View Full Version : My fifth system in ideal surroundings

Gordon Steadman
12-09-2013, 15:37
Now that the Leak has been relegated from the main system by the Firebottle OTL, I can't stand the idea of it not being used at all, so its playing away whilst I work on the house with Marantz 63SE, Creek passive pre-amp and the ex-white van man speakers. These are now in their - hopefully - final version and just need finishing off when I get some decent contact adhesive over from the UK. French stuff is useless, gimme Evostick. Just one side to veneer and I can match the colour and make them all pretty.

The WVM speakers are now, 12" that came with them which is actually quite decent, Celestion HF1300 and Kef T27 as supertweeter. Sound pretty ace really, very clean and crisp with a decently solid bass. Listening to Ron Carter is (gasp:eek:) almost as enjoyable as the main system. Most things fall apart after the 57's and valves but when it really needs deep bass, there are times when I wonder if I shouldn't investigate getting the subwoofer working. My REL is hors de combat so I haven't tried it yet in France.

One day, this will be the lounge (which will be 5 metres wide, 8 metres long with ceiling up to 6 metres). Who knows, it might look as posh as some of yours!!

stupinder
13-09-2013, 08:21
What are the speaks in pics 2 and 3, Gordon?

Gordon Steadman
13-09-2013, 08:24
What are the speaks in pics 2 and 3, Gordon?

They are the same ones as the first one!! I've just retained the bass unit, cut the top panel out and put in the two tweeters. Still a small amount of treble to cut but I have lots of resistors to play with!! The veneer really does change the appearance. Black vinyl wrap is not my favourite finish:(

Firebottle
13-09-2013, 08:47
You have been busy, they look great :thumbsup:

Cheers, Alan

Gordon Steadman
13-09-2013, 09:23
You have been busy, they look great :thumbsup:

Cheers, Alan
Thanks Alan,

You're back then? Did you have a good holiday?

Firebottle
13-09-2013, 09:47
Yes Gordon, we're back.
We both enjoyed the curry immensely, we had a good time down in Dordogneshire tasting the vino and scoffing the scoff.

Loads of Brits down there, hence the ...shire.

:cheers: Alan

stupinder
13-09-2013, 10:33
Yes Gordon, we're back.
We both enjoyed the curry immensely, we had a good time down in Dordogneshire tasting the vino and scoffing the scoff.

We're taking over :-) We're heading up the Brittanyshire cell!

Gordon Steadman
13-09-2013, 10:42
Yes Gordon, we're back.

Yup, its always been the shire. In the northern part which is only a few kilometres from here, there are some villages where the split is 50/50 plus or minus a few Dutch and Germans. Our village is 'multicultural' too.

Oldpinkman
13-09-2013, 11:02
We're taking over :-) We're heading up the Brittanyshire cell!

Hey - I'm comin' I'm comin. If I ever get past the planning nonsense in Kent-shire

Gordon Steadman
13-09-2013, 12:21
Yikes - it looks like the lunatics are taking over the asylum:eek:

stupinder
13-09-2013, 16:53
Hey - I'm comin' I'm comin. If I ever get past the planning nonsense in Kent-shire
I'll get the kettle on...or the wet red stuff uncorked in anticipation!

stupinder
13-09-2013, 16:53
Yikes - it looks like the lunatics are taking over the asylum:eek:
:0)