PDA

View Full Version : Chrome woes - "Can't access network"

synsei
07-08-2013, 04:23
I wondered whether other members who use Chrome are also having occasional problems with the browser as described in the title when browsing AoS. Every now and then Chrome will throw a wobbly and go on a work to rule, and when things get real bad it will blank the browser window and replace it with an alert: "Can't access network". When using IE the forum pages refresh slickly and without incident, so why am I not using IE? Well, IE has its own unique issues and I just can't live with them...

Audio Al
07-08-2013, 05:17
Dave , How ofter do you shut down you PC and router / re boot

Before I lost my sanity with PC's This sometimes helped , A clean start

:)

synsei
07-08-2013, 05:51
The lappy runs as sweet as a nut Al, I keep on top of all the 'household chores' so to speak. It appears to be an issue with Chrome or perhaps, and this is a long shot, some compatibility issue between Chrome and AoS as the problem only occurs on this website.

John R Leddy
07-08-2013, 06:26
Dave,

Maybe your browser is working as it should if it is able to display a "Can't access network" page; rather than the operating system showing a "Chrome is not responding" notification, for example.

John.

synsei
07-08-2013, 06:54
Dave,

Maybe your browser is working as it should if it is able to display a "Can't access network" page; rather than the operating system showing a "Chrome is not responding" notification, for example.

John.

The same doesn't occur when using other browsers though John. It is a weird one for sure plus it is a recent problem, it began about three weeks ago.

Beechwoods
07-08-2013, 07:17
Dave, when you say 'Work To Rule' in the run up, what do you mean? Do you have to close the browser to clear the problem? AOS has got a straightforward VB 4.2.1 installation, any compatibility is going to be down to the base version. I'll see if anyone on the VB support forums has experienced what you're describing.

synsei
07-08-2013, 07:44
Hi Chris,

By work to rule I mean it slows down almost to a standstill when trying to access a new page. It doesn't do it all the time just occasionally and sometimes it freaks out throwing up the 'Cannot access network' message. I'm not sure whether it is an issue with Chrome itself or some sort of incompatibility with VB 4.2.1 however it only exhibits this behaviour on AoS. Other forums and websites are not affected at all :scratch:

John R Leddy
07-08-2013, 14:39
The same doesn't occur when using other browsers though John. It is a weird one for sure plus it is a recent problem, it began about three weeks ago.

Sounds like an ideal time to replace Chrome (and all other Google products?) Dave.

"...on a work to rule..." is a great way to describe Chrome. All things Google are banned in this household. We currently use Opera. Have you tried it? Removed Google Search and replaced it with DuckDuckGo.

Used Safari in the past, before it became bloated and slow, just because it looked pretty. Unfortunately I could not find a way to remove Google Search from it, so simply removed the browser instead.

Preferred Mozilla, precursor to Firefox, over Internet Explorer. But then in those days I also seem to remember preferring Red Hat and Debian to Windows, or Windoze as we used to call it. Still have two, maybe three, Debian HDDs.

To me, rightly or wrongly, Google's priority is to glean data, way before deigning to serve their clients.

John.

walpurgis
07-08-2013, 14:55
There's an attractive alternative to Chrome. Comodo Dragon browser, I'm using it and it works just fine. It's derived from Chrome and will feel very similar to use, but seems to have no drawbacks. It can run on your computer alongside Chrome or IE, handy as a backup if your other browser has problems.

Here's a link to a review and safe free download:

http://download.cnet.com/Comodo-Dragon/3000-2356_4-75119680.html?tag=mncol;1

It's worth having a second browser. I had a problem with IE a couple of years ago, it refused to work. That left me with a dilemma, how do you download another browser without a browser?

synsei
07-08-2013, 15:55
I think I have most of the browsers available sitting on my system somewhere Geoff but I admit I've not heard of that one. Thanks for the tip, I will take it out for a test drive ;)

pjdowns
07-08-2013, 19:50
You seriously need a Mac, Dave ;)

synsei
07-08-2013, 20:01
No Paul, really I don't... :eyebrows: ;)

pjdowns
07-08-2013, 20:04
No Paul, really I don't... :eyebrows: ;)

No taste :lol: ;)

synsei
07-08-2013, 20:17
No taste :lol: ;)

I have spent years learning how to use Windows machines and now there are more years behind me than there are to come it would be inconvenient if I were to snuff it in mid......................

GOTCHA!!! :D :cool:

pjdowns
07-08-2013, 20:20
:lol: but that the entire point... You have to spend years learning PC's... Macy's are intuitive and user friendly... Not that I'm at all biased :)

Roy S
07-08-2013, 20:22
No issues with AOS via Chrome here

walpurgis
07-08-2013, 22:10

Last time I had a Mac, I used to wear it in the rain. :)

pjdowns
08-08-2013, 11:24
Last time I had a Mac, I used to wear it in the rain. :)

:rfl: I was waiting for someone to say that :lol:

Audio Al
08-08-2013, 12:45

If I was allowed to say that I would say +1

No mention of fruit from me :sofa:

pjdowns
08-08-2013, 12:48
If I was allowed to say that I would say +1

No mention of fruit from me :sofa:
Wow Al,

We actually agree on something :lol: