PDA

View Full Version : Shimna by Shan Acoustics

Artmin
05-09-2013, 19:53
It's criminal what some people will toss into a skip:lolsign:

When I first tried them they 'warbled' when played at volume. That was due to loose contacts. I also pulled the tweeters apart to push the domes out, though the creases are permanent.

These things are made out of some sort of concrete/metallic resin which had got chipped, but luckily they lend themselves to being repaired with car filler & a spray can. There's no damping material which suprised me, but they do sound fantastic. Great imaging and no boxiness to the sound. Just pure sound projection.

It also would have been rude not to save the Rotel RB-850 power amplifier that was with them. One channel was blown, but it was just a fast blow glass fuse on the board that was gone. Good sounding amp!

Bin Hoker :D

Roy S
05-09-2013, 19:54
Result!

Andrew B
05-09-2013, 20:28
Nice one! I lusted after a pair of these for years. They also made a matching stand that's even more rare. Here's a pic of the ones I had. Maybe worth another look in the skip just in case the stands are here too!

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/cyprusmemory/image_zpsf1757893.jpg (http://s910.photobucket.com/user/cyprusmemory/media/image_zpsf1757893.jpg.html)

Artmin
06-09-2013, 10:57
Thanks for posting that picture of them on their stands. There were no stands with them unfortunately.

There isn't a lot of information on them on the internet & someone had mentioned the rarity of the stands. I wouldn't mind building a similar looking pair. I also see the tweeters are readily available for £40 a pair but I'm not sure if it is worth it to get rid of the creases. You have to be pretty close to notice. I tried putting a layer of cling film into the rear of the domes & then pushed in warm blu-tack & left for a fortnight. Over time the worst of the creases have gone but some still remain. They were completely inverted when I got them. Luckily the woofers were untouched!

Audio Al
06-09-2013, 12:01
Nice recycling :D

Tarzan
06-09-2013, 12:14
Well done that man, enjoy posts like this one.:)

Andrew B
06-09-2013, 14:46
If you are building some similar stands, I really felt the Shimnas would benefit from 24 inch stands. IIRC the matching stands were more like 20 inches.

It's a wee while back, but I remember that one dealer actually had a pair of the stands for sale at £79. He didn't seem able to shift them, so he may take less if he still has them. I can't remember which dealer it was, but I'll have a looksy.

I wouldn't worry too much about the small dimples on the tweeters. You've done a terrific job and brought a rare gem back into use. The world needs more people like you IMO!

Artmin
07-09-2013, 08:43
Thanks for the encouragement! I do love finding stuff like this.

I did a quick google for Shan speaker stands and came across these on ebay. Only finished this week: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/shan-Acoustic-Speakers-/171114371300?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item27d73618e4&nma=true&si=SH1hFuTh%252FhWZ3kWo6jigV6%252FHSGA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Speakers & stands for £62! Someone got a great sounding bargain!

Andrew B
07-09-2013, 09:50
I watch EBay all the time. Can't believe I didn't see them. Definitely a mega bargain.

Artmin
07-09-2013, 10:06
Me too. I thought I'd searched for Shans over that period but I missed them too.

One thing I have caught onto is looking at ebay on the phone. It remembers my search preferences like distance, buy it now, etc. and I had been wondering why I couldn't find items on the phone but they were there on the desktop PC :doh: