PDA

View Full Version : Audio Origami - SME 3009 SII (None improved) - Superb service

The Black Adder
07-09-2013, 16:35
Hi all.

Just wanted to let you all know that yesterday I got back my SME 3009 SII (None improved) tonearm from Johnnie of Audio Origami.

I have to say that the service has been impeccable and the result sonically regarding the tonearm is really quite astounding.

I sent it for a full re-wire, bearing check, dashpot refil, de-coupling bushings, a new re-wired tone arm lead using the original plug and a check on the tone arm tube itself.

All in all when I got it back on the deck the first thing I noticed straight away was how well it balances out, it's just so precise and free. Sonically it's superb, the space it's now delivering is really something, mids, bass, highs, the works have improved dramatically.

The original tonearm wiring was getting on for 45 years old, so it's older than myself by a good few years and so now it's planted back on to the Thorens TD124 Mkii it's not only sounding super it looks superb.

So many thanks to Johnnie and his skilled service... Splendidly smashing!! :):):):):) 10/10 :):):):):)

MCRU
07-09-2013, 16:53
and, how much did it cost?

please?

The Black Adder
07-09-2013, 16:54
Sure, all in including post was £221 and included some VDH cartridge leads.

mjkelshaw
08-09-2013, 13:41
Earlier this year I also sent an SME 3009 Series 2 to Audio Origami for repair. It was one of a pair which I had purchased with the intention of using one on my TD124 -2.
When I had received this particular arm in the post, it was found to be suffering from what I thought might have been a terminal 'droop' between the the rear stub and the main arm. It looked to me as though it might be more serious than just a deteriorated rubber coupling.
I posted the arm off to John after he had reassured me that he would be able to 'fix it', and I have to say that when it arrived back, it looked 'brand new'. The coupling had been replaced, it had been re-wired and fitted with an SME 'phono' conversion for which John had supplied new leads, and he had also supplied new cartridge tags for 3 head shells which I had also sent to him.
I haven't had the time to unpack and set-up the TD 124 yet, but I'm really looking forward to hearing the results through the Quad 44 / 405-2 units which were refurbished by 'Amplabs' earlier this year. I did however listen to my Loricraft 401 which I had quickly unpacked and set up with the Rega 300 / Goldring 1042 which were originally supplied with it, and I am now eagerly waiting to compare the two turntable when I finally have the time.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

The Black Adder
08-09-2013, 19:37
Hi Mike.

Please let us know how the arm sounds on the TD124II. You have the same deck as me and I can assure you it sounds stunning.

The back coupling on mine was starting to sag, in fact I had to do a small repair with super glue on it but then the other side of the bushing started to then deteriorate. Johnnie also sent me the original lead set back and the wires are really stiff with age.

I had the original plug refitted on to a new lead as I didn't think I had enough room on the underside of the TD124 plinth, something to keep in mind with yours. But once the original plug is cleaned it's extremely good.

Rare Bird
08-09-2013, 19:57
You can buy those couplings

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SME-3009-3012-REPLACEMENT-ELASTIC-GROMMET-RUBBER-WASHER-KIT-GENUINE-SME-PART-NEW-/141035935280?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d6659630

The Black Adder
08-09-2013, 20:55
Yeah, although Johnnie fitted some so I didn't have to... lol, If I did I would have ended up with two tonearms, both no worky! lol

mjkelshaw
08-09-2013, 21:16
I did actually purchase a coupling from 'father' via 'e-pay', plus several other SME items - exemplary service.
However, although the 'stub' itself was loose on one of the arms, I couldn't remove the rubber coupling, or rather I was worried about using too much force on it. I also thought that as the arm wiring was probably 'past it's best', that I would send it to John to get the coupling replaced and the arm re-wired etc., and as I said before, it came back looking like new.
Once I manage to get the time to set up the 3009 on the TD124, I shall be able to compare it with my 401, both have Loricraft plinths, but will initially be fitted with different arms and cartridges, however given time I should be able to swap both arms and cartridges. However I shall post my 'impressions' of both turntables as soon as I can.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

Barry
09-09-2013, 00:18
Earlier this year I also sent an SME 3009 Series 2 to Audio Origami for repair. It was one of a pair which I had purchased with the intention of using one on my TD124 -2.
When I had received this particular arm in the post, it was found to be suffering from what I thought might have been a terminal 'droop' between the the rear stub and the main arm. It looked to me as though it might be more serious than just a deteriorated rubber coupling.
I posted the arm off to John after he had reassured me that he would be able to 'fix it', and I have to say that when it arrived back, it looked 'brand new'. The coupling had been replaced, it had been re-wired and fitted with an SME 'phono' conversion for which John had supplied new leads, and he had also supplied new cartridge tags for 3 head shells which I had also sent to him.
I haven't had the time to unpack and set-up the TD 124 yet, but I'm really looking forward to hearing the results through the Quad 44 / 405-2 units which were refurbished by 'Amplabs' earlier this year. I did however listen to my Loricraft 401 which I had quickly unpacked and set up with the Rega 300 / Goldring 1042 which were originally supplied with it, and I am now eagerly waiting to compare the two turntable when I finally have the time.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

May I ask how much AO charged for replacing the bushings? I have a 3009/II whose decoupling bushings have sagged with time (well, it is 43 years old). I have a set of replacement bushes, but my attempt to remove the counterweight arm stub proved to be so difficult, I was afraid of damaging the arm. Discussion with SME, advised me that with "a bit of effort and twisting", the counterweight arm tube can be removed. When I asked if I could send the arm back to them (SME) to have the decoupling bushes replaced, I was told that sadly, they now, no longer, service the 3009/3012 arms.

In the interim, I have reinforced the counterweight stub by using a short section of heat-shrink sleeving. It works, but limits the range of counterweight adjustment.

The Black Adder
09-09-2013, 07:30
Hi Barry, including the bushings it's £40. So I guess you will have to ask Johnnie if he can fit them.

mjkelshaw
09-09-2013, 11:49
Hi Barry,
Just 'logged-on' and spotted your question regarding the cost of fitting a new coupling to your SME arm, which the 'black adder' has already answered.
I would just like to add that I think you will find John extremely helpful, I certainly did. I sent him an SME phono conversion stub which he fitted and supplied new leads for, as part of the service on my arm.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw