PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for integrated amplifier for third system

worrasf
22-09-2013, 15:04
Now I have the BM II installed in system 1 I have a "spare" BM I /venom looking for a new role.
I have decided to use it with my Wadia 170 (Audicom signature upgrade)/Teddy Pardoe PSU and Ruark Epilogues in the dining room/conservatory. Just need an appropriate integrated amp.
Needs to be smallish footprint and cheap (come on guys it is my third system and wont be used that much). There's lots of boxes out there but they tend to be big boxes and have far too many inputs - I just need a single line in from the BM 1. I am very tempted by the Bantam Gold T amp - not least the price is right (c £185). Never heard one but read good things - all suggestions welcome but budget on this is £250 max with no mission creep.

Steve

Andrew B
22-09-2013, 15:10
Buy a used Onix OA21 or a Myst Tma3. NVA amps would suit too, as would Ion Obelisks, although I prefer the others by a margin.

All of the above sound good, take up little room and cost very little.

Oldpinkman
22-09-2013, 17:22
Buy a MYST TMA3??? Where? I have been looking on and off for that amp most of my life. They are like rocking horse shit - very hard to find ;)

Andrew B
22-09-2013, 17:39
I've had a few :) Nice amps still today and they never seem to go wrong. I sold one about six months ago and really wish I'd kep it for nostalgia.

istari_knight
22-09-2013, 18:05
+1 I got lucky & found one for £30 with "one channel blown" turned out to be the speaker protection fuse :eyebrows: Nice little amp, not sure what they sell for now but I wouldn't pay more than £150 for a minter but as Pinkman says good luck finding one.

I liked the HLLY TAMP-90 I had for a bit... Sony TA-F3000ES is also worth keeping an eye out for.

Ninanina
22-09-2013, 18:05
Hi Stephen
I would really recommend the Temple Audio Bantam Gold 'D' amp. I've been trying it against some pretty expensive gear and it is certainly holding it's own, which is amazing really. If it helps you can have 60 days trial from Temple just to make sure. I'm guessing you will need reasonably sensitive speakers (mine are about 95db) to hear it at it's best. Having said that I did run another 'T' amp giving only about 15w and it ran my very insensitive LS 3/5a's, and it did ok considering

John Clayton at Temple also seems a super chap to deal with

VERY highly recommended from me... ; )

worrasf
22-09-2013, 18:36
I've had a few :) Nice amps still today and they never seem to go wrong. I sold one about six months ago and really wish I'd kep it for nostalgia.

I know what you mean - I had (amongst others) a superb Onix that I really should have kept - would have been perfect for the current installation - ho hum - you live and learn although in my case I dont seem to do the learning bit too well :doh:

Steve

worrasf
22-09-2013, 18:36
Hi Stephen
I would really recommend the Temple Audio Bantam Gold 'D' amp.

VERY highly recommended from me... ; )

That's good to hear - thanks.

Steve

Rare Bird
22-09-2013, 18:37
Buy a MYST TMA3??? Where? I have been looking on and off for that amp most of my life. They are like rocking horse shit - very hard to find ;)

You did not look hard enough ive seen at least two on auction this year..but obviously more

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Sound-Vision-/293/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=myst&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc