PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge upgrade wanted

pzblues
15-08-2013, 15:52
Hi all, i am looking to try to upgrade the cartridge/stylus on my pro-ject debut 3, at present it is fitted with the ortofon om5e which is ok but i'm pretty sure i could do better, let me know if you have anything

Thanks
pz

worrasf
15-08-2013, 16:10
Hi Karen

I have a REGA Carbon and a Dynavector 10x5 that I'm not using.

The REGA has about 5 hours on it and the DV about 100. Both in perfect condition with OEM boxes.

Steve

pzblues
15-08-2013, 17:06
Hi and thanks for the reply, i'm not familiar with either of those tbh, are they a compatible fit for my project, are they a significant upgrade and what is a OEM box

Regards

Hi Karen

The REGA has about 5 hours on it and the DV about 100. Both in perfect condition with OEM boxes.

Steve

chelsea
15-08-2013, 17:12
Hi,
i have a ortofon 530 mk2 used only on 4 or 5 albums.
£140 with next day postage.

julesd68
15-08-2013, 17:46
are they a compatible fit for my project

Hi Karen,

You might want to check out the 'cartridge resonance evaluator' on Vinyl Engine tools section to check out compatability of potential new carts ...

Can't post a link as links to that site never work for some strange reason ...

Plastic Spinner
26-09-2013, 22:24
Hi Steve

Apologies if this counts as a hijack...am new to all this forum stuff.

I might be interested in your Dynavector 10x5, if Karen's not and it's still available.

Would you still be prepared to let it go?

Cheers
Pete

struth
26-09-2013, 22:52
Hi and thanks for the reply, i'm not familiar with either of those tbh, are they a compatible fit for my project, are they a significant upgrade and what is a OEM box

Regards

OEM is original equipment manufacturer box.:)
I just upgraded to an ortophon 2m red and am happy with it....nice cart and fairly easy to fit....

Lee Henley
27-09-2013, 11:45
PM sent

DSJR
27-09-2013, 14:49
The Debut III is a beer-budget deck with a steel platter as standard, which may preclude some cartridges being used with it!

The OM5 could have a 20 stylus fitted (a 30 or 40 may be over-egging the pudding), but any of the ones mentioned would offer a sonic improvement to the OM5, which is a bit scrappy sounding.

The Rega Carbon is basically an AT91, which sounds superb in a better deck than the groove-grinders it used to be fitted to in past years. Big bass, lovely midrange and pleasant and NEVER harsh treble, it covers its tracks very very well and never draws attention to itself.

I believe modern Debut III's come with the Ortofon 2M Red and this combination works very well indeed I'm told by a thrilled user...

Oldpinkman
27-09-2013, 15:03
The Debut III is a beer-budget deck with a steel platter as standard, which may preclude some cartridges being used with it!

The OM5 could have a 20 stylus fitted (a 30 or 40 may be over-egging the pudding), but any of the ones mentioned would offer a sonic improvement to the OM5, which is a bit scrappy sounding.

The Rega Carbon is basically an AT91, which sounds superb in a better deck than the groove-grinders it used to be fitted to in past years. Big bass, lovely midrange and pleasant and NEVER harsh treble, it covers its tracks very very well and never draws attention to itself.

I believe modern Debut III's come with the Ortofon 2M Red and this combination works very well indeed I'm told by a thrilled user...

Dave
Do you know what the compliance of that cartridge is - I could find nothing on Rega site- but I assume it is fairly stiff because it has a fairly high tracking force and they often go together. The Project appears to have a fairly low effective mass arm so it may not be a complete match made in heaven.

pzblues
28-09-2013, 06:21
Hi and thanks for all the reply's/offers, i have decided to buy an ortofon 2m red cart so am now all sorted as they say, thanks again to all...

Kaz

DSJR
28-09-2013, 10:44
Dave
Do you know what the compliance of that cartridge is - I could find nothing on Rega site- but I assume it is fairly stiff because it has a fairly high tracking force and they often go together. The Project appears to have a fairly low effective mass arm so it may not be a complete match made in heaven.

I don't know the figures, but the Carbon likes 1.75g or so and despite the conical stylus, tracking is clean and stable on end of side sibilants. Addingmore weight muddies up the sound some of us found here. The Debut III arm isn't as low mass as the one in the Debut II I think, so I wouldn't worry. The 2M Red is perfect I reckon :)