PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Lenco GL75

Soulman
09-08-2013, 20:22
Well looks like I've gone from one project (technics SL-1210mk2) to two with the purchase of a GL75. What is the best route for budge upgrades on the Lenco and what are the best budget arm choices (rega rb300, jelco st250).

Looks like a plinth is needed so will either do one myself or buy one.

The Grand Wazoo
09-08-2013, 20:34
Excellent!
Clean the underside of the platter.
Check that the idler wheel is in good condition and properly aligned.
Damp the idler wheel arm with some PTFE tape.

That stuff is pretty much cost free.

The next thing I'd do is to get yourself 'Joel's Kit' to service the main bearing. That's about £30. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOEL-S-KIT-LENCO-L70-L72-L75-L77-L75-/290956681153?pt=FR_LC_TV_Son_Home_Cinema_Platines_ Vyniles&hash=item43be5e9fc1)
Some folks like the original arm and that can be rejuvenated pretty cheaply if you're of that disposition.
I think a Linn arm will fit in the old hole. A Rega or most other arms need to be mounted in a different position, which means hacking up the top plate (bad in my opinion) or rotating it 90 degrees, which doesn't look as mad as it sounds.

mido
10-08-2013, 05:20
Well looks like I've gone from one project (technics SL-1210mk2) to two with the purchase of a GL75.

:lol: I like your style!! :thumbsup:

John
10-08-2013, 05:57
If you search on Lenco Heaven you can find recommendations for arms as Chris says the Linn is a direct fit

Jonboy
10-08-2013, 08:52
Good stuff, look forward to seeing it all done

DiveDeepDog
10-08-2013, 10:49
Arm options are numerous.
There are so called drop in replacements with the same geometry, but there's often a fiddle to get correct VTA and/ or problems with fitting collars
You can enlarge/cut out the corner for other arms.
Spin the motor 90º and fix the arm to a plinth (my favourite).

I've replaced the V blocks in in one of my standard arms, but its still not great.

MCRU
10-08-2013, 12:27
If you can't be arsed doing it yourself send it to Dominic at north west analogue, he does not charge silly money and does a superb job.

Thing Fish
10-08-2013, 12:34
Check out 'Lenco Heaven' There is more helpful info on there than you can shake a stick at...:)

The gallery section has some great finished plinth projects to give you some inspiration.

MCRU
10-08-2013, 13:31
Check out 'Lenco Heaven' There is more helpful info on there than you can shake a stick at...:)

The gallery section has some great finished plinth projects to give you some inspiration.

From this:-

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/ADS/gl75_zps5a150f79.jpg

to this:-

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/Turntable%20Pics/IMAG0935_zpsc0a98d3d.jpg

Ammonite Audio
11-08-2013, 10:34
What's the black ring covering the lower part of the platter made of? My Lenco (festering in a box, in bits for years) may just end up as a PTP project, but the raised platter does normally look rather tatty - your looks really good.

MCRU
11-08-2013, 10:38
Its a cnc turned rubber ring and yes you are right there are 4 holes in the platter which look ugly when its raised so most people use o-rings to hide it, being a plastics engineer I had a rectangular endless ring made instead.

Soulman
11-08-2013, 11:36
Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like I might be busy this winter. At the moment I'm favouring turnin the deck 90 degrees and fitting a second hand rb300 into a home made plywood plinth. Should all be doable for £200 and see where we go from there...

Soulman
15-08-2013, 07:27
It arrived yesterday whilst I was out so only had a brief look, no mains plug so need to sort that, drooping rear stub, broken lid (which I knew about) and a knackered stylus. Rest of it looks clean and I think it's ok for the £62 I paid including delivery?

Wow is this thing heavy, I may try and get it set up with a AT-95E later and see how it sounds.

walpurgis
15-08-2013, 08:04
£62 for a working example is OK.

I know there are people who use the L75 arm, but in my view it is a very limiting factor. Personally, I'd bin it and look for something better. You can fit just about any other arm. If I was rebuilding one of these turntables today, I'd cut out the section of top plate where the arm fits and weld a new bit of plate in, cut a hole for the replacement arm and re-enamel the whole thing, but I realise that's beyond many.

Soulman
15-08-2013, 09:10
I could fillet braze a section but enamelling is beyond me. I will probably turn the top plate 90 degrees and have a place for swappable armboards

walpurgis
15-08-2013, 15:52
I know rotating the TT through 90 degrees is popular, but just remember, this puts the speed change right by your fragile and expensive stylus, all too easy to knock the cantilever off. It also means that you'll need a pretty big plinth. If you do this you need to be sure the arm won't end up too far away from the TT centre.

Soulman
15-08-2013, 16:27
Can't you rotate it the other way? Put the speed change back left and on/off front left?

Soulman
15-08-2013, 22:53
Well it makes msic, theres a bit of a rumble and its mono, all the speeds check out which must be a god thing. I'm going to put it away until after my holdays when I'll start to delve a little deeper....

walpurgis
15-08-2013, 23:06
There shouldn't be rumble, the main bearing may be dry in which case it's best to lube it before using it again. Check to see if the brake is rubbing, that could cause noise. The speeds are adjustable via the lock screws on the speed changer, you use a strobe disc to reset.

You may find the 'Lenco Heaven' link useful: http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=1929.0

walpurgis
16-08-2013, 21:21
Oh and if you want to take the platter off, don't forget to undo the retaining screw on the side of the main bearing first. Also when you refit the platter do it slowly or the plastic cap at the bottom of the bearing may blow off releasing oil.

Soulman
16-08-2013, 22:35
Traced the rumble to tight transit screws, forgot to check them. It's a metal 5 hole idler and is now totally silent, I roughly setup an AT-95E in it this evening and it made proper music, even with a dodgy tonearm and £30 cartridge:mex:

The Grand Wazoo
16-08-2013, 22:44
Platter removal

......if you want to take the platter off, don't forget to undo the retaining screw on the side of the main bearing first.

Eh?
Naah, just give the spindle a tap with a lump of wood or a rubber mallet as someone else lifts the platter edges.

Soulman
21-08-2013, 06:54
I'm looking at the Jelco arms as a replacement for the standard arm, either a 250st or possibly a 750d. The first is a direct replacement but the 750d looks o be a real step up and allows easy cartridge swapping.

Anybody got any thoughts and would it be easy to fit the 750d as it is 3mm longer?

MCRU
24-08-2013, 22:31
I'm looking at the Jelco arms as a replacement for the standard arm, either a 250st or possibly a 750d. The first is a direct replacement but the 750d looks o be a real step up and allows easy cartridge swapping.

Anybody got any thoughts and would it be easy to fit the 750d as it is 3mm longer?

the 750d is much better, it should fit ok, this is a 12" Jelco on my Lenco (well its technically not mine now as sold it 3 hours ago)

dominic at NWA is yer man when it comes to fettling lencos (and garrrards)

here is his handywork

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/Turntable%20Pics/IMAG0935_zpsc0a98d3d.jpg

Soulman
26-08-2013, 14:22
Bought a revolver super arm from eBay for a pittance yesterday, should be a straight drop in with a 3mm thick shim. Give it a whirl and see how it goes...

The Outcast
27-08-2013, 21:57
Well looks like I've gone from one project (technics SL-1210mk2) to two with the purchase of a GL75. What is the best route for budge upgrades on the Lenco and what are the best budget arm choices (rega rb300, jelco st250).

Looks like a plinth is needed so will either do one myself or buy one.

I am using a Linn Basik+ om mine and it's cracking. tracks laike a blood hound with me 2M blue. Dropped straight in there too, no p.....g about.

AlfaGTV
28-08-2013, 19:36
Outcast, does the Linn jobbie drop down low enough to allow decent VTA?
Hav tried a Pro-Ject 9CC on mine, but i cant lower it enough... :(

Same lenght and drop in fitting though...
Regards Mike

The Outcast
29-08-2013, 05:33
It does indeed Mike.
Outcast, does the Linn jobbie drop down low enough to allow decent VTA?
Hav tried a Pro-Ject 9CC on mine, but i cant lower it enough... :(

Same lenght and drop in fitting though...
Regards Mike

Spur07
13-09-2013, 07:57
Platter removal

Eh?
Naah, just give the spindle a tap with a lump of wood or a rubber mallet as someone else lifts the platter edges.

chris is right, don't remove the platter by unscrewing the retaining screw on the bearing - the weight of the platter can distort the spindle. tap the platter with a wooden spoon/back of a screwdriver whilst pulling the platter upwards with the tips of your fingers, you may need an extra pair of hands. if the platter hasn't been removed in a while it may be a bit stiff