PDA

View Full Version : Why does Jazz Loft sound so good?

electric beach
08-08-2013, 14:53
Can anyone enlighten me as to why this internet station sounds so exceptional?

http://jazzloft.de/

I listen through my system via Squeezebox Touch. It doesn't appear compressed to me, always warm, relaxed yet dynamic. I've purchased CDs of artists I've heard here, ripped them and played them back through the Touch via powered hard drive; they don't sound as good and I suspect they use vinyl, but there must be more to it than that.

I haven't found another station on the Touch that even comes close. Music style aside, does anyone have other recommendations of quality stations for me to try?

electric beach
09-08-2013, 15:02
Seriously?

I can't have found the only subject that nobody has an opinion on :doh: :lol:

John
09-08-2013, 15:55
Lol

Spectral Morn
09-08-2013, 15:58
Seriously?

I can't have found the only subject that nobody has an opinion on :doh: :lol:

Thanks for the link - I will stream it off my laptop into my DP777 - no idea what that will be like but we shall see ;)
Never heard of the station but right up my street.

Johnny Lytle - Little Sunflower is playing at the minute - out of my Sony's Vaio's speakers - and wow!!!!!!!

Regards Neil

icehockeyboy
09-08-2013, 16:17
It's alright, but only on par with Smooth Jazz 24/7,
And Smooth Jazz Tampa Bay, both to my ears sound better, but I do admit not being overly keen on the older jazz that the Loft plays.

electric beach
09-08-2013, 19:21
Never heard of the station but right up my street.

It's great Sunday morning, become a bit of a ritual in our house now. Don't think I've had it on more than half a dozen times when I've not found a new artist to check out. My current obsessions that just won't leave the player are Tord Gustavsen/ Changing Places and Anouar Brahem/ The Astounding Eyes of Rita.

There's something about the replay that just gets the musical connection across. They tend to go through half an hour of a particular style, say acoustic guitar then change to chilled piano, then latin, etc.

electric beach
09-08-2013, 19:25
It's alright, but only on par with Smooth Jazz 24/7,
And Smooth Jazz Tampa Bay, both to my ears sound better, but I do admit not being overly keen on the older jazz that the Loft plays.

Thanks, I'll check those out Craig. It depends when you listen to Jazz Loft, I hear a lot of new releases personally. I used to listen to Smooth Jazz all the time a few years back when they started releasing their compilation albums but I went off it and haven't tried lately.

petrat
09-08-2013, 20:03
Jazz Loft is new to me, but I'm already hooked.
Thanks for the link, Steve!

electric beach
10-08-2013, 10:26
Jazz Loft is new to me, but I'm already hooked.
Thanks for the link, Steve!

Your welcome ;)

I'm still intrigued as to why or how the station sounds so - well, I'll say organic, rather than analogue. We're starting to say analogue as being the opposite of digital artificialilty, but my system is digital and natural sounding. However, Jazz loft seems to me to have a tube-like sound and I've already got plenty of those. So do they boost a certain frequency range or something? If so I'd like some of that for my file replay :scratch:

iJoe
10-08-2013, 10:56
Thanks for the link, smooth jazz is my favourite radio station so far but the jingles are getting annoying. Any other recommendations? What do you think of the Linn stations?

icehockeyboy
10-08-2013, 10:57
Thanks, I used to listen to Smooth Jazz all the time a few years back when they started releasing their compilation albums but I went off it and haven't tried lately.

Ah, there are quite a few stations that start with Smooth Jazz, the ones I'm referring to aren't just called that, the name just starts with it, as in Smooth Jazz 24/7 etc. :)

electric beach
10-08-2013, 11:08
I only tried the Linn for a short while, it didn't hook me. I think you have to try them all at a few different time, just like any DJ station there are different people programming.

I even like the Jazz Loft jingle :)

No chatter and no adverts.

Thanks for the link, smooth jazz is my favourite radio station so far but the jingles are getting annoying. Any other recommendations? What do you think of the Linn stations?

icehockeyboy
11-08-2013, 07:31
Have to say Jazz Loft do play a very wide selection of jazz, however, I believe your description of "organic/ analogue" or whatever, seems to be because of a very rolled off top end. :)

electric beach
11-08-2013, 08:35
Sure, could be. But there's also a really strong presence, which is the bit I find appealing. There's nothing wrong with the musical connection, whatever the fidelity constraints or manipulation :)

icehockeyboy
11-08-2013, 08:37
Sure, could be. But there's also a really strong presence, which is the bit I find appealing. There's nothing wrong with the musical connection, whatever the fidelity constraints or manipulation :)

I like a nice shimmering vibrant top end, not in the Monitor Audio sense though! :)

Covenant
18-08-2013, 19:23
What's the URL to stick in squeezebox favourites Steve? http://jazzloft.de/ failed to parse whatever that means.
Have you tried Radio Paradise Naim Exclusive? Excellent quality.

icehockeyboy
19-08-2013, 19:45
Having only been slightly impressed with the Jazz Loft initially, I have to say I am now a total convert!

Fabulously wide range of jazz to suit all tastes of the genre!

cwarchc
25-08-2013, 21:16
I like Jazz Loft, but have you tried http://www.kmhd.org/index.php
I find their music more to my taste