PDA

View Full Version : Amplifiers to drive Isobariks

MikeMusic
21-09-2013, 06:23
Can any of the 'big muscle' power amps drive Isobariks or might there be issues ?

I'm thinking of Chord, Krell, Mark Levinson and that sort of make

Andrew B
21-09-2013, 08:11
KSA50 was/is a dream with Isobariks. I'd expect KSA80 to be great too. I know someone who used an MF A370 and raved about it too.

Truly great speakers IMO :)

MikeMusic
21-09-2013, 08:53
Yes, I think you have to go some to beat Isobariks
Every time I have upgraded my system they have delivered improvements in sound quality.
I have worked my way through my system and am now at power amps.
It is said that Isobariks are very difficult to drive, but I hope that a big muscle amp will be ok.

Spectral Morn
21-09-2013, 09:11
In my humble opinion the Isobariks are an albatross round your neck. By all accounts very hard to get working right both in a room and on the end anything not Naim/Linn.

Frankly I wound dump these and find more room, system friendly speakers.

Regards Neil

StanleyB
21-09-2013, 09:30
They can go down to around 0.5 Ohms, which I blame on the way the drivers are wired into the crossover. Most amps have a protection circuit that kicks in at about 1 Ohm, which is why it is not easy to find an amp that can drive the Isobariks without the protection relays operate.

MikeMusic
21-09-2013, 09:47
In my humble opinion the Isobariks are an albatross round your neck. By all accounts very hard to get working right both in a room and on the end anything not Naim/Linn.

Regards Neil

Take your point, however they have delivered improvements very well from the the upgrades on the rest of the system.
I think the system is now top flight and delivering a great sound even with them as speakers
My next move is looking at power amps
It's the music I'm after so none of my kit is safe from being upgraded and the Isobariks may one day have to prove their worth

MikeMusic
21-09-2013, 09:49
They can go down to around 0.5 Ohms, which I blame on the way the drivers are wired into the crossover. Most amps have a protection circuit that kicks in at about 1 Ohm, which is why it is not easy to find an amp that can drive the Isobariks without the protection relays operate.
Ah thanks
What might that mean if I plug in an amp that can't cope ?
Will I find out right away on a demo ?
Could there be permanent damage to something ?
(non techy is me)

Andrew B
21-09-2013, 09:54
I've never had a problem using Isobariks with anything. Even modest bits like a Cyrus two and Linn Intek have worked without issue, although better amps gave far better sound. My first pair were partnered with a Naim 140 which isn't particularly powerful. The 140 struggles with early Sara's, for instance, but not Briks. There's even been talk of people using Nait 1s.

I'd say have a look on PFM. They have discussed Isobariks many times, so a search will undoubtedly throw up a lot of info.

StanleyB
21-09-2013, 10:02
Ah thanks
What might that mean if I plug in an amp that can't cope ?
Will I find out right away on a demo ?
Could there be permanent damage to something ?
(non techy is me)
You won't have problems with most well built amps if you are not listening at high volume levels. But if you like to wake the dead then check that the amp has some hefty heatsinks. They will dissipate the additional heat created by the low impedance.
Some amps have an automatic power reduction circuit (which is basically a temperature sensor that turns down the available bias to the output stage), which will keep the amp playing, but the bass will be less pronounced compared to from cold.

A sensible choice would be a class A amp to drive the Isobarik. They tend to handle just about any load.

MikeMusic
21-09-2013, 10:23
I've never had a problem using Isobariks with anything. Even modest bits like a Cyrus two and Linn Intek have worked without issue, although better amps gave far better sound. My first pair were partnered with a Naim 140 which isn't particularly powerful. The 140 struggles with early Sara's, for instance, but not Briks. There's even been talk of people using Nait 1s.

I'd say have a look on PFM. They have discussed Isobariks many times, so a search will undoubtedly throw up a lot of info.
I've used a Nait 3 into the Isos while the rest was being serviced.
It was just ok at low to medium low volumes. After that it was not nice. Got me something for a couple of weeks
I'll look over pfm too, thanks

MikeMusic
21-09-2013, 10:26
You won't have problems with most well built amps if you are not listening at high volume levels. But if you like to wake the dead then check that the amp has some hefty heatsinks. They will dissipate the additional heat created by the low impedance.
Some amps have an automatic power reduction circuit (which is basically a temperature sensor that turns down the available bias to the output stage), which will keep the amp playing, but the bass will be less pronounced compared to from cold.

A sensible choice would be a class A amp to drive the Isobarik. They tend to handle just about any load.
Thanks. I like to wake the dead occasionally, not often :)
So seems like most/any big muscle should cope and certainly cope 90% of the time anyway.
I'll check to see if Class A

cloth-ears
22-09-2013, 10:25
I have heard these speakers driven by a Quad 909 to spectacular effect. The 909 has all the muscle as it utilizes no less than six output transistors per channel for load sharing. It’s almost indestructible and can drive a six inch nail. Its output stage is unconditionally stable and unaffected inductance or capacitance. Well worth a listen

MikeMusic
22-09-2013, 11:24
I have heard these speakers driven by a Quad 909 to spectacular effect. The 909 has all the muscle as it utilizes no less than six output transistors per channel for load sharing. It’s almost indestructible and can drive a six inch nail. Its output stage is unconditionally stable and unaffected inductance or capacitance. Well worth a listen

A Quad driving Isos !
Not on my list
I have the nice Mr T coming around next Sunday with his Chord.
We'll see where 1 go from there

trio leo
23-09-2013, 15:03
I'm afraid I'm with DSDL on this one, I personally never liked the sound of Isobariks, too nasal for me, however if you enjoy them that's all that matters.
IMHO the Albarry M608's would have no problem driving your speakers, if you wanted more grunt then the M1108's would certainly offer all you need and some.

hope you find what you're looking for.

enjoy your music

regards Al

sq225917
23-09-2013, 17:45

SIX? I'll see you six and raise you another 20.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2878/9519488560_64a58d2bc0_z.jpg

Andrew B
23-09-2013, 17:49

That would do it alright :)

cloth-ears
23-09-2013, 19:24

Bloody hell, is that an amplifier of a battery charger for a jumbo jet?

Andrew B
23-09-2013, 19:34
It'll probably reproduce the sound from a Jumbo jet accurately...... And at the right volume :)

walpurgis
23-09-2013, 19:41
Bet it's not as loud as my old system!

realysm42
23-09-2013, 19:43
Stop mucking about and get yourself a Sanders Magtech. Designed to drive hard loads and not break a sweat, amazing bit of gear.

MCRU
23-09-2013, 19:47
Can any of the 'big muscle' power amps drive Isobariks or might there be issues ?

I'm thinking of Chord, Krell, Mark Levinson and that sort of make

You need to find a dealer who will loan you one, that may be problematic considering you have named the "usual suspects" when it comes to power amps, try thinking outside the box I suggest

MikeMusic
24-09-2013, 08:02
I'm afraid I'm with DSDL on this one, I personally never liked the sound of Isobariks, too nasal for me, however if you enjoy them that's all that matters.
IMHO the Albarry M608's would have no problem driving your speakers, if you wanted more grunt then the M1108's would certainly offer all you need and some.

hope you find what you're looking for.

enjoy your music

regards Al

I'm working on one piece of the chain at a time.
In just over a year I have replaced CD, Vinyl, although LP12 still around to be compared, Pre Amp, interconnects, mains cables and mains regenerator
I have added SUT and Phono Pre Amp
Quiet a few other things tweaked or moved around
Sound quality is a league or 2 higher than when I started
Isos doing a damned good job still, especially considering how old they are.
There must be few people who have Isos driven by such a quality front end

MikeMusic
24-09-2013, 08:16
Stop mucking about and get yourself a Sanders Magtech. Designed to drive hard loads and not break a sweat, amazing bit of gear.

Yes. On my not so short list

MikeMusic
24-09-2013, 08:20
You need to find a dealer who will loan you one, that may be problematic considering you have named the "usual suspects" when it comes to power amps, try thinking outside the box I suggest

Had the same issue with the Pre Amp. Short cut that as I had heard Martin's doing such a fine job and I just don't have the time to listen to so many.
Might happen with the power amps too.....

hifi_dave
24-09-2013, 16:44
Exactly and I have been saying this to Mike for a year or more.

OK, I know he lurves his Briks but they really aren't up to the rest of his system and limit his choice of amp somewhat. I would say - bite the bullet and move on to a whole new world of Hi-Fi..:rolleyes:

Regards Neil

sq225917
24-09-2013, 18:33
Shahinans..

MartinT
29-09-2013, 17:14
My Chord SPM-1200E at Mike's powering his Isobariks this afternoon. We had a really good session of comparing the Chord against his Naim NAP500 (and listening to my newly refurbished Gale GS401s for fun).

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/10002887995_a0409ca432_b.jpg

My take on it is that the Chord significantly (I use the word with care) outperformed the Naim in the areas of midrange clarity and detail, bass power and extension and dynamic range. I will certainly say that I've never heard Isobariks sound so good and you dismiss them at your peril. The sound we achieved was very open, wide-band and insightful with no tonal tilt at all (the Gales formed a useful baseline comparison).

I'll leave it to Mike to describe his findings.

DSJR
29-09-2013, 19:27
I would have dismissed PASSIVE Isobariks too until I heard a pair driven by a QMI Gain Cell. 400 Watts into a 4 Ohm load and bloody hell, I've NEVER heard passive 'Briks sound so good. Going active was still better since the complex crossover (old and new) still gets in the way quite a bit, but it shouldn't be a problem finding a pro amp for under a grand used that would wipe the pants of any Naim, especially as the bottleneck of the preamp has now been removed. The Chord amp is a pro amp first, but sells a bit in domestic circles too as I remember :)

Sell that bloody Naim while you can still get good money for it!

HiFi Dave - I know you dislike 'briks, but I've heard so many pairs driven by all sorts of things in all sorts of rooms and do know that it is occasionally possible to get them to sound really good. Mike has a very late pair with high-powered mid drivers and the later crossovers in the stands and these were somewhat less screechy than earlier passive examples. Active being better still applies here though!

loo
29-09-2013, 19:46
Wow impressive
one of these should do the trickhttp://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s612/loonieboo1/GM400_1_zps4e4c9b6e.jpg (http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/loonieboo1/media/GM400_1_zps4e4c9b6e.jpg.html)
Paul

DSJR
29-09-2013, 19:49
What's the power into 3 Ohms?

YNWaN
29-09-2013, 20:24
Hi-end manufacturers seem to have reinvented the inefficient heat-sink, does look col though. The main problem with passive Briks isn't that it is passive, it is that it just isn't a very clever/efficient design.

loo
29-09-2013, 20:33
Hi-end manufacturers seem to have reinvented the inefficient heat-sink, does look col though. The main problem with passive Briks isn't that it is passive, it is that it just isn't a very clever/efficient design.

I think its more about keeping the family look
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s612/loonieboo1/gm200cophi_zps322fb52e.jpg (http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/loonieboo1/media/gm200cophi_zps322fb52e.jpg.html)

What's the power into 3 Ohms?

who cares look at it:stalks:
Paul

Marco
29-09-2013, 20:44
My Chord SPM-1200E at Mike's powering his Isobariks this afternoon. We had a really good session of comparing the Chord against his Naim NAP500 (and listening to my newly refurbished Gale GS401s for fun).

My take on it is that the Chord significantly (I use the word with care) outperformed the Naim in the areas of midrange clarity and detail, bass power and extension and dynamic range. I will certainly say that I've never heard Isobariks sound so good and you dismiss them at your peril. The sound we achieved was very open, wide-band and insightful with no tonal tilt at all (the Gales formed a useful baseline comparison).

I'll leave it to Mike to describe his findings.

Nice one, Martin. Glad you guys had a good sesh. I've always said that I rated Briks, as like DSJR, I *know* that in the right system they can sound fab, which is the reason why I advised Mike to be in no hurry to change them! :)

In my view, Mike would struggle to find in another speaker what the Briks do well, musically, when driven by amplification that allows them to perform to their full potential. I've also heard them sound fantastic on the end of 200W ECS/Mana 'Stealth' monoblocks. Soundstaging/imaging freaks, however, should look elsewhere for their thrills, but I don't particularly 'get off' on that - and I suspect neither does Mike. 'Boogie factor'/tunefulness/overall musicality, for me, will always be much more of a priority.

I'm not surprised that the NAP500 was outperformed in that context by the Chord. I know both amps well, especially the latter, having heard it numerous times in your system, and I rate it highly. As such, I also consider the Chord as a more neutral and versatile performer than the NAP500, which really needs big Naim speakers (such as DBLs) to 'chew on', in order to portray its full talents. Ultimately, the Naim is always going to be more of an 'acquired taste', and is therefore unlikely to shine in as many different contexts. However, used in the right ones, it can sound stunningly good (especially when actively driving DBLs).

How did the baby Gales sound, Martin? Have they lived up to your expectations? :cool:

Marco.

MikeMusic
30-09-2013, 09:07

Well, yes there were some surprises.
Some listening to the existing system, various CDs to get a measure of what, when and where.
Finally Mavis obliged with Eyes on the prize then swap to the Chord with the same track.
Oh, right, takes me a while to come up to speed, but
Improvement in the mid range clarity. I often ask if I'm imagining things.
'Course it's not im my interest to favour the visitors over the home team but it's the visitors doing a good job.
Blind testing would have been good as this not that big Chord box delivers a lot for it's size.
Play a few more CD tracks that we had played before and, yes some more definition in the bass too.
For me the big change was when we put on
Ry Cooder - He made a woman out of me. - Vinyl !
That was a moment to pause, gather thoughts before speaking again
Opening out the soundstage that brought a smile, or is that dynamic range as Martin says, or both ?

Swap over to the Gales.
Not on a par with the Isos for sure, with a mashed in mid range, but a great speaker, especially for the price Martin paid

A worthwhile event and my thanks to Martin for coming along to his special needs pupil to do some more teaching
:)

I've got used to the sort of improvements with some bits of kit and connectors. The Pre and power amps do very different things
Called the other half, SWMBO, with her one working ear and as usual she pinned it right away, think it was 2 bars in
Just as well I can take it. Great to have her around for listening tests. Wonder if I could hire her out .......

Another surprising item for me
Some tracks respond well to upgrades, some are revealed to be poorly made. Got that.
There is now another group. Those they really respond fantastically to upgrades, and there must be lots in between
My task of producing more music from a system that doesn't require lottery money is going just fine

MikeMusic
30-09-2013, 09:13
I would have dismissed PASSIVE Isobariks too until I heard a pair driven by a QMI Gain Cell. 400 Watts into a 4 Ohm load and bloody hell, I've NEVER heard passive 'Briks sound so good. Going active was still better since the complex crossover (old and new) still gets in the way quite a bit, but it shouldn't be a problem finding a pro amp for under a grand used that would wipe the pants of any Naim, especially as the bottleneck of the preamp has now been removed. The Chord amp is a pro amp first, but sells a bit in domestic circles too as I remember :)

Sell that bloody Naim while you can still get good money for it!

HiFi Dave - I know you dislike 'briks, but I've heard so many pairs driven by all sorts of things in all sorts of rooms and do know that it is occasionally possible to get them to sound really good. Mike has a very late pair with high-powered mid drivers and the later crossovers in the stands and these were somewhat less screechy than earlier passive examples. Active being better still applies here though!

You too know that Isos can fly !
They continue to reveal the improvements in what seems a very transparent way to me.
I'm sure many people have heard kit mixed with the wrong kit and formed an impression of that piece of kit whereas it was the whole system delivering sub par sounds

MikeMusic
30-09-2013, 09:14

I decided to work my way through the system from the front so epeakers last
The Isos will be compared sooner or more likely later

MikeMusic
30-09-2013, 09:17
Nice one, Martin. Glad you guys had a good sesh. I've always said that I rated Briks, as like DSJR, I *know* that in the right system they can sound fab, which is the reason why I advised Mike to be in no hurry to change them! :)

In my view, Mike would struggle to find in another speaker what the Briks do well, musically, when driven by amplification that allows them to perform to their full potential. I've also heard them sound fantastic on the end of 200W ECS/Mana 'Stealth' monoblocks. Soundstaging/imaging freaks, however, should look elsewhere for their thrills, but I don't particularly 'get off' on that - and I suspect neither does Mike. 'Boogie factor'/tunefulness/overall musicality, for me, will always be much more of a priority.

I'm not surprised that the NAP500 was outperformed in that context by the Chord. I know both amps well, especially the latter, having heard it numerous times in your system, and I rate it highly. As such, I also consider the Chord as a more neutral and versatile performer than the NAP500, which really needs big Naim speakers (such as DBLs) to 'chew on', in order to portray its full talents. Ultimately, the Naim is always going to be more of an 'acquired taste', and is therefore unlikely to shine in as many different contexts. However, used in the right ones, it can sound stunningly good (especially when actively driving DBLs).

How did the baby Gales sound, Martin? Have they lived up to your expectations? :cool:

Marco.
Them Isobariks are in place for quite a bit longer.
Yes, I think the boogie factor could even have them very difficult to be superseded
Noticed I was doing the Tiefenbrun toe tapping quite a lot yesterday...

MartinT
30-09-2013, 09:24
Noticed I was doing the Tiefenbrun toe tapping quite a lot yesterday...

I found myself doing that too :)

Marco
30-09-2013, 09:35
Yup, for me, that is precisely what a system (or speakers) should excel at most, providing in the first place that the music is capable of invoking that response in the listener. Toe-tapping to choral music, for example, would be rather silly and likely get one arrested! :eyebrows:

I don't do 'frigid sounding' speakers or systems, which are more of a 'cerebral listen' than an emotionally involving one. Quite simply, it ain't nuffin', baby, if it don't BOOGIE!! :dance:

Marco.

MikeMusic
30-09-2013, 09:53
I found myself doing that too :)

I knew you really liked The Basement 5 !

MikeMusic
30-09-2013, 09:55
Yup, for me, that is precisely what a system (or speakers) should excel at most
Marco.

I sometimes wonder about me and hifi as I'm only using them for what I can get out of them - more music !

Big downside to Martin's Chord

Silver

MartinT
30-09-2013, 10:29
:rfl:

Mr. C
30-09-2013, 10:31
Good to see Mike experimenting with other brands, now you have had a taste of the Chord, I would suggest you try a few more to see what really fits with your style of sound Mike.

MikeMusic
30-09-2013, 12:31
Good to see Mike experimenting with other brands, now you have had a taste of the Chord, I would suggest you try a few more to see what really fits with your style of sound Mike.
From what I heard the Chords does that to a Tee !

Mr. C
30-09-2013, 14:22
Just bear in mind Mike, when you change your speakers this may change.

MikeMusic
30-09-2013, 15:07
Just bear in mind Mike, when you change your speakers this may change.

Thanks
I may stay with them of course

MartinT
06-10-2013, 19:51
I think Mike has something to tell you all... :)

MikeMusic
07-10-2013, 07:09
Hearing Martin's Chord working so well in my system last weekend was enough to have me looking for 2nd hand Chords.
I found one from a very helpful seller.

Plugged in Sunday after finding the normal 16A Wattgate would not fit.
Running the Chord with Tellurium RCAs, so not balanced and the standard Chord power lead, sitting on an unspiked Mana stand
Test the 500 with a Kimber Signature to give the Chord a bit of a level playing field. The normal Ultimate removed.
Durutti Column on CD and Ry Cooder on vinyl
Swap to the Chord.
It is better, from cold.
Makes the previous 500 sound 'jagged' in comparison. Much smoother. The Chord is more musical and as it warms up gains more oomph in he bass and detail also expends.
2nd comparison with SWMBO. I heard the same differences, surprisingly she heard less. Better than the 500 but only by a nose she said.
Big swap to place the Chord on a spiked Mana stand and it improves again
This one's a stayer.
Nutshell description
Warmth and detail

realysm42
07-10-2013, 07:23
Congratulations dude, must be sounding good now.

What's left on the path?

MikeMusic
07-10-2013, 07:47
Congratulations dude, must be sounding good now.

What's left on the path?
The system sounds superb.
Some tidy ups with Yannis supplying some balanced leads Pass to Chord, step up expected
David to mod an Ultimate to take a 16A IEC, another step up expected

There may be other tweaks but I think the rest is just listening and enjoying

MartinT
07-10-2013, 08:52
Some tidy ups with Yannis supplying some balanced leads Pass to Chord, step up expected

Those two alone (balanced and Ultimate power cable) will give you a lot with the Chord.

MikeMusic
07-10-2013, 09:29
Those two alone (balanced and Ultimate power cable) will give you a lot with the Chord.
I can cope (barely !)

MCRU
07-10-2013, 10:39
The system sounds superb.

There may be other tweaks but I think the rest is just listening and enjoying

I will be up-grading your "ultimate" to MK III status no extra charge

MikeMusic
07-10-2013, 11:05
I will be up-grading your "ultimate" to MK III status no extra charge

Even better !
Thanks very much David

realysm42
07-10-2013, 11:12
Whats mk iii?

Arkless Electronics
08-10-2013, 13:22

There is no correlation between class A and load driving ability. In fact it can sometimes be the opposite depending on the type of class A! A single ended class A has the least ability to drive awkward loads of all amp types... ;)

sq225917
08-10-2013, 13:33
I think Stanley is working on the 'most people mean Amercian muscle' when they refer to 'class A' assumption

MikeMusic
11-10-2013, 08:03
Courtesy of MCRU's fast turnaround on my Ultimate conversion from standard IEC to Kaiser and upgrade to Mk III I plugged in last night

Test first on the standard Chord supplied mains lead
Being critical I reckoned there could be room for improvment

What came next was staggering
More depth, width, height, detail, bass - if there's anything else probably that too

The other half is around tonight so I'll maybe compare again, having to crawl around to unplug and plug in again

This really was a big upgrade - from a mains cable

Perhaps as the system is so much better the effect of the cable is that much more
This is one of the biggest upgrades I have heard

MCRU
11-10-2013, 08:08
Whats mk iii?

MKI is the first one I ever made which Marco and others use

MKII was sent to David Price to review in HiFi Choice, he stated it was one of the best mains leads he has ever heard

MKIII makes 3 improvements over MKII and sounds better.

YNWaN
11-10-2013, 08:22
"Far far better"?

MCRU
11-10-2013, 09:24
"Far far better"?

MKI is the first one I ever made which Marco and others use

MKII was sent to David Price to review in HiFi Choice, he stated it was one of the best mains leads he has ever heard

MKIII makes 3 improvements over MKII and sounds better. :ner:

Lodgesound
11-10-2013, 15:59
I remember posting about a pair of Isobariks I owned a couple of years ago in here with regard to their sale value....I was slammed for how shite they were and told they were worth only a few hundred pounds...

I sold them 2 months ago for £2000 - only 250 pounds less than I had paid for them 20 years previously..............maybe they weren't as shite after all......they always did sound good with a brace of 2Kw per channel class A amplifiers......glad my ears were not deceiving me....

MikeMusic
11-10-2013, 16:51
I remember posting about a pair of Isobariks I owned a couple of years ago in here with regard to their sale value....I was slammed for how shite they were and told they were worth only a few hundred pounds...

I sold them 2 months ago for £2000 - only 250 pounds less than I had paid for them 20 years previously..............maybe they weren't as shite after all......they always did sound good with a brace of 2Kw per channel class A amplifiers......glad my ears were not deceiving me....

That's by far the highest I've ever heard Isobariks go
Whereabouts did you sell them ?

realysm42
11-10-2013, 16:55
Lol Mike, itchy feet?

Join the Usher ranks, you know it makes sense :yesbruv:

MartinT
11-10-2013, 16:59
Don't get him started, Martin. He's already copied my system enough ;)

MartinT
11-10-2013, 16:59
Mike - you need to update your signature :)

MikeMusic
11-10-2013, 20:24
Lol Mike, itchy feet?

Join the Usher ranks, you know it makes sense
I have a slew of kit to sell. Be good to know where it will be really appreciated

MikeMusic
11-10-2013, 20:27
Don't get him started, Martin. He's already copied my system enough ;)

It works !
I think the Isobariks do a better job than anything else I had before compared to your system.
They may stay, certainly for some while yet

MikeMusic
11-10-2013, 20:28
Mike - you need to update your signature :)

Please see Martin T's Sig

MikeMusic
22-10-2013, 06:50
Got the XLR cables back from Yannis yesterday.

To connect the Pass pre amp to the Chord

A test first using the RCA to RCA with Tellurium black RCA leads
Ry Cooder - He made a woman out of me. Amy Madigan doing the honours
Very good. I wondered how that could be made better

Disconnect the RCA, put in the XLRs

First thing, immediate was the sense of smoothness and continuity in the female vocal.
That took my by surprise.
Next was the space and the almost languid presentation of the whole piece.
Then I noticed the bass had really firmed up, more detail in guitar, vocals and percussion

I find it odd the different differences you hear with some upgrades.

A nice step up

Overall since I started the upgrades removed the waffling, inaccurate bass and tightened it up nicely.
Perhaps to do with the noise floor the bass has now been extended by the recent upgrades

More music to listen to

MartinT
22-10-2013, 07:40
Nice one, Mike. Using fully balanced equipment in balanced mode makes sense and to my ears always sounds better. Give Yannis' XLRs a few days to settle and you'll hear even further into the recording.

Question: are you connecting the Whest to the Pass with balanced cables?

MikeMusic
22-10-2013, 08:03
I assume it's the balanced effect I'm hearing. Something certainly is going right

I now have Yannis cables from Technics to SUT, Whest Phono Pre amp, Pass Pre Amp and Chord Power Amp
Balanced from Whest - Pass -Chord
Also balanced from the Isis - and that sounds superb too

More albums will be rediscovered !

MartinT
22-10-2013, 10:37
More albums will be rediscovered !

I've got my power cables back from MCRU so guess what I'll be doing tonight?

MikeMusic
22-10-2013, 10:48
I've got my power cables back from MCRU so guess what I'll be doing tonight?

I wonder

Be interested to hear what you think of the Mk 3 mods

purplepyramid
24-10-2013, 12:03
I had Isobariks for many years. They need a fair bit of grip down the bottom end and they finally sounded 'right' after I upgraded to Naim 135s. Mana stands also helped. Agree that the better your system gets the better they sound. Sadly in the end they had to go because of their size. Replaced them with smaller Sonus Fabers and valves! Better all round but probably due more to the valves
Mark

MikeMusic
24-10-2013, 12:28
I had Isobariks for many years. They need a fair bit of grip down the bottom end and they finally sounded 'right' after I upgraded to Naim 135s. Mana stands also helped. Agree that the better your system gets the better they sound. Sadly in the end they had to go because of their size. Replaced them with smaller Sonus Fabers and valves! Better all round but probably due more to the valves
Mark
They currently sound way better than they ever have before.
Possibly the weakest link in my system now, but I like 'em :)