PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Mk. II (TC-7533)

Pages : [1] 2 3

MartinT
11-09-2013, 20:14
I've got my BM Mk. II up and running tonight after having a quick listen to the original BM as a reminder of its sound. I took the time to readjust my Paul Hynes power supply down from 16V to 15V on Stan's advice. Otherwise, it looks the part and I prefer its aspect ratio (wider than it is deep) compared with the old model. It also looks excellent in silver finish and is well built.

Very first impressions from stone cold are an immediate step up in dynamics, the only area of weakness I felt in the original BM. Leading edges are more noticeable and it has an overall greater sense of clout on dynamic material. Trying out all the inputs and that quality of sound remains, even with broadcast material from Sky Arts. All the other BM merits are still in place: great detail in a wide and deep soundstage and deep bass extension. if it sounds this good now, it should improve further over the course of the next week.

You should know that I have Stan's special I2S clocking firmware in my BM (which is now used in the Mk. II), so I didn't really expect much of an improvement to be honest. It's clear that Stan has worked his magic elsewhere (we know about his work in the power supply area) and may well have further improved the firmware. One other noticeable improvement is how quickly it syncs to a new input. There was always a slight hesitation with the old model; this one is virtually instant.

So far so very good. This DAC range continues to be excellent value for money and sounds a lot more expensive than it is.

Yomanze
12-09-2013, 08:07
Nice review Martin.

StanleyB
12-09-2013, 10:23
I just wish to remind the owners of the Bushmaster MKII that the sBooster is not required. The MKII already has the DC Linearizer LNF built in, which is significantly superior in performance to the sBooster.
So don't waste your money.

You can instead invest in say a 12Volt battery pack like the one listed at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unique-12V-DC-Rechargeable-Li-po-Battery-for-CCTV-Cam-6800mAh-/300954998440?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_S M&hash=item461250d6a8

But other 12Volts battery packs are also available. You can fit a 2.1mm DC plug flylead to a battery. I am trying to source a quantity of a high quality wired 2.1mm DC plug so that I can offer one that I know will be the correct one to use with a battery pack.

worrasf
12-09-2013, 12:16
I just wish to remind the owners of the Bushmaster MKII that the sBooster is not required. The MKII already has the DC Linearizer LNF built in, which is significantly superior in performance to the sBooster.
So don't waste your money.

Is it a fair assumption (or not) that for those of us who already have an sBooster (I've actually got a MG all-in-one linear PSU+sBooster) that with the new on-board DC Linearizer noise should be even lower? Or, is it the case that the on-board Linearizer filters so much there is nothing left for an sBooster to filter and there would be no additional benefit however small?

Steve

NRG
12-09-2013, 12:32
Mine has arrived, thank you Stan. For those interested here are some side by side photos...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/_NRG_/other/IMG_1922.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/_NRG_/other/IMG_1924.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/_NRG_/other/IMG_1925.jpg

Fit and finish seem excellent, the new icons and layout is very easy on the eye and I'm liking the silver finish as well.

StanleyB
12-09-2013, 13:17
Is it a fair assumption (or not) that for those of us who already have an sBooster (I've actually got a MG all-in-one linear PSU+sBooster) that with the new on-board DC Linearizer noise should be even lower? Or, is it the case that the on-board Linearizer filters so much there is nothing left for an sBooster to filter and there would be no additional benefit however small?
I have published test results in another thread that showed the measurements I took from the sbooster, Mark Grant, and Lurcher PSU. I also showed measurements with and without the DC Linearizer.
The sBooster is external. The DC Linearizer is internal. The sbooster filters down to about 20mV. the DC Linearizer filters down to 1mV.
I am not stopping anyone from buying an sbooster for use with the Bushmaster MKII. But you won't get a single bit of improvement with it on a MKII. The only way you are going to get an improvement is to use a 12V battery or a Mark Grant or lurcher linear PSU.

worrasf
12-09-2013, 13:23
Thanks for the clarification Stan - that's clear and really helpful. I have one of the MG "best of 2 worlds" solutions - a linear PSU and integral sBooster so I guess I will stick with it for the linear PSU benefit.
Steve

MartinT
12-09-2013, 13:32
Seeing those rear panels reminds me: I must connect the ground terminal up again as I remember there was a small improvement the last time I did that.

potatoha
12-09-2013, 14:24
Seeing those rear panels reminds me: I must connect the ground terminal up again as I remember there was a small improvement the last time I did that. Where do you connect the ground terminal to Martin? Do you have a separate earth outlet beside your mains or do you connect to your preamp's chassis?

MartinT
12-09-2013, 15:11
I connect to the preamp's earth post, which ultimately comes from the mains.

Ammonite Audio
12-09-2013, 17:04
I've got my BM Mk. II up and running tonight after having a quick listen to the original BM as a reminder of its sound. I took the time to readjust my Paul Hynes power supply down from 16V to 15V on Stan's advice.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that the Bushmaster requires a 12v supply. What is the optimum supply voltage?

StanleyB
12-09-2013, 17:23
The Bushmaster will operate with power supplies from 10.5V to 15V. I deliberately designed it to operate across that particular range of supply voltages so that customers could try out various methods of powering the BM. A typical 12V lead acid battery can manage to deliver 14.4V, and I know of a customer in the Australian outback who uses one of his old truck battery to run his BM. Another customer of mine uses a 12V solar panel.

I myself got a modded BM for headphone use that has to be run on at least 14V. That's because it uses a 12V master regulator. The standard BM uses a 9V master regulator. But the modded 12V version is specifically for my 300 Ohms headphones like my HD800. It worked fine as well on a 600 Ohms headphone that I borrowed. The standard BM is not that loud on 600 Ohms.

worrasf
12-09-2013, 21:22
My BM II arrived earlier today (thanks for uber rapid delivery Stan). Despite my saying I would wait until the weekend to install I just couldn't help myself - not least as I was "home alone" for the evening and could sneak it into the system unobserved ;)

Let it warm up for a few hours before listening. Only listened via headphones so far (Grado GS1000's in the main direct from the DAC but a short time with Beyer DT990/600 through the SOHA II. The line up comprised Thea Gilmore, Antonio Forcione, Jan Garbarek & Joe Satriani using iPod/Wadia 170 (Audiocom signature) and CDXT se2/PSxR.

My review:

THis is simply bloody stunning - go get one. :stalks:

The end

Well OK - a bit more for the fussy types out there. I'm going to be opinionated here with none of the "IMHO" softly softly phrases :ner:

I'm not even go to start to compare this with the BM I - it is so totally different that any comparison is meaningless.

The most striking thing is that it has no sonic signature - it's like there's an empty box that has a digital wire going in and an analogue wire coming out. Most times if I'm listening to new kit I'm concentrating on the high, the lows, the cymbals the bass yada yada but this evening I found I was just drawn into listening to the music - difficult to describe but here goes.

There is a lightness and delicacy of touch with precision. Thea's voice is often spoken as much as sung with emphasis on the ends of words that tail off - there is so much more emotion and expression here - you can even here where she "spits" a bit through moist lips - I shit you not :eek: Carry that sort of detail throughout the vocal range and it's just mesmerising.

A similar effect is with plucked strings - they start and stop with more precision - there's no bleed from one note to another so you get to hear much more fine/background detail. Particularly with bass lines be they electronic or strings.

The frequency response seems flat right across the range so there is no emphasis/de-emphasis at a particular frequency so all voices/instruments seem in the "right place". It makes for a more "easy" presentation - it's not "shouty" or fatiguing to listen track after track.

Don't think this means presentation is laid back or boring - feed it with some welly from Satriani and it can rock along fine and dandy with the old toe a tapping.

Of all the digital sources I've had in my system this sounds the most "vinyl" - I just love it. It gets out of the way and just lets the music through (pretentious - moi?) :rolleyes:

The asking price is ludicrously little for a DAC of this calibre.

Will definitely need to wait until the weekend before I can listen through the amp/speakers but I think I have a treat in store.

:cool:

Steve

MartinT
13-09-2013, 05:09
The most striking thing is that it has no sonic signature - it's like there's an empty box that takes has a digital wire going in and an analogue wire coming out.

I noticed the same thing. There is no tonal tilt or odd voicing, it's just an open window.

StanleyB
13-09-2013, 07:44
Inter-track capacitance and reactance, audio signatures of electronic components in the signal path, and power line noises are are the enemies of good sound. The BM1 was an attempt to sideline those problems, but the power line noises were a limiting factor. The MKII takes care of that last remaining obstacle.

I don't do cuddly bass, heart warming vocals, or silky smooth treble. It's not my intention to mess about with the work and efforts from the original artist(s) and production team. The job of the Bushmaster is to concentrate on converting the digital signal into an analogue one, and leave what you hear to the content of the musical piece that you listen to.

So prospective DAC owners now have a clear and unambiguous selection choice: The Bushmaster MKII with its straight wire presentation, or the alternatives with artificially enhanced flavouring.
The BM2 won't gel with everyone, but they say that the sign of a good sound signature is the lack of one. The MKII is a follower of that ideal. And I hope you guys and girls like it.

Ali Tait
13-09-2013, 08:02
What's the price Stan?

worrasf
13-09-2013, 08:47
Inter-track capacitance and reactance, audio signatures of electronic components in the signal path, and power line noises are are the enemies of good sound. The BM1 was an attempt to sideline those problems, but the power line noises were a limiting factor. The MKII takes care of that last remaining obstacle.

I don't do cuddly bass, heart warming vocals, or silky smooth treble. It's not my intention to mess about with the work and efforts from the original artist(s) and production team. The job of the Bushmaster is to concentrate on converting the digital signal into an analogue one, and leave what you hear to the content of the musical piece that you listen to.

So prospective DAC owners now have a clear and unambiguous selection choice: The Bushmaster MKII with its straight wire presentation, or the alternatives with artificially enhanced flavouring.
The BM2 won't gel with everyone, but they say that the sign of a good sound signature is the lack of one. The MKII is a follower of that ideal. And I hope you guys and girls like it.

Well I'm pretty pleased that my old ears told me the truth and that what I was hearing and reported was exactly what Stan had set out to achieve. And for all you sceptics out there I had no prior discussion with anyone let alone Stan prior to my listening session.

Steve

StanleyB
13-09-2013, 09:16
What's the price Stan?
It depends on the options selected. But Black BM2 + PSU + UK plug + express delivery = £208.20.

NRG
13-09-2013, 09:32

The most striking thing is that it has no sonic signature

I would go along with that, that's the impression I got from a short listen yesterday. I did feel however, that it's going to need a little burn in time unlike the BM MK1 which I noted as sounding the same out-of-the-box vs running for a week...

MartinT
13-09-2013, 10:47
I noticed a little burn-in with the BM1 but not as much as with some components. The BM2 is going the same way with small improvements in soundstage and spaciousness.

Xapito
13-09-2013, 11:10
Does anyone know of a portable DAP with coaxial or optical digital out for the purposing of connecting to the Bushmaster? Someone mentioned me about the Fiio X3, any experience with this? Want to make the move to DAC but kind stuck at the moment, source wise.

NRG
13-09-2013, 16:10
I noticed a little burn-in with the BM1 but not as much as with some components. The BM2 is going the same way with small improvements in soundstage and spaciousness.

I hope it improves, its now had over 24 hours continuous play but it's still a little 'strident' in its presentation, slightly hard in the treble and upper midrange. The BM 1 is altogether smoother, dare I say it more 'analogue' like but hasn't quite got the same amount of detailing, clarity or insight as the MK 2...

StanleyB
13-09-2013, 16:19
I hope it improves, its now had over 24 hours continuous play but it's still a little 'strident' in its presentation, slightly hard in the treble and upper midrange.
Have you tried switching off the DAC for an hour and then put it back on a burn in for a few hours? Sometimes continuous burn in is not as effective as intermediate burn in.
Also keep in mind that the BM has no signal smoothing components like caps etc in the signal path. So you'll get far rapid transitions between signal points.

worrasf
13-09-2013, 16:19
I hope it improves, its now had over 24 hours continuous play but it's still a little 'strident' in its presentation, slightly hard in the treble and upper midrange. The BM 1 is altogether smoother, dare I say it more 'analogue' like but hasn't quite got the same amount of detailing, clarity or insight as the MK 2...

Neil,
I must say this was not at all my impression of the BM II straight from the box as per my post 13 above. Could source/ancillaries be at work here?

Now listening to the BM 2 through the 25r/4s and getting the same vibes as previously commented on with the 'phones. No trace of harshness here - currently listening to the Alan Stivell 40th Anniversary at Olympia - all those harps and strings play havoc with “shouty” setups and it just sounds sublime - not sure what I'd expect more burn in time to add but the weekend has just begun :beer:

Steve

MartinT
13-09-2013, 17:20
Nope, 'strident' is not a word I could use to describe the BM2's presentation.

Søren
13-09-2013, 19:02

Just a thought. If you use coax(?) it could perhaps be some noise coupling, which become audible, because of BM2`s lower noise floor and more revealing nature?

bigmarty
13-09-2013, 19:05
Mine has arrived, thank you Stan. For those interested here are some side by side photos...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/_NRG_/other/IMG_1922.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/_NRG_/other/IMG_1924.jpg

[IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/_NRG_/other/IMG_1925.jpg[/IMG

Fit and finish seem excellent, the new icons and layout is very easy on the eye and I'm liking the silver finish as well.

Like the new silver front

Marty :D

worrasf
13-09-2013, 19:15
I use coax 0.5m from CD to DAC and 5m from Wadia to DAC- not a problem.

At the risk of becoming a BM 2 bore thought I'd just share this tidbit - just put Marianne Faithfull "Broken English" on - an album I have known intimately for many years and I'm hearing whole layers of backing I have never heard before!

Could this DAC be too revealing for "lesser systems"? Now there's a contentious comment :eek:

Steve

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Xaval
13-09-2013, 19:55
I was expecting this thread :)

Anyone using Toslink? I'd love to hear some feedback on this vis a vis BM I.
As headphone amp are there any upgrades in the BM II front, as my BM I has the venom upgrade?

Congrats to Stan on another DAC release! All the best as you deserve it.

worrasf
13-09-2013, 20:07

As headphone amp are there any upgrades in the BM II front, as my BM I has the venom upgrade?

My BM 1 had Venom upgrade - the BM 2 is better.

I use Toslink from DVD player but not had a chance to listen yet

Steve

MartinT
13-09-2013, 20:15
Could this DAC be too revealing for "lesser systems"? Now there's a contentious comment :eek:

I don't think you can have a component that's too revealing, but it's an interesting question. No component is an absolute bottleneck and neither can a component be too good, I think. Ultimately, you will hear an average of component sound quality. I doubt that putting a BM2 in the context of any system quality could be a bad thing.

MartinT
13-09-2013, 20:17

I am, and it's here where I think Stan's firmware development in the area of better clocking has paid dividends. I use optical for Sky HD and Blu-ray and, to my ears, they both sound as near as dammit the same quality as co-ax. That's a good thing.

Ali Tait
13-09-2013, 22:32
It depends on the options selected. But Black BM2 + PSU + UK plug + express delivery = £208.20.

Cheers Stan, still a bargain then, price hasn't changed much in the last several years.

MartinT
13-09-2013, 22:54
I just tried internet radio through the Logitech Touch and co-ax input. Blimey, I'm sure I've never heard Radio Paradise sound so good.

Fi-Wi
14-09-2013, 06:16
Good to hear because RP (Naim) through SBT/coax is my prime source of music.

StanleyB
14-09-2013, 07:05

The Bushmaster MKII is using a pair of TOSLINK sockets that have a 25MHz bandwidth. They cost quite a bit more compared to the sockets on the BM1. They also have to be used on a dedicated low noise power rail fed from its own regulator. But they are worth the extra cost and design effort in terms of data rate and jitter performance.

The headphone circuit has the Venom2 upgrade as standard, which is a more involved upgrade of the Venom1. I was thinking of releasing it as a mod., but quite a few people who have tried to mod their BM with some of the released mods have had technical problems. So I decided that it is best to just include the most important mods directly into the BM2. Saves a lot of time, and adds just the cost of the components to the overall price.

There is a Venom3 mod that I am experimenting with, but that needs a 15V power supply as well. It is for my HD800 and HD650, which are 300 Ohms headphones and need a bit more juice for best performance. But that's for another thread.

John
14-09-2013, 12:38
Been listening to Bushmaster MK 2 for just over a hour now.
The biggest difference is just how much more bass I have it has a lot more punch and depth compared to my DAC. The sound is well balanced. Right now I am listening to the Black Messiah by the late Georg Duke it just has so much attack. The DAC knows how to dig deep that's for sure. The treble seems to have more detail too , when listening to Swing In The Round from the Album Still Strings the violin and guitars have more attack. Everything seems to stop and start a wee bit quicker giving this sense of accuracy. It rocks well too for example Tool 10000 Days Wings Part 2 just explodes

MartinT
14-09-2013, 12:48
Nice one, John. Your system is not lacking in attack so it must be quite explosive with the BM2!

John
14-09-2013, 13:52
Remember the bass in my system has a lot of texture but perhaps not the final word in bass extension, that seems to have changed Remember me saying my bass kicks but does not thump, well it now seems thump lol
Listening to Tool is a scary experience Its now more like I was hearing from Tony's TAD reference loudspeakers in attack, perhaps not quite their but very close now. Also at the time I was using JK32 dac with Jplay with 2 computers but ultimately became a bit tiring for me in vocals so my present DAC and transport did not quite have the same attack but was not tiring in the long term. Now seem to got the attack but does not seem to tire me

worrasf
14-09-2013, 18:23
The Bushmaster MKII is using a pair of TOSLINK sockets that have a 25MHz bandwidth. They cost quite a bit more compared to the sockets on the BM1. They also have to be used on a dedicated low noise power rail fed from its own regulator. But they are worth the extra cost and design effort in terms of data rate and jitter performance.

Top Gun DVD through BM 2 Toslink tonight (and a glass of Abbot ale) :beer: doesn't get much better than this :)

Steve

John
14-09-2013, 18:46
Playing Schoolyard Ghosts Seems to have even more depth and detail

Xaval
14-09-2013, 22:19
There is a Venom3 mod that I am experimenting with, but that needs a 15V power supply as well. It is for my HD800 and HD650, which are 300 Ohms headphones and need a bit more juice for best performance. But that's for another thread.
Bring it!

icehockeyboy
14-09-2013, 23:36

The old ad in the 70's....wasn't it for Quad, that said..." For the closest approach to the original sound "

Sounds like that is what Stan has achieved.

Anyway, I combined a vist to 2 of my offsprings today to swing by chez Stan, and collect my BM 2, unfortunately only just got home, so despite unboxing it, I have to wait until later to plumb it in!

Feels meatier in as much as the unit feels a bit heavier, ( edit point here as I made a comment based on memory, which was not factual!)
But that's all I can say so far....cant wait until the wife goes out tomorrow to get it sorted! It's actually quite amazing how many of us here are sneaky like that isn't it?!!!!!!,

icehockeyboy
15-09-2013, 08:35
Well, up at dawns crack, no smutty innuendos here!
Pulled out the mk1, stuck in the mk 2........... And..........nothing!
I hadn't selected the correct input! :doh:

First thoughts even only after playing a few tracks was more detail than I was aware of on certain well known ( to me) songs, and an improvement in bass.

Probably far too early in its little life to say too much at this stage, but what I will say is that once again, Stan has upped the ante yet again with the latest of his dacs! :clapclapclap:

I genuinely believed the mk1 to be a bit of a giant killer, well, a good deal more than a bit of one, but with the mk2, well, as an earlier poster said, just get one, assuming he hasn't sold out!!!

icehockeyboy
15-09-2013, 09:27
Bloody hell.......just playing Larry Carlton Live In Paris....sounds like he's here in the room!

The bass is amazing, and you can feel the " thwack" of the snare drum!

Stratmangler
15-09-2013, 09:34
Bloody hell.......just playing Larry Carlton Live In Paris....sounds like he's here in the room!

The bass is amazing, and you can feel the " thwack" of the snare drum!

You playing a rip of the CD or is it streamed?
Streaming it myself ATM, and I'd agree with your comments.
Don't have a Bushmaster though ;)

CSM
15-09-2013, 10:06
This amp/dac must be scarily good.

Performance on the old bushmaster is epic and to take that up a level would be stunning.

icehockeyboy
15-09-2013, 10:50
You playing a rip of the CD or is it streamed?
Streaming it myself ATM, and I'd agree with your comments.
Don't have a Bushmaster though ;)

No longer have a cd in the equation, so streaming through the S B T.

Stratmangler
15-09-2013, 10:52
No longer have a cd in the equation, so streaming through the S B T.

OK, did you rip it from a CD or is it from Deezer?

icehockeyboy
15-09-2013, 11:01
OK, did you rip it from a CD or is it from Deezer?

Deezer.

Yomanze
15-09-2013, 11:44
I use coax 0.5m from CD to DAC and 5m from Wadia to DAC- not a problem.

0.5m is short enough to allow for a lot of signal reflections, have you tried your 5m cable with the CD player? I know of a digital designer who deliberately sells SPDIF cables at 5m lengths.

I don't think you can ever have too good a DAC for a system with the amp / speaker interface and room interactions playing way more of a role of 'too good' or 'too much'. At least in the sense that they really show the limitations of a lesser source or room mismatch.

wee tee cee
15-09-2013, 12:11
Sorry......What is a deezer?

Ali Tait
15-09-2013, 12:15
http://www.deezer.com/en/

worrasf
15-09-2013, 13:24
0.5m is short enough to allow for a lot of signal reflections, have you tried your 5m cable with the CD player?

No. I've always subscribed to the idea that the shorter the cable length connecting 2 components the better and my CD player is 0.5m away from the DAC ;) Do I need to revisit this notion? :scratch:

Steve

Stratmangler
15-09-2013, 13:27
No. I've always subscribed to the idea that the shorter the cable length connecting 2 components the better and my CD player is 0.5m away from the DAC ;) Do I need to revisit this notion? :scratch:

Steve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_reflection

Yomanze
15-09-2013, 13:36

Steve

Only for digital coax cables. Try the 5m or I have a well specced one spare that you could try. If digital connections were actually 75 Ohms then we wouldn't have to worry about this silly SPDIF stuff! In reality we have ringing and signal reflections due to evil RCA, and dealing with MHz signals instead of 20kHz.

worrasf
15-09-2013, 14:01
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_reflection

Thanks for that although I note the submission is not referenced so if it were in " my field of expertise" it would be just opinion. Also does not explain to thickos like me why longer lengths are less affected.
Steve

worrasf
15-09-2013, 14:05
I have a well specced one spare that you could try.
Thank you - that's most kind. I've got a second 5m cable although its just a basic Profigold one. To be honest I'm so happy with the way the system is sounding right now I think I'm just going to stop fiddling and listen to the tunes.

Steve

NRG
15-09-2013, 15:15
Thanks for that although I note the submission is not referenced so if it were in " my field of expertise" it would be just opinion. Also does not explain to thickos like me why longer lengths are less affected.
Steve

Because the end nodes are improperly terminated by the use of RCA plugs and sockets the signal return loss is poor and the siganal reflections coinside with the primary signal arriving at the DAC causing an uncertainty at what point the receiver chip 'samples' the signal. As a DAC using spdif has to recover the clock from this signal it causes timing problems. This article gives quite a good description: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

The idea behind a longer cable (multiples of 1.5m) is to cause the reflected signals not to coinside at the same sampling point.

StanleyB
15-09-2013, 15:50
Because the end nodes are improperly terminated by the use of RCA plugs and sockets the signal return loss is poor and the siganal reflections coinside with the primary signal arriving at the DAC causing an uncertainty at what point the receiver chip 'samples' the signal.
This can be avoided by buffering the incoming signal from the receiver chip:eyebrows:.

wee tee cee
15-09-2013, 17:02
Thanks Ali......

MartinT
15-09-2013, 20:39
0.5m is short enough to allow for a lot of signal reflections, have you tried your 5m cable with the CD player? I know of a digital designer who deliberately sells SPDIF cables at 5m lengths.

I use 1.5m co-ax cable for that very reason (minimising reflections).

StanleyB
16-09-2013, 10:15
If anyone has the time can you see if you have a 16 and 24 bit version of the same audio file? I would be interested to know if you can notice any difference in depth and imaging.

TimJ
16-09-2013, 11:43
Well stan - im no audiophile guru, but what an excellent difference from my mac to my amp. The sound is so more open, even 'fresh' sounding and intriguing to listen to. The bass is far more pronounced with out being boomy. The tunes have been given a new lease of life.
I have put the amp in pure direct mode so it does not add any filters etc and im using optical from the mac to the bm2 then a high quality set of qed leads to the amp. Just marvellous! I have never heard my monitor audios sound so good. Thank you!

Just a quick question though, i may seem a little ' thick' asking this but could someone explain my sky dilemma!?
I have sky hd- all channels in hd ( dolby) just make a weird clicking sound but if i switch to normal stereo its fine on the sky box. I am kinda answering my own question as i know the BM does not do dolby only left & right, but is there a way to use my sky through the BM but without loosing the dolby digital as my amp is a receiver for my surround etc. or is it a case of changing the settings all the time?

Thanks. Its a great bit of kit stan :cool:

MartinT
16-09-2013, 13:05
You have to set the Sky HD box to 'normal' as the BM, as you have found, cannot decode the Dolby Surround stream. There is no way around this that I can see.

TimJ
16-09-2013, 13:29
Thought that would be the case! No worries thanks. Will try it and see how i get on.

worrasf
16-09-2013, 19:37

I don't think you can ever have too good a DAC for a system with the amp / speaker interface and room interactions playing way more of a role of 'too good' or 'too much'. At least in the sense that they really show the limitations of a lesser source or room mismatch.

Well I swapped in a few other interconnects admittedly all 1m length including a QED qunex sr 75, a coax originally bought from Stan and an Ecosse conductor (0.75m) and they all sounded inferior to my 0.5m cable with WBT plugs custom made for me by an AoS member. The "product of the year 2007" QED in particular sounded veiled and dull in comparison - I'll stick with my 0.5m length reflections or no reflections as I reckon cable construction is more important than length from my simple mark 1 ear test. I'm embarrassed to admit I can't remember the name of the AoS member who made it (Alien?) but if you are reading this post I'm game to try a 1.5m run of the same construction.
Steve

Ali Tait
16-09-2013, 19:44
You have to set the Sky HD box to 'normal' as the BM, as you have found, cannot decode the Dolby Surround stream. There is no way around this that I can see.

Aye, you need to set the digital output to normal in the sound sub menu in Settings.

Ali Tait
16-09-2013, 19:46
Well I swapped in a few other interconnects admittedly all 1m length including a QED qunex sr 75, a coax originally bought from Stan and an Ecosse conductor (0.75m) and they all sounded inferior to my 0.5m cable with WBT plugs custom made for me by an AoS member. The "product of the year 2007" QED in particular sounded veiled and dull in comparison - I'll stick with my 0.5m length reflections or no reflections as I reckon cable construction is more important than length from my simple mark 1 ear test. I'm embarrassed to admit I can't remember the name of the AoS member who made it (Alien?) but if you are reading this post I'm game to try a 1.5m run of the same construction.
Steve

It was Mike Homar (Alien Entity)

worrasf
16-09-2013, 19:48
It was Mike Homar (Alien Entity)

Thanks Ali - indeed it was - can't praise his cables highly enough.

Edit - just pm'd Mike about a 1.5m run of his uber interconnect.

Steve

NRG
16-09-2013, 21:34
I use a 1.5m run of Mike's cable and to me it sounds fine, it is triple screened AFAIK remember, two very tight knit copper braid layers with a 100% covered inner foil layer. Bloomin tough to terminate but worth it!

NRG
17-09-2013, 18:18

I've had my BM running on/off since last Friday and I've delibratley not listend to it. I managed to grab some time with it today and I'm glad to say the slight hardness I noted last week seems to have gone either that or my hearing/mood has changed. It's sounding very good, the improved attack and dynamics are noticeable as is the greater detail. Bass is tight, deep and detailed would be interesting to play it via Ali's OBs at some point!

John
17-09-2013, 18:30
Sounds really good through my OB's

Mike
17-09-2013, 18:31
Hi Chaps,

Some interesting questions about digital cable lengths here, a subject I've been doing quite a bit of work on (and battering my brain with)!

Rather than hijacking this one, it may be better as a subject for a separate thread, anyone care to get the ball rolling? :eyebrows:

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
17-09-2013, 20:12
Oh OK, I'll do it then! :rolleyes:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?27980-Digital-Cable-Lengths-and-Other-Stuff&p=482340#post482340

;)

StanleyB
18-09-2013, 17:57
A couple of people asked me if I knew of a good quality DC cable that they could use to connect between a different power supply, i.e. a battery, and the Bushmaster. I found one that looks good in construction. The negative terminal is used as a screen, and it has an additional RF choke in line.
I only got 8 pieces spare. I don't know how much postage will be at this stage since I have not posted one out yet. But If you budget for anything up to £5 for everything you can't go far wrong. Let me know if anyone is interested in one of them for your own project.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/DCL.jpg

wee tee cee
18-09-2013, 18:12
Had a look at Stans site......How do I go about buying one?
Had a conversation with a member who ran the same DAC as me,trust his judgement !......Would be rude not to get one! ( still have the original battery pack for the MK1)
Is they're still a waiting list?

StanleyB
18-09-2013, 18:48
Had a look at Stans site......How do I go about buying one?
Had a conversation with a member who ran the same DAC as me,trust his judgement !......Would be rude not to get one! ( still have the original battery pack for the MK1)
Is they're still a waiting list?
Hi Tony, just PM me. Because of stock situation I am currently unable to offer the MKII on my website. At the moment AoS and TForum members or visitors are the main people who can get hold of a MKII. The rest will have to wait till next Month.

wee tee cee
18-09-2013, 18:56
PM sent......

quadsugdenman
18-09-2013, 22:02

Must agree with all of the above. This DAC is a seriously impressive piece of kit for the money. There is no real comparison with its predecessor. Increased bass definition strikes you immediately then the dynamics and overall clarity much improved over the MKI. However what continues to impress me is the perspective both front to back and side to side when compared to the MKI.
Stan has done it again and continues to deliver impressive improvements for relatively small sums of money!!:D Congratulations Stan.
Downside: I will need to buy another to replace the MKI in my second system at some point now I know how much difference replacing it will make!:doh:

franz159
19-09-2013, 00:34
....There is no real comparison with its predecessor. .....

I'm listening to SMV using Squeezebox touch + Bushmaster MKI and the bass is absolutely defined, controlled and authoritative...
In short, the sound of the MKI is really really good in my system. Probably the burn in took quite some time to complete!
So, for me, it is really hard to believe that the MKII can really be that much better.
However... hearing is believing, so much so that tonight I ordered the MKII from Mr Beresford.
I should receive it on Friday!

sabrehagen
19-09-2013, 13:33
Hey guys,

I've been considering the idea of upgrading from the Bushmaster Mk I to the MkII, but I thought I'd approach you guys who have it already to ask you a couple of questions to get a better feel for how the second generation differs from the first. I have a pair of 250Ohm Beyerdynamic DT880s, which are comfortably driven by the Bushmaster, but it doesn't have the headroom to absolutely crank them. I listen to a lot of live recordings of bands, are are much quieter because they're mics in a bar, not direct instrument feeds, and they're not mastered hot by a recording company. Hence I need a bit of extra headroom on your standard produced track just to get the volume of the live recordings to the same level. Double whammy: 250Ohm and low level. In your experience thus far, does the new headphone amp have significantly more power than the Mk I predecessor? I like to turn the live recordings up past a "comfortable" level, much more like the levels when you're actually at the concert. Would you think this is attainable?

worrasf
19-09-2013, 13:58
Hey guys,

I've been considering the idea of upgrading from the Bushmaster Mk I to the MkII, but I thought I'd approach you guys who have it already to ask you a couple of questions to get a better feel for how the second generation differs from the first. I have a pair of 250Ohm Beyerdynamic DT880s, which are comfortably driven by the Bushmaster, but it doesn't have the headroom to absolutely crank them. I listen to a lot of live recordings of bands, are are much quieter because they're mics in a bar, not direct instrument feeds, and they're not mastered hot by a recording company. Hence I need a bit of extra headroom on your standard produced track just to get the volume of the live recordings to the same level. Double whammy: 250Ohm and low level. In your experience thus far, does the new headphone amp have significantly more power than the Mk I predecessor? I like to turn the live recordings up past a "comfortable" level, much more like the levels when you're actually at the concert. Would you think this is attainable?

I can partially answer this I hope. I have a pair of Beyer DT990/600 ohm which are a bit more demanding to drive than your 250 ohm's. Neither the BM 1 or BM 2 has sufficient power to drive these 'phones properly. When listening to these I always use my SOHA II amp. However, the BM drives my Grado GS1000's perfectly. The BM 2 has more detail and delicacy (see my previous posts) than the BM and I did have a 10v regulator fitted to mine to give a little more headroom.
Bottom line is though, if the BM 1 does not float your boat with your chosen cans in terms of power/volume then the BM 2 will not take you out to sea either.

Steve

sabrehagen
19-09-2013, 14:18
I can partially answer this I hope. I have a pair of Beyer DT990/600 ohm which are a bit more demanding to drive than your 250 ohm's. Neither the BM 1 or BM 2 has sufficient power to drive these 'phones properly. When listening to these I always use my SOHA II amp. However, the BM drives my Grado GS1000's perfectly. The BM 2 has more detail and delicacy (see my previous posts) than the BM and I did have a 10v regulator fitted to mine to give a little more headroom.
Bottom line is though, if the BM 1 does not float your boat with your chosen cans in terms of power/volume then the BM 2 will not take you out to sea either.

Steve

Haha! I have never heard a better closing line of a review! Hilarious :) That's really disappointing to find out. I was hoping the incorporation of the venom upgrade might have taken it to the next level. Thanks for your info! That's rather a deal breaker for me sadly :(

NRG
19-09-2013, 15:45
Done the Toslink to Coax comparison and in my system Coax is by far the better choice. YMMV though...

Fi-Wi
19-09-2013, 17:04
I can't fully answer your question either since I never had a Mk1, but compared to the Caiman/Gator I own, my beyer DT990/250 never sounded better with the Mk2. Where the Caiman sounds kind of flat/dull to me, the Mk2 gives the punch, detail and depth I am looking for in music. I am now experiencing my music instead of listening to my headphones. It has been said before but it really is a pleasant surprise to hear details in my familiar music that I have never heard before. Stan's aim to maintain the producers sound and to dig as deep into the record as possible is achieved as far as I am concerned (and my Mk2 only has 4 flight hours).

I do have to say that I do not play at very loud volumes though. My ears are too precious for that and being only 42, I normally should still have some years left to enjoy my music. Why ruin that? :scratch:

sondale
19-09-2013, 18:50
My BM II was delivered on Saturday, it has been on for about eight hours each day and so is now well run in.

Before making any comments I should describe my system as it is this week. For music I am running an SB Touch fed from a Synology NAS, the music is held as WAV or Uncompressed FLAC, this goes into the BM II via optical at the moment. From the BM to a Temple Audio Bantam Gold into a Klipsch La Scala bass unit and the Waveguide mid unit on a Gedlee Abbey - this may sound like an odd combo but it seems to work!

Until today I had been running just the Gedlee Abbeys which sounded fine, just need a bit of a kick.

So how does it sound? Probably the best sound I have heard from any of my systems in the last twenty or so years. I agree with all the comments about extended frequency response, attack and naturalness of the BM II.

I have listened to a variety of music but so far the stand out sounds have come from John Lill's Beethoven Sonatas (where the reverberation on the low notes is superb) and Natalie Clein playing Kodaly Sonatas for solo cello (where the attack as the bow hits the strings is superb, nowhere near as good as live of course!).

When I listen to music one of the things that I love is being able to hear the various strands that make up the whole - the BM II makes this easy to do.

So thanks to Stan again for an excellent product. Thanks are also due to the people mentioning Radio Paradise, an excellent source of music even for us OAPs, from the first moment with the BM and RP my foot was tapping!

Freeman
19-09-2013, 19:53
My BM II was delivered on Saturday, it has been on for about eight hours each day and so is now well run in.

Before making any comments I should describe my system as it is this week. For music I am running an SB Touch fed from a Synology NAS, the music is held as WAV or Uncompressed FLAC, this goes into the BM II via optical at the moment. From the BM to a Temple Audio Bantam Gold into a Klipsch La Scala bass unit and the Waveguide mid unit on a Gedlee Abbey - this may sound like an odd combo but it seems to work!

Until today I had been running just the Gedlee Abbeys which sounded fine, just need a bit of a kick.

So how does it sound? Probably the best sound I have heard from any of my systems in the last twenty or so years. I agree with all the comments about extended frequency response, attack and naturalness of the BM II.

I have listened to a variety of music but so far the stand out sounds have come from John Lill's Beethoven Sonatas (where the reverberation on the low notes is superb) and Natalie Clein playing Kodaly Sonatas for solo cello (where the attack as the bow hits the strings is superb, nowhere near as good as live of course!).

When I listen to music one of the things that I love is being able to hear the various strands that make up the whole - the BM II makes this easy to do.

So thanks to Stan again for an excellent product. Thanks are also due to the people mentioning Radio Paradise, an excellent source of music even for us OAPs, from the first moment with the BM and RP my foot was tapping!

Hi Alan,
I'm very encouraged by your review, I've recently got back into music and bought a modest system, with a Sonos Connect source and a Bantam Gold Amp. I was considering a Bushmaster MK2 as my first upgrade. Sounds like that would be a good decision :)

Mark

sabrehagen
19-09-2013, 21:07
Done the Toslink to Coax comparison and in my system Coax is by far the better choice. YMMV though...

How do you find Coax to be better?

StanleyB
20-09-2013, 06:50
There is no real comparison with its predecessor. Increased bass definition strikes you immediately then the dynamics and overall clarity much improved over the MKI. However what continues to impress me is the perspective both front to back and side to side when compared to the MKI. :
These are the key aspects of the information inside a digital audio file that I have been trying for years to be able to access and reproduce. I eventually figured out that it could only be achieved with a direct coupled output stage. Every DC blocking capacitor, opamp, etc. would be a potential barrier to micro detail. So they were avoided like the plague. How it sounds and what impact it would have on the music I have left to the listener. But the outcome is telling. One often repeated phrase is discovering extra layers in the music that owners have played for maybe decades, but were not even aware existed.

StanleyB
20-09-2013, 07:13
I have a pair of 250Ohm Beyerdynamic DT880s, which are comfortably driven by the Bushmaster, but it doesn't have the headroom to absolutely crank them. I listen to a lot of live recordings of bands, are are much quieter because they're mics in a bar, not direct instrument feeds, and they're not mastered hot by a recording company. Hence I need a bit of extra headroom on your standard produced track just to get the volume of the live recordings to the same level.
To do that you would need a high output voltage headphone stage. A typical 250 Ohms headphone can easily handle a 8Vrms or more audio signal. The Bushmaster is more aimed at headphone listeners with a average hearing level listening requirement. So the output level is restricted to around 4Vrms.
Saying that, I have made provisions in the headphone circuit design for it to be able to deliver up to 6Vrms. But to access that extra level requires the use of a 12V master regulator, some component changes, and a 15V power supply. The average BM buyer is not a headphone listener. So I didn't want to load the MKII with an additional increase in cost in a section of the DAC that the majority would not benefit from. I do however use the higher output modification myself in order to drive my 300 Ohms HD800. It is also good for experiencing physical movements of the frame from my D7000 32 Ohms headphones:eek:. But I don't think that it would pass the EU requirements on protecting the hearing of the user. So it is not something I wanted to implement in a stock item.

wee tee cee
20-09-2013, 07:41
Stan,
Ordered one off you just after lunch time yesterday.......Royal Mail handed it to me about half an hour ago.
Texted my missus thanking her for buying it for me...she was interested to know if you have some kind of spaceship delivery system?

Plumbed it in with the battery pack /hd 650s/toslink/v-link/usb/lap top with lossless i tunes........two John Martyn tracks as Im typing......as a headphone amp out of the box cold it is!!!! I dont really do fancy hi fi patter BUT aint nobody on this thread shilling.....what a bit of kit.

Will wait a couple of hours and play it through my system......couple of members were round yesterday and know my system, might have to re visit chaps!

Thanks Stan,

Kind regards Tony....

NRG
20-09-2013, 07:55
How do you find Coax to be better?

The Toslink sounded slightly compressed, less dynamic and with some loss of detail, however, this is in the context of my system and your milage may vary...I should probably look at getting one of Stan's Toslink cables at some point as the two I have may not be the best quality.

StanleyB
20-09-2013, 08:03
Stan,
Ordered one off you just after lunch time yesterday.......Royal Mail handed it to me about half an hour ago.
Texted my missus thanking her for buying it for me...she was interested to know if you have some kind of spaceship delivery system?
I was getting worried yesterday that I might not receive your address in time before I had to close the book on any more dispatches for the day. But I am pleased to learn that the BM is already up and running at this time of the morning. I don't think you'll be going too far from your HIFI this weekend then;)?

wee tee cee
20-09-2013, 08:19
Stan,
Please don't start a shoe or handbag business......I would be in real trouble.

Sent you a wee PM.

icehockeyboy
20-09-2013, 11:37
Now I've had mine in the system for a good few days now, I feel able to go into micro detail about the improvements from the mk1.

'Kin brilliant Dac!!!!!!!!!! :clapclapclap::yay::thumbsup::dance::more:

wee tee cee
20-09-2013, 11:44
listened to it on the spendors for a couple of hours.......biggest upgrade in sound I've heard in my system full stop.
Plumb the statics in tonight and see how things go.....
Couple of the troops were over yesterday and we a play about with amps/cables/speakers......The BM is shockingly good. Try and get them back across next week, I dont think its just me!!!

CSM
20-09-2013, 12:10
Reading all these comments makes the patient wait even tougher. The silver units re-stock in early october, as stan told me. For my electronics, silver would look better, so I may as well wait.

It's going to be the central point of my audio rig - pre amp for speakers, main dac and main headphone amp - like the BM1 currently is.

CSM
20-09-2013, 12:11
listened to it on the spendors for a couple of hours.......biggest upgrade in sound I've heard in my system full stop.
Plumb the statics in tonight and see how things go.....
Couple of the troops were over yesterday and we a play about with amps/cables/speakers......The BM is shockingly good. Try and get them back across next week, I dont think its just me!!!

Shockingly good. Those are the two words I'd use to describe the BM1 too.

brian2957
20-09-2013, 13:11
Stan,

Plumbed it in with the battery pack /hd 650s/toslink/v-link/usb/lap top with lossless i tunes........two John Martyn tracks as Im typing......as a headphone amp out of the box cold it is!!!! I dont really do fancy hi fi patter BUT aint nobody on this thread shilling.....what a bit of kit.

Will wait a couple of hours and play it through my system......couple of members were round yesterday and know my system, might have to re visit chaps!

Thanks Stan,

Kind regards Tony....
Aye , spent a very nice afternoon round at Tonys listening to his system . Had a short listen to his headphone setup using HD 650s and very nice it was too. I'm not a big headphone fan but I could easily have lived with this combination . Also got the chance to listen to his system using his laptop / ITunes into Temple Audio monoblocks feeding his Quad electrostatics and Spendor SP1s . Really enjoyed listening to this system and I was particularly taken with the big Spendors . Really enjoyable and informative afternoon.

wee tee cee
20-09-2013, 14:33
Aye , spent a very nice afternoon round at Tonys listening to his system . Had a short listen to his headphone setup using HD 650s and very nice it was too. I'm not a big headphone fan but I could easily have lived with this combination . Also got the chance to listen to his system using his laptop / ITunes into Temple Audio monoblocks feeding his Quad electrostatics and Spendor SP1s . Really enjoyed listening to this system and I was particularly taken with the big Spendors . Really enjoyable and informative afternoon.Thanks,
Really enjoyed no bullshit session, for two guys that build cables and servers to be so positive about my basic laptop set up at least let me know I was on the right path.
Without being funny you guys set a time that suits next week and gie this beastie a swatch......I canny get ma head round what its doing with tracks I thought a knew backwards........be interested to get yer take on the cans again-without rippin the pish its in a different league!!!!!

brian2957
20-09-2013, 15:09
Sounds very interesting mate . I'm in the market for a new DAC and I've been hanging fire for the new Bushmaster before making a decision . I've had a couple of Stans DACs in the past and they've all been excellent . Looks like it will be going to the top of the list .

icehockeyboy
20-09-2013, 16:53
Sounds very interesting mate . I'm in the market for a new DAC and I've been hanging fire for the new Bushmaster before making a decision . I've had a couple of Stans DACs in the past and they've all been excellent . Looks like it will be going to the top of the list .

Good call!

Yomanze
20-09-2013, 18:32
So we have "in a different league" and "no comparison" views on the BM2? This suggests a very significant difference.

John
20-09-2013, 18:41
I not really heard the MK1 so cannot compare, what I can say the performance is very high. I think the biggest suprise is just the increase in dynamics. Bass is now up with my Salvation and I never heard any DAC get near that kind of performance. The sound is digital but in a good way, its not trying to warm or seduce you, its trying to get you closer to the performance.

wee tee cee
20-09-2013, 19:13
shite in shite out......for me having less than 12 hrs on it,headphones/cables/amps......FTF!

Lee
22-09-2013, 09:41
I want to thank Stan for creating something wonderful. I picked up the Bushmaster MkII from Stan in London last week. I live in Edinburgh, so I had to wait until I could get back home to give it a listen. I took the train back home Friday evening and arrived around midnight. I unhooked the Bushmaster MkI and slipped the new DAC into my system. .... Immediately I knew this was a different animal altogether. 4 1/2 hours later, I forced myself to go to bed, only to wake up at 7:30 and immediately switch the music back on. Needless to say, I'm a 60 year old kid with his new best of the best toy. It's the sort of feeling where you want to call all your friends over to have a listen. Not to show off, but just to share the amazement of how it sounds.

How does it sound? Emotional! Dynamic. Articulate. Detailed. Moving. Foot tapping timing. Definded, precise soundstage. All this, without a hint of fatique or edginess. The original Bushmaster had plenty of all of these qualities, but the MkII is in a different league altogether. Bass is deep and moving. I'm hearing the movement of acoustic strings, the reverb of live recordings, the breath (in and out) of singers, the foot taps, the sounds of the audience giving a real sense of the venue where it recorded. I've never been one to pay too much attention to lyrics, not that I don't like the poetry of a song, but until now, the words were always difficult to distinguish. With the MkII every word is articulated with precision and emotion. Listening to Tom Jones and Seasick Steve performing together on the BBC Sessions I recorded last week is a thing of beauty. Of course badly produced music is still badly produced, but even with those I can reach closer to the performance. With well produced titles, the sounds are GLORIOUS!

I have played the MKII mostly through my speaker system, but also had a bit of time to listen through my Grado 1000's. Both are excellent. But the sense of it being live, having the performers in place in my room, having the room melt away and the recording venue appear is something that keeps me listening through the speakers.

I just have one "complaint." I have two systems. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. Both were set up identically with Bushmaster MkI's. Now I'm going to have to buy another MKII to replace the remaining MKI. ... I can't even say this is a complaint, because in all honesty, Stan deserves to be compensated in spades for his genius and willingness to sell his creations to those of us that don't have tens of thousands to build their systems. And for anyone in doubt, Stan is the real deal. I've met him several times and every time I do, I leave impressed that he is evidences that good men, honest and with integrity and good humour do still exist in our world.

MOST HiGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

icehockeyboy
22-09-2013, 09:52
I want to thank Stan for creating something wonderful. I picked up the Bushmaster MkII from Stan in London last week. I live in Edinburgh, so I had to wait until i could get back home to give it a listen. I took the train back home Friday evening and arrived around midnight. I unhooked the Bushmaster MkI and slipped the new DAC into my system. .... Immediately I knew this was a different animal altogether. 4 1/2 hours later, I forced myself to go to bed, only to wake up at 7:30 and immediately switch the music back on. Needless to say, I'm a 60 year old kid with his new best of the best toy. It's the sort of feeling where you want to call all your friends over to have a listen. Not to show off, but just to share the amazement of how it sounds.

How does it sound? Emotional! Articulate. Detailed. Moving. Foot tapping timing. Definded, precise soundstage. All this, without a hint of fatique or edginess. The original Bushmaster had plenty of all of these qualities, but the MkII is in a different league altogether. Bass is deep and moving. I'm hearing the movement of acoustic strings, the reverb of live recordings, the breath (in and out) of singers, the foot taps, the sounds of the audience giving a real sense of the venue where it recorded. I've never been one to pay too much attention to lyrics, not that I don't like the poetry of a song, but until now, the words were always difficult to distinguish. With the MkII every word is articulated with precision and emotion. Listening to Tom Jones and Seasick Steve performing together on the BBC Sessions I recorded last week was a thing of beauty. Of course badly produced music is still badly produced, but even with those I can reach closer to the performance. With well produced titles, the sounds are GLORIOUS!

I have played the MKII mostly through my speaker system, but also had a bit of time to listen through my Grado 1000's. Both are excellent. But the sense of it being live, having the performers in place in my room, having the room melt away and the recording venue appear is something that keeps me listening through the speakers.

I just have one "complaint." I have two systems. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. Both were set up identically with Bushmaster MkI's. Now I'm going to have to buy another MKII to replace the remaining MKI. ... I can't even say this is a complaint, because in all honesty, Stan deserves to be recommenced for his genius and willingness to sell his creations to those of us that don't have tens of thousands to build their systems. And for anyone in doubt, Stan is the real deal. I've met him several times and every time I do, I leave impressed that he is evidences that good men, honest and with integrity do still exist in our world.

MOST HiGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

I already said all of what is written above didn't i?

'Kin great Dac!

Well it was very similar wasn't it! :lol:

Lee
22-09-2013, 10:20
Yes, you did. And your words were the confirmation I needed to hear to get me to upgrade from the MKI. Just thought I'd add another voice, with a different system, a different room and different ears. I don't post often, but Stan deserves all the accolades he can get here. :)

NRG
22-09-2013, 10:29
I had a good session with the BM last night, rest of the family was out...I was all ready to write a detailed post but Lee has saved me the bother! It's excellent, really really good, I agree totally. http://theartofsound.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.png

icehockeyboy
22-09-2013, 11:02
Yes, you did. And your words were the confirmation I needed to hear to get me to upgrade from the MKI. Just thought I'd add another voice, with a different system, a different room and different ears. I don't post often, but Stan deserves all the accolades he can get here. :)

So pleased to hear that Lee, and you are right about Stan, I've known him now for a few years since the buzz was on about his very first Dac, he is a genuinely nice guy, and without wishing to ruffle any feathers, I can't understand some of the posts that claim he is otherwise.....

wee tee cee
22-09-2013, 17:11
Lees,
Post is far more eloquent than I could write, but encapsulates Everything the MK2 has bought to my listening, the bit about vocals is perfectly correct the system was playing when I went into the kitchen to get a cup of tea, Lauren Hill was playing and The words I've never really paid attention to became decipherable and almost poetic.

Its given my system a breath of fresh air........plumbed the 63s in just to give them a whirl, my pair could do with a fettle but the bass they are producing goes against everything people say about statics not being able to produce bass.....wonderful.

I too have been getting up early and staying up late revisiting my whole music collection.

StanleyB
22-09-2013, 18:44
.plumbed the 63s in just to give them a whirl, my pair could do with a fettle but the bass they are producing goes against everything people say about statics not being able to produce bass.....wonderful.
The same saying goes for the NS1000M. But the MKII really makes my speakers come to life to reveal just how excellent these speakers really are. The bass is now so good that my subwoofer is ready for disposal.

wee tee cee
23-09-2013, 07:54
Got a couple of hours of heat into my croft 7 and old 63s....I thought I knew a lot of my music inside out, boy oh boy. Stevie Wonder, Have a talk with god-songs in the key of life , detail and noises I never heard in 30 years. My good lady intervened eventually threatening to play KYLIE!!!! If I didn't change track . Some Ella Fitzgerald/Joni Mitchell stood her down from the stand off.

davidslr
24-09-2013, 10:55
I've had the Bushmaster II running for nearly a week now and am starting to get a feel for the DAC's range. My CD's in general have a smoother sound and clearer and the DAC brings out even more detail in my T1's - the soundstage seems a little larger than before. I do notice that most songs seem to have a greater breadth and I've discovered new detail in music I've known forever. For instance in Radiohead's Let Down I heard tiny details with guitar and symbols in the right channel which I've never noticed before and I must have played Ok Computer at least 100 times. I prefer the sound of the coax cable to the Toslink at this stage because it has a warmer feel to me, but it's early days.

Bass has more snap and voices, particularly women's vocals are clearer. On a Caitlin Rose song, Pink Champagne, I can clearly hear the articulation of the tongue on the t in 'to me.' Quite incredible detail. It's like the artist is singing right next to you.

I'm no audiophile but the Bushmaster DAC has certainly enhanced my system (Rega Apollo-R CD player, Burson Audio HA 160 headphone amp, Beyerdynamic T1 headphones) and it's much fun to discover new details in favourite songs. I discovered the Bushmaster MK II on the recommendation of an audiophile friend. I was initially going to buy the Rega DAC but happy I didn't because the Bushmaster's range does sound better to my ears. The Bushmaster Mk 2 is worth every penny and delivery was rapid.

Highly recommended

davidslr

wee tee cee
24-09-2013, 14:43
I've had the Bushmaster II running for nearly a week now and am starting to get a feel for the DAC's range. My CD's in general have a smoother sound and clearer and the DAC brings out even more detail in my T1's - the soundstage seems a little larger than before. I do notice that most songs seem to have a greater breadth and I've discovered new detail in music I've known forever. For instance in Radiohead's Let Down I heard tiny details with guitar and symbols in the right channel which I've never noticed before and I must have played Ok Computer at least 100 times. I prefer the sound of the coax cable to the Toslink at this stage because it has a warmer feel to me, but it's early days.

Bass has more snap and voices, particularly women's vocals are clearer. On a Caitlin Rose song, Pink Champagne, I can clearly hear the articulation of the tongue on the t in 'to me.' Quite incredible detail. It's like the artist is singing right next to you.

I'm no audiophile but the Bushmaster DAC has certainly enhanced my system (Rega Apollo-R CD player, Burson Audio HA 160 headphone amp, Beyerdynamic T1 headphones) and it's much fun to discover new details in favourite songs. I discovered the Bushmaster MK II on the recommendation of an audiophile friend. I was initially going to buy the Rega DAC but happy I didn't because the Bushmaster's range does sound better to my ears. The Bushmaster Mk 2 is worth every penny and delivery was rapid.

Highly recommended

davidslrDavid,
Have you played packed in like sardines yet.......scary stuff-your experience echoes mine.
Regards Tony in rainy Glasgow.......

kininigin
24-09-2013, 21:41
Should be getting a pre amp very soon,so i will then be able to see what all the fuss is about!

You got plenty in stock stan?

StanleyB
24-09-2013, 21:49
You got plenty in stock stan?
Sold out clean in less than 10 days, with some customers ordering another one straight after receiving their first order. Next batch is due mid October. Best email me to get on the new waiting list.

kininigin
24-09-2013, 21:59
Blimey that was quick :lol: Mid october sounds good to me anyway,so no problem there.

Pm on it's way!

I will be looking forward to comparing it to the caiman,i have never done a side by side camparison with any item of hi-fi.I usually sell what i have to fund the next thing :D

The Grand Wazoo
24-09-2013, 22:10
Stan's asking to be contacted by email Darren.

kininigin
24-09-2013, 22:19
Stan's asking to be contacted by email Darren.

Erm,yeah i know Chris. Was that not evident in my reply? :scratch:

The Grand Wazoo
24-09-2013, 22:27
Erm no!
The words:

Pm on it's way!
...would lead me to believe that you sent a PM. An email would require the use of a different series of letters of the alphabet - maybe e...m...a...i...l!
He-heh just trying to help matey!

kininigin
24-09-2013, 22:31
Erm no!
The words:

...would lead me to believe that you sent a PM. An email would require the use of a different series of letters of the alphabet - maybe e...m...a...i...l!
He-heh just trying to help matey!

Haha,yeah what a doughnut! It's been a long day,that's my excuse and i'm sticking with it!

Thanks for the help,i could of been waiting a long time for the Bushmaster :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
24-09-2013, 22:33
We got there eventually, but calling yourself a doughnut's a bit harsh, I think!

kininigin
24-09-2013, 22:35
We got there eventually, but calling yourself a doughnut's a bit harsh, I think!

I usually use much more colourful language,so not really!

dave-gray
24-09-2013, 23:38
Received my Bushmaster II today from Stan. I must of been one of the last in the current batch before stocks ran out. :champagne:

Stan thanks for such great service.

It's only been warming up for a few hours but wow it already sounds incredible. The level of new detail is amazing, it improves on the Squeezebox touch DAC easily!

What I love is that the sound is really well balanced across the board.

Because the Bushmaster II is so reasonably priced I really wasn't sure how good it would be despite the glowing reviews here. I shouldn't have worried, IMHO it's an absolute steal for the price!

Marco
25-09-2013, 06:36
I usually use much more colourful language,so not really!

Yesh, daftee, it's probably fair to say that you're four sultanas short of a full fruitcake! :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

skimminstones
25-09-2013, 06:41
What's the price of these?

StanleyB
25-09-2013, 06:51
Depends. But for UK buyers it's about £210 delivered.
OK, I know that's peanuts, which might give the impression that it is possible to buy something better sounding at a higher price. But so far nobody who has bought a MKII has been able to say that their far more expensive previous DAC was better in doing what the TC-7533 does best.

wee tee cee
25-09-2013, 07:21
Stan,
To some its not peanuts, myself included.......but its the best £200 odd quid I have spent in a long time. One of the Scottish members in a similar financial position to myself bought one and phoned me yesterday......he is as surprised as me how good the DAC is. Greatly appreciate you being able to give guys like us a taste of the luxury for affordable prices. "champagne mouth with lemonade pockets"
Thankyou.

StanleyB
25-09-2013, 08:31
The trouble with the DAC market is that it is full of BS marketing, with prices to match. I have seen DACs stuffed with row after row of expensive components, but no clear indication of why. I last looked inside a DAC that had at least 10 LM117 regulators and two massive transformers. Why? The LM117 regulator measured specification is inferior to any of the regulators in the MKII. So why hang on to an inferior and more expensive regulator that requires the addition of a heatsink for each regulator, and transformers that can cope with all that wasted heat produced? What are the technical reasons? There are none. It will just cost more to build, and give the impression that it is better.

So why is the MKII so excellent in its reproduction? That's because I used bang up to date technology with higher performance precision, instead of using old and outdated expensive ones. I went shopping for ultra low noise components and solutions from the military and satellite manufacturing industry, where they have been battling noise and figuring out ways to listen out for any fly coughing all the way on Mars.
With the TC-7533 you hear the increase in performance of those super low noise components, but without an expensive price tag. Previously difficult to decode bits are now easy to hear. So how did I manage that? Simple. By ignoring the BS that has been claiming expensive parts are the solution.

I used to accept as fact a lot of the things that technical and non-technical people wrote about DACs and how to get more out of them. But now that I make the stuff myself I have started to question the science behind most of these claims.

wee tee cee
25-09-2013, 12:31
suppose its like a casio watch that keeps perfect time battery lasts 20yrs no servicing/water proof to hundreds of meters/cost a fiver.........but my expensive blah blah only needs an annual service £300 a pop/loses a minute a month......but it cost me X.......who wants the former when you can have the latter at thousand times more money........maybe its just me?

worrasf
25-09-2013, 13:02
suppose its like a casio watch that keeps perfect time battery lasts 20yrs no servicing/water proof to hundreds of meters/cost a fiver.........
+1
Most reliable/long life watch I ever bought was a fake Gucci from a street vendor in Goa - kept perfect time for over 5 years - My late fathers' Rolex Oyster perpetual that he kindly left me is a piece of crap in comparison (ok it's automatic but you get the point).

Steve

wee tee cee
25-09-2013, 13:06
its not just me then.....relief!

kininigin
25-09-2013, 16:02
Yesh, daftee, it's probably fair to say that you're four sultanas short of a full fruitcake! :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

I've been called worse,so i'll take that :D

Xaval
25-09-2013, 20:18
+1
Most reliable/long life watch I ever bought was a fake Gucci from a street vendor in Goa - kept perfect time for over 5 years - My late fathers' Rolex Oyster perpetual that he kindly left me is a piece of crap in comparison (ok it's automatic but you get the point).

SteveThat same (lovely) rollie will probably be handed down another generation if you keep it and service it. I'm not so sure about the other thing you mentioned.
Didn't meant to sound cheeky... I just love rollies :eyebrows:

wee tee cee
26-09-2013, 05:59
Stan,
Do you have any of those battery leads left? Bike is parked up at the moment the new battery keeps winking at me when I charge it up periodically in the cellar......pm sent.

StanleyB
26-09-2013, 06:14
Hi Tony, I shall have a look tomorrow to see the state of play with what I have left. I am off to see a mate this morning somewhere up the M1. Won't be back in time for the post I reckon.

wee tee cee
26-09-2013, 06:42
Thanks stan,
When you get time invoice me and my missus can do the paypal bit. Bike battery on trickle charge as we speak.
Kind Regards,

Tony.

worrasf
26-09-2013, 06:57
That same (lovely) rollie will probably be handed down another generation if you keep it and service it. I'm not so sure about the other thing you mentioned.
Didn't meant to sound cheeky... I just love rollies :eyebrows:

Indeed - this takes us into the whole area of "quality" see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance

Steve

wee tee cee
26-09-2013, 08:00
The metaphysics of quality.......great book-the bit when he makes a shim out a bit of beer can to the BMW owners horror resonates greatly with me!

worrasf
26-09-2013, 08:09
The metaphysics of quality.......great book-the bit when he makes a shim out a bit of beer can to the BMW owners horror resonates greatly with me!

That's so weird because that's exactly the scene that stood out for me - just brilliant and applicable to our audiophille world ;)
I wonder if you have to be/been a motorcycle owner to appreciate the meaning of the "shim" ?

Steve

wee tee cee
26-09-2013, 08:15
That's so weird because that's exactly the scene that stood out for me - just brilliant and applicable to our audiophille world ;)
I wonder if you have to be/been a motorcycle owner to appreciate the meaning of the "shim" ?

Steve990 adventure, multiple home made shims on board..........glad its not just me.
but,but a DAC at £200 cant sound better than my -insert as applicable.......

worrasf
26-09-2013, 08:45
990 adventure, multiple home made shims on board..........glad its not just me.
but,but a DAC at £200 cant sound better than my -insert as applicable.......

AJS 650, Triumph tiger cub, Kwak 500, 750, Guzzi 750 - sadly all no longer in my possession as old age and slow reflexes kicked in :eyebrows:

Steve

walpurgis
26-09-2013, 09:26
Me too, no longer biking. May give it another go one day.

MartinT
26-09-2013, 10:18
So why is the MKII so excellent in its reproduction? That's because I used bang up to date technology with higher performance precision, instead of using old and outdated expensive ones. I went shopping for ultra low noise components and solutions from the military and satellite manufacturing industry, where they have been battling noise and figuring out ways to listen out for any fly coughing all the way on Mars.

Fascinating and very insightful, Stan. I know you better than to ask for your design secrets, but I would love to know more about some of your improvements in a general way. I can attest to the improved optical sound due to the high performance receiver, for a start.

wee tee cee
26-09-2013, 15:34
I have adopted the optical also as the performance even with cheap cables was better than any co-ax I have to hand. Scottish bake off looms look forward to trying some of the troops high quality co-ax leads........just to give it a go.

StanleyB
26-09-2013, 20:03
Fascinating and very insightful, Stan. I know you better than to ask for your design secrets, but I would love to know more about some of your improvements in a general way. I can attest to the improved optical sound due to the high performance receiver, for a start.
I treat datasheets like a work of fiction, but with some truth in them. That's because these things are written by technical writers based on information from engineers. In many cases vital information do not appear in print, but can be achieved with a design. A good example of this is how I managed to use the WM8716 from Wolfson as a substitute for the PCM1716 from TI. Who would ever have thought it possible to do such a thing until I did?
I also keep myself informed with relevant developments or improvements in the component market. I would try to get samples to try out and then see if I can make good use of them (I got boxes and boxes of component samples that I should really put on fleebay or AoS to make space in my office...). But there seems to be very little of this happening amongst other DAC designers, except John Westlake. The rest seems to be following rather than innovating.
But cost or minimum quantity order requirements can sometimes scupper the adoption of some parts, which is what also happened in the MKII. But I still got my mind set on releasing a limited production run of a BM Special with some components that were too expensive to use if I wanted to keep the total price below £200. But I first have to make sure that the special version is better sounding than the regular production run.

Fi-Wi
27-09-2013, 07:08
Now that the Mk2 with its optimized optical outs succesfully went public, I forsee a run on bang-for-the-buck toslinks like this (http://www.amazon.com/Toslink-Glass-Digital-Audio-Highest/dp/B0017YUN3C) one.

wee tee cee
27-09-2013, 08:12
I am currently using a glass Mark Grant one......very good it is too. But I was using a 5m £5 amazon job plumbed through the floor and must admit it sounded great. I have a Atlas one i bought years ago, havent tried it yet and have asked Stan to sell me one of his (and battery cables if either are in stock).

Still getting my head round the DAC just now and feel head phone section is still improving day by day.

If I get round to a test bm mk2-optical-v-link mk1 will open a thread in the digital section relaying my findings....as always my ears/cans/music/source.
Would be nice to get a optical thread running in general.

My optical leads lay in drawers or were loaned out to friends for years the BM MK2 seems to my ears to be very good with optical....as mentioned havent tried a top notch co-ax with it yet........we will see!

NRG
27-09-2013, 08:16
I have adopted the optical also as the performance even with cheap cables was better than any co-ax I have to hand. Scottish bake off looms look forward to trying some of the troops high quality co-ax leads........just to give it a go.

That's interesting, I found coax to be better but I'm using a modded Squeezebox with BNC and pulse transformer output from a Tent labs X03...the Toslink output is from the SB main board...

icehockeyboy
27-09-2013, 11:22
Stan,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but at some stage did you not say that co ax cables gave better results than a toslink?

Interesting to see others saying the opposite, I will have to try it out for myself!

brian2957
27-09-2013, 11:37
Coax sounds better to these ears Craig.

StanleyB
27-09-2013, 11:40
From what I have managed to test and figure out, the quality of the sound is highly dependent on the source.

I did an experiment between my two SBT, two coax cables, two TOSLINK cables, one SMPS, and one linear PSU. Then I wired in my DVD player and all the results changed. Unfortunately my CDP only has TOSLINK out so I can't check that one to find out how it responds between TOSLINK and coax.

wee tee cee
27-09-2013, 16:32
Previously I have always prefered my v-link mk 1 with co-ax went through Mark Grants hierarchy, I really liked the the supra wbt 0110 ag both as a digital lead and ran a pair as interconnects....ended up with oyaide with the same plugs. Then ended up changing to a non up sampling DAC that my son now uses, the BM MK2 did the same effortless non fatiguing performance just upping the ante in all areas of performance without being harsh. I have felt little need to change cables as nothing grates sonically, with the optical in the past it was never right to my ears.
Just my take so far, haven't tried a really good co-ax so far....tried a MG Eichman silver bullet IC/belkin quad shielded co-ax went back to the optical as it is just more honest in my various set ups.

On the cans just now letting my KEL84 MONO blocks get some heat in them.....DIY jobs but very enjoyable, pair them with the spendor sp1 see how it goes.

Just as a wee experiment tried an original bantum today running on the battery pack I use with the BM.....just lovely.

wee tee cee
27-09-2013, 16:44
stan....PM replied to regards DC leads/optical.

bigmarty
27-09-2013, 17:38
But I still got my mind set on releasing a limited production run of a BM Special with some components that were too expensive to use if I wanted to keep the total price below £200. But I first have to make sure that the special version is better sounding than the regular production run.

Hi Stan I understand your very busy at the moment but any idea when the BM Special would be available or could the Bushmaster Mk.11 be retro fitted?

StanleyB
27-09-2013, 18:28
Hi Stan I understand your very busy at the moment but any idea when the BM Special would be available or could the Bushmaster Mk.11 be retro fitted?

I first have to see if it is sonically worth it. That could take months of swapping things and testing.
I have X amount of some special components and intend to use most of them for just this one task IF it is worth doing. The remainder are for use with other projects I intend to work on. I won't be doing any retro work. The Specials will be unique one-offs. I don't want to devalue their cost by flooding the market with copies.

bigmarty
27-09-2013, 19:01
Thanks Stan,

No problem, looking forward to the Bushmaster Mk11 in October.

CSM
28-09-2013, 22:50
Previously I have always prefered my v-link mk 1 with co-ax went through Mark Grants hierarchy, I really liked the the supra wbt 0110 ag both as a digital lead and ran a pair as interconnects....ended up with oyaide with the same plugs. Then ended up changing to a non up sampling DAC that my son now uses, the BM MK2 did the same effortless non fatiguing performance just upping the ante in all areas of performance without being harsh. I have felt little need to change cables as nothing grates sonically, with the optical in the past it was never right to my ears.
Just my take so far, haven't tried a really good co-ax so far....tried a MG Eichman silver bullet IC/belkin quad shielded co-ax went back to the optical as it is just more honest in my various set ups.

On the cans just now letting my KEL84 MONO blocks get some heat in them.....DIY jobs but very enjoyable, pair them with the spendor sp1 see how it goes.

Just as a wee experiment tried an original bantum today running on the battery pack I use with the BM.....just lovely.

I use the V-link II with the bushmaster (first version) and I found the coax better than the optical too. It's a v-link property I guess

wee tee cee
29-09-2013, 06:38
Stan has spent a bit of extra money and time on the optical inputs to my ears.....so far it betters the co-ax, early days though. Have started a optical thread in the digital section any experience/recommendations from members greatly received.
One of the Scottish aos members phoned me last night he has a BM MK2 -V-LINK MK2 and is using co-ax with a cable he made up himself. We will get together and have a wee trial.
We are both really Impressed with the BM 2 he hasn't had the chance to try headphones yet......he is in for a treat.

aBe
30-09-2013, 03:48
I first have to see if it is sonically worth it. That could take months of swapping things and testing.
I have X amount of some special components and intend to use most of them for just this one task IF it is worth doing. The remainder are for use with other projects I intend to work on. I won't be doing any retro work. The Specials will be unique one-offs. I don't want to devalue their cost by flooding the market with copies.

I will wait for the Special edition then.
Hope it's not going to take too long to materialise.

In the meantime I can continue nursing my heart-ache due to the immense urge in signing on the dotted line for the new MkII...

Breath in..Breath out....Restrain :mental:

StanleyB
30-09-2013, 05:25
OK I shall take you off the waiting list of the stock unit. But please keep in mind that the special version is likely to cost about U$500 odd.

wee tee cee
30-09-2013, 07:22
Had a AOS member across yesterday, listened to quite a few amps and speakers. He is a cable sceptic and turntable guy (lp12/older naim kit). He never mentioned the DAC once......open window to the music!

It just plays recordings as they are warts and all or exposes hidden depths of subtlety that you hadn't noticed or been able to resolve before. I was really chuffed that we kept writing down music we were playing as opposed to listening to hi fi.

brian2957
30-09-2013, 07:26
I will wait for the Special edition then.
Hope it's not going to take too long to materialise.

In the meantime I can continue nursing my heart-ache due to the immense urge in signing on the dotted line for the new MkII...

Breath in..Breath out....Restrain :mental:

Do yourself a favour Abe and buy the MK 2 . It's a cracking DAC and you will be missing out if you don't.

wee tee cee
30-09-2013, 07:39
Hows yours coming along Brian....managed to listen to the cans yet!!!!!

aBe
30-09-2013, 09:27
OK I shall take you off the waiting list of the stock unit. But please keep in mind that the special version is likely to cost about U$500 odd.

Stan,

My self-restraint threshold is as low as my boredom's.
I think the MKII will be a New Year's gift to meself soon. :D
(Unless the Special is coming before Boxing day)

Brian,

You're not helping much on my self control issue here, mate. Hahaaa

brian2957
30-09-2013, 09:27
Sittin in da airport matey :D

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

wee tee cee
30-09-2013, 10:09
enjoy yer break ye deserve it.......get together when we get back.

brian2957
30-09-2013, 10:50
Ta mate c u when i get back .

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

jl-lb.ms
30-09-2013, 23:42
Just received the Mk-II. Driven by Apple TV optical into AKG 701 headphones. Wow!

wee tee cee
01-10-2013, 11:16
It will Improve even further after a few hundred hours. Enjoy....

icehockeyboy
01-10-2013, 11:28
I am absolutely loving my BM2, and is it just coincidence that for the first time ever the wife says my set up sounds great?
I will stick in my opti cable soon, and see if I can hear a difference, it's a half decent QED one, so we will see, or hear as is more to the point. :)

wee tee cee
01-10-2013, 11:57
Craig,
Nice postman just delivered one of Stans Opticals (My wife payed via paypal this morning......Stan sent it yesterday afternoon PRIOR to payment-thats what I call good customer service).
Be rude not to give it a wee whirl on the cans.....three or four songs was all I needed to realise its the best I have so far tried. Stan gives BM MK2 customers a discount to boot......top notch optical for the price of a bottle of Lidl bourbon!!!!!

Had a sneaking suspicion if it was used in the development of the DAC is was going to be good.

Might have also had two battery leads delivered.......where did I leave that Motorcycle battery?
Will try it on a t amp first don't want to risk the BM to my sausage finger wiring skills.

wee tee cee
01-10-2013, 16:17
Stan,
I'm a battery convert, any chance of another battery lead......Im completely off the grid, music sounds the best I have heard yet!

StanleyB
01-10-2013, 17:22
Stan,
I'm a battery convert, any chance of another battery lead......Im completely off the grid, music sounds the best I have heard yet!
I'll try to remember to pop one in the post for you tomorrow.
The BM2 has an extremely low noise floor when used with batteries. The kind of additional detail that can be heard when using battery power is 2nd to none. That's why I made sure the BM could be used with a 12V battery once I discovered the advantage of using one.
You can pay silly money for the battery pack that goes with some other DACs. But I made it possible to use even a 12V car battery that has had its days. My old car battery has not been charged up for years. But it is still powering my BM. I reckon it will probably continue to do so for some years to come at this rate:D.

wee tee cee
01-10-2013, 19:07
Stan,
please invoice me for a tenner plus the lead........have a bottle on me. Chuffed to bits.

wee tee cee
01-10-2013, 19:59
Pulled the battery out the bike this afternoon......had some old bike and car batteries that I tried-then worried, put them on the volt meter.....fooked. Plumbed in the new bike battery no problems......sublime.
£40 buys a good lead acid car battery....with some bits of wire and an in-line fuse/switch you're up and running for less than £60.....might seem daft initially but just try it.....you will be pleasantly surprised.

worrasf
01-10-2013, 20:14
but just try it.....you will be pleasantly surprised.

:thumbsup: +1

I have a couple of these battery packs: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300954998440?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Interestingly, I first used them with the BM I and was a tad underwhelmed and found the Mark Grant linear PSU/Sbooster (best of 2 worlds) gave me a much better sound and I continued to use it with the BM II to good effect. I then tried the DC battery packs with the BM II and was surprised to find the SQ was even better! Punchier and tighter bass with improved timing - so in effect the same improvements the BM II brings to the BM I but more of it.
I may well try a larger battery - will probably try a Yuasa motorcycle type due to space constraints.

Steve

wee tee cee
01-10-2013, 20:40
I run a KTM 990 ADV the yuasa battery from them is 130 the same model and make happens to power the st13oo pan european at 65. Same battery with a Honda logo......if it can crank a high compression litre v twin a couple of mono blocks and Dac wont break sweat.

worrasf
01-10-2013, 21:14
I'm not overly keen on live albums - not because I don't appreciate the variation from the studio "perfection" 'cos I do - but because I usually find the audience applause before and after (and all too often during) the piece really annoying. It usually sounds like something a S.E.T.I. acolyte listens to across the universe. Not difficult to understand why as it's a multitude of complex out of time percussions well away from the mikes. Yet I was struck while listening to the Alan Stivell live 40th anniversary album tonight that the BM II even manages to tame this cacophony (applause not Stivell). I'm not suggesting we now go and compare "best applause albums I have owned" but it's yet another measure of this DAC's capabilities.

Steve

:gig:
:clapclapclap: :clapclapclap:

StanleyB
02-10-2013, 07:12
Aye..., the BM2 can produce a three dimensional image detail, and accuracy, unlike any other DAC I have managed to borrow or buy and compare it against. As far as the cost of systems from current owners is concerned, the BM2 appears to be extremely flexible. I don't recollect anyone mentioning that they needed to upgrade their source, amp, headphones, or speakers in order to notice the benefits that the BM2 brings to the way music is produced. Experiments have been limited to cables and battery versus mains power.

My only real fear is the stock availability. The waiting list is already 50% of the previous one. The difference is that the first list took about four months to compile. The current list is just two weeks old. If it continues at this rate, only people on the list will be able to get their hands on a BM2 before the stock runs out again.

I'll have to figure out very soon how to switch from making the case by hand, and assembling the complete DAC by hand, to doing a lot more mechanically. Otherwise I am never going to keep up with the demand. For this kind of product, customers don't seem to be bothered if the DAC is individually hand built or mass produced. I doubt that there are many other DACs on the market that are still largely made by hand and tested. It's not like I am building an expensively priced piece of audio equipment.

MartinT
02-10-2013, 08:18
I'll have to figure out very soon how to switch from making the case by hand, and assembling the complete DAC by hand, to doing a lot more mechanically. Otherwise I am never going to keep up with the demand. For this kind of product, customers don't seem to be bothered if the DAC is individually hand built or mass produced. I doubt that there are many other DACs on the market that are still largely made by hand and tested. It's not like I am building an expensively priced piece of audio equipment.

It strikes me that you have a problem that is worth having, Stan :lol:

icehockeyboy
02-10-2013, 11:01
Couldn't resist it, just ordered one of Stan's optical cables,
Can't wait to get it, :)

Fi-Wi
02-10-2013, 16:38
Being a sceptical, I hesitated and considered to safely read the user experiences first before buying a Mk2. Luckily my curiousity pursuaded me to get one out of the first batch. Wow, I cannot believe how well this little device performs! It makes me appreciate my beloved Charios even more, spitting out so much more music. The "live experience" of jazz or classical is way better than my Caiman/Gator combo delivered with the same cd's or files. And that's only after about 40 hours of playing time with my Mk2, so I guess it can only get better. The details, dynamics and "pronounciation" in my music are truly incredible.

Hats off for you Stan!

CSM
02-10-2013, 22:13
Can't wait for the silver bm2 to be in stock. My headphones are waiting...longing rather to be driven by this piece of equipment. I reckon this will take my T1's to new heights and will give the ultrasone signature pro a real injection of detail and dimensionality it needs.

It'll be the nervous center, like the first bushmaster already is, for my entire audio system at home.

MartinT
03-10-2013, 05:16
It'll be the nervous center

Why is it worried?

StanleyB
03-10-2013, 05:31
Just have a read of what wee cee tee has been doing to system, and you'll understand why they should be worried. Nothing in his system has been spared scrutiny after the arrival of the TC-7533. Everything has been subjected to a re-interview to justify its position in the audio chain. Some have been promoted, others demoted, and now I read that his Croft 7 has been sacked :eek:.

wee tee cee
03-10-2013, 21:23
shite in shite out......the front end if lacking will hamstring everything down stream. If you clean the your glasses and see the world more clearly you might not like the view.

wee tee cee
04-10-2013, 05:47
Had a listen to the cans last night, noticed another slight Improvement when running off a bike battery as opposed to the cam corder battery......extra current?
Will switch to a car battery today that should provide loads of juice to the BM and T amps-just need to get hold of some battery clamps.

sabrehagen
15-10-2013, 22:39
Hi guys,

I just thought I'd compare my experience using the BM II with you guys. I have been an owner of the BM I for about one year, and am extremely satisfied with its superb reproduction abilities. Stan described it as being 'as close to vinyl as possible' before I purchased it. That description I have found to ring true, with a rich warmth and vivd musicality producted by the BM I. However, after getting my BM II a couple of weeks ago, and after burning it in for nearly a week and a half straight, I have found no noticable improvement in clarity nor separation. Furthermore, the warmth has lessened for me, creating a much less engaging sound that feels thinner, and overall less pleasurable and less exciting to listen to.

I am comparing like with like. Both BMs use one of Stan's optical cables, fed by my PC, powered by the included SMPS. I am using the built in headphones amp with the same pair of headphones. I would like to investigate the 12v battery route to see if there is any perceived difference. Does anybody know if a 12v battery can also be used with the BM I? Still, given that the BM I is already ahead, I could only assume adding the 12v battery to the set up would improve both devices equally, thus still having the BM I come out on top.

Have any other owners compared the BM I and BM II side by side? What are your experiences? It seems illogical to thing that it is possible to produce a BM I that is flukily better than the rest, like the anomaly that exists in hand made guitar pickups whereby some are better than others due to the number of wounds that are put on and the tightness and density of the winds. Would you feel it is Stan? I don't believe I could have got a better than average BM I, but the fact that people are saying the BM II outperforms the BM I significantly, it is making me question this concept.

I haven't had a chance to install the BMs in a setting where they are only used as DACs with an external amplifier, so that I can isolate the DAC component of the BM and eliminate the variability of the two different headphone amps. This may give me a chance to hear better clarity, separation, and imaging, but as of this point I am sceptical. I would hear the clarity and imaging improvement in my current set up, if it were there. The different headphone amplifiers would not mask this change.

Don't take this as an open swipe at the BM II from an unhappy customer, it is far from it. I have been evangelical about the BM I, and have never encountered a DAC from any other competitor, in any other price range, that I have felt trumps it. I have taken the device to meets to spread the word about it, as well as local hifi shops. It has been the best investment I have ever made. It has brought me far more joy through music than I could have ever imagined. Stan's service is traditional and personal which is rare to find nowadays. As you can see, it has all been a great experience for me, and hence why this post is not an attack, but meerly an honest coverage of my experience with the new BM. My intentions are to share my experience, and hopefully improve it. I mean, who wants to spend hard earned cash on a new DAC that everybody is raving about, and find that when you listen, the old one out performs it? I would *love* to be satisfied with my new purcahse, and able to sell the BM I, but I can't do it at the moment, because the BM I is still a much more enjoyable experience.

Thus, I ask, are there any owners out there who own both BMs, and what are your experiences with them, and the perceived differences.

StanleyB
15-10-2013, 22:57
The MKII is different in sound on the headphone side of things. The primary improvements as far as headphone users are concerned, have been aimed at reducing the overall gain, improving dynamic range and headroom, and swapping the volume control from a linear to a log type. So if you are comparing signal levels based on the position of the volume knob then the sound will be different sounding in many ways. You'll need to turn the volume up on the MKII to get the same level of loudness as on the MKI.

sabrehagen
15-10-2013, 23:03
The MKII is different in sound on the headphone side of things. The primary improvements as far as headphone users are concerned, have been aimed at reducing the overall gain, improving dynamic range and headroom, and swapping the volume control from a linear to a log type. So if you are comparing signal levels based on the position of the volume knob then the sound will be different sounding in many ways. You'll need to turn the volume up on the MKII to get the same level of loudness as on the MKI.

As usual, Stan is onto it in less than 15 mins! I detected the logarithmic scale when using the knob the first time. It's a rather unusual feeling on first use. I am comparing with equal volumes, not just the same physical position of the knob.

StanleyB
15-10-2013, 23:05
What are the headphones that you are using?

sabrehagen
16-10-2013, 00:03
I'm using Shure 840s as my primary listening pair, as well as a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s 250ohm as a secondary pair.

John
16-10-2013, 04:58
If you can go battery powered that might help

StanleyB
16-10-2013, 05:19
The difference in headphone presentation was aptly described by Steven in post #86. The better signal to noise produces a greater depth, whilst the signal outputs from my previous headphone amplifier circuits was a bit thick in sound. Jackson appears to prefer the old presentation. Maybe I should add a switch so that users can select between a dynamic or compressed headphone output.

sabrehagen
17-10-2013, 06:40
I would certainly like to hear the new DAC through the old headphone amp. I have to use an external amp to get an even playing field, but haven't found one that produces a sound as rich as the original BM yet. Nothing has quite the body. I feel that that body translates to richness when I listen.

StanleyB
17-10-2013, 08:52
I would certainly like to hear the new DAC through the old headphone amp.
If you have soldering skills and a soldering iron, then email me and I shall show you what to do.

magiccarpetride
17-10-2013, 20:39

Apologies if this has already been discussed (didn't have the time to read all the BM MKII related discussions), but has anyone here tried BM MKII with fully modded Squeezebox Touch (by 'fully modded' I mean EDO mods plus Klaus's TT 3.0)? I have somehow (through a lot of trial-and-error) managed to achieve stunning performance with such modded SBT into BM MKI, and am wondering if further improvements are possible on MKII?

I'm in particular keen on comparing various digital formats (I think I'm hearing improvements in the Beatles remasters from 16 bit to 24 bit, etc.) Would be really nice if the reportedly significantly lowered noise floor in BM MKII can further reveal those differences.

John
18-10-2013, 04:47
I think their are quite a few people reported they prefer the MK2 so should take things even further

StanleyB
18-10-2013, 06:08
I'm in particular keen on comparing various digital formats (I think I'm hearing improvements in the Beatles remasters from 16 bit to 24 bit, etc.) Would be really nice if the reportedly significantly lowered noise floor in BM MKII can further reveal those differences.
Whilst I was developing the MKII I frequently asked on the forum in a casual way if anyone could hear or detect certain details or differences with their existing DAC irrespective of what make or model it was. I used the replies to compare the performance I was getting from the proto type of the MKII against what the conventional wisdom was. One of my question was about perceived differences between 16 and 24 bit recordings.

You would have to tear up your reference book of superlatives and come up with new ones for the BM MKII. I have current owners of the MKII emailing me on a regular basis just to tell me about their latest discovery on this or that piece of music they thought they knew so well.

If you take into account that your hearing decreases as you get older, then to hear even more detail in the same track from the same CD in your decades old collection is more than enough of a reference as to the sonic abilities of the MKII.

Freeman
18-10-2013, 07:01
If you take into account that your hearing decreases as you get older, then to hear even more detail in the same track from the same CD in your decades old collection is more than enough of a reference as to the sonic abilities of the MKII.

Never having used (or heard) an external DAC I guess there's no point in me asking if I'm going to see a huge improvement when I add a BM MKII to my Sonos connect :eyebrows:

Stan, could you give us an update on availability?

Thanks

Mark

StanleyB
18-10-2013, 07:17
FEDEX has sent me a notice to say that I should have the goods in the UK next weekend (27th of October). Once it has cleared Customs I should be able to start sending out orders from the 29th.
So I shall start sending out money requests next week to those on the waiting list.

magiccarpetride
18-10-2013, 18:25
Whilst I was developing the MKII I frequently asked on the forum in a casual way if anyone could hear or detect certain details or differences with their existing DAC irrespective of what make or model it was. I used the replies to compare the performance I was getting from the proto type of the MKII against what the conventional wisdom was. One of my question was about perceived differences between 16 and 24 bit recordings.

You would have to tear up your reference book of superlatives and come up with new ones for the BM MKII. I have current owners of the MKII emailing me on a regular basis just to tell me about their latest discovery on this or that piece of music they thought they knew so well.

I may be accused of advocating/practising voodoo, but I tend to prefer 24 bit format to the 16 bit. Somehow, music encoded in 24 bit seems to carry more gravitas for me. Can't wait to hear what will BM MKII reveal to me regarding the perceived (or imaginary) differences between these two formats.

CSM
18-10-2013, 22:57
FEDEX has sent me a notice to say that I should have the goods in the UK next weekend (27th of October). Once it has cleared Customs I should be able to start sending out orders from the 29th.
So I shall start sending out money requests next week to those on the waiting list.

Great stuff Stan (!). Patiently waiting for arrival of new stock.

Werner Berghofer
19-10-2013, 08:28
I tend to prefer 24 bit format to the 16 bit

With or without the rose quartz crystals placed on top of the DAC?

sabrehagen
20-10-2013, 00:40
The difference in headphone presentation was aptly described by Steven in post #86. The better signal to noise produces a greater depth, whilst the signal outputs from my previous headphone amplifier circuits was a bit thick in sound. Jackson appears to prefer the old presentation. Maybe I should add a switch so that users can select between a dynamic or compressed headphone output.

Excuse my terminology, but are you saying that the new amp should have a deeper sound stage by having a less saturated output? That is, by having a less compressed output, you are able to get a greater dynamic range?

magiccarpetride
21-10-2013, 18:04
With or without the rose quartz crystals placed on top of the DAC?

Both with and without at the same time.

coolblue
22-10-2013, 13:18
I bought the new Bushmaster Mk.II to replace my cambridge audio dac magic. I am really happy with the results. I use BM through M2Tech Hiface 2 connected to my computer with Audioquest coaxcial cable VDM-3. I listen flac musics . I also have Akg q/k701 and Hifiman He-5 headphone with Hifiman Ef-5 headphone amplifier.

Before I listen beresford caiman gatorized. And when I saw the new model arrived I decided to try. I get more natural and detailed sound with BM. But I have some concerns about the headphone amplifier part. It is not as detailed as my hifiman EF-5 amplifier. But of course it is not a fair comparison as I am using ef-5 with a special power cable instead of stock one. I am planning to buy 12Volt battery pack for my BM, so maybe I can get better results with the headphones. Or do I need venom upgrade ?

Werner Berghofer
22-10-2013, 13:37
Yigit,

I guess our demands on headphone playback quality are different, and speaking from my very subjective point of view I suggest to use a dedicated, stand-alone headphone amplifier. I’m very familiar with the Beresford Caiman and the AKG K701 headphones, but I’ve not yet heard a Bushmaster. Let the Bushmaster do its job as a DAC, and connect it to a true headphone amplifier or an intregrated amplifier with a good performance on the headphone jack. Everything else will keep you unhappy in the long run.

Werner.

coolblue
22-10-2013, 14:00
Thank you Werner ,

I have tried Beresford Caiman with my headphones but Bushmaster is really different. Bushmaster drives both headphones better than caiman. But of course as you said stand alone headphone amplifier has better results. My question is if I buy battery pack and/or venom upgrade, will it make any difference for the headphone output. Maybe more detail?

For the dac part.. I am really happy. And Thanks to Stan that he answered all my questions during and after my order.

StanleyB
22-10-2013, 14:31
My question is if I buy battery pack and/or venom upgrade, will it make any difference for the headphone output. Maybe more detail?
You could get a warmer sound with a valve headphone amp. But as for more detail: I wonder if it is possible to hear more detail than the headphone amp in the BM2 can produce. If you have a BM2 then the Venom upgrade is already fitted as standard.
Some external headamps would also play far louder, but most BM2 owners who use headphones agree that it is loud enough even with 300 Ohms headphones.
Comparing the headphone amp in the BM2 with that of the TC-7520 or even the BM1 is a big mistake. They bear no resemblance whatsoever to each other, and you don't need a blind test to confirm that.

coolblue
22-10-2013, 15:16
Thank you Stan ,

I have BM2 and its loud enough for me, I'm happy with that .

I will definetly buy a battery pack then I can write the differences.

for the upgrade I mean Venom3. How different than the one in BM2.
Or any other higher output modification like you did to use with HD800 ?

thanks.

StanleyB
22-10-2013, 15:28
I'll worry about mods for the HD800 when it starts to snow outside. Far too early to say if I got the HD800 mods right or not. But the D7000 beats the HD800 hands down as far as detail is concerned.

magiccarpetride
22-10-2013, 16:32
Been listening to Bushmaster MK 2 for just over a hour now.
The biggest difference is just how much more bass I have it has a lot more punch and depth compared to my DAC. The sound is well balanced. Right now I am listening to the Black Messiah by the late Georg Duke it just has so much attack. The DAC knows how to dig deep that's for sure. The treble seems to have more detail too , when listening to Swing In The Round from the Album Still Strings the violin and guitars have more attack. Everything seems to stop and start a wee bit quicker giving this sense of accuracy. It rocks well too for example Tool 10000 Days Wings Part 2 just explodes

OK, my week is now completely ruined. Just received my order confirmation for BM MKII. So the unnerving waiting game begins... I just can't focus on anything else right now, feeling like a little kid awaiting Christmas presents! Must hear for myself how can this DAC possibly improve on the incredible fidelity of BM MKI? I hope it arrives sooner than I'm realistically expecting it.

John
22-10-2013, 16:48
It gets better as it burns in! But burn in is very painless

wee tee cee
22-10-2013, 17:43
The headphone settles down to something quite special after a couple of hundred hours....HD650s never sounded as good even in conjunction with dedicated head amps (MF M1 HPA/Epiphany). If you crave a specific colouration best look elsewhere....transparent window to the music-warts and all.

Werner Berghofer
22-10-2013, 17:47
Stan,

Some external headamps would also play far louder […]

I’m not sure if being able to play “loud” is a headphone amplifier’s quality criterion. In my opinion it’s much more important to sound “powerful”, but this does not automatically translate to a higher sound pressure level. Powerful, muscular music representation is very important when using high-end dynamic headphones with an impedance of 600 Ω, orthodynamic or electrostatic models. More power does not mean louder reproduction.

Werner.

StanleyB
22-10-2013, 18:28
Stan,

I’m not sure if being able to play “loud” is a headphone amplifier’s quality criterion. In my opinion it’s much more important to sound “powerful”, but this does not automatically translate to a higher sound pressure level. Powerful, muscular music representation is very important when using high-end dynamic headphones with an impedance of 600 Ω, orthodynamic or electrostatic models. More power does not mean louder reproduction.

Werner.
I have a couple of customers who ask for output levels that are quite high in Vrms. That means loud. The BM can only put out up to 4Vrms max. But there are headphone amps out there that can manage as much as 15Vrms. Obviously those high voltages would be more suitable for 600 Ohms, but it is a question I get asked in emails exchange.
Those voltage levels are not related to power. They tend to have very little current. Headphones are after all voltage dependent devices, unlike speakers, which are measured in power handling ability.

wee tee cee
23-10-2013, 21:42
had a very enjoyable couple of hours at a fellow BM MK2 owners place. All we did was swap in a battery pack (camcorder battery Stan recommended for the MK1) and a bike battery with leads Stan supplied me with. Very well resolved system with sorted mains and dedicated linear supplies. The BM really jumps a notch on battery power.

brian2957
23-10-2013, 21:55
Aye , an outstanding DAC made to sound even more outstanding by plugging it into a 12v battery . Well pleased with what I heard tonight Tony . I have a decision to make :scratch: 12v battery pack or 12v car battery . Both sounded excellent and now it's just down to which I preferred .

StanleyB
24-10-2013, 05:46
I have a decision to make :scratch: 12v battery pack or 12v car battery . Both sounded excellent and now it's just down to which I preferred .
Who would have imagined that one day we would be discussing battery rolling?

wee tee cee
24-10-2013, 06:25
Aye,,,,NOS Lucas.

synsei
24-10-2013, 08:24
Who would have imagined that one day we would be discussing battery rolling?

Tried that once with the battery out of my old Zafira, it got a bit messy... :lol:

wee tee cee
24-10-2013, 14:52
Plumbed in a big car battery this afternoon.....another incremental improvement.

StanleyB
24-10-2013, 15:07
Plumbed in a big car battery this afternoon.....another incremental improvement.
If you keep it up at this rate you'll be plumbing in a lorry battery very soon.

wee tee cee
24-10-2013, 15:56
Stan,
The BM just keeps upping the game in terms of resolution and just sheer musicality. The wee session last night was very informative hearing the DAC getting fed from a top notch digital server. Im feeding my statics today and in all honesty Im hearing stuff on tracks I know backwards that I didn't know was there. Remarkable bit of kit.

StanleyB
24-10-2013, 16:11
The wee session last night was very informative hearing the DAC getting fed from a top notch digital server.
Which server is that Tony?

wee tee cee
24-10-2013, 16:24
One Gary (Gazjam) built for Brian. Gary designed and built the MCRU server that received a 5 star mag review. He was present last night and was as impressed as Brian. Quite a step up from my lap top/vlink/usb set up. I suppose it would be my next logical step upgrade wise...still trying to get my head round the recent upgrades sonically.

ukemaxxer
26-10-2013, 13:42
Does anyone know of a portable DAP with coaxial or optical digital out for the purposing of connecting to the Bushmaster? Someone mentioned me about the Fiio X3, any experience with this? Want to make the move to DAC but kind stuck at the moment, source wise.

Look out on the auction site of choice, for a second hand iRiver H140. Shame they stopped doing the HDD players. Has both optical in and out. I won't part with mine for anything.

wee tee cee
26-10-2013, 16:15
mmmm....Lithium Ion bike batteries on e bay- more charging cycles/quick recharging with a normal charger/same size case as the standard battery.
A bit salty price wise but could use it while Im not riding to power some hi fi....majik!

reddave
26-10-2013, 16:40
I have a couple of customers who ask for output levels that are quite high in Vrms. That means loud. The BM can only put out up to 4Vrms max. But there are headphone amps out there that can manage as much as 15Vrms. Obviously those high voltages would be more suitable for 600 Ohms, but it is a question I get asked in emails exchange.
Those voltage levels are not related to power. They tend to have very little current. Headphones are after all voltage dependent devices, unlike speakers, which are measured in power handling ability.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but if the headphone amp can output 4Vrms, can it drive a pair of active speakers (Adam A7X's to be specific)

MartinT
26-10-2013, 17:16
You don't need the headphone outputs to drive active speakers, the line level outputs are more appropriate.

reddave
26-10-2013, 21:00
True. But I also want to run a BK xxls400 from it too. The idea is to start with a Clevo W230T laptop, into TC7533, out to adams and a xxls400. Set up the sub through the line outputs and leave it at a fixed point, whilst allowing the adams to be changed from the headphones. Or the adams fixed and sub through headphones, which ever sounds best, to me.

HighFidelityGuy
26-10-2013, 22:25
That really won't work I'm afraid. The line out on the TC-7533 is fixed level so you'd only get a balanced sound at one specific volume level and headphone outputs aren't designed to drive a line level input, so you could cause damage. You could get round this by splitting the line output to your speakers and sub and then using the level control on each of them independently but it would be a constant battle to get a balanced sound every time you changed the volume. The way I would get this working is to put a passive attenuator between the line out on the 7533 and your speakers and sub. You should be able to find one with dual outputs for reasonable money. If you're handy with a soldering iron then you could make one yourself or I could be persuaded to knock one together for you. I would have thought a decent quality one could be build for £50 or less providing you only needed a single input. :)

bigmarty
28-10-2013, 16:19
Hi Folks,

Received my eagerly awaited Bushmaster MK11 dac from Stan on Saturday and changed it over straight away with the MK1 and played some tunes right away without any warm up time and wow wee straight out the box I could hear more detail, better separation of instruments, most notable were a couple of songs that I could actually hear the backing singers that I had never heard before, and I know this is only going to get better with time :). Another big bonus was the new look silver facia with the new printed decals that Werner designed and I love the new toggle main switch, fantastic quality and price. well done Stan for another great product. :D

Hear is a pic of Stans new Bushmaster MK11 in my system.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/martinattullymet/IMG_1202_4.jpg (http://s208.photobucket.com/user/martinattullymet/media/IMG_1202_4.jpg.html)

:stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks::s talks::stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks::sta lks:

icehockeyboy
28-10-2013, 17:01
Hi Folks,

Received my eagerly awaited Bushmaster MK11 dac from Stan on Saturday and changed it over straight away with the MK1 and played some tunes right away without any warm up time and wow wee straight out the box I could hear more detail, better separation of instruments, most notable were a couple of songs that I could actually hear the backing singers that I had never heard before, and I know this is only going to get better with time :). Another big bonus was the new look silver facia with the new printed decals that Werner designed and I love the new toggle main switch, fantastic quality and price. well done Stan for another great product. :D

Hear is a pic of Stans new Bushmaster MK11 in my system.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/martinattullymet/IMG_1202_4.jpg (http://s208.photobucket.com/user/martinattullymet/media/IMG_1202_4.jpg.html)

:stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks::s talks::stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks::stalks::sta lks:

Welcome to the club! :)

StanleyB
28-10-2013, 17:14
most notable were a couple of songs that I could actually hear the backing singers that I had never heard before,
This is the kind of low level audio detail that some people spend a fortune on to get out of other DACs.

HighFidelityGuy
29-10-2013, 20:40
My MkII arrived today. I've only had chance to listen to a couple of tracks so far but I could tell straight away that I was getting a different tonal balance than with my MkI. The first difference I noticed was an increase in authority and weight to the sound. This seems to be due to the bass having more energy but at the same time being better integrated into the overall sound. I currently run a pair of subs in stereo to give me a 4 way setup and I have sometimes struggled to get the subs integrated properly. Somehow the Mk II seems to be helping with that which is an unexpected bonus. I can't really comment on low level detail yet as I haven't done enough listening yet but so far I don't seem to have lost anything I had before, so that's good. I'll comment more once I've done some more listening. So far so good. :)

Canetoad
30-10-2013, 07:42
Yes, my Mk2 definitely sounds more dynamic than the Mk1. Music seems to have more impact. No doubt this is partially due to the lower noise floor. Bass is deep and tight and there seems to be more delineation between instruments. Since I've also replaced my power amp with a Croft series 7 recently, some of the change could be due to that as well. Overall, my system is now sounding very good indeed. :)

magiccarpetride
30-10-2013, 16:34
Bushmaster MKII arrived yesterday. I gathered my wife and three music loving buddies of ours for an impromptu audition session.

I used to think that my system had asymptotically approached the perfection in sound reproduction. This was solidified last year when I acquired Stan's Bushmaster MKI and, combined with the EDO upgrades to my Squeezebox Touch, plus some home brewed tweaking with buffers and job priorities, brought the music reproduction to unprecedented heights. Many of my friends who are music enthusiasts (some of them pro musicians and sound engineers) agreed that they've never heard a better sounding system. That's why I was very sceptical that BM MKII could make any notable improvements in my audio chain.

Boy, was I wrong! I was actually never this wrong before. It is difficult, pretty much impossible to put into words the shock we all experienced yesterday when we plugged this DAC in and let the music flow...

Everything sounds radically different now. My first knee-jerk impression could be put into a single word -- cleanliness. It's as if someone had thoroughly washed the soundstage, washed all the instruments, and gave a kick-ass makeover to all the vocalists. Now you can see, very clearly, what in the heck is actually going on while they're performing. I used to think I see it all clearly, but I was just kidding myself. Or, as my wife remarked after only a first few moments into listening, this is like putting reading glasses on for the first time. You used to think your eyesight is still perfect, but lo and behold, put the glasses on and wow!

Another thing noticeable right off the bat is the insanely crisp separation of instruments/vocals. I've never experienced this clarity before. It is, to use a very over-used expression, a game changer indeed.

And yes, Stan's claim that now we'll start hearing whole bunch of details never heard before is true. But more importantly (to me), everything sounds much more musical. Especially the bass, which is way more muscular and dynamic than before, while sounding much cleaner.

Let's not forget the improvements in dynamics. On Pink Floyd's "Money", when the guitar solo goes into crescendo, the band really gets MUCH louder while at the same time retaining the composure, crispness, clarity, effortlessness. Remarkable, and it contributes so much more to the listening enjoyment.

All these impressions are straight out of the box, no burn-in. I'm not sure if this DAC will require any burn-in, given how Stan explained that he aimed to get as close as possible to the straight wire. In which case, what's to burn-in? Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe there are more improvements to be had. I left the DAC on constant burn-in, to see if anything may change with the passage of time.

Before signing off, I'd like to thank Stan for making me and those around me so happy and excited to listen to music.

P.S. Another very interesting thing I've noticed is that now those horrible brick-walled modern recordings sound less harsh, less out of control. I used to cringe whenever the 'loudness war' material starts playing, but yesterday I was able to sit through some of the worst offenders without grimacing and convulsing in my chair. If that indeed is the case, hallelujah!

wee tee cee
30-10-2013, 16:56
MCR,
Glad you are hearing what other owners are experiencing. The BM2 will improve with more hours under its belt-quite a few of us have adopted battery power which raises the bar even higher.....enjoy yer tunes!

magiccarpetride
30-10-2013, 18:10
MCR,
Glad you are hearing what other owners are experiencing. The BM2 will improve with more hours under its belt-quite a few of us have adopted battery power which raises the bar even higher.....enjoy yer tunes!

Which battery would you recommend, Tony?

wee tee cee
30-10-2013, 18:27
good thread on strokes of genius.....a few of us have came off the mains to good effect!

orbscure
30-10-2013, 18:50
I was going to ask the same question... here is a direct link to the thread suggested by Tony:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?28262-Battery-powered-t-amps

My BM2 arrived today and the results its producing (in place of my Music Fidelity V90-DAC) are stunning! Ordered a Musical Fidelity V-Link II to enable USB connection and can't wait to hear what 24/96 files sound like through this baby :)

Pete

Werner Berghofer
30-10-2013, 19:33
Magic,

It is difficult, pretty much impossible to put into words the shock we all experienced yesterday when we plugged this DAC in and let the music flow...

I strongly recommend collecting all your written glorifications of the various Beresford DACs which have been added to your audio playback system during the last few years, not even mentioning the mystical experiences while going through the different phases caused by burn-in. Guess this would make a great reading when published as a book :-)

magiccarpetride
30-10-2013, 20:04
Magic,

I strongly recommend collecting all your written glorifications of the various Beresford DACs which have been added to your audio playback system during the last few years, not even mentioning the mystical experiences while going through the different phases caused by burn-in. Guess this would make a great reading when published as a book :-)

Will you help me design the book cover?

bigmarty
30-10-2013, 20:20
Which battery would you recommend, Tony?

This is one Stan started.........

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?28325-High-End-battery-solution-for-the-TC-7533-Bushmaster-MKII

All the best

magiccarpetride
30-10-2013, 21:39
This is one Stan started.........

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?28325-High-End-battery-solution-for-the-TC-7533-Bushmaster-MKII

All the best

Thanks Marty. Anyone else tried that one?