PDA

View Full Version : So how old do you have to be

Rare Bird
28-08-2013, 14:33

Ali Tait
28-08-2013, 14:38
I've always been of the mind that respect is earned, not just given, regardless of your age.

Rare Bird
28-08-2013, 14:41

Ali Tait
28-08-2013, 14:45
Aye, don't disagree, a lot of young folk's manners leave a great deal to be desired, but then again, there are also a lot of polite and respectful young'uns around.

Rare Bird
28-08-2013, 14:51

Ali Tait
28-08-2013, 14:58
Aye, it's generally different up here, especially as you say, in the smaller places.

chelsea
28-08-2013, 15:02
Think you find there are plenty of ignorant twats all over the country.

Wakefield Turntables
28-08-2013, 15:16
Think you find there are plenty of ignorant twats all over the country.

I second that one brother!

loo
28-08-2013, 15:21
Well I hate all this picking on teenagers were you ever one . Always said when I was one that I would never have the attitude of my parents generation sadly lots of my peers do. I know I would not want to be young today I think I'd be an obnoxious twat , uni education for minimum wage f*ck that.
Paul

Rare Bird
28-08-2013, 15:22
:rolleyes:

loo
28-08-2013, 15:26
Bankers piss up busted pension funds and governmental isolation enough to make anyone grumpy , cut people some slack:)

loo
28-08-2013, 15:29
:rolleyes:

Why remove your original response

shane
28-08-2013, 16:00
Curiously, I find people generally more courteous and respectful since I grew a beard last year. :scratch:

pjdowns
28-08-2013, 16:18
Curiously, I find people generally more courteous and respectful since I grew a beard last year. :scratch:

:lol: now that is confusing Shane! :lol:

jollyfix
28-08-2013, 17:26
I have to agree with Shane, i grew a beard a while back and found i was treated with more respect in my regular haunts. Shaved it off, all back to normal.
I assume it may have been because i looked like an axe wielding, wild man of the woods, don't mess with me or i will shake the pungent crumbs out of my beard at you, type of guy.

pjdowns
28-08-2013, 17:29
I assume it may have been because i looked like an axe wielding, wild man of the woods, don't mess with me or i will shake the pungent crumbs out of my beard at you, type of guy.

:rfl:

Firebottle
28-08-2013, 18:41
I know I would not want to be young today I think I'd be an obnoxious twat , uni education for minimum wage f*ck that.
Paul

There is something to be said for being of a certain generation. When the government actually paid you (not much) to get a further education :)
Also having respect for your olders and betters, but of course that made sense then, when respect was given for experience, life and otherwise.

:cool: Alan

Barry
28-08-2013, 19:34
Since you removed your OP André, I have no way of knowing how to respond or take part in the discussion. :scratch:

chelsea
28-08-2013, 19:39
Maybe answer to what you thought was written.
Would make an entertaining thread.

Rare Bird
28-08-2013, 19:40
Sorry Barry but as usual the topic went off in a totally different Tangent rendering the o/p pointless. I won't bother starting anymore threads in the future that's for sure. Id be glad to PM you me o/p issue if you like.

Barry
28-08-2013, 19:43
Please do André.

Maybe I could get it back on track. :)

Regards

walpurgis
28-08-2013, 19:57

Maybe they just feel sorry for you! :D

shane
28-08-2013, 20:21
That's why I grew it in the first place...

Gordon Steadman
28-08-2013, 20:34
When you reach 67.

I'm 66.

Barry
28-08-2013, 22:32
I would agree with Ali that "respect is earnt, not just given." However I was brought up and taught to respect my parents and elders. My parents sent me to a rather old-fashioned boarding school, where I was taught to stand when a member of the opposite sex entered the room, to offer them my seat on a bus, to hold the door open for them, and to position myself between them and the kerb when walking. (!) I was also taught to repect the police and all forms of authority. These days it is all different: I see many school kids happily sitting in seats of a crowded bus when the elderly or mothers with shopping, or nursing small children have to stand.

As regards respect shown to me, well that is a bit difficult to comment on. In my late twenties I wore a beard (it was fashionable then), then about five years later shaved it off. At about the same time I started to go grey; first at the temples then all over. Despite going grey, people told me I looked young for my age, but I did notice that I was being shown more respect. The biggest shock came when a couple of school kids stopped me to ask for the time and address me as "Sir"! That was a bit of a watershed moment. I have also had school pupils stop and ask me if I was a doctor; again showing me some (misguided) form of respect.

I'm fortunate to live in a small village that is close to the (now) city of Chelmsford, yet still manages to keep a village atmosphere. Most people you encounter out walking will wish you "Good Day", and the staff in the local shops are also polite and helpful. I'm not sure if that happy state of affairs exists in town.

One thing I have found to generally true is, if you are polite to people, they will be polite to you in return.

The Grand Wazoo
28-08-2013, 22:58
.....stand when a member of the opposite sex entered the room, to offer her my seat on a bus, to hold the door open for her, and to position myself between her and the kerb when walking. I was also taught to repect the police and all forms of authority.

Barry, I think you may have a stalker! Still it's lucky that you're on good terms with the local bobbies - you may need them.

Barry
28-08-2013, 23:06
Barry, I think you may have a stalker! Still it's lucky that you're on good terms with the local bobbies - you may need them.

? :scratch:

The Grand Wazoo
28-08-2013, 23:12
Well.....this mysterious woman.....she seems to be with you everywhere you go!

Barry
28-08-2013, 23:16
Ah - now I understand! It was women (plural) in general, rather than any specific woman (singular). :eyebrows:

walpurgis
28-08-2013, 23:19
Come on. 'Fess up you lot, who's become an 'old git' and who's still a young bloke inside what may be turning into a somewhat disappointing exterior.

loo
28-08-2013, 23:41
Come on. 'Fess up you lot, who's become an 'old git' and who's still a young bloke inside what may be turning into a somewhat disappointing exterior.

Well I can fess up to the disappointing exterior the only comfort a mirror gives me is the realisation that my eyesight is fading quicker than my looks:(

Reffc
29-08-2013, 05:59
I would agree with Ali that "respect is earnt, not just given." However I was brought up and taught to respect my parents and elders. My parents sent me to a rather old-fashioned boarding school, where I was taught to stand when a member of the opposite sex entered the room, to offer her my seat on a bus, to hold the door open for her, and to position myself between her and the kerb when walking. (!) I was also taught to repect the police and all forms of authority. These days it is all different: I see many school kids happily sitting in seats of a crowded bus when the elderly or mothers with shopping, or nursing small children have to stand.

As regards respect shown to me, well that is a bit difficult to comment on. In my late twenties I wore a beard (it was fashionable then), then about five years later shaved it off. At about the same time I started to go grey; first at the temples then all over. Despite going grey, people told me I looked young for my age, but I did notice that I was being shown more respect. The biggest shock came when a couple of school kids stopped me to ask for the time and address me as "Sir"! That was a bit of a watershed moment. I have also had school pupils stop and ask me if I was a doctor; again showing me some (misguided) form of respect.

I'm fortunate to live in a small village that is close to the (now) city of Chelmsford, yet still manages to keep a village atmosphere. Most people you encounter out walking will wish you "Good Day", and the staff in the local shops are also polite and helpful. I'm not sure if that happy state of affairs exists in town.

One thing I have found to generally true is, if you are polite to people, they will be polite to you in return.

Well, I don't know what the OP was but can guess from your response Barry. I agree with you and Ali that respect is earned. However, this is often confused with the virtues of being polite and mannerly. That shouldn't be earned, that ought to be a matter of course. Good manners cost nothing but I see little evidence, particularly with many youngsters in my area, that much exists in the way of decent manners, especially in the little things. It's not their fault, it's the way they're brought up and the older they get, perhaps the more mannerly they become as they find out for themselves that treat people as you want to be treated and you'll get better treatment back in return. I would agree though that treating everyone with respect and civility, irrespective of how they treat me often yields the politeness and manners perhaps initially lacking, irrespective of age.

Gordon Steadman
29-08-2013, 07:27
Well, I don't know what the OP was but can guess from your response Barry. I agree with you and Ali that respect is earned. However, this is often confused with the virtues of being polite and mannerly. That shouldn't be earned, that ought to be a matter of course. Good manners cost nothing but I see little evidence, particularly with many youngsters in my area, that much exists in the way of decent manners, especially in the little things. It's not their fault, it's the way they're brought up and the older they get, perhaps the more mannerly they become as they find out for themselves that treat people as you want to be treated and you'll get better treatment back in return. I would agree though that treating everyone with respect and civility, irrespective of how they treat me often yields the politeness and manners perhaps initially lacking, irrespective of age.

It may well be a generation thing, just look at the attitude on the net from some people. However, I suspect that Barry is also right about the environment in which you live. We live in a small village in France where everybody knows each other. The atmosphere here is pretty much as I remember the UK when I was younger. It is automatic to acknowledge anyone you meet, either shake hands or kiss (depending!!) and I have never seen any aggression in public as I did when I lived near Kingston upon Thames - a supposedly posh place.

The thing is, that everybody knows everyone else including the kids. If they misbehave, everyone knows who it was and there is a great deal of social pressure to conform. Some may find it stifling but it all oils the wheels of peace. If anyone craves a bit of freedom, they can bog off to Paris and behave like the citizens of any other big city.

Andre, to expect no thread drift at all is to expect the moon. Given the title of this thread, it was bound to include a few 'extras'. Please don't stop posting threads, it all adds to the interest on the forum. After all, we are all here to interact as well as just read about hi-fi and stuff. its what life is all about.

The Grand Wazoo
29-08-2013, 07:50
Your age has little bearing on whether people will respect you Andre - it depends on you and them. If you behave reasonably and respect others then some of them will respect you but many will not because they are ignorant. Teenagers will always show little respect to adults - that's one of their roles in life! Those OAP's you mentioned will always see you as a whipper snapper.

And you wouldn't want to be in David Cameron's shoes if you wanted everyone to respect you!

walpurgis
29-08-2013, 09:40
Well I can fess up to the disappointing exterior the only comfort a mirror gives me is the realisation that my eyesight is fading quicker than my looks:(

Ha Ha, I like your reply! :)

Gordon Steadman
29-08-2013, 11:55
None of you are even getting my issue so what my point is! I am grown up for my age, act responcable, im a serious, generous, polite person that will do anything for anyone but yet Young & old are still disrespectful, you certainly do earn respect but im sorry at least it doesnt work that way where i live.

I think we did get your point Andre. Its just that the question is actually impossible to answer in black and white terms. There is no definitive answer. Its partly just the way of the world these days, sadly.

RMutt
29-08-2013, 13:44
I've always been of the mind that respect is earned, not just given, regardless of your age.
I have never understood this approach to respect. I'm as cynical as they come at times but surely the best approach is to give respect in the first instance and then remove it if it proves not to be deserved. A lot of the problems we have are because we do not respect one-another enough as a matter of course. By the way, my guess at the opening statement, as it has been removed is ..... before people stand up on the bus and offer you their seat.

loo
29-08-2013, 13:59
I have never understood this approach to respect. I'm as cynical as they come at times but surely the best approach is to give respect in the first instance and then remove it if it proves not to be deserved. A lot of the problems we have are because we do not respect one-another enough as a matter of course. By the way, my guess at the opening statement, as it has been removed is ..... before people stand up on the bus and offer you their seat.

Well put Andrew and I totally agree respect is the right of everybody it is for individuals to loose respect not something to be dished out as a reward , blimey people will be suggesting the reintroduction of poor houses so those ignorant low life society scroungers can really earn some:)
Paul

Rare Bird
29-08-2013, 15:07
:zzz:

Gordon Steadman
29-08-2013, 15:57
:zzz:

Ah,

We're boring you. Sorry about that, you know what these humans are like.

Ali Tait
29-08-2013, 17:22

Err, that's exactly what I meant.