PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Cheap As Chips Preamplifier Or Integrated With Pre-Out

istari_knight
29-08-2013, 11:18
I'm having a play with active speakers & need a dirt cheap preamp to play with, I could build a pot in a box but thought I'd ask first.

Budget is very much limited to £50... I'm not expecting anything fancy :D

Giz a shout if you have 'owt.

kininigin
29-08-2013, 11:22
A bit over budget,but you could make an offer!

I was going to get this myself to tie me over till i got a croft pre!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Cambridge-Audio-C500-Pre-Amp-Control-Amplifier-/330981248458?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item4d10050dca

DSJR
29-08-2013, 13:06
This looks interesting and I've asked Stan to see if it's worth his while re-stocking this as a UK source instead of importing it from the US -

http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc754pp.html

Just 'cos it uses op-amps instead of a discrete circuit, don't dismiss it in ignorance out of hand. A better power supply (with Sbooster added?) may lift it well up further and I do intend to try one at some point.

struth
29-08-2013, 13:11
got a NAD integrated that has a pre link....was keeping it for a project but you can have it for 50 if you want

It is the one in my signature...2335PE....NOT A BAD AMP AND HAS A GOOD PHONO STAGE TOO.

there is one on fleabag at moment if you want a PIC etc...

Idlewithnodrive
29-08-2013, 13:27
This looks interesting and I've asked Stan to see if it's worth his while re-stocking this as a UK source instead of importing it from the US -

http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc754pp.html

Just 'cos it uses op-amps instead of a discrete circuit, don't dismiss it in ignorance out of hand. A better power supply (with Sbooster added?) may lift it well up further and I do intend to try one at some point.

I've got one of these in Silver, very little use, still boxed that you can have for £ 40 delivered if you're interested James.

They are quite surprising tbh.

istari_knight
29-08-2013, 16:55
Thanks for the offers & suggestions chaps :thumbsup:

I'll mull it over & get back to you :)

vinylspinner
29-08-2013, 17:13
Hi James,

I have a Cambridge Audio P60 Amplifier that can be switched to pre or power, all din sockets though, £25 posted.

Nigel

istari_knight
31-08-2013, 17:02
Okay, having thought about it I reckon DIY is going to be the best way. Thanks again for the offers :thumbsup:

Regarding the TC-754 Dave, it doesn't use opamps... Its a passive pre with discrete MM phono stage & IC controlled input selector. Looks to be full of lytic coupling caps & a really nasty pot so unless the budgets really tight I wouldn't rush to try one.

Mr Kipling
01-09-2013, 08:41
For a quick try with cd only, if your player has a variable headphone output you could connect to speakers using it.

istari_knight
01-09-2013, 09:18
For a quick try with cd only, if your player has a variable headphone output you could connect to speakers using it.

I've managed to find a cheap dual log pot in my parts bin that I can wire in-line to test with but yes I have done that in the past :)

Mr Kipling
01-09-2013, 09:29
Thought you would have James. . .

mimoser
27-12-2013, 22:22
… found this thread through forum search as I am on a similar "quest" and thought I could resurrect it rather than opening a new one:
there are too many sources and not enough inputs in my main amp, so I am looking for a cheap preamp, british manufacture would be fine …
will need to be posted to Austria/Europe and be paid through paypal.
many thanks in advance
Michael

istari_knight
28-12-2013, 00:06
May be of interest if you like your current amp: http://www.homehifi.co.uk/products/7240.html

mimoser
28-12-2013, 08:58
tbh I like my amp/speakers combo Yamaha RX460 / Monitor Audio 7 and I prefer them to the
NAD 7020 / Heybrook .5
Yamaha CR-440 / Wharfedale Linton
Toshiba SA-7100 / Wharfedale Kit
Leak Stereo30+ / Leak Sandwich
HK340 / Boomblocks
we also have in the house/office and regularly listen to …
But I very well know that the RX-460 was neither totl when I bought it in 1992 together with the Monitor Audio 7s, nor does it have a good phono section. It simply sounded more transparent through the MA7s than a contemporary NAD Receiver then.
So I thought I could sneakily find out if there is more linearity and transparency to be had by trying another pre, not only a switch box and establish a different baseline.
But I do not want to spend silly money chasing clouds, thats all
Michael

istari_knight
28-12-2013, 13:19
Ah, okay well that's fair enough.

In my opinion you'd be better off looking for a new integrated amplifier... You should be able to improve upon the Yamaha for not a lot.

twotone
28-12-2013, 15:54
Rega Brio-R is fantastic value for money IMO.

mimoser
28-12-2013, 19:32
Ah, okay well that's fair enough.

In my opinion you'd be better off looking for a new integrated amplifier... You should be able to improve upon the Yamaha for not a lot.

what would you suggest?
;)
Michael