PDA

View Full Version : Speaker buying process

JJack
23-08-2013, 15:29
After so-so results with a variety of speakers that sounded great in the dealer showroom, I knew I needed a process to try to obtain more consistent results.

Being a list-making kind of guy, I started with a hard look at the two biggest factors: room interaction and listening preferences. Equipment interaction wasn't a big a factor after I sold my low-powered valve amps. With a powerful Luxman integrated and a fairly neutral digital front end, I set the equipment interaction lower in priority than I have in the past.

So, here are the factors that were IMPOSED on me, as a result of my listening preference for large orchestra/opera:

1. I needed a speaker that would simultaneously fit within a small room (13 by 12 feet) but would fill a large room with sound. My listening room is a loft with a half-wall that opens to a very large space (like 25 by 45).
2. It needed to image well within that small footprint.
3. It needed high power handling as I listen often listen at high volumes.
4. I strongly preferred a front-ported speaker to maximize placement options.
5. I wanted a "monitor"-type speaker versus, say, an Audio Note-type.
6. I wanted to experiment with newer driver technology.
7. It needed to have decent bass extension, given my listening preferences.

Once the room and my listening preferences imposed those parameters on me, there were only a handful of speakers that could meet my needs.

[I auditioned Gallo, Sonus Faber, PSB, TAD/Pioneer, Paradigm, B & W, Golden Ear, Harbeth, Marten, Joseph Audio, and others.]

I purchased Get Better Sound and followed it for the speaker placement.

After purchasing the speakers, adjusting my room treatments (GIK Acoustics - 4 bass panels and one diffusor) I can say I've never been happier with the results. My days of hit or miss are gone.

What's your process for buying speakers?