PDA

View Full Version : Troublesome on Switch on Yamaha CR200

dantheman91
16-08-2013, 20:27
Hello,

Picked up a Yamaha CR 200 today but the on switch does not seem to work. When the amp is plugged it the power is ON. Is there a way to fix it or should i get it looked over by an engineer. Is it safe to use or Just leave it till its fixed.

Thanks
Dan

istari_knight
16-08-2013, 21:40
Hi Dan, If I understand correctly: When plugged in the power switch has no affect - IE Its always ON no matter what ? I have seen the contact suppression capacitor across the power switch terminals to go short circuit on these old Yamaha's causing that exact fault... It needs to be replaced with one of these : http://www.maplin.co.uk/contact-suppressor-498

Simple job, just unsolder the old one & solder in the new one. Personally I wouldn't use it until that part has been replaced or at the very least removed [Its there to stop the power switch contacts from arcing which significantly lowers life expectancy of the switch.]

DSJR
16-08-2013, 22:36
Depending on the age of the unit, check carefully the mains cable, which used to be a fig 8 lighting flex type with no external casing. Any sign of insulation fatigue should be dealt with by replacing the cable IMO..

Nice indeed, but slightly underpowered little unit this :)

dantheman91
17-08-2013, 05:23
Hi Dan, If I understand correctly: When plugged in the power switch has no affect - IE Its always ON no matter what ? I have seen the contact suppression capacitor across the power switch terminals to go short circuit on these old Yamaha's causing that exact fault... It needs to be replaced with one of these : http://www.maplin.co.uk/contact-suppressor-498

Simple job, just unsolder the old one & solder in the new one. Personally I wouldn't use it until that part has been replaced or at the very least removed [Its there to stop the power switch contacts from arcing which significantly lowers life expectancy of the switch.]

Hi

Thanks James i would have no idea where to start. Do you think my local engineer could do it he has 30+ years experience in repairing Hi-Fi. Its a nice little unit i wasnt going to use it as it is.

Could you direct me to the power switch terminals i have no idea i maybe able to borrow an iron

dantheman91
17-08-2013, 05:24
Depending on the age of the unit, check carefully the mains cable, which used to be a fig 8 lighting flex type with no external casing. Any sign of insulation fatigue should be dealt with by replacing the cable IMO..

Nice indeed, but slightly underpowered little unit this :)

Hi Dave

1977 Vintage its a nice unit. I think its best to send it away to be checked over ETC

istari_knight
17-08-2013, 14:37
Hi

Thanks James i would have no idea where to start. Do you think my local engineer could do it he has 30+ years experience in repairing Hi-Fi. Its a nice little unit i wasnt going to use it as it is.

Could you direct me to the power switch terminals i have no idea i maybe able to borrow an iron

No worries, yeah any competent engineer should be able to sort it out in 5 mins.

Power switch with the faulty capacitor is circled in red...

dantheman91
17-08-2013, 17:15
Hi

Excellent Thank you.

Do i need to take the whole switch out to unsolder & connect the new supressor

istari_knight
18-08-2013, 00:33
If your not used to soldering in tight spaces it would be advisable to remove it first to prevent damage to surrounding wires etc.

First, remove cover & then the knobs [the tuning knob may have a set screw] now unscrew the Philips screws along the top & bottom of the faceplate then carefully pull the faceplate away from the chassis this will reveal the power switch that will be mounted to the steel chassis with a couple of Philips screws. The switch should then be free.

The switch & capacitor will look like this :

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Yamaha-CR-2020-Stereo-Receiver-Amp-Parts-ON-OFF-POWER-SWITCH-/00/s/NjcwWDExMTg=/z/CVoAAOxyMxpRw3jW/$T2eC16NHJFoE9nh6nPsGBRw3jWuVJQ~~60_35.JPG

dantheman91
18-08-2013, 06:26
If your not used to soldering in tight spaces it would be advisable to remove it first to prevent damage to surrounding wires etc.

First, remove cover & then the knobs [the tuning knob may have a set screw] now unscrew the Philips screws along the top & bottom of the faceplate then carefully pull the faceplate away from the chassis this will reveal the power switch that will be mounted to the steel chassis with a couple of Philips screws. The switch should then be free.

The switch & capacitor will look like this :

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Yamaha-CR-2020-Stereo-Receiver-Amp-Parts-ON-OFF-POWER-SWITCH-/00/s/NjcwWDExMTg=/z/CVoAAOxyMxpRw3jW/$T2eC16NHJFoE9nh6nPsGBRw3jWuVJQ~~60_35.JPG

Hi

Thanks James,

Seems you knowledge is implacable

So the cap is located on the back of the switch??

istari_knight
18-08-2013, 12:37
It will be soldered to the terminals at the back of the switch yes. Its not uncommon for the capacitor to bent to the side of the switch when in situ.

dantheman91
19-08-2013, 10:45
Hi James,

I'm going to upload an image of the switch to see if its doable. Will PM on further info

istari_knight
19-08-2013, 16:24
PM replied to :)