PDA

View Full Version : Dodge For Removing Stuck In Drive Units.

walpurgis
18-08-2013, 22:49
Here's new dodge for removing drive units from cabinets without damage.

If they are held by sticky gaskets or a glue or sealant of some sort, buy a pack of plastic car body filler spreaders. These are quite tough and about 3mm thick. They are wedge shaped at one end. Insert a few between the cabinet baffle (front panel) and stuck drive unit flange and press in very firmly or even give them a light tap with a mallet. The drive unit may release immediately, but if not, tap the spreaders in again after a few hours. Leave overnight and chances are your speaker unit will be freed with no marks on the cabinet woodwork.

I've just recently tried this and it works!

MartinT
18-08-2013, 23:20
Excellent tip - thanks!

Magna Audio
20-08-2013, 11:48
My favourite for getting big Tannoys out is two drills that are perfect diameter fit in the bolt holes. 6mm or 7mm or perhaps 7.5 mm can't remember.
Speakers lying down driver up. Put the drills non cutting end first in to opposing driver mounting holes.
Place towels about the speaker face for protection.
Then take a long lever - birch ply off cut, or long builders level or broom handle and place it between the drills and lever gently one way then the other. Never fails and does not damage the driver recess surface. As long are the drills are a nice engineering fit, and excessive force is not applied, no damage will come to the mounting holes.

Only works on front loaded drivers though.

walpurgis
20-08-2013, 12:43
I do the same!