PDA

View Full Version : Greatest classical weekend of my life

JJack
23-08-2013, 17:31
Last March I escaped to NYC for a long weekend, the kind I can only do solo (the wife isn't a classical fan).

The itinerary was: Don Carlo and Parsifal at the Metropolitan Opera, Vienna Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall (twice: once doing Bruckner 4 and the other Dvorak 7 and Strauss), one late-night jazz concert at Birdland.
In between those 5 events, I spent all my remaining hours at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, including hours in the Greek ("classical" get it?) pottery section.

I think I was only there about 75 hours! I expected to only see one opera and one concert, but the timing fell into place for all the others.

Highlights include the marvelous tenor of Jonas Kaufman in Parsifal, longtime favorite Dmitri Hvorosdovsky in Don Carlo, and the astonishing music of the Vienna. I've heard many of the world's great bands (and performed with some); nothing like this group.

If anyone has any Don Carlo recording recommendations, I'd appreciate them. I only have a Domingo set and I'm not always in the mood for his voice.

Audio Al
24-08-2013, 07:55
:eek:

Wow Jack

sounds like you had a excellent trip :)

JJack
26-08-2013, 15:30
:eek:

Wow Jack

sounds like you had a excellent trip :)

Astonishing, really. Or, as the kids say today - "amazing"

Audio Al