come there's time to watch the goddam noisy box when there is music to play? If anyone else insists, put it in the loft or something!!

PS. A virtual drink to anyone who can tell us where the 'goddam noisy box' quote comes from!!:cool:

The Grand Wazoo
29-09-2013, 09:21
PS. A virtual drink to anyone who can tell us where the 'goddam noisy box' quote comes from!!:cool:

The answer is a literary one, but I like this track by Box of Frogs (warmed up Yardbirds), with Graham Chapman:

'Stranger in a Strange Land'

oA_xGPjNKRk

Gordon Steadman
29-09-2013, 10:34
The answer is a literary one, but I like this track by Box of Frogs (warmed up Yardbirds), with Graham Chapman:

'Stranger in a Strange Land'

oA_xGPjNKRk

Indeed. Good ol' boy Robert Heinlein. I now have all his books on the Mac and boy did he knock out some dross. Thankfully, he also wrote some absolute classics and if I had to choose one it would be 'Stranger'

Enjoy the drink:lol:

Ali Tait
29-09-2013, 11:23
Number of The Beast is not too shabby, neither is Red Planet.

Gordon Steadman
29-09-2013, 11:32
Number of The Beast is not too shabby, neither is Red Planet.

Indeed. I quite like him when he goes all romantic. Door into Summer is a bit gooey but thoroughly enjoyable. Methuselah's Children and its siblings are good too. As I said, he did the classics just as well as the 'pulp'. Gotta make a penny or two...........

..we appear to be drifting:lol:

Ali Tait
29-09-2013, 13:35
Surely not! :lol:

peelaaa
30-09-2013, 11:34
Just had a quick listen today, vocals impressive and subtle detail excellent too. Only listened for 30 minutes, at the moment , I feel my spendor sp2/2 have a sweeter but less detailed mid range. And they are BIG, missus doesn't like them, maybe I will wheel then out when she's out the house.
I'll report back when listened to them more

wee tee cee
30-09-2013, 15:33
Ian,
Leave them on for a few hours they will settle down to a point of transparency that is just magic...I have SP1s but either I could quite happily live with for all my days. You thought about stands with castors, roll them against a wall when not in use!

StanleyB
30-09-2013, 15:38
And they are BIG, missus doesn't like them, maybe I will wheel then out when she's out the house.
Most women don't like competition. Especially one that you prefer to listen to instead of the missus.

peelaaa
30-09-2013, 16:54
Most women don't like competition. Especially one that you prefer to listen to instead of the missus.

Laughed at this, a tad too accurate possibly!

peelaaa
04-10-2013, 16:21
Just had a quick listen today, vocals impressive and subtle detail excellent too. Only listened for 30 minutes, at the moment , I feel my spendor sp2/2 have a sweeter but less detailed mid range. And they are BIG, missus doesn't like them, maybe I will wheel then out when she's out the house.

Ok, listened to the quad 63 more now.

Firstly,wow my recordings sound different. The detail is astounding but from recordings I wasn't expecting. From some of my favourites the recordings sounded disappointing and I enjoyed more from the spendors as they were more forgiving but when playing certain albums it was almost like listening to a different recording.

The main difference was that the Quad's showed which recordings were good or bad, the spendors would not show that as much. One of the few things I disliked about the Quad's was that the music was more mechanical if that is the best word and did not have as much warmth as the spendors.
I feel I have to now update the rest of my system as the Quad's appear so accurate that maybe that 'warmth' has to come form either the source or amp.

Listening to tubular bells on vinyl was an experience.:)