PDA

View Full Version : Pesky Mice.....

Ninanina
25-09-2013, 22:50
I'm amazed and wondering how the little buggers have got in but I've got at least a couple of new friends in my house.....MICE... bless their little cotton socks..... NOT !!

Now I am a total animal lover but I'm just not prepared at the moment to cohabit with a couple of the little pesky creatures.... If it was spiders I would be out of the house and running down the street screaming..... I have a real problem with spiders; they do very strange things to me :mental::mental:

However mice it is..... where on earth do they get into my house, I've looked outside and can see no means of entry so maybe they just walked in behind me when I opened the front door :doh:

I absolutely hate killing little creatures but I fear this maybe the only way to control the little sweeties so I've set 3 traps; two have some lovely peanut butter (purchased especially for them tonight!!) and the other with a yummy bit of dark chocolate as apparently they really love both

Anyone else have any ideas of tasty morsels that mice like please let me know.... :eek::eek:

walpurgis
25-09-2013, 23:15
Get a cat!

Failing that put metal gauze over the air bricks on the outside walls of your home (small mice can squeeze through and end up under your floor). Go round the whole exterior of your home with a can of expanding foam and squirt any gap in the walls and masonry full with it. They climb walls and get in through the loft sometimes, not sure what you can do about that.

I had two mouse invasions and since I did the above, no more probs! (I believe you can get humane traps)

Never handle a caught mouse. They bite fiercely and carry germs.

Ninanina
25-09-2013, 23:37
Get a cat!

Failing that put metal gauze over the air bricks on the outside walls of your home (small mice can squeeze through and end up under your floor). Go round the whole exterior of your home with a can of expanding foam and squirt any gap in the walls and masonry full with it. They climb walls and get in through the loft sometimes, not sure what you can do about that.

I had two mouse invasions and since I did the above, no more probs! (I believe you can get humane traps)

Never handle a caught mouse. They bite fiercely and carry germs.

Thanks so much Geoff...... I still luv you all ...... !!!!!

Expanding foam is a great idea as I believe mice can squeeze into the tiniest spaces... I don't think I have any air bricks though

I don't have a cat but the cats round my neighbourhood love me because I feed them some very tasty morsels... now it's their time for pay back - catch my little pesky creatures... :D:D

I do have a humane trap but my friend didn't have a lot of luck with it..

I've got some surgical gloves for when I have to handle a deceased little one.... :D

PS .... Fairey Delta II

walpurgis
25-09-2013, 23:47
PS .... Fairey Delta II

My god you're good! Not many people would remember this truly beautiful plane. It led the whole world forward a huge leap!

(better find something tricky now)

Ninanina
25-09-2013, 23:51
My god you're good! Not many people would remember this truly beautiful plane. It led the whole world forward a huge leap!

The new picture is a bit tricky to make out.... I'll try and give it a go though....

Ninanina
26-09-2013, 00:05

I really can't get that one Geoff... looks like 6/8 engine mono sea plane but that's all I can get... :doh:

Oldpinkman
26-09-2013, 05:40
Peanut butter should do the job. However, my stepson tempted a rat into his room with crisps, ice cream, biscuits, cheese and other food leftovers. Humane traps have to be emptied - are you planning to rehome them with your neighbours? The little sods managed to get in AND back out of the last ones I set...
They also chewed through the filler foam (although at least that evidence helped me know here to set the traps). Wire mesh needs to be the very small holes - the bones in their heads can move to let them squeeze through holes as small as 1cm.
Have fun :)

Oldpinkman
26-09-2013, 05:56
And its tricky geoff because every time I look at a comment about your avatar its moved on! But at 6.53 a russian turonistan bomber ;)

MikeMusic
26-09-2013, 07:03
Humane traps are fine as long as you take them some distance away.
I took our visitors about half a mile away down the bottom of the fields with no house anywhere remotetly near

Oldpinkman
26-09-2013, 07:50
Humane traps are fine as long as you take them some distance away.
I took our visitors about half a mile away down the bottom of the fields with no house anywhere remotetly near

Yeah - I had an ex-girlfriend who was militant veggie and RSPCA, so used to let her do that. Sadly they are probably those larger grey house mice, and not tiny brown field mice, so they will die slowly of cold and hunger instead of being knocked out like a light.

Canetoad
26-09-2013, 09:05
Being an animal lover is fine but to think that being mauled to death by a playful cat is more humane than the traditional mouse trap is bonkers. Just set them and, hopefully, you'll give them a quick, painless death.

jollyfix
26-09-2013, 09:31
Very true Richard and Bernie, the humane traps are not that great. Mice tend to be active during the wee hours, people tent to empty traps in the morning.
We had some mice a few years ago, set a few humane traps . checked in the morning, one trap closed. Great, drove over a mile away, opened the trap to see a half dead with stress/shock mouse. The thing was soaked in its own piss, and when finally out of the trap could hardly move etc.
I thought never again, far more humane to have a quick death.
I set some cheap death traps, caught 3 more. Would rather have a dead mouse than a huge electricians bill, friends had mice, the mice gnawed at some elec cables, floor boards up etc, was not cheap.

walpurgis
26-09-2013, 14:02
And its tricky geoff because every time I look at a comment about your avatar its moved on! But at 6.53 a russian turonistan bomber ;)

Yes it is Russian. I have it down as a Kalinin K-7!

Ninanina
26-09-2013, 15:17
I've checked the traps and none have sprung but the chocolate has been nicked on one of them!! I think I've got smart mice :hmm:

wee tee cee
26-09-2013, 15:54
butter and jam works just fine.......humane traps are pish or full of shit depending on how often you check them.
Neck snappers every time-try adjusting the trigger with pliers,just be careful you don't kill a finger instead.
Had one with half its nose caught still going mental break dancing, not nice but the wee bastards had used a goretex cycling jacket for bedding!!!!!

Still have field mice at the rear of my patio.....sitting one night with my fearless mother in law when one appeared and just stared at her- I laughed so hard I thought a bit of pee had came out......she screamed like a spoilt child in a toy shop ( laughing just typing this!)

Oldpinkman
26-09-2013, 16:32
I've checked the traps and none have sprung but the chocolate has been nicked on one of them!! I think I've got smart mice :hmm:

That's not mice - that's teenagers! :lol:

Oldpinkman
26-09-2013, 16:37
If you find you're losing fingers, try these

http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/9410924/reviews.htm

And try melting the chocolate on, or just stick with peanut butter - but just a teeny bit. ;)

Ninanina
26-09-2013, 19:21
If you find you're losing fingers, try these

http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/9410924/reviews.htm

And try melting the chocolate on, or just stick with peanut butter - but just a teeny bit. ;)

Thanks Richard those traps look a bit better than my basic wooden ones, I'll get a couple tomorrow to try

Melting chocolate onto the trap is a good idea too, I'll try that in a min

Thanks for all your suggestions... They are so crafty :)

Tim
26-09-2013, 19:37
I had a problem last year, mice can squeeze through tiny holes, if a pencil will fit in a gap, a mouse can get through it.

Wasted money on all sorts of traps and ideas but nothing working . . . till I bought these :eyebrows:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=snap+e+mousetrap&tbm=shop

No trapped fingers and no escape. Peanut butter, chopped Mars bars or squeezy cheese work well.

OwsnanzQE3A

pjdowns
26-09-2013, 20:01
Charge the rent, that'll get rid if the blighters :lol:

Ninanina
26-09-2013, 20:02
Thanks Tim
Love the vid... well apart from the actual killing bit... maybe my wooden traps are pretty useless then if the little ones can rest a foot on it and it still doesn't go off :doh:

Ninanina
26-09-2013, 20:08
Charge the rent, that'll get rid if the blighters :lol:

He he he..... yeah I think that'd do it.... :lol::lol:

RobbieGong
26-09-2013, 21:20
Absolutely cannot stand mice, they do me in :eek: and I aint ashamed to says so. Them, the mad sudden scurrying, mice droppings, gnawed food and anything they can get at, splatted end result attached to the trap - everything about them just does me in - HORRIBLE THINGS !!!

Ninanina
26-09-2013, 22:35
Absolutely cannot stand mice, they do me in :eek: and I aint ashamed to says so. Them, the mad sudden scurrying, mice droppings, gnawed food and anything they can get at, splatted end result attached to the trap - everything about them just does me in - HORRIBLE THINGS !!!

I know exactly what you mean Robert.... I'm not too keen either

Having said that if they were spiders I would run a country mile.... spiders do very strange things to me :stalks:

Ninanina
26-09-2013, 23:03
Unbelievably I've not hear a squeak out of the little buggers tonight.... maybe they don't like my food ; )

NRG
26-09-2013, 23:28
We've had mice infestations on and off for the last 10 years! 'Humane Traps' can be anything but! You have to make sure you find the blighters soonish after they've been caught otherwise they either die of stress or die of the cold during winter in a pool of their own wee...not very 'humane'. If released close to the house IE: end of the road...they *will* find their way back! So you have to travel a good distance to release them....I did this one year 12 flippin times....never again!

The wood "Little Snapper" traps are OK for small mice but the bigger ones can remove whatever bait you use and not get caught, this has happened to us on a number of times...the solution we ended up with was to use one of the Rento-kill plastic traps that puts the bait below the trigger platform so the mice have to touch the trigger in order to get to the bait...its been 100% successful so far....I hate doing it but they cause so much damage and seem to be able to get into the loft, garage or whatever no matter how hard we try to stop them!

Ninanina
27-09-2013, 00:30
Thanks Neal for your mouse facts

I'm certainly having no luck catching the little beauties at the moment, so I will try some of those RentoKill plastic ones instead

NRG
27-09-2013, 06:37
http://www.rentokil.co.uk/residential-customers/diy-pest-control-products/mouse-products/advanced-mouse-traps/index.html

Effem
27-09-2013, 21:25
I have got mice living under my shed. They have gnawed through boxes, rags and their favourite seems to be foam pipe lagging.

The one and only consolation is that if you have mice around there are no rats nearby, as rats will kill and eat mice :eek: