PDA

View Full Version : Garrard 401 motor problem

Audio Al
20-09-2013, 12:44
Hi

More problems

I have a 401 , had it a while now , and today I decided to fire it up :)

Test run with no platter fitted , Yikes :eek: a horrible grinding sound

Tracked this down to the magnetic brake / speed control plate contacting the motor body

The main spindle running through the motor can be lifted up and down about 5mm

I have taken the motor out to take it apart but cant find any sockets that fit the nuts that hold the lower part of the motor body on

I need to access this too see why the motor spindle is so low ?

I would think it needs to be a box spanner / socket very thin walled

Any ideas ? :scratch:

can upload a photo if needed :)

walpurgis
20-09-2013, 12:52
Sounds like it needs the spindle/shaft shimming upwards. Can't be too hard to do I'd think.

Rare Bird
20-09-2013, 14:02
As with all stuff of this vintage why use it till it's been fully service?

Audio Al
20-09-2013, 14:06
As with all stuff of this vintage why use it till it's been fully service?

Did you not read the first 2 lines ?

Rare Bird
20-09-2013, 14:43
Did you not read the first 2 lines ?

Yes no signs of a total rebuild of motor though.. The amount of times i have heard people moan about motor noise & running slow..Even though you may have eradicated the problem you still need to re build it.

Audio Al
20-09-2013, 15:02
Yes no signs of a total rebuild of motor though.. The amount of times i have heard people moan about motor noise & running slow..Even though you may have eradicated the problem you still need to re build it.

I assume I am not one of the people who moan

All I wanted to know is if it worked and yes it does so now intend to have a look myself , is that OK
or must I send it away ?
If I can service things myself I will its all part of the interest

Reffc
20-09-2013, 16:01
Hi

The motor wont need taking apart so leave it insitu is my advice.

the problem may simply be that the rotor disc has slipped down the spindle. There's a little grub screw that holds it tight to the spindle on the rotor collar. My money's on this having simply slipped. The whole spindle does lift up a little so don't worry about that, it's normal. If you engage the different speeds, the idler wheel should engage on the respective different diameter runners on the spindle, If it doesn't then the adjustment is made by slackening their spindle retaining screws and adjusting as necessary. You should not be using the motor to adjust the spindle and there's no need to remove or strip the motor unless something catastrophic like the base rotor bearing has collapsed which is extremely unlikely. Don't worry, its something simple.

Rare Bird
20-09-2013, 16:10
True Paul & you cannot totally strip the motor yourself as the bearing bushes are rivited in, however everything i can get stripped completely when i buy things like this..

Audio Al
20-09-2013, 17:39
Hi

The motor wont need taking apart so leave it insitu is my advice.

the problem may simply be that the rotor disc has slipped down the spindle. There's a little grub screw that holds it tight to the spindle on the rotor collar. My money's on this having simply slipped. The whole spindle does lift up a little so don't worry about that, it's normal. If you engage the different speeds, the idler wheel should engage on the respective different diameter runners on the spindle, If it doesn't then the adjustment is made by slackening their spindle retaining screws and adjusting as necessary. You should not be using the motor to adjust the spindle and there's no need to remove or strip the motor unless something catastrophic like the base rotor bearing has collapsed which is extremely unlikely. Don't worry, its something simple.

Many thanks Paul

I will have a look at that

I was also going to clean and oil the bearing as in this link

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?71336-Garrard-401-strip-down-service-and-new-plinth-build

Cheers

Reffc
20-09-2013, 17:43
Many thanks Paul

I will have a look at that

I was also going to clean and oil the bearing as in this link

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?71336-Garrard-401-strip-down-service-and-new-plinth-build

Cheers

Hi Al

yes, I wrote that thread some time back :lol: That's my current 401 in the pictures.

Audio Al
20-09-2013, 17:44
Hi Al

yes, I wrote that link some time back :lol:

So it was you

how did you get the 2 small nuts undone , none of the sockets I have will fit ?

Reffc
20-09-2013, 18:28
Thin nosed pliers and a steady hand!

337alant
20-09-2013, 19:09
Al dont drill the copper rivets out you dont need to to oil the motor bearings
Once you get the 2 nuts off the body should come appart
BTW the the disc slipping down is a common problem lift it a bit at a time until it stops rubbing and nip up the 2 grub screws, but be carefull as the height of this disc affects the magnetic brake so speed control position is affected

Alan

Rare Bird
20-09-2013, 19:21
Can i just stress that i never expect anyone to take those rivets out