PDA

View Full Version : Easy Come Easy Go...

Haselsh1
16-05-2009, 12:14
Hmmm... Marianne Faithful and her latest offering... on vinyl.

OK, the lady no longer has a glorious singing voice. Did she ever...??? This album is a two disc set and is exquisite. If this album were a movie it would be French arthouse imagery. The vinyl is beautifully silent and reasonably heavy but the recording is astonishing. It comprises mainly acoustic instruments all played with extreme precision by highly accomplished musicians with very little evidence of digital messing. The choice of songs is crucial to the success of this album and here Ms Faithful has been truly faithful.

My only complaint... I bought it from Amazon and my first copy comprised two Disc 1's and no Disc 2...!

Spectral Morn
16-05-2009, 21:16
Hmmm... Marianne Faithful and her latest offering... on vinyl.

OK, the lady no longer has a glorious singing voice. Did she ever...??? This album is a two disc set and is exquisite. If this album were a movie it would be French arthouse imagery. The vinyl is beautifully silent and reasonably heavy but the recording is astonishing. It comprises mainly acoustic instruments all played with extreme precision by highly accomplished musicians with very little evidence of digital messing. The choice of songs is crucial to the success of this album and here Ms Faithful has been truly faithful.

My only complaint... I bought it from Amazon and my first copy comprised two Disc 1's and no Disc 2...!

OOPS...that must have been very frustrating. I like Broken English, which was my only trip into Marianne's catalogue of recordings, so far. Yes she has one of those voices you either like or hate...very husky. I used to know (quite well) a film /music documentary maker called John Davis..hes a very talented and nice guy who lives locally (installed a hi-fi for him many years ago). He has regularly had people like Marianne staying in his house. Last person I know of recently was Annie Lennox. He made a fantastic movie about John Lee Hooker that is worth checking out also...I cant remember the name of it...senior moment...sorry.

I will see if I can pick up the Marianne Faithful album somewhere cheap...sounds interesting, thanks Shaun.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
16-05-2009, 21:27
I've got Broken English and Strange Weather, the latter having tremendous atmosphere - was it really from 1987?

The Grand Wazoo
16-05-2009, 23:15
I like Broken English, which was my only trip into Marianne's catalogue of recordings, so far.

Regards D S D L

Best track on 'Broken English' is 'Why D’Ya Do It?', not for the sweary words, but for the Hendrix-'lite backing track.

Haselsh1
23-05-2009, 23:45
I've got Broken English and Strange Weather, the latter having tremendous atmosphere - was it really from 1987?

Hmmm... Just how well does that age us...???