PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DV-717 Manual

Ninanina
20-08-2013, 22:14
Hi all, I have no idea where else to put this ;)

Does anyone have a copy of the Pioneer DV-717 DVD/CD manual that they could scan/copy?

Thanks to anyone that can help

Regards

Bev

synsei
20-08-2013, 22:37
http://www.hifiengine.com/library/pioneer/dv-717.shtml

You will need an account to download though Bev ;)

Ninanina
20-08-2013, 22:59
http://www.hifiengine.com/library/pioneer/dv-717.shtml

You will need an account to download though Bev ;)

Thanks for that Dave ;)

I just tried it and although it does list the 717 every time I click on it, it just goes back to the front page, looks a bit of a bug

I did just upload a manual for the 737 though in case anyone needs it

Yomanze
21-08-2013, 09:00
Uh oh is the secret getting out as to how good these are as CD transports? :P

Ninanina
21-08-2013, 19:34
Uh oh is the secret getting out as to how good these are as CD transports? :P

Well Neil I have just received my 717 today and am listening to it with output to the Bushmaster; it sounds pretty good to me. Haven't tried a DVD yet. I have to say it's a nice looking beast but the cd/dvd tray is a bit flimsy especially after the Meridian 506

What other transports have you tried Niel? and where would you put the 717 in sound quality?

Puffin
21-08-2013, 19:53
I have a broken 717 (the power supply died). IMO it makes a great transport. Trouble is I would have to buy another one to get a power supply. I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Ninanina
21-08-2013, 20:19
I have a broken 717 (the power supply died). IMO it makes a great transport. Trouble is I would have to buy another one to get a power supply. I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Hi Rob :wave:
Do you still have my Klipsch KG's?? what do you think of them now?

The 717 seems such good value at the moment, I picked mine up for £40 so if you think they are good as a transport then it's cheap enough to get another one. What have you compared it to?

Does anyone know if the 737 is any better and maybe a less flimsy drawer :)

Yomanze
21-08-2013, 20:50
Well Neil I have just received my 717 today and am listening to it with output to the Bushmaster; it sounds pretty good to me. Haven't tried a DVD yet. I have to say it's a nice looking beast but the cd/dvd tray is a bit flimsy especially after the Meridian 506

What other transports have you tried Niel? and where would you put the 717 in sound quality?

I've tried a lot of transports including various USB/SPDIF (Musical Fidelity V-Link 192, HagUSB), other good Pioneer transports such as PD-S505, DV-505, Philips swingarm based transports such as Marantz CD75, Rotel 965BX, quickly sent the Little Dot CD Transport back as it was just too processed and digital sounding. Have also used various modern DVD players, which again add a strong digital signature to the sound. The Marantz comes from a time where serious digital outs didn't exist.

Of all of these the DV-717 has the most analogue and natural sound without the 'muddy' effects of players like the Pioneer Stable Platter (still good sounding) & swingarm players. Units like the V-Link 192 or Little Dot CD Transport may appear like there's more detail at first listen, when you compare with the DV-717 the detail's all there, just not etched like the modern stuff generally seems to be.

I have about 4x units, some broken, some working. They were £650 in the 90s & picked them up for between £30 and £60. As for the tray, it's an ergonomic thing, but the transport mechs themselves on these are very heavy duty, metal laser unit etc. The 737 is the same as the 717 except for some extra video features, which aren't necessary in transport duties. The lack of HDMI also makes these old battleships unsuitable for modern DVD usage, but they are considered as obsolete by most owners and there's always loads on eBay for peanuts.

Ninanina
21-08-2013, 21:00
Thanks for that Neil

I seem to have a slight problem with mine. On cd playback it seems fine but as soon as I put a DVD in it I cannot seem to use the Audio Optical output into the Bushmaster as it makes a nasty noise

Does your's do the same? or do I have a faulty unit ?

istari_knight
21-08-2013, 21:34
That takes me back, I used one as a transport with a Musical Fidelity X-DAC back in 05/06.

In the settings menu is the digital output set to PCM ?

Ninanina
21-08-2013, 21:52
That takes me back, I used one as a transport with a Musical Fidelity X-DAC back in 05/06.

In the settings menu is the digital output set to PCM ?

Hi James
I can't see where PCM is to be set... I don't have a manual. The 737 manual isn't much help either

istari_knight
21-08-2013, 22:11
In that case it sounds like your outputting 5.1 into your 2 channel DAC. The resulting noise can damage your tweeters so be careful.

I cant remember what the setup menu's like on them...

When you press the setup button it might give you 4 vertical tiles numbered 1-4 [1.Title menu, 2.Menu, 3.Initial, 4.Output]

Or it may give you 5 horizontal tiles when you press setup [Audio1, Audio2, Video, Language, General]

Which one is it ?

Ninanina
21-08-2013, 22:35
I've been very careful and had the volume very very low

I didn't think the 717 outputs 5.1 I thought it's only 2 channel, mind you having said that it did mention Dolby surround but I've switched that off

I've tried everything but the clicking sort of noise remains

If I can only use the tv's speakers it's not a biggi, but it would have been nice to put through the amp

I think it maybe something to do with the Dolby noise reduction but I've turned all that off but it still shows in red on the display, very odd

I'm confused and that's not like me :scratch::scratch:

istari_knight
21-08-2013, 23:05
Yeah it will output dolby digital & DTS aswell as 2 channel PCM.

I've been racking my brain & if I remember correctly you need the following audio settings when using a DAC... I've listed them as they appear in the menu [I think!]

AUDIO 1:

Dolby Digital Out: Dolby Digital>PCM
DTS Out: OFF
96Khz PCM Out: OFF
MPEG Out: MPEG>PCM
Digital Out: ON

AUDIO 2:

Virtual Surround: OFF
Audio DRC: OFF

Hopefully Neil can confirm when he see's this ?

Ninanina
21-08-2013, 23:07

I've been racking my brain & if I remember correctly you need the following audio settings when using a DAC... I've listed them as they appear in the menu [I think!]

AUDIO 1:

AUDIO 2:

Thanks so much James I'll check that out....

Be back in a min

Ninanina
21-08-2013, 23:24
Thanks so much James I'll check that out....

Be back in a min

James you are a complete STAR...... :youtheman::youtheman::youtheman:

I don't know how on earth you remembered all that but it was SPOT ON

I hope I can help you in the future too

istari_knight
21-08-2013, 23:46
No worries ! :thumbsup:

Ninanina
22-08-2013, 00:28
Not quite on topic but...

Sound wise I would say the DV-717 is very musical, smooth too. I've got it running through the Bushmaster via Toslink cable

Playing DVD's is secondary as far as I'm concerned but if I keep it then I'll free up a spot in the rack/table as I will only need one unit to play both CD's/DVD's

Certainly my first impressions are very good :D

istari_knight
22-08-2013, 01:56
Its a nice bit of kit as I recall, a better transport than the Denon DVD-2900 I "upgraded" to at the time... Would be very interesting to compare it with a Sony DVP-S7700 [was Sony's top of the range player around the same time & can be bought for similar prices to the 717 on eBay.]

Audio Al
22-08-2013, 11:36

AUDIO 1:

AUDIO 2:

Is there no end to this mans knowledge

All Hail James

:youtheman:

Puffin
22-08-2013, 13:14
Bev, I still have the KG's. I like them a lot:)

istari_knight
22-08-2013, 19:37
Is there no end to this mans knowledge

All Hail James

:youtheman:

:o I do try...

Just don't ask me about turntable's, cant be arsed wiv 'em ! :D

Audio Al
22-08-2013, 19:46
:o I do try...

Just don't ask me about turntable's, cant be arsed wiv 'em ! :D

:stalks::eek:

WHAT !!!!

Correction " DONT all hail James " :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

The Outcast
22-08-2013, 19:56
I'z got one!

istari_knight
22-08-2013, 19:57
:stalks::eek:

WHAT !!!!

Correction " DONT all hail James " :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

:lol: IME The more one spends on 'high end' vinyl replay equipment the more it just sounds like a decent CD player :doh: If I still had my records I'd be into it but they are long sold.

I'll get my coat... http://arcticmonkeysus.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/coat.gif

Yomanze
22-08-2013, 21:11
:lol: IME The more one spends on 'high end' vinyl replay equipment the more it just sounds like a decent CD player :doh: If I still had my records I'd be into it but they are long sold.

I'll get my coat... http://arcticmonkeysus.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/coat.gif

Yes and the more you spend on digital the closer you get to vinyl sound! There's a point where they're pretty much indistinguishable, but oh so rare to find digital players that do this.