PDA

View Full Version : WTD - JBL & Sony Speakers

Xapito
25-09-2013, 11:51
Hi

I'm looking for a pair of either JBL L20-T / T3's, or a pair of undefined Sony APM's. (12, 22, 66, etc)

Please send me a pm if you have a pair of these or see one for sale locally!
Thanks

istari_knight
25-09-2013, 12:21
Hi Filipe, I have no experience of the JBL's but have owned some of the APM range... I've had 12ES, 22ES & 22ES mk2 and in my opinion the only one worth having is the 22ES [mk1].

The 12ES midbass is a fake APM, behind the flat "face" there is a conventional cone with plastic frame... Also the metal dome tweeter on this model is really bright. The 22ES [mk1] is really nice for the money I cant fault it at all sonically however the APM midbass driver has very limited high frequency response so the tweeter had to cross over very low which is why so many blew :( Sony replaced it with a 1" silk dome on the mk2 that stopped them dying but that silk dome has an awful sound signature [really spitty & harsh.]

Just don't want you wasting money on bad speakers [especially if you have to import them !]

Xapito
25-09-2013, 14:01
That's some really nice free advice from you, thanks James. I must confess that, among the models that show up for sale, my main interest would be in the 22's and 66's, and I'm aware of the bad cross frequency in the MK1's ( I think that can be corrected?). The real APM's never show up for sale, and if they do the cost would be ridiculous.

APM wise, This all started with a pair of 404's... you need to check the inside and hear it to believe it!! I'm also curious about the Technic's SB-F and X series.

Cheers!

Xapito
02-10-2013, 11:04
Adding JBL's L1 to the list! :>