PDA

View Full Version : Krell KSA 200 for sale. Complete nut and bolt rebuild...

sq225917
07-09-2013, 17:16
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3720/9382793743_82caf07d39_c.jpg
You've seen the thread, you know the work that went into this rebuild. But just in case you missed it in the DIY section, here's the link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59684834@N08/sets/72157634946321928/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59684834@N08/sets/72157634946321928/)

This is a Krell KSA 200, Class A, solid state amp from Krell, built back when Krell stood for something real and was a byword for battleship build quality. This unit has been completely serviced, re-capped and benefits from a nut and bolt strip down. Here's the list of what has been done.

The unit was serviced with two output transistors and one driver stage transistor being replaced.
All parts of the output stage, driver boards and main pcb's were checked and trimmed against the original service manual specs.
The amp was then completely stripped down to the bare boards and chassis parts.
Every chassis part was cleaned, stripped and or refinished/resprayed where required.
All metal fasteners and fixings were either replaced with new metric equivalents, brass psu cap mounts, ballast resistor fittings or stripped and refinished, Imperial spec fittings, pcb mounts etc.
Every electrical contact was opened, cleaned and deoxed.
The large 24v relays were all opened, stripped, rinsed with iso, dried and then rebuilt and tested.
Every PCB was defluxed, rinsed and polished, there's not a trace that any of the pcb's are anything other than brand new parts.
All 24 of 100v electrolytic capacitors on the main boards were replaced with new 105 degree, DIN rated parts. (Were gold now blue)
All small signal and protection board electrolytic capacitors were replaced with modern equivalents with 105 degree or higher temperature rating.
All tired looking solder joints were re-flowed with new leaded solder.
The 6 main psu caps were replaced with brand new Kendeil 47,000uf 105 degree rated parts, these 6 caps cost £70 each.
All psu cap wiring was replaced with new cold crimped 4mm wire and lug fixings.
The main PSU diode bridges were replaced with new Vishay diodes to the original specifications.
All signal path wiring for the main pcb's to the output panel were replaced with new shielded wires.
The main transformer was treated to new rubber mounting washers.
Then it was all rebuilt incredibly carefully, ensuring that the placement of every part of the wiring loom for all the pcbs and parts matched the original spec precisely.
Since then it's been run in for a few days and sounds simply superb.

Long story short, this has been completely rebuilt, with every ageing component having been replaced with new parts of matching or better than original specification. I can guarantee that it is at least as good as the day it was born and should provide the lucky new owner with another 20 years of sterling service.

Obviously there's over £600 worth of new parts and consumables in this Krell KSA 200 and over 105 hours of build time have been lavished upon it. What price perfection? £2100, and I'll even deliver it within reason FOC, (North of London and South of Glasgow).

If you'd like to listen to it, then that can most definitely be arranged, weekdays or weekends in Sheffield. In fact, I think an amp of this quality demands an audition. A few interested parties have already asked to demo it so any offers to buy will be be considered in the order they were made.

Any questions please ask, the Flickr pictures are commented, you will find answers to most any question already on the images.

YNWaN
07-09-2013, 18:15
Erm - I'm actually quite tempted - this is a remarkable amp and really beautifully rebuilt!

YNWaN
07-09-2013, 18:16
In fact, will be having a private word...

istari_knight
07-09-2013, 18:58
Lovely, just... lovely :drool:

Best of luck with the sale, though I doubt you'll need it !

sq225917
07-09-2013, 19:20
To be honest I think it's a good few weeks before the amp buying season starts in earnest, tends to be October that people start looking, but what the hell.

brian2957
07-09-2013, 20:23
It's not often an amp comes with a full rebuild history of its very own Simon . I watched your posts on this with great interest . Beautiful job mate . Good luck with the sale.

Thing Fish
07-09-2013, 20:39
Beautiful...:eek:

Looks like it was designed by the likes of HR Geiger.

DSJR
07-09-2013, 22:27
Related smaller KSA80's don't go for hugely less and this one's been lovingly restored now it's twenty or more years old.

This generation of Krells was the last for a fair while of the true greats from this manufacturer before they came good again with the FPB series, which despite depreciation, start at nigh-on double this price asked. It'll drive anything from 'nearly' a short circuit upwards and will be totally unflappable while doing this. Only the heat and consumption dates it, as later models had a sort-of floating bias situation.

For the right owner, this amp should be something of a bargain and I suspect the replacement caps may live longer than the originals too...

sq225917
08-09-2013, 11:22
I've been watching unserviced 50's and 80's go for 1400-1500 so this seemed like a very fair price for the bigger amp with a full service and £500+ of parts under its belt.

DSJR
08-09-2013, 11:42
I loved the 80 and 80B, but just don't have this kind of money now. Hope Mark can be persuaded to get it and replace those old low powered quasi complimentary PA amps of his ;)

MikeMusic
08-09-2013, 13:33
I'm puzzled
Why did you spend so much time on it, to sell it ?
I don't think I could let something go I'd spent so much time on
Does is take balanced input from the Pre amp ?

sq225917
08-09-2013, 15:38
Mike the truth is that I bought it with the intent of doing it up. I like to build stuff, rebuilding a classic seemed like a worthwhile challenge.

Yes it accepts balanced and single ended inputs.

sq225917
08-09-2013, 16:50
Currently on hold for an AOS-er checking his tax return... ;-)

Barry
09-09-2013, 01:48
Mike the truth is that I bought it with the intent of doing it up. I like to build stuff, rebuilding a classic seemed like a worthwhile challenge.

Yes it accepts balanced and single ended inputs.

I think you are charging a very reasonable price, considering all the work you have put into the restoration and of the quality of the original product. I would be interested in buying it myself, were it not for my complete satisfaction with the Mark Levinson monoblock power amplifiers I use. (Which incidentally, offer balanced-line input; the only way to go IMO.)

Good luck with the sale: you won't have too much trouble finding a buyer!

MartinT
09-09-2013, 05:41
Ditto; were I not very happy with my Chord I would bite your hand off for it!

MartinT
09-09-2013, 05:42
Which incidentally, offer balanced-line input; the only way to go IMO.

Completely agree, Barry. Once you sample fully balanced connection - provided the equipment is designed fully balanced internally - then there is no going back to single-ended.

sq225917
10-09-2013, 14:14
I had a listen this afternoon in balanced from my Mdac and it is significantly lower in noise than via the RCA input.

sq225917
11-09-2013, 19:06
Available once again, the taxman was the bearer of bad news for the AOS'er with first refusal.

sq225917
19-09-2013, 16:04
Just the ticket as those cold nights begin to draw in...

sq225917
25-09-2013, 16:57
Currently up on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Krell-KSA-200-fully-balanced-Class-A-power-amp-Completely-rebuilt-/321215376184

Arkless Electronics
25-09-2013, 17:06
Currently up on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Krell-KSA-200-fully-balanced-Class-A-power-amp-Completely-rebuilt-/321215376184

I'm amazed it hasn't already sold... a bargain at that price!

sq225917
25-09-2013, 20:40
Plenty of interest, gotta phone a guy tonight about it.

MartinT
25-09-2013, 21:25
Good luck with the sale, Simon, someone is going to be a lucky chappy.

sq225917
26-09-2013, 22:43
One in Devon, one in Northern Island, all i need is a buyer at the end of my street.

Coincidentally it looks like Dave Cawley is having a snipe at me in his KSA 100 sale on ebay. Bless him, i do like a trier. His amp apparently has the original dust in it. That's nice, it also has the original 23 year old PSU caps in it. 23 years old, even if ponl ever used for one hour a day- they are already at more than 120% of their rated lifespan- nice to see how he's trying to spin that out. ;-)

Arkless Electronics
26-09-2013, 23:29
One in Devon, one in Northern Island, all i need is a buyer at the end of my street.

Coincidentally it looks like Dave Cawley is having a snipe at me in his KSA 100 sale on ebay. Bless him, i do like a trier. His amp apparently has the original dust in it. That's nice, it also has the original 23 year old PSU caps in it. 23 years old, even if ponl ever used for one hour a day- they are already at more than 120% of their rated lifespan- nice to see how he's trying to spin that out. ;-)

Checked it out... It does appear that way! Sad.

stupinder
27-09-2013, 10:43
Enjoyed the rebuild thread immensely - brilliant. Best of luck with the sale, Simon!

Marco
27-09-2013, 10:45

Just ignore the old balloon. He's an grossly overrated insignificance.

Marco.

realysm42
27-09-2013, 11:19
I can't access ebay at work, did you link the rebuild thread to the sale, so people know the love gone into it!

Who's David Price?

Arkless Electronics
27-09-2013, 11:35
You couldn't make this up..... This Dave Cawley, who incidentally I have never heard of, just rang me up to have a go at me for saying it was sad that he was seemingly trying to spoil Si's sale of his KSA200! I put the phone down when I knew who he was and why he was ringing... What an arsehole! There ya go dave :ner:

Marco
27-09-2013, 11:46
Lol... You were 'honoured'! :eyebrows:

Linky please, chaps, to these ebay shenanigans, so I can have a good giggle-ette?

Marco.

istari_knight
27-09-2013, 11:48
:lol: What a mug... The listing's been pulled but for your enjoyment here it is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Krell-KSA-100-100-Watt-fully-Class-A-amplifier-the-original-and-the-best-/261295591656?nma=true&si=EmIkujeEZPVxF3a0RYtdS8AcaVw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Arkless Electronics
27-09-2013, 12:32
This guy really is a tosser! emails with veiled threats (cc'ed to his solicitor) and showing me that he knows where I live now!
You know where to shove it dave.

sq225917
27-09-2013, 13:27
Seriously, that's hilarious.

Here's my advert, with my edits still in as repost to his insinuations.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321215376184?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Shame he removed his ad, that was comedy. Some people just don't seem to know the value of selling what they have rather than trying to run their competition down.

Arkless Electronics
27-09-2013, 13:44
Seriously, that's hilarious.

Here's my advert, with my edits still in as repost to his insinuations.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321215376184?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Shame he removed his ad, that was comedy. Some people just don't seem to know the value of selling what they have rather than trying to run their competition down.

Indeed. I've just had another email telling me to expect to hear from his solicitor! I've pointed out that he is just showing himself to be a petty minded, litigious little prick and that all his threats will be reported here. And to think that I'd never heard of him until he rang me up for an argument!! And you wanted to avoid bad publicity Dave? When you're in a hole, stop digging.
Why don't you come on here and argue with me in public Dave rather than sending threatening emails? go on go on go on go on

DSJR
27-09-2013, 14:41
He can't!

sq225917
27-09-2013, 14:48
What is he even threatening you with Jez? Because you said something 'appears to be'. he's fuc_in idiot.

I'd put good money that the address he cc'd to isn't even a real solicitors, look them on the law society website.

No need to worry Jez, Diane's uncle in a barrister he'll represent you FOC.

Arkless Electronics
27-09-2013, 15:48
What is he even threatening you with Jez? Because you said something 'appears to be'. he's fuc_in idiot.

I'd put good money that the address he cc'd to isn't even a real solicitors, look them on the law society website.

No need to worry Jez, Diane's uncle in a barrister he'll represent you FOC.

Oh I ain't worried Si. He's already shot himself in both feet with both barrels by starting the argument with me in the first place if his intention was to avoid negative publicity!
I even offered to say no more if he withdraws his threats and sends no further threatening emails but he wants to keep it going!
Yes it's cos I said something "appears to be"....
If it turns out to be any more than bluster then thanks for the offer of a friendly barrister but I don't think he's got a leg to stand on legally and has just made himself look an idiot. Anyway I'll continue to keep everyone informed of his hilarious antics so long as they continue and then we can all get the measure of the "man".

sq225917
28-09-2013, 07:27
Yes please keep us informed.

I wonder if his intention isn't just to do this hoping that someone says something that they shouldn't on AOS so that he can use it against Marco. If he thinks that's going to happen then he really is an absolute idiot never mind just acting like one.

It does make you wonder about vendors and whether they are trust worthy and worth your patronage when you see them acting is strange ways. I'd have to think twice about spending any money with anyone who acted in an aggressive fashion or who seemed to have a very weak hold on reality.

Marco
28-09-2013, 07:48
Yes please keep us informed.

I wonder if his intention isn't just to do this hoping that someone says something that they shouldn't on AOS so that he can use it against Marco.

Indeed; that would be silly and also futile. However, let's ensure that it doesn't happen by keeping things strictly factual, avoiding any unnecessary derogatory remarks. In that respect, please do keep us informed.

Marco.

sq225917
28-09-2013, 13:23
Absolutely Marco, you can rely on me to keep things on the correct side of the law. No point being the communications director for an multinational sporting goods brand if you don't know the difference between opinion and defamation.

There is one thing I was wondering about though. Text taken from Soundhifi site under fair use.

"Service your SP-10 MKII
Just like your car, the SP-10 will age and needs adjusting to keep running perfectly. We believe that at about 20 years old, no SP-10 that has not been properly serviced, is going to work anywhere near the manufacturer's specification. Imagine driving your car every day for 20 years, never changing the oil, never changing the tyres, never changing the spark plugs, you get the idea?"

Seeing as this is Dave's stated viewpoint on the importance of servicing a 20 year old piece of hifi to ensure it remains running perfectly- I can't help but wonder why he didn't feel the same about the Krell amp he was selling. The tone of his ebay listing did seem a little 'at odds' with this copy from his website. I wonder if he chops and changes his opinion like the wind just to support his chances of making a sale?

MikeMusic
28-09-2013, 14:05
I split the world roughly into 3 groups

1. Those that know

2. Those that don't know

3. Those that know but they are wrong

It is a matter of opinion where the above person belongs

Cuts nicely across the black and white, religious and political arguments

The above person is not Simon BTW

sq225917
28-09-2013, 15:34
I have a similar thing with liars.

1. There are some people who will never lie, no matter what.
2. There are some people who will only lie to protect someone.
3. then there are pieces of 5hit that will say anything to anyone at any time to get what they want.

I try to stick with the first two and am happy to expose the last group.

synsei
28-09-2013, 18:53
I wonder how Mr Cawley feels about the recent partnership between MCRU and Mike New, now that would be a very interesting thing to know, and that is the last I am going to say on the subject otherwise I can see myself getting into a spot of bother... :lol:

MCRU
28-09-2013, 19:39
I wonder how Mr Cawley feels about the recent partnership between MCRU and Mike New, now that would be a very interesting thing to know, and that is the last I am going to say on the subject otherwise I can see myself getting into a spot of bother... :lol:

why?

who gives a shit?

Marco
28-09-2013, 20:31
Is that you lowering the tone again, Clearaudio boy? :lol:

The 'lower orders' really shouldn't be allowed to sell it.

;)

Marco.

sq225917
28-09-2013, 21:31
I have to say, i'm more interested in Dave Cawley's duplicity that t'other David's savvy business moves.

Marco
29-09-2013, 07:08
Lol, yup... It was a private joke between David and me, which hopefully Dave Cauliflower will also have 'appreciated' :eyebrows:

Marco.

Joe
29-09-2013, 09:38
I though the rule was that discussion of banned members was forbidden, as they have no 'right of reply'?

icehockeyboy
29-09-2013, 09:49
Am I on the right thread here?

I could have sworn it was an ad for a Krell amp........? :scratch:

Tarzan
29-09-2013, 09:57
why?

who gives a shit?

:rfl: That is a world class retort Mr Brook:youtheman:

Tarzan
29-09-2013, 09:58
I though the rule was that discussion of banned members was forbidden, as they have no 'right of reply'?

x2:scratch:

Tarzan
29-09-2013, 10:01
Can we all play nicely now?:kiss: