PDA

View Full Version : New from the Borders!!

SP10
15-05-2009, 01:08
The last guy to introduce himself is from North Northumberland and I'm just up the road near Kelso!

I am basically an analogue person, but have just got hold of a Chinese evaluation DAC and a JVC boombox to modify. The DAC I have tried with my Perreaux Amps (rather old but still excellent). I will try to mod it (the DAC) but those SMD yokes are hard to shift!

My main system is a very heavily modded Technics SP10 Mk 11P in - at present - an obsidian plinth, Reworked Zeta or homebrew solid Carbon (not C fibre) unipivot. The business end is an exceptionally early Kondo Audionote Io working through a Tx into either a Precision Fidelity C7A (again modded) into a 211/VT4c set. I also have a Yamamura prototype pre and power current amp set-up, but that is only for single driver speakers.

My speakers are a pair of lightly modded Impulose H2 horns.....these are great.

All cables are Yamamura.

My room is 31' x 15' x 10'6" - plenty of room. And only the speakers are at present in that room. The rest is in an adjoining room. We have been here only a short time, but it is the best room I have had for sound.

Next project is a pair of Saba+Altec based open baffle speakers. (The most haunting memory I have of sound was several years ago when I was a guest of Be Yamamura in Italy. He was using his famous air-float (TOTAL AIR BEARING) all carbon turntable with a fully developed set of his own amps and big ob speakers withy single heavily modded (rice paper cones etc) LOwther PMs. It was pure illusion. Simply beyond description. If I can get some of the way toward that sound I will have succeeded!;)

Steve Toy
15-05-2009, 02:05
Interesting setup - some great vintage gear seeing off top-notch new stuff. Welcome to AOS

break-3
15-05-2009, 05:49
Welcome, and get some pics of your set-up into the gallery - I'd love to see it. :)

Spectral Morn
15-05-2009, 09:13
The last guy to introduce himself is from North Northumberland and I'm just up the road near Kelso!

I am basically an analogue person, but have just got hold of a Chinese evaluation DAC and a JVC boombox to modify. The DAC I have tried with my Perreaux Amps (rather old but still excellent). I will try to mod it (the DAC) but those SMD yokes are hard to shift!

My main system is a very heavily modded Technics SP10 Mk 11P in - at present - an obsidian plinth, Reworked Zeta or homebrew solid Carbon (not C fibre) unipivot. The business end is an exceptionally early Kondo Audionote Io working through a Tx into either a Precision Fidelity C7A (again modded) into a 211/VT4c set. I also have a Yamamura prototype pre and power current amp set-up, but that is only for single driver speakers.

My speakers are a pair of lightly modded Impulose H2 horns.....these are great.

All cables are Yamamura.

My room is 31' x 15' x 10'6" - plenty of room. And only the speakers are at present in that room. The rest is in an adjoining room. We have been here only a short time, but it is the best room I have had for sound.

Next project is a pair of Saba+Altec based open baffle speakers. (The most haunting memory I have of sound was several years ago when I was a guest of Be Yamamura in Italy. He was using his famous air-float (TOTAL AIR BEARING) all carbon turntable with a fully developed set of his own amps and big ob speakers withy single heavily modded (rice paper cones etc) LOwther PMs. It was pure illusion. Simply beyond description. If I can get some of the way toward that sound I will have succeeded!;)

Wow what a nice and very unusual set up. The items I have highlighted I know and respect. You must (please) post some photos as soon as you can. I know everyone will be curious to see your system.

At some point in the future would you be prepared to do a write up of your Perreaux kit as this brand from New Zealand is not that well known (real shame as its very good)...also the Yamamura cables would make an interesting write up as well. In fact your whole set up is worth a write up. If you do please put it in Strokes of Genius as a system or component review. Don't worry if you don't want to ;):) other than being disappointed it wont be an issue...

What kind of music do you like ? Maybe you might like to put your first name in as your signature.

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
15-05-2009, 10:29
Hi there and welcome to AOS!

aquapiranha
15-05-2009, 10:50
Hi. Very nice system. I hope to hear some Saba drivers soon, coupled to twin alphas.

Barry
16-05-2009, 00:29
My speakers are a pair of lightly modded Impulse H2 horns.....these are great.

Hi SP10,

Welcome to the Forum. Can you please outline the modifications you have made and, if possible, how these mods have improved the performance of the speakers?

Thanks

Barry

Marco
19-05-2009, 10:19
Hi SP10, and welcome to AOS! I know Kelso and the Scottish borders quite well - lovely part of the country :)

What's your first name? We like to be friendly and on first name terms with our members.

Love the sound of your system, particularly the SP10. Have you posted any pics of your system yet in our Gallery? If not, let's see 'em! :cool:

Marco.