PDA

View Full Version : What to do

ledzep
10-09-2013, 17:44
Ok im currently using ruark talisman lls with my quad 303 but just been offered a pair of b&w dm4's very cheap only problem i cant get to listen to them would it be worth me buying them 'blind'? Has anyone any experience withe b&w's and would they be a good match for my quads? How do they compare to my Ruarks?Cheers

istari_knight
10-09-2013, 18:09
Bit of a classic combo... I found the DM4's to be a little bass light but overall preferred them to the DM2's. Check the bass driver surrounds aren't sagging, if they're in good cosmetic condition & less than £75 go for it.

ledzep
10-09-2013, 18:22
they have the black surrounds if that makes any difference

istari_knight
10-09-2013, 20:07
they have the black surrounds if that makes any difference

I think thats a good thing... but cant quite remember ! I think the original white surrounds either sagged or shrunk - One of those, either way its bad news...

Arkless Electronics
12-09-2013, 11:21
I think thats a good thing... but cant quite remember ! I think the original white surrounds either sagged or shrunk - One of those, either way its bad news...

They tended to develop cracks in the surround....
Good speaker.... as you say a bit bass light but the bass is of good quality and they have excellent mid and top.

The 303 can easily be improved upon BTW...

istari_knight
12-09-2013, 11:43
They tended to develop cracks in the surround....
Good speaker.... as you say a bit bass light but the bass is of good quality and they have excellent mid and top.

The 303 can easily be improved upon BTW...

Thats the one ta ! :thumbsup:

... As for improving the 303 I agree nice but not 'high fidelity'] but lots of people like the sound... I don't know for sure but am guessing its due to the cap coupled output design ? The Marantz 1060 also has cap coupled outputs & it sounds very similar to the 303 and is becoming something of a cult classic lauded for its "valve like sound" :lol:

Arkless Electronics
12-09-2013, 12:09
Thats the one ta ! :thumbsup:

... As for improving the 303 I agree nice but not 'high fidelity'] but lots of people like the sound... I don't know for sure but am guessing its due to the cap coupled output design ? The Marantz 1060 also has cap coupled outputs & it sounds very similar to the 303 and is becoming something of a cult classic lauded for its "valve like sound" :lol:

It's partly due to the cap coupled output but there is a lot more to it than that.... They are still a fairly decent amp and were ground braking when they first came out, it's just there are now vast numbers of superior amps available for similar money. It's a great, usable, everyday classic though.

ledzep
13-09-2013, 07:33
It's partly due to the cap coupled output but there is a lot more to it than that.... They are still a fairly decent amp and were ground braking when they first came out, it's just there are now vast numbers of superior amps available for similar money. It's a great, usable, everyday classic though.

So what amps would you say are superior for the similar amount of money but British make only not Japanese? And what would you say the difference is between 'high fidelity' and sounding nice? I thought that's what it was all about finding something that sounds nice to our ears and our own individual taste.

Arkless Electronics
13-09-2013, 11:00
So what amps would you say are superior for the similar amount of money but British make only not Japanese? And what would you say the difference is between 'high fidelity' and sounding nice? I thought that's what it was all about finding something that sounds nice to our ears and our own individual taste.

Quad 405 for a start! They actually sound very good with just a few simple mods to them.... Then there are several UK made amps from the 80's that are now largely forgotten about , such as the old Cambridge Audio power amps (Stan Curtis days), Moth amps etc. If Jap then the Rotel RB850 etc

Whether an amp should sound "nice" or accurate is a whole other kettle of fish..... I go for accurate personally as that's surely the raison d'etre of High Fidelity!
Accurate should sound best as well provided the rest of the equipment is up to the job...including the room and the recording!
If "nice" is wanted then why not just buy a graphic equaliser and muck about till it sounds best to you :doh:

The Outcast
17-09-2013, 19:37
Long term, the Talisman's are a far more musical device and i would council you don't do anything hasty. Especially with regard to changing them for a pair of B&W's.

Spectral Morn
17-09-2013, 19:57
Ruarks make music in my opinion. :)

B&Ws in my opinion make HiFi :(

Regards Neil

Rare Bird
17-09-2013, 20:07
Only ever had one pair of Ruark but ive had all the Diesis loudspeaker models, now they were musical speakerz..