PDA

View Full Version : Ozark Mountain Daredevil

The Grand Wazoo
05-05-2009, 20:58
OK guys, so I've got an unexplainable urge to buy an album by The Ozark Mtn Daredevils - I don't know why, but I think it's time I found out what they sound like.

Can anyone recommend an album?

........Beechy - your cuppa tea??
........John?

.............help!

Beechwoods
06-05-2009, 05:19
They sound like they should be cool given the Ozark Mountain is in the Appalachians and I love old Appalachian folk music...

You should download and check out Spotify (http://www.spotify.com/en/). It has a stack of their stuff on it to check out.

They ain't old Appalachian country :) They are 'southern fried rock' whatever that is. Think The Eagles, America, Lynyrd Skynyrd...

John
06-05-2009, 06:33
I like Appalachian folk music too and even a bit of Southern rock every now and then but cannot help you out Chris Sorry
I say read as many reviews and then go for the one you like!!
Lets us know how it works out; it might be something I be interested in the future I check them out when I get home tonight no speakers on work computer

The Grand Wazoo
06-05-2009, 07:05
They sound like they should be cool given the Ozark Mountain is in the Appalachians and I love old Appalachian folk music...

They ain't old Appalachian country :) They are 'southern fried rock' whatever that is. Think The Eagles, America, Lynyrd Skynyrd...

Yes, apparently it's a common misconception. I've heard them described as rock with country inflections. So, I'll perhaps have a crack at one album & report back. Watch this space (but not too hard........).

Beechwoods
06-05-2009, 07:22
Rock with country inflections does it, Chris :)

John
06-05-2009, 15:19
I might have a Southern rock themed night maybe a quick listen to Tuesday Gone by LS followed by Blackfoot Highway Song
Neil Young has some intersting views about Southern Men

The Grand Wazoo
06-05-2009, 16:51
I might have a Southern rock themed night maybe a quick listen to Tuesday Gone by LS followed by Blackfoot Highway Song
Neil Young has some intersting views about Southern Men

John, while you're listening to that LS album, give "Gimmee Two Steps" a listen too!

Funnily enough I had a bit of a session with Southern rock at the weekend - 'Second Helping' by LS, 'Bustin' Out' by Pure Prairie League and Rossington Collins Band 'Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere' - maybe that's where I subconsiously got the notion about the Ozark Mtn Daredevils from.........

richardm57
06-05-2009, 20:55
Hi Mr Wazoo,Have dug out 3lps.

Have just listened to them as not played for a long time.

They are not country,well not my country anyway.

The first one IT,LL SHINE WHEN IT SHINES.this has more country intruments than other 2lps and best of the 3 for me, made 1974. some tracks quite laid back sound.

2nd THE CAR OVER THE LAKE ALBUM more mainstream has saxaphone on some tracks,more harmonies.

3rd MEN FROM EARTH even more mainstream even more harmonies and sax. The harmonies get on my nerves after a couple of tracks. This one has my favourit photo cover two farmers.

If you want more countryish try NITTY GRITTY DIRT BAND better for me than ozarks.
or for the best country rock try HANK WILLIAMS JUNIOR
or more bluesy try ROCKIN JIMMY and the brothers of the Night

Happy listening richard

The Grand Wazoo
06-05-2009, 21:00
Thank Richard,
Actually, I'd decided I was going to try the debut or THE CAR OVER THE LAKE ALBUM (maybe both).

I'll report back after a while............

snapper
08-05-2009, 12:11
or more bluesy try ROCKIN JIMMY and the brothers of the Night

Happy listening richard

The only one I have is,'By The Light Of The Moon' and would highly recommend it.

The funky,'Little Rachel',is a top track.

The Grand Wazoo
13-05-2009, 21:05
Wee..........eell Howdy pardners,

Yeeee.......haw!! I just took a ride on the Ebay bronco & roped these suckers!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=360132501938

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=130304220911

I missed the first album on an auction by about 0.000001 of a second & it went for 99p

Now I've got to put up with my friend Marcus at Sugarbush's Inbox blocking emails.

I'll let ya'll know what I think when I've heard 'em folks.

Beechwoods
14-05-2009, 19:31
Ride 'em Cowboy!

The Grand Wazoo
26-05-2009, 12:35
Well, I've now received both of the OMD (surely not) albums & given them both a bit of an old spin.

I was bitterly disappointed to find that I'd bought a copy of 'Ozark Mountain Daredevils', their sixth album from 1980, rather than 'The Ozark Mountain Daredevils', their debut album from 1973 (the one with the quilt on the cover).

Anyway I was happy to discover that I hadn't made a similar mistake with my other purchase 'The Car Over the Lake Album' - hard to do because they never actually tried the 'old trick 'em with the absence/presence of the definite article routine' again.

Anyway, my assessment after giving both albums a whirl is that the Ozarks are/were a pretty unremarkable country rock band. If you pushed me to stick em in a pigeon-hole, it would be one with the more on the country end of the spectrum than on the rock.

Mrs Waz & I both thought, if they had a little more fire in their bellies, they could be quite good - but unremarkable pretty much sums it up, really. The don't seem angry or happy enough about things to inject the amount of passion into their performance that I expect from musicians.

Still, it was an interesting excercise & I've experienced something new. I'll probably hang onto the albums for a while yet. I certainly think I'll be keeping 'The Car Over the Lake Album' for good, simply for it's fab sleeve picture!