PDA

View Full Version : any runners out there?

Trumpton_Rioter
15-08-2013, 06:01
Any runners out there?

I am going to start as a means to lose some weight/keep it off. I used to be fairly fit when I was 20-25ish when I was kick boxing but then had to stop after a car accident. Subsequently I didn’t get back into it and I started putting on the weight with a combination of beer and food.

I have done some googling but figured maybe the best advice would be from people who are active runners now.

Any advice/suggestions/tips etc?

MikeMusic
15-08-2013, 06:56
Any runners out there?

I am going to start as a means to lose some weight/keep it off. I used to be fairly fit when I was 20-25ish when I was kick boxing but then had to stop after a car accident. Subsequently I didn’t get back into it and I started putting on the weight with a combination of beer and food.

I have done some googling but figured maybe the best advice would be from people who are active runners now.

Any advice/suggestions/tips etc?

Take it easy to start with. Maybe a cross trainer or a bike
Run on grass or ground rather than pavement or road
I had to stop running because of my knees. The impact was too much.
Build up slowly. Go for a fast walk and if that is ok build up.
I've heard too many stories of people trying it once, too far and being crippled for a couple of days when the muscle complained.
I've been toying with the idea of running and have done the odd 50 yards or so walking the dogs. So far the knees are ok

Trumpton_Rioter
15-08-2013, 07:42
Thanks mike, that is pretty much the advice on the old 'tinternet.

I will deffo be taking it easy otherwise Iwill be :comatose:

I will see how things go

MikeMusic
15-08-2013, 08:39
Thanks mike, that is pretty much the advice on the old 'tinternet.

I will deffo be taking it easy otherwise Iwill be :comatose:

I will see how things go

Yes the big big thing is to start easy.
That's exactly how I do almost everything
Drives her indoors nuts sometimes, her being the "jump in first and see if you drown or not".
I started to push myself a bot on the bike recently.
Odd how it affected different parts of the body, thighs giving some grief while pushing, then breathing, but perhaps most importantly, I have some minor knee muscle aches from whatever it is top and inside of the knee that happen much later

You will also have the impact so keep on soft ground

Puffin
15-08-2013, 10:03
I did a lot of running in the early 80's as a result of the then jogging craze. Was wearing the wrong shoes and buggered my left knee. It has never been right since. I took up cycling about 20 years ago and find this is just the job for me. It is non-weight bearing and shouldn't bugger your knees. In fact when I had the problem with the ligaments in my knee I was advised by the GP to cycle to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint.

I find that you can burn calories as easily and you can get a lot further than you can running:)

Trumpton_Rioter
15-08-2013, 10:09
I did a lot of running in the early 80's as a result of the then jogging craze. Was wearing the wrong shoes and buggered my left knee. It has never been right since. I took up cycling about 20 years ago and find this is just the job for me. It is non-weight bearing and shouldn't bugger your knees. In fact when I had the problem with the ligaments in my knee I was advised by the GP to cycle to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint.

I find that you can burn calories as easily and you can get a lot further than you can running:)

I did have a bike but didnt feel safe on the roads back then. I now live in a quieter part so if I cant get on with the running lark may think about this (excersise bike for indoors is out of the question due to lack of space)

Thanks for the input anyway

Audio Al
15-08-2013, 10:33
I have had to do a runner on more than one occasion :lol:

MikeMusic
15-08-2013, 10:44

More or less what happened to me.
Knee wrecked in Aikido. Advised to build up the muscles either side - Cycling is perfect and enjoyable too !

Trumpton_Rioter
15-08-2013, 11:57

Practice makes perfect

pjdowns
15-08-2013, 17:02

What you too?... it's those pesky Police that get me... they don't seem to like it when you are naughty so you have to flee :lolsign:

synsei
15-08-2013, 17:20
Whenever I spot the name of this thread in the forum list I keep substituting 'runners' for 'rumours'. I worry for my sanity... :scratch: :lol:

pjdowns
15-08-2013, 17:33
Whenever I spot the name of this thread in the forum list I keep substituting 'runners' for 'rumours'. I worry for my sanity... :scratch: :lol:

Sounds like you're losing it Dave :lol:

Trumpton_Rioter
15-08-2013, 17:34

Rumours can prompt runners in some cases

Rare Bird
19-08-2013, 13:19
I thought this was a Logan's Run thread at first glace.. o well :D