PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade options for a modest system!

Freeman
19-09-2013, 12:10
Hi All,
Due to a new extension to the house this year I have managed to put together a two channel system for the first time in nearly 30 years! During that time I had been concentrating on Home Cinema due to space and budget constraints.

My new system consists of:

Amp: Temple Audio Bantam Gold
Source: Sonos Connect (using FLAC)
Speakers: Kef iQ50
Interconnects: QED Qunex 1
Speaker Cable: Temple Audio

My initial response to the sound was very good indeed, especially after a healthy burn in period, however as time goes by, I'm finding that I want to squeeze even more performance out of the system (Were have you heard that before!).

So my question to you all is:
Where would be the best place to start improving the sound quality?

My thoughts would be, maybe a regulated power supply for the Bantam (I've read about the Maplin offerings on this forum) and/or a DAC (thinking the Bushmaster MK2 here).

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Mark

Wakefield Turntables
19-09-2013, 12:37
Have you tried all the usual free tweeks like speaker position, cleaning your connections, vibrations isolation etc etc?

Freeman
19-09-2013, 12:58
Hi, The speakers are a little ways off the back wall and out of the corners, I'm limited to what I can do here. Connections are all new so should be clean.

I have to put my hands up about Speaker isolation though. Currently they are sitting on the rubber feet supplied in the box (on laminate flooring). I guess I should consider getting the spikes out and putting them in shoes or a granite board. With no experience of this I'm not sure what the returns might be? My AV speakers used to be on spikes stands where I would fix them to the top plate with Blu Tak, would Blu Tak be an option to couple them to the floor?

Thanks for your advice.

Mark

Ali Tait
19-09-2013, 13:47
A DAC and power supply sounds like a good start. The Gold is a very good little amp and will stand few upgrades to the rest of your kit IMHO.

Yomanze
19-09-2013, 13:55
I'd go with a DAC upgrade first followed by a PSU upgrade for your amp.

Freeman
19-09-2013, 14:03
I'm guessing that I could power the Bantam and a Bushmaster DAC from the same PSU? Would anyone know what spec I would need in terms of current?

synsei
19-09-2013, 14:26
Hi All,
Due to a new extension to the house this year I have managed to put together a two channel system for the first time in nearly 30 years! During that time I had been concentrating on Home Cinema due to space and budget constraints.

My new system consists of:

Amp: Temple Audio Bantam Gold
Source: Sonos Connect (using FLAC)
Speakers: Kef iQ50
Interconnects: QED Qunex 1
Speaker Cable: Temple Audio

My initial response to the sound was very good indeed, especially after a healthy burn in period, however as time goes by, I'm finding that I want to squeeze even more performance out of the system (Were have you heard that before!).

So my question to you all is:
Where would be the best place to start improving the sound quality?

My thoughts would be, maybe a regulated power supply for the Bantam (I've read about the Maplin offerings on this forum) and/or a DAC (thinking the Bushmaster MK2 here).

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Mark

Might I suggest you try out a pair of RFC's Reference IC (http://referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/products/reference-series/reference-neptune/) interconnects from Paul Coupe. I bought a set to run between my pre and power amp and the improvement in transparency, imaging and dynamics was not subtle ;)

Yomanze
19-09-2013, 15:33
Might I suggest you try out a pair of RFC's Reference IC (http://referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/products/reference-series/reference-neptune/) interconnects from Paul Coupe. I bought a set to run between my pre and power amp and the improvement in transparency, imaging and dynamics was not subtle ;)

Not going to be anywhere near as much a difference as a dedicated DAC or linear PSU for a T-Amp though...

Ali Tait
19-09-2013, 19:10
I'm guessing that I could power the Bantam and a Bushmaster DAC from the same PSU? Would anyone know what spec I would need in terms of current?

Different voltages. To get full power from your Gold you need to run it at 16-17 volts.

Freeman
19-09-2013, 19:27
Not going to be anywhere near as much a difference as a dedicated DAC or linear PSU for a T-Amp though...

It's got me thinking though, I'll try and borrow one off a friend to see if I can hear any benefit :)

Freeman
19-09-2013, 19:34
Different voltages. To get full power from your Gold you need to run it at 16-17 volts.

Ah OK. I was rather hoping that I could power the Gold and a DAC from the same PSU. It seems that the Maplin regulated PSU's are well regarded, they are 13.8V, I guess that's better than the current wall wart. What I would like to know is do I need a 3,5 or 7Amp version?

Thanks

Mark

Ali Tait
19-09-2013, 19:39
Yes, should be fine with the 7 amp version, the Gold will not quite be at full power, though I think the supplied wall wart is only 12v anyway?

In which case you'll gain a little power from what you have now.

brian2957
19-09-2013, 19:42
I use a Bantam Gold with a 7A - 13.8V Maplins PSU and it has been a very worthwhile upgrade for the £43 the PSU cost me . The PSU can be adjusted via an internal adjustment . However I adjusted the PSU to the maximum I could ( 16.8V ) and the Bantam didn't seem to like it and cut out . I then adjusted the PSU back to 15V and the little Bantam has been singing ever since. Please note that you will have to make up your own power cable terminated with a 2.1mm DC plug and bare wires or banana plugs at the other end. You can cut the cable from an old PSU fitted with a 2.1mm DC plug however it sounds a bit weedy compared to a more substantial cable , say minimum 2.5 mm . This plug is excellent http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130872175771?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 . These are cheaper and more difficult to work with http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1mm-x-5-5mm-DC-Power-Male-Plug-Jack-Connector-x5-CCTV-Arduino-uno-mega-UK-/290924719882?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item43bc76ef0a . These are OK too and no soldering required http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8x-5-5mm-X-2-1mm-DC-Power-Male-Jack-Connector-Cable-Adapter-Plug-CCTV-DVR-Camera-/281083413979?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4171e085db

Ali Tait
19-09-2013, 19:44
Interesting Brian, I run mine at about 16.8v. They are fine.

brian2957
19-09-2013, 19:57
Might have been that particular PSU mate , anyway I'm not trying it again in case I damage the amp . I'm very happy with the way the amp is sounding at 15V so I think I'll leave well alone :eyebrows:

Freeman
19-09-2013, 20:07
I use a Bantam Gold with a 7A - 13.8V Maplins PSU and it has been a very worthwhile upgrade for the £43 the PSU cost me . The PSU can be adjusted via an internal adjustment . However I adjusted the PSU to the maximum I could ( 16.8V ) and the Bantam didn't seem to like it and cut out . I then adjusted the PSU back to 15V and the little Bantam has been singing ever since. Please note that you will have to make up your own power cable terminated with a 2.1mm DC plug and bare wires or banana plugs at the other end. You can cut the cable from an old PSU fitted with a 2.1mm DC plug however it sounds a bit weedy compared to a more substantial cable , say minimum 2.5 mm . This plug is excellent http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130872175771?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 . These are cheaper and more difficult to work with http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1mm-x-5-5mm-DC-Power-Male-Plug-Jack-Connector-x5-CCTV-Arduino-uno-mega-UK-/290924719882?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item43bc76ef0a . These are OK too and no soldering required http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8x-5-5mm-X-2-1mm-DC-Power-Male-Jack-Connector-Cable-Adapter-Plug-CCTV-DVR-Camera-/281083413979?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4171e085db

Thanks Brian, that seems like a no brainer upgrade!

brian2957
19-09-2013, 20:11
Well worth the effort Mark , this is a big upgrade to an already fantastic little amp. Welcome to this excellent forum BTW , hope you enjoy it here.

Ali Tait
19-09-2013, 20:39
Might have been that particular PSU mate , anyway I'm not trying it again in case I damage the amp . I'm very happy with the way the amp is sounding at 15V so I think I'll leave well alone :eyebrows:

Aye, will be fine at that voltage.