PDA

View Full Version : New Rega Brio R Amp & DAC owner seeks advice

Stetra21
18-08-2013, 19:29
Good evening all ,
Proud new owner of the above beauties , I was warned to expect around 100 hours burn-in time , but already they're sounding fine with FLAC files and good old CD's.
Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere (I did a quick search) , but could any Rega owners of longer-standing advise me whether upgraded power leads would be a worthwhile purchase ? If so , any recommendations ? , and is it best to get upgraded leads for both , or just the amp ?
Warm regards
Steve

RMutt
18-08-2013, 20:00
I bought a couple of these http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?23883-Bristol-Show-Bargains&highlight=mcru+bristol+show I could never see myself paying much for a mains cable but these were cheap enough for me to try as an experiment. Like others I thought there was a small improvement on the amp ( Rega Mira) maybe real maybe imagined but I thought it an improvement either way. I did not hear an improvement on the DAC (Rega DAC).

DSJR
18-08-2013, 20:01
I'm biased here, but the Mark Grant mains cable, which I use here as a master supply to the distribution block, is around half the price of Rega's own (which is a lower current rating as well) and VERY highly recommended by me. Buy, fit and forget I've found :)

Stetra21
18-08-2013, 20:29
Many thanks for the prompt responses guys , when the systems fully settled in I think I'll try one or the other for the amp at least.

Gazjam
18-08-2013, 20:43
Few of us Rega owners post here Steve.
Good link here.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?23512-A-cable-thread-for-Rega-system-owners&highlight=rega+cable

Cracking bits of kit, enjoy!

Stetra21
18-08-2013, 21:09
That's great Gary , just what I was looking for , many thanks.
ps : Always enjoyed following your experimentation and "Fiddling" over the years !

Stetra21
24-08-2013, 21:44
Evening all ,

I went for the Mark Grant power chord in the end (And treated myself to one of his G1500HD interconnects at the same time).
In the meantime I've added the S-Booster and linear PSU to the Squeezebox , and an MF V-Link II for playback from the laptop.
I was a little sceptical about the Squeezebox upgrade , but it really has moved things on to a new level.
The new system's settling in really well , and everything's starting to gel nicely.
I don't think I've ever heard such good sounds coming from the speakers , this hobby can be great fun !

Best wishes , Steve

hifi_dave
25-08-2013, 09:35
You can expect a small difference changing the mains cables but don't pay large foo prices.

Do you have the full depth DAC with standard IEC mains socket or the previous model with small fugure of 8 socket ?
Good evening all ,
Proud new owner of the above beauties , I was warned to expect around 100 hours burn-in time , but already they're sounding fine with FLAC files and good old CD's.
Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere (I did a quick search) , but could any Rega owners of longer-standing advise me whether upgraded power leads would be a worthwhile purchase ? If so , any recommendations ? , and is it best to get upgraded leads for both , or just the amp ?
Warm regards
Steve

Tim
25-08-2013, 10:28
Do you have the full depth DAC with standard IEC mains socket or the previous model with small fugure of 8 socket ?
Have the changed the DAC David? I must admit I find the size difference between the two boxes (Brio-R & DAC) a strange choice and cosmetically annoying if they are on show on top of a sideboard for instance.

Stetra21
25-08-2013, 11:53
You can expect a small difference changing the mains cables but don't pay large foo prices.

Hi Dave ,
I have the newest DAC model with the IEC socket.Having changed the mains cable on the Rega amp I believe there's been an improvement , with everything sounding a little smoother all round. Of course I accept it could be a placebo effect , but what the hell , I'm happy !
Best wishes , Steve

RMutt
25-08-2013, 12:03
Interesting that Rega changed the connector. I remember discussing a little while back that Rega appeared to have designed out their own upgrade cable and whether or not they felt, in that case, whether the cable option was worthwhile. Well they've designed it back in again now it would seem.

RichB
25-08-2013, 15:09
Still quite happy using my DIY clones for mains and ICs. Not heard owt better really. Gaz and others did quite a bit of research on this. Still can't bring myself to part with TQ money though.

hifi_dave
25-08-2013, 16:00
Have the changed the DAC David? I must admit I find the size difference between the two boxes (Brio-R & DAC) a strange choice and cosmetically annoying if they are on show on top of a sideboard for instance.

They changed the case and mains socket 3-4 months ago. In some markets it is difficult to sell half width products and half width with 2/3 depth is really pushing it. So, they started fitting the full depth case and then had space for the IEC socket. I believe they thought the smaller casework would better suit those using just a computer in the system.