PDA

View Full Version : Which gets you fitter...

Reffc
21-08-2013, 14:34
...Road cycling or mountain biking?

the reason I ask is that some people I know that are MTB'ers reckon they're fitter than the roadies, and the roadies claim the opposite. My own view is that you have to be fit to ride cross country on a mountain bike, especially where technical climbs are concerned, but road riding I reckon helps mountain biking way more than mountain biking helps road riding. Stamina, power and aerobic fitness I've found have come on leaps and bounds since stepping up the road miles whereas previous to that, XC trips were tiring but I never seemed to progress much fitness-wise.

Your experiences?

Oldpinkman
21-08-2013, 16:49
Golf I recall is one of the best exercises. Probably not competing with that sort of serious cycling, but way up on the usual suspects - probably because you walk so bloody far looking for stray shots over such an extended period compared with a mere hour running round a tennis court.

I suspect the answer to your question depends on where you do it. Having watched some local frenchies out for their Sunday cycle climbing 8km vertical hills faster than my overheating car, I feel they are probably about as fit as it is conceivable man can be.

Far too much for me - I see the sun is over the yardarm again - break out the Limoux Mrs S :cool:

Andrew B
21-08-2013, 16:52
I only use a mountain bike, so I'm unsure about road bikes and their benefits upon fitness. I'd simply say, get on any bike and you'll certainly be a good bit fitter, healthier and more satisfied than you would be otherwise.

pjdowns
21-08-2013, 17:46
I only use a mountain bike, so I'm unsure about road bikes and their benefits upon fitness. I'd simply say, get on any bike and you'll certainly be a good bit fitter, healthier and more satisfied than you would be otherwise.

Hmm makes me think I really should get my bike out of the Garage!

rubber duck
21-08-2013, 17:54
Fitness levels must depend on what level you ride at? A roadie or mountain biker training and competing would surely be fitter than one who rides recreationally.

bobbasrah
21-08-2013, 17:56
http://pennyfarthingbicycles.co.uk/

Hmm makes me think I really should get my bike out of the Garage!

pjdowns
21-08-2013, 17:58
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://pennyfarthingbicycles.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Penny-Farthing-Bicycle.jpg&imgrefurl=http://pennyfarthingbicycles.co.uk/&h=300&w=319&sz=29&tbnid=vdel64u7lSgHrM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=96&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpenny%2Bfarthing%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3 Du&zoom=1&q=penny+farthing&usg=__XSvAflRTe-GHs4tJrIjR7QNgpqA=&docid=Wv3nMVPYMErfXM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Lf8UUtTyL8GQtQaghICIAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEMQ9QEwBA&dur=1473

:lolsign: that's the one ;)

sq225917
21-08-2013, 21:16
MTB will condition your body more as you have to ride over rougher ground and compensate for terrain changes in ways you don't on the road. But neither will get you fitter, that's solely down to the effort you put in.

Simon.
Roadie and DH mtb.

Tarzan
21-08-2013, 21:24
Mountain bike as l have just brought one:)

Thing Fish
21-08-2013, 22:04
I have ridden off road with both road and off road cyclists and generally i'd say road riders have a higher level of fittness and endurance.

At top levels though both are absolute killers.

I'ts been stated many times that the 'Tour de France' is one of the toughest sporting event in the world.

synsei
22-08-2013, 06:03
I've never been able to afford both a decent road and mountain bike together so I bought the best mountain bike I could (Kona Scrap) and used it for both types of riding up until my accident. The extra weight of the MTB when used on road sure helped build stamina and I could ride miles on it without too much trouble at all.

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/2eb5555e-7677-4f9f-871f-5d4fd1461668.jpg (http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/Sgtgrash/media/2eb5555e-7677-4f9f-871f-5d4fd1461668.jpg.html)

Puffin
22-08-2013, 06:14
MTB will condition your body more as you have to ride over rougher ground and compensate for terrain changes in ways you don't on the road. But neither will get you fitter, that's solely down to the effort you put in.

Simon.
Roadie and DH mtb.

Exactly. Since I became a postie 18 months ago, the rides I used to think were a good distance and workout are now nothing and I want to cycle double the distance and I can do it in half the time.

maz
22-08-2013, 08:07
Having done both, I would say, if done seriously then road riding. A great road rider would have the stamina to adapt into MTB'ing much easier than vice versa. If you look at the genuine tour de france chaps then you will see some of the fittest athletes in the world.

AlfaGTV
22-08-2013, 08:26
Define "fitter" ! :)
Are you talking about Cardio/VO2 Max and lung capacity im pretty sure that road biking gets you there faster.
Are you referring to muscle strenght, agility and spontaneous burst of energy i'd say mountaing biking is the remedy! Besides, your whole body gets worked out in a different manner than when staying on your saddle for 5 hours while on the tarmac.

Either way, getting out on your bike will improve your fitness, stamina and your look on life! :D

Regards
/Mike
(Who mostly runs, but does some 100km on the bike (mostly road) each week)

AlfaGTV
22-08-2013, 08:30
Having done both, I would say, if done seriously then road riding. A great road rider would have the stamina to adapt into MTB'ing much easier than vice versa.
Agreed! +1

If you look at the genuine tour de france chaps then you will see some of the fittest athletes in the world.
Did i hear "chemicals" ???? :rolleyes:

Regards //Mike

Reffc
22-08-2013, 09:01
Define "fitter" ! :)
Are you talking about Cardio/VO2 Max and lung capacity im pretty sure that road biking gets you there faster.
Are you referring to muscle strenght, agility and spontaneous burst of energy i'd say mountaing biking is the remedy! Besides, your whole body gets worked out in a different manner than when staying on your saddle for 5 hours while on the tarmac.

Either way, getting out on your bike will improve your fitness, stamina and your look on life! :D

Regards
/Mike
(Who mostly runs, but does some 100km on the bike (mostly road) each week)

Interesting spread of opinion so far. I'd mostly agree with the above except that road biking can get the explosive energy too, it depends on what discipline you're training for. Some of the best technical mtb'ers I know are time trial roadies and not much touches them for muscle condition.

Personally, after putting in the miles on the road bike, the higher cadence and longer durations in the saddle have helped my mtb'ing no end. I'm fitter cardio-wise and stronger plus have more stamina. That's not to say you can't train for that on a mountain bike, but very few cross country rides see the rider pedalling constantly. It's more interval riding with some bursts of strength needed with the sort of riding I do. Different I guess if you're a genuine xc racer with little technical stuff and big miles. I've never found that mountain biking helps my road riding much in terms of stamina or increasing cadence but it seems to work for me the other way around.

MikeMusic
22-08-2013, 09:10
...Road cycling or mountain biking?

the reason I ask is that some people I know that are MTB'ers reckon they're fitter than the roadies, and the roadies claim the opposite. My own view is that you have to be fit to ride cross country on a mountain bike, especially where technical climbs are concerned, but road riding I reckon helps mountain biking way more than mountain biking helps road riding. Stamina, power and aerobic fitness I've found have come on leaps and bounds since stepping up the road miles whereas previous to that, XC trips were tiring but I never seemed to progress much fitness-wise.

Your experiences?
I'm a roadie so could be biased but I think road work is better as you can choose what you do in the main.
Mountain biking could be the same if you know the route so you know when you can push, but there are times when staying on is paramount

MikeMusic
22-08-2013, 09:11
Golf I recall is one of the best exercises. Probably not competing with that sort of serious cycling, but way up on the usual suspects - probably because you walk so bloody far looking for stray shots over such an extended period compared with a mere hour running round a tennis court.

I suspect the answer to your question depends on where you do it. Having watched some local frenchies out for their Sunday cycle climbing 8km vertical hills faster than my overheating car, I feel they are probably about as fit as it is conceivable man can be.

Far too much for me - I see the sun is over the yardarm again - break out the Limoux Mrs S :cool:
Golfing can be very good for fitness if you don't know where the sniper is
:)