PDA

View Full Version : Do cartridges "go off" after a long period of not being used?

Gazjam
02-09-2013, 09:02
*daft question alert*

Had a Goldring 1012 on my old rega, when I sold it I removed the cart and sat it aside.
That was 15 years ago!

I dont have the stylus any more just the body.

Will it be a viable cart to fit on the Lenco I'm restoring?
Is it a case of just buying a new stylus for it or as its been siting unused for 15 years would I be better getting something new?

Also, I see the current version of the Goldring cart is a 1012GX?
Can I use the existing cart body from the 1012 with one of the new GX stylii?

thanks,
(know computer audio but next to nowt about analogue!)

Audio Al
02-09-2013, 09:05
I would think it's fine

I have quite a few old Carts 20 / 30 years old and they all work fine

Providing the basic cart is OK go for it :)

Or just buy one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rega-Carbon-Moving-Magnet-Cartridge/dp/B00B5BGPM0

hifi_dave
02-09-2013, 09:18
The body won't deteriorate with age but the stylus suspension might well, depending on the design. The suspension is a teensy, weensy piece of rubber and this can harden with age but some materials are better behaved than others.

Macca
02-09-2013, 09:19
The frequency response graph for my Nagoaka MP50 was signed off in August 1980 making it over 33 years old and it sounds just fine. I've just ordered a new stylus for it, £230! Yes, that did release a few endorphins... ;)

Gazjam
02-09-2013, 09:35
cheers guys.

The Rega Carbon gets a good write up, is it a retipped AT-95e?
Had one of those too back in the day as well as the At-110.
Felt the 95 ran the Goldring close but was less grown up sounding.

Has the Rega cart changed the sound of the 95?
How would it compare, say, to a retipped 1012 (or 1012GX as its called now)?

muchos obligidos.
G.

Canetoad
02-09-2013, 09:55
Hi Gaz,

I used a 1012GX on my Rega Planar 3 and tried it on my Techie and it was OK but I preferred a Nagaoka MP150, which was more dynamic than the Goldring. It may be a different story on the Lenco though. For the cost of a new stylus for the Goldring there are quite a lot of 2nd hand cartridges out there you could try. I have a couple of cartridges you might want to try. PM me. :)

walpurgis
02-09-2013, 10:08
I suppose theoretically cartridges have a finite life, but I've never had one succumb to old age (apart from the odd worn stylus). One of my favourite cartridges is my ADC 10E Mk.II and that dates from the late sixties and looks as good as new and sounds marvelous.