PDA

View Full Version : Misleading supermarkets.

icehockeyboy
23-09-2013, 11:50
Why is it that my small, independent local mini mart can sell the large blocks of Cathedral City Cheddar for £3, and yet Tesco etc, all claim they are selling it at half price at £3/£3.50?

Furthermore, the small local shops cheese doesn't have the packaging claiming that it's reduced down to £3.

Add to that Aldi sell a mature cheddar equally as good as the CC at just £1.89!

Moan over!

StanleyB
23-09-2013, 11:58
Why is it that my small, independent local mini mart can sell the large blocks of Cathedral City Cheddar for £3, and yet Tesco etc, all claim they are selling it at half price at £3/£3.50?
Maybe it is made from horse milk on an island in the Pacific and cost a lot to transport to the UK?

Effem
23-09-2013, 12:02
Maybe it is made from horse milk on an island in the Pacific and cost a lot to transport to the UK?

Or maybe the supermarkets are slowly arriving at the destination they set out to achieve - a complete monopoly where they control all the prices and next to no competition to concern them

icehockeyboy
23-09-2013, 12:03
With the milk pulled by virgins wearing gossamer gloves? :)

Macca
23-09-2013, 12:43
My local shop is cheaper for beer than the giant Sainsbury's just a stone's throw away. In additon you can buy a single can from the shop, in Sainsbury's you have to buy a four pack, plus the beer is chilled in the local shop but warm in Sainsbury's. This applys to all brands of beer, the only explanation I can come up with is that Sainsburys are first class rob dogs.

Effem
23-09-2013, 12:53
In defence of supermarkets, if you buy a packet of fags at a local corner shop it's not unusual to pay an extra £1.00 or more per packet over what the supermarkets charge.

bob4333
23-09-2013, 13:42

Furthermore, the small local shops cheese doesn't have the packaging claiming that it's reduced down to £3.

Add to that Aldi sell a mature cheddar equally as good as the CC at just £1.89!

Moan over!

Yes, but Tesco will do you a bargain. £3 each or two for £6.00 - now you can't say fairer than that.

Stopped having anything to do with Tesco a few years ago - done me over just once too often.

And then there are those special tomatoes that go furry before you get them home.............

walpurgis
23-09-2013, 14:45
In defence of supermarkets, if you buy a packet of fags at a local corner shop it's not unusual to pay an extra £1.00 or more per packet over what the supermarkets charge.

It's the other way round in this area. Shop baccy & fags cheaper than the supermarkets. As is everything else, like fruit & veg, bread, etc.

twickers
23-09-2013, 15:27
It's the other way round in this area. Shop baccy & fags cheaper than the supermarkets. As is everything else, like fruit & veg, bread, etc.

Same here. Plus the guy at the local shop does cheaper deals on beer and spirits if your a regular binge drinker.

Puffin
24-09-2013, 16:23
What about the superb offers on wine "special offer this week Snafflebacks Penis Grogio.....was £9.99.....now down to £4.99". I could have sworn I saw Pinnochio putting the sign up. Like it was ever £9.99. Pathetic attempt to make you believe you are getting a bargain.