PDA

View Full Version : ADC 26 Cartridge, Good Working Order!

walpurgis
15-09-2013, 20:56
Selling my ADC 26 Cartridge. Renowned for its sound quality, I'm just listening to it now and it sounds superb.

These are an induced magnet design and work into a normal MM input. Good examples are rare these days and this one is as good as you are likely to find. Comes in original box and presentation case, both of which show signs of their forty years of age, but are presentable. Strangely, I never had a stylus guard, so it comes without and will be packed carefully to avoid damage. Important! Remember, ADCs and the 26 in particular are very delicate and require very low mass tonearms due to the extremely high compliance. It will be unusable in even medium mass arms. This cartridge is currently tracking at only 0.7 grams in my Mission 774 arm and is perfectly secure in the groove at that weight. Quite capable of outperforming many MCs and it sounds enormously transparent, detailed and musical, with extended bass. The history of this cartridge is unknown, so I can't quote usage, but the stylus looks fine.

I'll consider realistic offers. Please factor in postage.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ihw6yo.jpg

Barry
15-09-2013, 23:36
Why are you selling it Geoff?

walpurgis
16-09-2013, 19:34
'Cos I have about ten other cartridges including other ADCs and this one is just not getting used. (I use my ZYX R100 H2 most of the time)

Mr Kipling
16-09-2013, 19:49
What might be a realistic offer?

walpurgis
16-09-2013, 21:27
I'd expect over £50.

mad-moon
16-09-2013, 22:42
Tell the punters how much you want for it.

The Grand Wazoo
16-09-2013, 22:55
Yeah, offers is fer oncers and lightweights.
Tell us your price, man!

datawireless
17-09-2013, 19:38
Sooo ..., do we have the asking price yet? :scratch:

Rgds,
Mike

Audio Al
17-09-2013, 19:46
Did Barry sell one last year ? the old memory cells are not as sharp these days

walpurgis
17-09-2013, 21:25
Sooo ..., do we have the asking price yet? :scratch:

Rgds,
Mike

I believe my saying earlier that I'd expect over £50 gives a fair idea of what to offer, should anybody choose to.

The cheaper and far more common ADC 10E Mk.IV seem to fetch that sort of sum these days so I reckon that's probably fair.

Plastic Spinner
29-09-2013, 13:33
Hi Geoff

Having recently bought a new TT am now struggling to get my head around tonearm/cartridge mass and compliance.

I believe a JMW-9 (from VPI) is meant to be a low mass arm. Would you know if it is low enough for the ADC?
Also, where would someone go to get a replacement sylus these days?

Just wondering for now if that's OK.

Thanks
Pete

walpurgis
12-10-2013, 23:07
Overdue bump!

walpurgis
02-11-2013, 21:52
Selling my ADC 26 Cartridge. Renowned for its sound quality, I'm just listening to it now and it sounds superb.

These are an induced magnet design and work into a normal MM input. Good examples are rare these days and this one is as good as you are likely to find. Comes in original box and presentation case, both of which show signs of their forty years of age, but are presentable. Strangely, I never had a stylus guard, so it comes without and will be packed carefully to avoid damage. Important! Remember, ADCs and the 26 in particular are very delicate and require very low mass tonearms due to the extremely high compliance. It will be unusable in even medium mass arms. This cartridge is currently tracking at only 0.7 grams in my Mission 774 arm and is perfectly secure in the groove at that weight. Quite capable of outperforming many MCs and it sounds enormously transparent, detailed and musical, with extended bass. The history of this cartridge is unknown, so I can't quote usage, but the stylus looks fine.

I'll consider realistic offers. Please factor in postage.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ihw6yo.jpg

Final bump!

It goes on eBay soon.

Rare Bird
02-11-2013, 22:26
The cheaper and far more common ADC 10E Mk.IV seem to fetch that sort of sum these days so I reckon that's probably fair.

Hows the '10E Mk.IV' fair against the '26' i like the block ADC but would not be happy using the '26' in my SME 3009 S2 Imp {9.5grm mass} I think the '10E lower compliance would suit the SME well.

walpurgis
02-11-2013, 22:49
Hows the '10E Mk.IV' fair against the '26' i like the block ADC but would not be happy using the '26' in my SME 3009 S2 Imp {9.5grm mass} I think the '10E lower compliance would suit the SME well.

The 26 sounds like the 10E Mk.IV but possibly delivers slightly more analysis. But, the 26 is far more arm fussy. It simply won't work in anything other than a lightweight arm!

DSJR
03-11-2013, 13:41
True, but when it does work :)

Transcriptors Fluid Arm would be ideal, as it was for the first XLM..

Rare Bird
03-11-2013, 15:36
I just got it to work right in the Mayware. I did make a carbon fibre armtube for the mayware, but decided to go another route {No route} :lol:

Here's another bump for yer Geoff