PDA

View Full Version : HD player recommendations?

jl-lb.ms
28-09-2013, 14:26
Hello - I'm trying to figure out how to play "high definition" music. So far, I have a Sony BDP and an Apple TV. The Apple will only play what's in iTunes, and iTunes forces a downsample. No joy on 96/24 files. On to the BD player. Any formats that I've tried other than mp3 result in "No playable files found."

Appreciate any solutions that come to mind, or a recommendation for a dedicated network appliance. I don't want to stream out of my computer, and whatever I get has to be able to output optical audio into an external DAC. I've found at least one, but expensive solution. I'd like to keep it <$500 if possible.

Thanks in advance,

John

Spectral Morn
28-09-2013, 15:42
Hello - I'm trying to figure out how to play "high definition" music. So far, I have a Sony BDP and an Apple TV. The Apple will only play what's in iTunes, and iTunes forces a downsample. No joy on 96/24 files. On to the BD player. Any formats that I've tried other than mp3 result in "No playable files found."

Appreciate any solutions that come to mind, or a recommendation for a dedicated network appliance. I don't want to stream out of my computer, and whatever I get has to be able to output optical audio into an external DAC. I've found at least one, but expensive solution. I'd like to keep it <$500 if possible.

Thanks in advance,

John

Being honest John there is no neat fully compatible all in one solution (that I know of) that can't be bettered for flexibility by a laptop or desktop of suitable specification, running JRiver, in conjunction with a mobile device. tablet running JRemote as remote control.

My first exposure of HD music was via an Olive 4HD which was a nice fairly silent all in one unit, but it was buggy in operation, some what in flexible and sucked sonically via its internal DAC and analogue audio outputs - so I ended up using a Windows 7 laptop, J River and recently an ipad running Jremote and frankly it leaves an Olive dead in its tracks for flexibility etc and fed into a nice Dac via USB such as an iFi iDAC will sound much better than an Olive 4 HD, in my case I use an AMR DP777 DAC.

Good luck on your quest - if you come up with something let us know.

Regards Neil

synsei
28-09-2013, 15:52
To add to Neil's post, if you'd rather not part with cash for JRiver then Foobar2000 is a good free alternative, although it does take some setting up...

jl-lb.ms
28-09-2013, 17:19
So, after some experimentation, I got the BDP to accept WMA files. I bought a software application that converts formats, and I just played with it until I got something to work. Not only that, the BDP wouldn't play anything other than mp3 via the USB port, but would when found by DLNA access of my PC. I guess this is as close to success as I'm going to get without laying out significant coin.

My other option is here, but I really don't want to drop an additional $900, when this experiment was intended to use what I have on hand: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022NPS2000/Yamaha-NP-S2000.html

daytona600
29-09-2013, 19:43
astell&kern AK100 dac/preamp/headphone amp/blu tooth & 24bit/192khz music server MP3 to DSD + fits in your pocket
use one myself
http://www.astellnkern.com/

Light Dependant Resistor
30-09-2013, 02:14
Hi
When i first saw your post I saw HD and thought this to mean hard disk. So reading your post without getting into too much detail I understand you are wanting a convenient playback and record system that is exceptional with audio quality.

Approach 1
Obtain a yamaha CDR HD1500, which is a nice WAV type recorder. You will need to obtain a sufficient IDE hard drive up to 700GB for all your music. 500gb gives over 700 hrs of music storage The next step is to obtain a DBX 150x compander, ideally change its opamps for LME49710 Singles and LM4562 Duals. Set about recording from the best CD player you can find via the DBX onto the yamaha. You will end up with a music storage system sounding better than you can believe. Playing back you expand via the DBX which gives up to 20db of added dynamic range. The yamaha features a optical in and out, but at much lower audio quality.

Approach 2
Ignore every file type, other than Flac or WAV, at an outside is OGG that sounds very good at much smaller file space and build your music storage system. The Mintbox 2, or the earlier Mintbox is a nice small computer that attaches via a HDMI cable to your TV and playback and Flac recording is easy to achieve. The Mintbox enables many USB ports that can attach external hard drives to achieve convenient large music storage. Playback programs recommended are guayadeque or rhythmbox, and Asunder Sound juicer for ripping CD's to Flac or ogg.

Cheers / Chris

Clive197
30-09-2013, 15:48

Thanks in advance,

John

Hi john

Have you tried an OPPO BDP103. It's a universal BluRay player that is able to stream from a computer or NAS drive as well as playing SACD's and the recently available music only BluRays.

Clive

zygote23
30-09-2013, 17:23
astell&kern AK100 dac/preamp/headphone amp/blu tooth & 24bit/192khz music server MP3 to DSD + fits in your pocket
use one myself
http://www.astellnkern.com/

The AK 100 looks a sweet player....one problem with it though is no one seems willing to be upfront about the price. If it's not clearly visible on the web pages I move on.

As for the OP ....I use Logitechs Touch for my Hi rez files. To be honest I'd be very surprised if you can hear any difference between them and bog standard ripped from disc flac files. I've paid for a few HD editions and really cannot differentiate ......

John
30-09-2013, 17:34
I recommend the Oppo or a Sony Blue ray player with USB input it will play WAV and FLAC not as good as the Oppo as a DVD player but just use a decent DAC like a Bushmaster you be surprised how good this is its the equal of the Oppo using this approach just for music and SQ is very decent

Stratmangler
30-09-2013, 17:45
....I use Logitechs Touch for my Hi rez files....

The Squeezebox Touch running EDO into a suitably capable DAC plays 24/192 files without issue.

twickers
30-09-2013, 18:00
I recommend the Oppo or a Sony Blue ray player with USB input it will play WAV and FLAC not as good as the Oppo as a DVD player but just use a decent DAC like a Bushmaster you be surprised how good this is its the equal of the Oppo using this approach just for music and SQ is very decent

My Sony blu-ray plays WAV but not FLAC. Maybe the newer versions are more compatible.:confused:

John
30-09-2013, 18:11
Mine does both

zygote23
30-09-2013, 18:27
The Squeezebox Touch running EDO into a suitably capable DAC plays 24/192 files without issue. Yep I have exactly that Touch, EDO DAC into my Electrocompaniet. Not that you'll notice the 24/192 ;)

Frankyc2003
30-09-2013, 18:28
+ 1
A pretty fool proof hi end player there.
It even works with wireless!

zygote23
30-09-2013, 18:32
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Interesting article on the 24/192 thang

Stratmangler
30-09-2013, 18:45
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Interesting article on the 24/192 thang

Your definition of interesting differs to mine.
You didn't bother reading through all that bollocks did you?

zygote23
30-09-2013, 19:00
LMAO its as much Bollocks as there is in these pages or in fact those of many hifi fora.

Stratmangler
30-09-2013, 19:07
Aye, it's all bollocks :D

Thing is though, the best mastering I've heard of a minor classic from that little known American countryfied beat combo Eagles, namely "Hotel California" is the 24/192 DVD-A release.
It sounds so good because great care was taken with the mastering in order to sell a new format ;)

StanleyB
30-09-2013, 19:26
Hotel California is one of my reference album. I use bit the vinyl and the digital files to compare performance and detail.
The 192 version only really plays properly with a directly wired connection to the SBT. But the WAV version is near impossible to play via the SBT. The Touch chokes on it.

Stratmangler
30-09-2013, 19:32
Hotel California is one of my reference album. I use bit the vinyl and the digital files to compare performance and detail.
The 192 version only really plays properly with a directly wired connection to the SBT. But the WAV version is near impossible to play via the SBT. The Touch chokes on it.

That's because the Squeezebox family were designed to play FLAC natively.
I have no problems getting my Squeezebox Touch to play 24/192 FLAC files at all, and that's including using the rather underpowered built in version of server.

zygote23
30-09-2013, 19:33
Y'all spend too much time worrying about getting the perfect sound......there isnt one. You'll fart, wheeze, get tinnitus, the heating will come on/go off, a car ill pass the house (substitute Chinook if you live here), the cats will fight or you'll momentarily get distracted.

Just give a little listen to the music not the hardware ;)

Stratmangler
30-09-2013, 19:35
Y'all spend too much time worrying about getting the perfect sound......there isnt one. You'll fart, wheeze, get tinnitus, the heating will come on/go off, a car ill pass the house (substitute Chinook if you live here), the cats will fight or you'll momentarily get distracted.

Agreed wholeheartedly :)

StanleyB
30-09-2013, 19:36
Not all of us own just a pocket radio or an iPod ;).

synsei
30-09-2013, 19:44

That is so true.... I'm all for listening to the music ;)

Rothchild
30-09-2013, 20:12
Your definition of interesting differs to mine.
You didn't bother reading through all that bollocks did you?

Funny, but it is about the most credible thing I've read about digital audio for quite some time. When it comes to
digital multimedia this guy is like a founding father: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Montgomery

If you don't want to read all of it maybe you'll enjoy his videos (they're still pretty geeky!) I like this one: http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

Andrei
30-09-2013, 20:14
John I have a slightly different take on this. As you are interested in a high quality files I guess you have high quality equipment, such as amp and speakers. Head over to http://www.stereophile.com/content/2013-recommended-components-disc-players-transports-media-players and then to http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-61

The Oppo family of BDP players play all sorts of Hi Res Discs. SACD, DVDA, BluRay. In addition you can play Hi-res files in Flac or Wav. Pretty much any available rate; eg 24 bit 88,2 Khz or 24 bit 192 khz. If you go with the Oppo 105 and update the firmware you can play hi-res DSD files. I have plugged in a 500GB USB3 external hard drive to the back and have no problems playing from that. Overall a good unit and the DAC is a top-of-the-line ESS Sabre 9018 DAC.

John
30-09-2013, 20:35
I agree the Oppo a fantastic bit of kit but I had them both in my system at the same time using the same DAC and same files and could hear no difference in SQ when just using the external HD (I have a transparent system that is good at picking up differences) which in my listening was the best way to hear music through the Oppo (I do not have any SACD or DVDA but plenty of CDs and using a external HD was easily better than using CD going through the DAC it reminded why I use to dislike CD players lol

jl-lb.ms
01-10-2013, 01:34
Thanks all. The Oppo is now on my"later" list, since I've figured out how to get wma files to play on my Sony BDP. At this moment, I'm just rolling in the less-than-perfect mp3s fed through the Bushmaster II. The improvement is just that good.

All the best,

John

daytona600
01-10-2013, 23:25
The AK 100 looks a sweet player....one problem with it though is no one seems willing to be upfront about the price. If it's not clearly visible on the web pages I move on.

As for the OP ....I use Logitechs Touch for my Hi rez files. To be honest I'd be very surprised if you can hear any difference between them and bog standard ripped from disc flac files. I've paid for a few HD editions and really cannot differentiate ......

£ 579 list price steve , wth some free headphones or vinyl/cd/sacds

zygote23
02-10-2013, 06:37
£ 579 list price steve , wth some free headphones or vinyl/cd/sacds

Whilst it looks sweet bit of kit I would doubt that I would notice any difference between it and my existing mobile solution of HTC and VLC beta playing flac files. Also at that price I'd be expecting fellatio at every street corner by said unit ;)

daytona600
02-10-2013, 14:31
can compete with £2K cd players anything from a MP3 to DSD
blutooth for wireless headphones or your car hifi
headphone amp for walking/gym/train or plug your skybox into the optical dac for late night listening
or use as as server even DSD or 24/192 rips from cd/vinyl
or use use as a pre-amp/server & plug straight into your power amp ( see below )
not bad for only 122grams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M_StLiGZrU

Gazjam
02-10-2013, 16:29
Have to say I've heard one of these?
Its superb.

Forget the size, its a (more than) valid digital source.

Only snag i'd say was that the early versions of the firmware was a bit clunky.
assuming they have sorted that out by now?