PDA

View Full Version : OCD

Thing Fish
18-08-2013, 22:52
I'm not diagnosed OCD but I display many of the symptoms of said order.

I do wonder if this influences my music/listening buying? Truth is I know it does...!!!

I do ideally like clean pitch perfect vocals which greatly influence what music I listen to or buy. I can listen to most music it's just that it can irritate me somewhat.

That's why I find it difficult to listen to nasally or off pitch vocals as so many have these days. Believe you me more have them than you realise...!!!

Vocalist that irritate me amongst others are - Prince, Bob Dylan and Van Morrison. The purest (IMHO) are Jonie Mitchell and Laure Marling to name a few. there are many others but those are the ones that spring to mind.

I tend to like pure melodic scales but strangely I can handle jazz (recently) as it's so abstract as to not worry me.

I actually put this down to why I own less than 600 records when I have been collecting for 37 years.

Just thought i'd throw this out there for discussion...

Audio Al
19-08-2013, 04:51
I find it difficult to listen to nasally

Can you add Kylie Minogue to the list :)

Gordon Steadman
19-08-2013, 06:01
Lots of nasal stuff about but off pitch surely means they shouldn't be there in the first place. Love Joni but then I love Dylan. Both have a way with words which, in my case, is as important as the tunes.

My only OCD trait is chronic untidiness. I just can't feel comfortable until I have built a nice pile of stuff around my environment. I like to know which pile everything is in though.:mental:

lurcher
19-08-2013, 07:07
I tend to like pure melodic scales but strangely I can handle jazz (recently) as it's so abstract as to not worry me.

How do you feel about blues? I ask because while Jazz may be more tonally complex, it normally is very on pitch, "bent" notes are unusual in most jazz, blues on the other hand use far less official notes and is closer to a microtonal scale.

Rare Bird
19-08-2013, 08:26
I suffer from OCD. Quite a lot of people suffer from a mild form of it. But when it interferes with your every day life like it does me it's a problem..

Example:I can check all the lights & sockets are off before bed, get as far as the bedroom & turn back, do it all again as if i have no recollection of ever checking them in the first place. Then i'll get in bed but i'll be straight back out to check all over again, i can do this anything up to half a dozen times.This is serious OCD imho..I don't realise i'm doing it till the wifes comments..

The Methodical way i do things from laying ornaments out & hanging pictures in perfect symmetry, spraying paintwork when decorating because the balloon would go up if there ever were a brush mark in my paint are things ive always done, ive always been a perfectionist.

As for the OP regarding 'influences my music/listening buying' very much so. I listern to two forms of music style Psych & Prog. This maybe simple but it's hard for me. I have to have the Psych CD's away from the Prog CD's, but i have to have the UK/European Psych away from the USA Psych/Garage. As i have to have the UK Prog away from the European Prog, but i also have to move the Mainstream Prog like ELP, YES, Genesis etc also seperated..Another mad thing is i have a serious issue with music post 1973, the two or three albums i have post 1973, drives me crazy because even tho they are good, it irritates me beacuse they are not pre '73, it grinds & grinds at me & ive tried omitting them from my collecting just to satisfy my obsession

That aside it gets worse. For instance if i buy a band discography & all the spines don't match my brain goes into melt down, the odd one will irritate me so much i'll buy em all new again when they get re-issued in the hope they all match. Another one is if i can only get a CD in a Digipack of mini card sleeve it does my head in because they don't look uniform within the Jewel cases on the shelf :eek:

Yeh you guessed i have a few wires loose :D

Joe
19-08-2013, 08:42
I am completely the opposite of OCD, in that I 'remember' doing things that I clearly haven't done (locking the back door, turning stuff off), and my records/books/other stuff are in no sort of order. I never notice if pictures aren't straight, and I didn't even notice how off-key Syd Barrett's singing is on 'The Madcap Laughs' until someone pointed it out.

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 10:40
I suffer from OCD. Quite a lot of people suffer from a mild form of it. But when it interferes with your every day life like it does me it's a problem..

Example:I can check all the lights & sockets are off before bed, get as far as the bedroom & turn back, do it all again as if i have no recollection of ever checking them in the first place. Then i'll get in bed but i'll be straight back out to check all over again, i can do this anything up to half a dozen times.This is serious OCD imho..I don't realise i'm doing it till the wifes comments..

The Methodical way i do things from laying ornaments out & hanging pictures in perfect symmetry, spraying paintwork when decorating because the balloon would go up if there ever were a brush mark in my paint are things ive always done, ive always been a perfectionist.

As for the OP regarding 'influences my music/listening buying' very much so. I listern to two forms of music style Psych & Prog. This maybe simple but it's hard for me. I have to have the Psych CD's away from the Prog CD's, but i have to have the UK/European Psych away from the USA Psych/Garage. As i have to have the UK Prog away from the European Prog, but i also have to move the Mainstream Prog like ELP, YES, Genesis etc also seperated..Another mad thing is i have a serious issue with music post 1973, the two or three albums i have post 1973, drives me crazy because even tho they are good, it irritates me beacuse they are not pre '73, it grinds & grinds at me & ive tried omitting them from my collecting just to satisfy my obsession

That aside it gets worse. For instance if i buy a band discography & all the spines don't match my brain goes into melt down, the odd one will irritate me so much i'll buy em all new again when they get re-issued in the hope they all match. Another one is if i can only get a CD in a Digipack of mini card sleeve it does my head in because they don't look uniform within the Jewel cases on the shelf :eek:

Yeh you guessed i have a few wires loose :D

I feel your pain Andre.

Whilst not quite as extreme as you, I find myself showing a number of symptoms of OCD;

1. I have an extreme urge to wash my hands after everything I do, especially whilst cooking.
2. I have all of my CDs, Vinyl, Casettes and Mini Discs in alphabetical order and can almost always tell you exactly where one is. If my wife plays an album and it's out of order when she puts it back, I have a mini breakdown and have to quickly correct it!
3. Like you, ornaments have to be in particular order and I always have to hang picture frames using a level.

Interesting subject this!

synsei
19-08-2013, 10:49
God, you two would freak if you saw my music collection, perhaps I should invite you both over so you can catalogue it for me. No, scrub that... André would chuck it all in the bin :lol:

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 10:52
God, you two would freak if you saw my music collection, perhaps I should invite you both over so you can catalogue it for me. No, scrub that... André would chuck it all in the bin :lol:

Have to say I'd probably catalogue it for you :D as it'd drive me bonkers! I also forgot to mention that I have to catalogue each album in an Excel spreadsheet and Music Collectorz and then import it into iTunes and upload to my server before I'll play it or put it into my alphabetical collection downstairs!

Rare Bird
19-08-2013, 11:02
Does it drive anyone crazy if the CD is not sat in it's case correctly ? :eyebrows:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w425/ELPFAN1968/Wrong.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ELPFAN1968/media/Wrong.jpg.html)

^ :eek: I'd be climbing the wall if i saw that

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w425/ELPFAN1968/Right.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ELPFAN1968/media/Right.jpg.html)

^ :) That's better, well nearly

synsei
19-08-2013, 11:04
Erm, yes it does actually :eyebrows:

I also have to count to ten if I find a CD not put back in its case, the kids are famous for that... :rolleyes:

Ali Tait
19-08-2013, 11:17
That was one thing that used to drive me up the wall, my ex would put cd's back in the wrong cases and then put them back in the racks. Used to take me hours sometimes to sort out. Argh!!

Thing Fish
19-08-2013, 11:20
All my records have to be in anti static and plastic sleeves. They also have to be in order and neatly stacked. If they aren't I can't relax or god forbid listen to music.

If I am listening to music and I see some dust or a cobweb the hoover quickly comes out...!!!

synsei
19-08-2013, 11:22
It doesn't happen now because the only person allowed to handle my records is me, but way back in the mists of time I'd get really pi**ed off if I found someone had placed an inner record sleeve back into the main sleeve facing out... :steam:

Joe
19-08-2013, 11:27
My CDs can count themselves lucky if they actually make it back into the case. I've never knowingly checked to see whether they're in straight or not.

Thing Fish
19-08-2013, 11:30
My CDs can count themselves lucky if they actually make it back into the case. I've never knowingly checked to see whether they're in straight or not.

How the hell do you get to sleep at night Joe...:lol:

Joe
19-08-2013, 11:32
How the hell do you get to sleep at night Joe...:lol:

People without OCD sleep very well, unless the house burns down because they forget to turn the gas off!

Rare Bird
19-08-2013, 11:38
Is this normal, very carefull cutting around the shink wrap so i can get to the digipack but retain the shrink wrap on the sleeve? :D

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w425/ELPFAN1968/Larks.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ELPFAN1968/media/Larks.jpg.html)

Joe
19-08-2013, 11:44
Is this normal, very carefull cutting around the shink wrap so i can get to the digipack but retain the shrink wrap on the sleeve?

That's certainly not normal. Normal is digging into the shrink wrap with the business end of a biro, tearing the shrink wrap off then letting it fall to the floor as you rush to have a listen to the new CD.

Rare Bird
19-08-2013, 11:46
The good thing i guess about OCD sufferers is they are not idle people..because of their compulsive behaviour.

At the back of our flats it's a little like a cul-de-sac, A young guy in his late 20's who lives at the back, has this road cleaning machine & other various implement , he is out every single day cleaning the road, cutting people grass & hedges, general gardening stuff, all free of charge, pretty much everything that is in view from his living room window he will clean, i have even seen him sweeping off the tops of the garages.. Bless him..

julesd68
19-08-2013, 14:49
I feel your pain Andre.

Whilst not quite as extreme as you, I find myself showing a number of symptoms of OCD;

1. I have an extreme urge to wash my hands after everything I do, especially whilst cooking.
2. I have all of my CDs, Vinyl, Casettes and Mini Discs in alphabetical order and can almost always tell you exactly where one is. If my wife plays an album and it's out of order when she puts it back, I have a mini breakdown and have to quickly correct it!
3. Like you, ornaments have to be in particular order and I always have to hang picture frames using a level.

Interesting subject this!

Hi Paul,

Lots of people show similar symptoms of this kind of very mild obsessive behaviour without it developing into full blown OCD which is a whole different ball-game.

For example, OCD sufferers who fear contamination might have the compulsion to wash their hands over and over again, until their hands are completely red raw and unspeakably painful ...

The question to ask yourself, is whether your behaviour causes you constant mental anguish and stress? If it doesn't, I wouldn't worry about it ...

Barry
19-08-2013, 15:02
Does it drive anyone crazy if the CD is not sat in it's case correctly ? :eyebrows:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w425/ELPFAN1968/Wrong.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ELPFAN1968/media/Wrong.jpg.html)

^ :eek: I'd be climbing the wall if I saw that

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w425/ELPFAN1968/Right.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ELPFAN1968/media/Right.jpg.html)

:lol: That's exactly what I feel. I wrote a post quite come time ago, asking the question "was I developing the first signs of OCD, since I now go to the trouble of making sure the title of the CD is horizontal when fitted in the case?" And no Andre, it's better but not as good as it should be.

Another 'foible' of mine is I must put right any picture whose frame is not perfectly level. I don't go to the trouble of using a spirit level: my eye is good enough.

Another is that I pride myself on being able to spell reasonably well. However I tend to think faster than I can type, so a certain amount of 'dyslexia' occurs, or even that of extraneous or missing words. Fortunately one can proof read what has been written, and if errors are spotted quickly enough, corrected. However once 3 minutes have past, errors can still be corrected, but the reason for the correction/edit box pops up. I dislike having to write "spelling", so often I don't - but the record is there for all to see. Even worse, after 24 hours any mistakes are permenant. When I see an old post I have written with errors it really drives me round the bend, as I know there is nothing I can do about it!

Puffin
19-08-2013, 15:06
I have been through phases where I have double checked that things like the car and house doors are locked, but the older I get the less I feel the need to do it and accept that I have done it the first time (if you see what I mean)

I too wash my hands a lot whilst cooking especially if preparing Chicken, but mainly because that since I was very small I have never been able to tolerate sticky hands.

I would never eat anything that has fallen on to the worktop, even if it had been cleaned with an anti-bac seconds before. There are people who say that a toilet seat has less bacteria than a worktop. There was an ad once that showed food being prepared on the lid of a bog. You would never EVER get me to eat off a toilet seat. Hand washing with soap and water after using the bog is compulsory for me (or an anti-bac hand wipe if using public bogs)

Funny though that as a teenager I suffered with IBS and my stomping ground was Clapham Junction. There were some underground bogs right in the middle of the street. I was a regular visitor. They never had any soap or hot water, so it a quick rub together with cold water, never got ill as a result:mental::mental:

walpurgis
19-08-2013, 15:23
I definitely used to have a touch of OCD, not these days though, too lazy to be bothered.

icehockeyboy
19-08-2013, 15:26
Bloody hell!

I didn't realise I was in the company of so many nutters!!!!! :doh:

No wonder I like it here! :lol:

Trumpton_Rioter
19-08-2013, 15:28
I do have to take the cutlery out of the dishwasher in a certain order (knife, fork, desert spoon, tea spoon)and put it in the drawer in the reverse order and if I miss say a knife and havent spotted it until near the end I have to put them all back and start again.
I have been known to turn a light on just to make sure I have turned it off properly
I am also constantly checking I have my house keys and money in my pocket if I go out.

I am so glad that my little "quirks" are not as severe as some peoples but they do cause frustration and amusement in equal measure to SWMBO

Thing Fish
19-08-2013, 16:08
Most of the time I avoid walking on cracks but my most weird foible is that I hate to leave things on odd numbers, like the TV remote control volume even on my computer it has to be left on an even number.

The more things I list the more I realise that my OCD is more prominent than I thought...:scratch:

Trumpton_Rioter
19-08-2013, 16:16
[QUOTE=Thing Fish;472074]Most of the time I avoid walking on cracks but my most weird foible is that I hate to leave things on odd numbers, like the TV remote control volume even on my computer it has to be left on an even number.

The more things I list the more I realise that my OCD is more prominent than I thought...:scratch:[/QUOTE

thinking about it I also have to have the sound level set to a multiple of 5 - you just think these are normal things that others do until someone points out that its maybe just you who is the fruit loop :lol:

Rare Bird
19-08-2013, 16:36
I don't think it's related but if i really have to take a number two in a public toilet i tear off sheets of bog roll & place them around the seat before i sit on it, i hold onto the old man like grim death because i would die if it touch the pan :eek:

Barry
19-08-2013, 16:48
I don't think it's related but if i really have to take a number two in a public toilet i tear off sheets of bog roll & place them around the seat before i sit on it, i hold onto the old man like grim death because i would die if it touch the pan :eek:

I know of someone who won't even sit on the seat of a public lavatory: he squats over it. Damned awkward and uncomfortable if you ask me.

Trumpton_Rioter
19-08-2013, 17:02
I only go it it is an emergency, and I mean past the touching cloth stage

synsei
19-08-2013, 18:39
"I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in the right order, as they should be..." :D

doodoos
19-08-2013, 18:49
I wipe my stylus after every record - does that count as ocd?

Thing Fish
19-08-2013, 19:11

Wow...:stalks:

Rare Bird
19-08-2013, 19:12
me too

:sofa:

Thing Fish
19-08-2013, 19:19
me too

:sofa:

Should I be doing that also...:scratch:

Rare Bird
19-08-2013, 19:22
yes but put a bit of loo paper under the cartridge incase dust fragment fall on your deck

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 19:50
Is this normal, very carefull cutting around the shink wrap so i can get to the digipack but retain the shrink wrap on the sleeve? :D

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w425/ELPFAN1968/Larks.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ELPFAN1968/media/Larks.jpg.html)

Normal yes and no... Hope that helps :lol:

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 19:50

Wrong, wrong, wrongety, wrong!!

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 19:56
Bloody hell!

I didn't realise I was in the company of so many nutters!!!!! :doh:

No wonder I like it here! :lol:

:rfl:

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 19:57
[LIST]
I do have to take the cutlery out of the dishwasher in a certain order (knife, fork, desert spoon, tea spoon)and put it in the drawer in the reverse order and if I miss say a knife and havent spotted it until near the end I have to put them all back and start again.

That's extreme but surprisingly I love it!

Trumpton_Rioter
19-08-2013, 20:02
and I didnt realise I was doing it until I was told

SWMBO also refuses to put stuff in now because I keep moving it about to position it better

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 20:21
Most of the time I avoid walking on cracks but my most weird foible is that I hate to leave things on odd numbers, like the TV remote control volume even on my computer it has to be left on an even number.

The more things I list the more I realise that my OCD is more prominent than I thought...:scratch:

I have a similar problem with CDs and DVDs. I hate having an odd number of them, so will buy a random one just to ensure I still have an even total.

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 20:22
I know of someone who won't even sit on the seat of a public lavatory: he squats over it. Damned awkward and uncomfortable if you ask me.

My wife won't even use a public toilet... How she holds on is beyond me :lol:

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 20:23
"I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in the right order, as they should be..." :D

:rfl: :rfl: :rfl:

Jonboy
19-08-2013, 20:23
i always have to have the volume on an even number and when i fill up with fuel i always make sure that pump amount is on an even number :D

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 20:25
when i fill up with fuel i always make sure that pump amount is on an even number :D

My wife suffers from this ailment... So I always put £**.01 when it's my turn to put the petrol in :lol:

Roy S
19-08-2013, 20:32
I do the keys/phone/wallet thing about six times before I leave the house & always check the car's all locked up about three times before I leave it (no central locking). Vinyl's in alphabetical order but CDs aren't :scratch:

Thing Fish
19-08-2013, 20:32
My wife suffers from this ailment... So I always put £**.01 when it's my turn to put the petrol in :lol:

I always round up to the nearest £. The nozzle feathering that goes on when it reaches £*.90 is laughable.

walpurgis
19-08-2013, 20:33
My wife won't even use a public toilet... How she holds on is beyond me :lol:

Where the hell do you find a public toilet? They've all but vanished.

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 20:35
Vinyl's in alphabetical order but CDs aren't :scratch:

Now that is confusing :doh:

pjdowns
19-08-2013, 20:36
I always round up to the nearest £. The nozzle feathering that goes on when it reaches £*.90 is laughable.

Yep, which is the same I suppose when I get it up to £*.01 :lol:

Rare Bird
19-08-2013, 22:10
Where the hell do you find a public toilet? They've all but vanished.

Aye all but the ones that you have to pay to use

Barry
19-08-2013, 22:22

Absolutely not - I do it, regardless of cartridge/stylus I'm using. And if you use a Decca cartridge it's mandatory!

Joe
19-08-2013, 22:23
It's very relaxing being a sloppy git. Sometimes I can't find a particular record, but a good rummage round often results in the rediscovery of a forgotten gem.

Clive197
19-08-2013, 22:25

^ :eek: I'd be climbing the wall if i saw that

OMG, I thought I was the only person to do that.

Barry
19-08-2013, 22:31
No you're not the only one - see post 22.

The Grand Wazoo
19-08-2013, 22:46
Actually......there may be quite a few of us!

Rare Bird
19-08-2013, 22:52
We ought to have an OCD get together. Bring your spirit levels tho..

Anyone do the all in line food can labels in the kitchen cupboard? :eyebrows:

Roy S
19-08-2013, 22:57

Well you need to see what you've got in (also comes from 'bottling up' in my uncle's pub where all the labels were supposed to face outwards)

Rare Bird
19-08-2013, 22:59
I can't help myself in the supermarket with the out of line cans :lolsign:

The Grand Wazoo
19-08-2013, 23:00
Hah!!

walpurgis
19-08-2013, 23:40
I used to be obsessed with whether I had OCD. :)

Trumpton_Rioter
20-08-2013, 05:43
I also like to tidy up leaflets etc that are on a desk - I was in the doctors surgery the other day and there were a load of leaflets all messed up and after I had squared them all together the receptionist looked at me as if I was crazy :scratch:

Barry
20-08-2013, 09:15
We ought to have an OCD get together. Bring your spirit levels tho..

Yes I do.

Joe
20-08-2013, 09:21

Certainly not! It's a new adventure every time I look in there. I believe a tin of pineapple chunks from the '90s lurks at the back, but it's too dark to see.

clap
20-08-2013, 10:49
You lot need to get a grip.

Rare Bird
20-08-2013, 11:21
We have got a grip that's why we are like we are.. ;)

pjdowns
20-08-2013, 13:12

here here :D

Trumpton_Rioter
20-08-2013, 13:15

we also have to keepp changing it every 5.249365903257492645294s seconds because its not exactly how we want it and if we dont then something bad will happen to the hi-fi - like it will start sounding a gazillion times better after putting in a super dooper, cryogenically frozen gold/titanium mix fuse

Puffin
20-08-2013, 13:17
here here :D

where where?

pjdowns
20-08-2013, 13:20
where where?

:rolleyes: :ner:

Puffin
20-08-2013, 13:21
I'm telling my mum now.

pjdowns
20-08-2013, 13:24
I'm telling my mum now.

Mummies boy, mummies boy ;)

synsei
20-08-2013, 14:55
:rfl:

Thing Fish
20-08-2013, 16:03
I tend to favor all things even. Odd numbers of things are generally not my friend...:eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
20-08-2013, 17:40
OK - a question because I'm genuinely interested in this:

If you open a cupboard full of untidy tins (or see a waiting room table with untidy leaflets, or whatever it is that sets your OCD muscles twitching) and you feel compulsion to sort it out, how does it make you feel? Are you angry or anxious or does it spin you into some other state?

pjdowns
20-08-2013, 17:43

If you open a cupboard full of untidy tins (or see a waiting room table with untidy leaflets, or whatever it is that sets your OCD muscles twitching) and you feel compulsion to sort it out, how does it make you feel? Are you angry or anxious or does it spin you into some other state?

For me Chris it really depends on the scenario... but usually I feel wound up, approaching stressed out if I just leave it... A good example for me was my wife had some sawing manuals that were in the cupboard in a mess for about a month... it drove me to distraction to the point where I had to get them out one evening and sort them into month / number order... it was just continually playing on my mind until I did something about it!

Trumpton_Rioter
20-08-2013, 17:51

Its waiting room table/counter/stand holder with leaflets in/on that sets me off - I dont understand how people can leave it like that and it winds me up, after all it doesnt take much to make them look neat and tidy.

I always feel much better after tidying them up even if I do get funny looks

Thing Fish
20-08-2013, 18:14

I'm actually ok with a public situation. It's only really my personel envoroment that effects me. I suppose it's because I can control it easier.

I never really get angry but irritated. It eats away at me until I tidy/clean it up. Then I can relax...:)

That said I can be a bit messy as well. My computer and bed room are a bit untidy but areas that friends see are really clean. Maybe it's how I feel others percieve me that's part of the problem...:scratch:

Rare Bird
20-08-2013, 19:56
Everyones different. I'll just tidy up & never think about people watching me or anything.It kinda like i can't help myself..

The Grand Wazoo
20-08-2013, 23:31
Interesting thanks guys.
I don't think I've got that sort of OCD - Far too disorganised!

pjdowns
21-08-2013, 14:12
Interesting thanks guys.
I don't think I've got that sort of OCD - Far too disorganised!

So what's your type of OCD Chris??

Barry
21-08-2013, 14:19
So what's your type of OCD Chris??

Probably one of insisting that all the trees he has planted are in nice straight and even rows! :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
21-08-2013, 17:04
.....all the trees he has planted are in nice straight and even rows!

Oh, it's worse than that Barry - it extends to weeds too!
Ever seen a book called 'Legal Daisy Spacing'?
It comes with a handy multi-tool.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/badgereye501/legaldaisyspacing001_zps08f8f596.jpg

Rare Bird
21-08-2013, 17:08
Yum yum i like those type of things..