PDA

View Full Version : NVA interconnects part two

Ned664
07-09-2013, 15:17
As the op for the original NVA interconnects thread it was to my considerable dismay to see posts drift off thread and spiral downward into personal acrimony. It was very disappointing for the thread to precipitate such vitriol on this forum. Please note the moderatrors ban on the topics previously raised.

Now that is out of the way time for the good news. I decided to purchase a Super Sound Cord to hear for myself this product. It arrived within two days of order. It has been installed for a couple of weeks now and I have to say I am very impressed. The SSC replaced a Chord Chameleon, which in my view is no shabby performer. The chameleon presented cymbals more clearly than I heard before and I was a little concerned that the lower priced SSC would not be able to match that performance. I need not of worried! Cymbals still sound superb but also clarity has been improved in all areas! It is subtle, but to my ears that improvement is evident.

On the basis of ny experience I have not hesitation in recommending the NVA SuperSoundCord which seems to be great value.

Ned

Sovereign
07-09-2013, 15:26
Not heard the SSC, the SSP is also good, be caref how you use it and it should last well.

r100
07-09-2013, 16:01
I think they made a big difference in my setup. I have SSP + LS1 and they do open the sound up. Downsides are they are quite fragile and stiff compared to the other cables I've had but if you are careful when manipulating them there should be no problem. I'm not using NVA amps anymore but even with other gear these cables bring out the best IMHO.

kenworthy100
07-09-2013, 16:09
Thanks Nick, it is good to hear that the SuperSoundCord is living up to expectations, I am considering a set so your thread and thoughts are useful.

Out of interest the Chord Chameleon that you had been using, was that the Silver plus or the earlier version, I was using a couple of the Chameleon Silver plus interconnects but found them unduly bright and harsh in my setup.

Ned664
07-09-2013, 17:34
Thanks Nick, it is good to hear that the SuperSoundCord is living up to expectations, I am considering a set so your thread and thoughts are useful.

Out of interest the Chord Chameleon that you had been using, was that the Silver plus or the earlier version, I was using a couple of the Chameleon Silver plus interconnects but found them unduly bright and harsh in my setup.

Hi John,

Yes they were the silver plus and I would agree that they are perhaps on the bright side, but I did not think overly bright in my system - maybe my MF amp smooths things out? The SSC is very good and to me represents an increase in clarity. Its subtle, not a night / day difference.

wee tee cee
07-09-2013, 18:46
ordered a 40 cm pair to try between DAC and PRE.......another member who has tried these in the past tweaked my interest.
I will give them a fair assessment, my opinion is my own, unclouded by forum vitriol........I just like listening to music.

Marco
07-09-2013, 20:02
Hi Rupert,

Please see my edit to your earlier post. I must also direct you to details of our new ruling: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?27569-Ban-on-all-discussion-of-Richard-Dunn-(NVA)-and-The-Hi-fi-Subjectivist&p=475513#post475513

Please bear the above in mind in future, matey! :)

Marco.

brian2957
07-09-2013, 20:16
I've used the NVA SCs and the SSCs in the past and both rate very highly in the sound per pound VFM stakes . I had to spend a lot more to better these interconnects . Good choice mate.

Sovereign
07-09-2013, 20:17
When I first saw the ban, everything in me wanted to streak just for the fun of it.:stalks:

DSJR
07-09-2013, 22:09
I know the Chord cable well, and in comparison with modern online cables I do know, I'd say it's very poor value these days (take 60% off retail price to see where it sort-of lays today).

[Edited 'cos I just can't be fuggin' a*sed :(]

AlanS
08-09-2013, 10:20
I know the Chord cable well, and in comparison with modern online cables I do know, I'd say it's very poor value these days (take 60% off retail price to see where it sort-of lays today). T'would be interesting to see what the OP might think of the MG HD1000 interconnect, since this latter is very well known around these parts, has good ingredients and a solidly predictable performance.It's priced very fairly too IMO.

He hasn't mentioned it as being his goal. Perhaps you could try it and tell us on another thread.

I have both and both present their own physical character. MG cables are soooo in flexible, large loops required in short distances between sockets.

Both sound good though

Ned664
08-09-2013, 10:37
I know the Chord cable well, and in comparison with modern online cables I do know, I'd say it's very poor value these days (take 60% off retail price to see where it sort-of lays today). T'would be interesting to see what the OP might think of the MG HD1000 interconnect, since this latter is very well known around these parts, has good ingredients and a solidly predictable performance.It's priced very fairly too IMO.

Hi David,

I have not had the good fortune to hear the MG HD1000 against the NVA SSC so cannot comment I'm afraid, of course if you would like to send me one I would be happy to oblige!

DSJR
08-09-2013, 16:30
You don't need one from me :) Mark G can send his own should you so wish and someone who has apparently used both claims BOTH are good. P.S. Most of my interconnects are home-made, but it's nice to have one or two of the others kicking around for use as a reference and the main pre to power one I have (phono to 1/4" jack) was bought new, the other sourced from a kindly gent here who was moving onwards and upwards with his cables.

wee tee cee
11-09-2013, 12:22
received my SSC this morning. Have tried it between my dac and pre. Listened on my headphone rig initially and have switched to a croft power amp/spendor sp1 combo. It hasn't put a foot wrong in either set up, very good cable regardless of cost. It is very open and exhibits no nasties sibilance wise which is my bugbear. Will try it later with some other combos of amps and speakers but so far very Impressed.

wee tee cee
13-09-2013, 13:02
Left the SSC in place between the DAC and Pre and had a wee shuftie with tube mono blocks and 63s, then switched to driving the 63s with temple mono blocks. I must admit this is one the most impressive ICs I have tried.

Might try some of the speaker wires as again value for money wise. They seem to offer an awfully good deal, I a mixture of TQ Black and run my croft amp with a run of talk 3.....can anyone recommend LS1 or above unfortunately need 5m runs. In saying that might try the jumpers as thats all I need when using the temple mono blocks attached to each speaker......anybody able to assist?

wiicrackpot
13-09-2013, 13:53
Does the home trial deal not apply to cables?, i reckon you'll be for another wee surprise, ;)
kid you not, i very nearly joined there to buy them A80 mk1 mono's a few weeks ago, just as well Floyd bought them.

wee tee cee
13-09-2013, 16:05
ordered the jumper cables this afternoon.....will post up my findings when I get them plumbed in. If they are as good as the ICs then I would be chuffed tae bits.

Ali Tait
13-09-2013, 19:42
I still have a pair of LS 3's mate, you're welcome to have a wee shottie. Very good cables, I had a lend of LS 7's for a bit, great cables, as good as anything else I've tried, every bit as good as the TQ Black, just a wee bit bright at the very top end for my taste, but that's just me, I like valves after all.

wee tee cee
13-09-2013, 20:21
thanks Ali, clarified my position.....don't need big lengths just jumpers with my current set up........loads of scope for play!!!!

Sovereign
13-09-2013, 21:35
I currently use MG HD1500's really excellent cables, I also have three pairs of NVA SSP interconnects, the only reason why I don't use the SSP's is because I seem to always be chopping and changing kit. SSP's are excellent but they ideally need to be left alone.
I once tried MG super duper silver interconnect with NVA SSP's They are both top top cables but for me at the time the NVA's pipped them at the post, but it really depends what your preference is. The SSp'd for me were more open (definite NVA trait) but the MG slier cables were also brilliant. As Ali said it's what floats your boat.

wee tee cee
14-09-2013, 07:20
The cable I replaced with SSC was one of MGs 2000 WBT AG in 50cm Length. My system is fully wired with MG cables, headphone rig uses one of his Eichaman silver bullet ICs with a maplins phono-3.5mm adaptor. I have worked my way up through Marks hierarchy of cables utilising his glass optical and power cords. I am a loyal customer of his and regard his cables very highly.
The SSC offers great value for money ,its performance as others intimated is very open.

My system/room/ears. I plan to try some of the speaker cable in jumper lengths to see how they sound on the end of temple mono blocks attached to 63s and Spendor SP1s. Currently I have home made TQ Black in they're home made so the same deadbolt bananas will serve as termination.

The Black Adder
14-09-2013, 07:28
I've been trying an SSP borrowed from a friend for the last week...

The MG G1500HD is going back in today.

It's a good cable but in my system the MG's are much nicer sounding and less clinical.

wee tee cee
14-09-2013, 15:42
my SSC is running between a passive pre and a non upsampling dac.....It has livened up my pipe and slippers sound that I enjoy, just opened things up a bit. Really just a synergy thing with my kit. Still playing around with configurations of equipment but as yet I cant grumble about any aspect of its presentation....may well prove bright in other applications.
My previous MF M1 HPA and M1 dac were far brighter in comparison to my current set up.......horses for courses!!!!