PDA

View Full Version : Tracks to demo HiFi ?

Audio Al
23-09-2013, 19:31
When at the NAS show this year as last year the music playing in almost all the rooms was :scratch:

Tracks and artist I have never herd of so I had no way of judging the sound quality or any way of comparing the music I prefer to listen to

I asked 5 or 6 times for several track to be told NO we don't( Await the " your music is pish " comments :lol: ) have that even in digital format

So the question is this

What tracks would you recommend to give manufactures systems a proper work out covering almost all frequency's :D

I will collect some for next years show ;)

johnB
24-09-2013, 15:25
When at the NAS show this year as last year the music playing in almost all the rooms was :scratch:

Tracks and artist I have never herd of so I had no way of judging the sound quality or any way of comparing the music I prefer to listen to

I asked 5 or 6 times for several track to be told NO we don't( Await the " your music is pish " comments :lol: ) have that even in digital format

So the question is this

What tracks would you recommend to give manufactures systems a proper work out covering almost all frequency's :D

I was at Whittlebury on Sunday and in 3 rooms they were playing Hugh Masekela.....in fact this album

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/image_zpsf81c579c.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/image_zpsf81c579c.jpg.html)

Tarzan
24-09-2013, 19:55

So the question is this

Amazing as you have no phonostage and l have most of your records:ner:

daytona600
25-09-2013, 09:39
Hope by Hugh Maskela on 200g 45rpm Vinyl or CD/Sacd sounds great on a Midi system. On a really good system can sound sublime
On a fantastic system can sound like a Real Live Band , one of my best selling titles

Tarzan
25-09-2013, 09:51
Led Zep 1V l am cleaning for you Al- you are gonna enjoy it, sounds really good.:fingers:

Macca
25-09-2013, 09:54
I'm fairly convinced that Walter Becker's 'Circus Money' is the best production I have ever heard on a commercial release. Good music, too.

Ali Tait
25-09-2013, 11:32
Hope by Hugh Maskela on 200g 45rpm Vinyl or CD/Sacd sounds great on a Midi system. On a really good system can sound sublime
On a fantastic system can sound like a Real Live Band , one of my best selling titles

Yep agreed, a fantastic recording. £50 though!

Yomanze
25-09-2013, 13:46
To cover all frequencies I would buy Massive Attack's Mezzanine and use the whole album as a reference. Epic production and mastering, huge basslines, heavily layered instrumentals and silky vocals. Whilst it sounds good on most systems it really shines with superior gear.

Yomanze
25-09-2013, 13:51
If you really want to test a system then Joni Mitchell's Blue album will tear apart any overly sibilant or unnatural sounding HiFi.

MikeMusic
25-09-2013, 14:46

So the question is this

I have a few
Ry Cooder - Bop til you drop
Mavis Staples - We'll never turn back
Tears for Fears - Elemental
Shelby Lynne - Love Shelby
Audience - Lunch
Brand X Is there Anything About?
Kissing the Pin Naked
Renee Reaching for the Sky
Shriekback Tench
Steve Miller Ba Italian XRays
Steve Vai Mystery Tracks Arch
David Sancious Cinema
Mountain Goats The Sunset Tree
Robert Palmer Rhythm & Blues
Eno / Jah Wobble Spinner promo
Gomez Bring it on
Blur 13
Harold Budd The White Arcades
Laurie Anderson Strange Angels
Laurie Anderson Strange Angels CDR
Kevin Ayers Diamond Jack and the Quee
Mountain Goats The Life of the World to
Was (Not Was) Boo! ("Boo!")
Various inc Mel 6 String Adelica
Tortoise / Bonn The Brave and the Bold
Gary Numan Pure
XTC The Big Express
Paul McCartney Memory almost full - 1st
Paul McCartney Memory almost full 2nd 1
Paul McCartney Flaming Pie
Was (Not Was) What up Dog ?
Eric Clapton Pilgrim
Sting Sacred Love
Joni Mitchell Turbulent Indigo
Mitch Ryder and Rev Up Best of
Eric Clapton Rush
Baaba Maal Nomad Soul
Rainer (Ptacek) The Farm
Josh Ritter Hello Starling
Was (Not Was) Out Comes the Freaks 16 T
Carmel The Falling
Gustavo Santaol Ronroco OST
Robert Palmer Double Fun
Was (Not Was) Born to laugh at Tornadoe
Bill Nelson Ban Don't talk to strange dog
Carmel The Drum is everything
FFWD FFWD
Buckethead Colma
Ry Cooder Election Special
Yello Flag
Stan Ridgway Anatomy
Stan Ridgway Partyball
Stan Ridgway Mosquitos

there are others, once I get around to rating :)

Gordon Steadman
25-09-2013, 14:52
If you really want to test a system then Joni Mitchell's Blue album will tear apart any overly sibilant or unnatural sounding HiFi.

+1 and add Hejira.

Plus Dave Brubeck Take 5 and The Girl from Ipenema by Stan Getz, Close miked male voice will sound horrid if the system isn't clean and when the sax comes in, it should raise the hairs on the back of your neck.

Thing Fish
25-09-2013, 15:10
The Paul McCartney unplugged vinyl has always been amazing imho as is Diana Krall's live in Paris on 2 x 45rpm vinyl.

Thing Fish
25-09-2013, 15:26

Scott, having checked this album out on youtoob I may have to pull the trigger on the vinyl 2 x 45rpm on pay day...:)

Can I afford not to...:eyebrows:

Audio Al
25-09-2013, 15:35
Scott, having checked this album out on youtoob I may have to pull the trigger on the vinyl 2 x 45rpm on pay day...:)

Why 45rpm :scratch:

Thing Fish
25-09-2013, 15:37
Why 45rpm :scratch:

If i'm going to buy it I want the best version available that's all.

Having said that I have heard that 'Home is where the heart is' is a better album musically if not sonically and the music is ultimately where it's at.

Audio Al
25-09-2013, 15:40
If i'm going to buy it I want the best version available that's all.

Having said that I have heard that 'Home is where the heart is' is a better album musically if not sonically and the music is ultimately where it's at.

Is 45 rpm better than 33 rpm ? playback

Thing Fish
25-09-2013, 15:44
Is 45 rpm better than 33 rpm ? playback

Oh yes...:)

Only downside is you have to get up every 10 - 15 minuets to turn the damned thing over...:lol:

Audio Al
25-09-2013, 15:54
Oh yes...:)

Only downside is you have to get up every 10 - 15 minuets to turn the damned thing over...:lol:

33 rpm for me then :D

Firebottle
25-09-2013, 19:43
Just been listening to Rhythm of the Saints by Paul Simon.
I think that would be a good demo record, lots of layering and depth.

I have got it on CD but just bought it in the UK on vinyl for £1, one of the best £1 I've ever spent, it's magnificent.

:cool: Alan

pjdowns
26-09-2013, 22:39
To cover all frequencies I would buy Massive Attack's Mezzanine and use the whole album as a reference. Epic production and mastering, huge basslines, heavily layered instrumentals and silky vocals. Whilst it sounds good on most systems it really shines with superior gear.

I agree that is a sublime album... Others for me would be:

Mary Black - No Frontiers
Mary Black - Babes in the Wood
Mary Black - Circus
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman (Even better on Vinyl)
Eric Clapton - Reptile
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Phil Collins - Both Sides
Peter Gabriel - SO
Peter Gabriel - US
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Michael Jackson - Bad
Massive Attack - Blues Lines
Noah & The Whale - Last Night On Earth
REM - Automatic For The People
Nitin Sawhney - Beyond Skin
Nitin Sawhney - Human
Paul Simon - Graceland
Paul Simon - Rhythm Of Saints

There are a ton of others but I'm bored now :lol:

daytona600
27-09-2013, 11:43

PM or email your address dave will pop one out in the post for you

Audioman
28-09-2013, 08:14
Obvious for dynamics woulds be -
Pink Floyd - The Wall. Side 1 plus 'Comfortably Numb'
Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tiller Man.

plus for material and overall recording quality -
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years (his best sounding recording).
Mary Black - No Frontiers. 'Columbus'.
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman (fantastic on vinyl in spite of being a digital recording).
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis (Analogue Productions 45rpm - Cosmo Murphy was playing it at Whittlebury).
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold. Side 1 (Great guitar recording even though a regular demo disc).
Joni Mitchell - Mingus . "The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines" (Great sounding though a departure from her usual material).
Jackson Brown - Running On Empty (mostly live).

Canetoad
28-09-2013, 12:05
Blue Collar - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Desireless - Eagle Eye Cherry
Is This Love - Bob Marley
Some Must Dream Nils Lofgren (Acoustic Live)
Black Stick - The Cruel Sea

Joe
28-09-2013, 12:08
Raw Power by Iggy and the Stooges is the only album you really need, for demo-ing or anything else.

seoirse2002
28-09-2013, 12:28
:scratch:
Raw Power by Iggy and the Stooges is the only album you really need, for demo-ing or anything else.

jollyfix
28-09-2013, 12:59
A band called o -- track-- Coasting, great speaker panning, cymbal rolls and crashes, great bass and guitar.
Candi Stanton -- track-- His hands.
XTC -- track-- Greenman, great intro.

there are so many, i will get back to this later.

synsei
28-09-2013, 13:48
If you want a track that will test just about everything then there really is only one which fits the bill (well actually they are two individual tracks but the first segue's into the second), and they are, Lucia De Lammemoor and The Diva Dance from Eric Serra's soundtrack for Fifth Element (tracks 14 & 15).

spotify:album:4AjdY0NYlYZhKSSlGZA1Zp

If you want to give your woofers/sub-woofers a real workout then you might want to play track eight too, Five Millenia Later... :D

spotify:track:0eugLcn48WUHYna8iluSYj

...and then there is this rather lovely composition from the pens of both Serra and Peter Gabriel:

spotify:track:3eYbKG4k5U20oY4mORNee4

johnB
28-09-2013, 14:39

Bowie mix or Iggy mix?.......latter for me.....loud!

Sonority
28-09-2013, 22:20
If you want a track that will test just about everything then there really is only one which fits the bill (well actually they are two individual tracks but the first segue's into the second), and they are, Lucia De Lammemoor and The Diva Dance from Eric Serra's soundtrack for Fifth Element (tracks 14 & 15).

spotify:album:4AjdY0NYlYZhKSSlGZA1Zp

If you want to give your woofers/sub-woofers a real workout then you might want to play track eight too, Five Millenia Later... :D

spotify:track:0eugLcn48WUHYna8iluSYj

...and then there is this rather lovely composition from the pens of both Serra and Peter Gabriel:

spotify:track:3eYbKG4k5U20oY4mORNee4

Hmm, have you tried the opening (long) track from The Dark Knight (Batman) Apart from being some of the most brutal 'music' out there it truly will give your system a work out - and then some - especially when the sine wave hits..

jl-lb.ms
29-09-2013, 14:54
Thanks for the heads up on Circus Money. I've been listening to "11 Tracks" and this is a good follow-on. I resisted the urge to purchase through iTunes and ordered the CD. :)

Thanks, John.

Audio Al
29-09-2013, 16:28
Some good suggestions

Macca
29-09-2013, 16:29
Thanks for the heads up on Circus Money. I've been listening to "11 Tracks" and this is a good follow-on. I resisted the urge to purchase through iTunes and ordered the CD. :)

Thanks, John.

Yep, it's top shag isn't it?