PDA

View Full Version : Thea Gilmore - Avalanche - 06/07/13

dantheman91
06-08-2013, 10:44
Hi

I have chosen this album because i would like people on this forum to listen to her she is superb and this album especially is excellent with tracks such as God Knows that track never fails to send shivers down my spine also Julia is great but listen to the whole album and report back i would like to hear your results
This album was brought out in 2003 I have came 2 years ago on an acoustic compilation i would like fellow art of sounders to try it can be picked up cheap on amazon also her other albums are great for any collection.

She is also a fantastic Songwriter this album has power and elements of raw emotion and well recorded by Nigel Stonier also her co writer and husband. if you like rock / folk in the same genre the this albums is for you it was recorded at The Forge, Oswestry; The Loft, Liverpool; Chapel Studios, South Thoresby, Lincs.

I saw her live in Bournemouth last month a truly suburb experience also she loves her fans. When she actually comes down from the stage and sings right in front of you her voice was spin chilling also got to meet her and Nigel i hope the come to Bournemouth again it was her first time in 15 years in her music career

Thanks take a listen im sure its either on groove shark or spotify

Musicians on this album are as follows:

Thea Gilmore – Vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, piano, xylophone, melodica, saw
Nigel Stonier – Producer, programming, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, gut string guitar, bass, keyboards, Moog, Wurlitzer, Rhodes, backing vocals
Robbie McIntosh – Electric guitar, National guitar, backing vocals
Paul Beavis – drums, percussion
Jo Wadeson – Bass
Dave "Munch" Moore – Hammond organ
Mike Cave – Drums, programming, cymbal
Dylan Gallagher – Programming
Dave Hull-Denholm – Backing vocals
Freyja Gilmore – Backing vocals
Oliver Kraus – Cello
Ewan Davies – Musical box

Thanks
Dan

Ashmore
09-08-2013, 21:06
I've given this a couple of listens today courtesy of Spotify and whilst it's all nicely put together I struggled to engage with it. The production is a bit over the top for me and I prefer a more passionate, attacking vocal (iI felt that Avalanche and Heads Will Roll in particular would really benefit from being a bit less tuneful and a lot more aggressive).

4 from me.

Sorry :(

Marco
09-08-2013, 22:22
Isn't the idea that you're supposed to post a poll, asking members to vote what they think of the album out of 10? Clue: there's no poll (or any links to Spotify, etc)... ;)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
09-08-2013, 22:29
Yes, Dan didn't really follow the guidelines on this - the idea is that you submit the post to Album Club by PM and what you supply is done to the format that has been set in previous weeks. Album Club then posts the thread and constructs the poll on your behalf.

Despite being prompted, Dan wanted to do it his way.

dantheman91
11-08-2013, 16:53
Sorry Lads..

I have no clue how to post a poll please go ahead a do one if you wish or delete the thread and start a new one.

dantheman91
11-08-2013, 16:55
I've given this a couple of listens today courtesy of Spotify and whilst it's all nicely put together I struggled to engage with it. The production is a bit over the top for me and I prefer a more passionate, attacking vocal (iI felt that Avalanche and Heads Will Roll in particular would really benefit from being a bit less tuneful and a lot more aggressive).

4 from me.

Sorry :(

Fair but its got to be worth more than a 4.

John
11-08-2013, 16:58
I would only give it a 3 but as not my thing will not vote

The Grand Wazoo
11-08-2013, 21:12
Poll now added - let the voting commence!

Audioman
13-08-2013, 18:48
Have had this album since it was released. At the time I found it somewhat disappointing after the previous 'Rules For Jokers'. Now I remember why as for most part the production is very processed and out of character with Nigel Stonier's work. I think there was an effort to produce a commercial sound and it payed of in that this to date is Thea Gilmore's highest charting album. Not the place to start with Thea I'm afraid. Best try her more recent output if you want to know why she is so highly rated - Regardless, Don't Stop Singing (music to newly discovered Sandy Denny lyrics) and Murphy's Heart. Some good songs but many ruined by the production for me so 6/10. Thea Gilmore is so much better than this.

losenotaminute
26-08-2013, 12:52
Just listened to most of the album. It's not unpleasant, but seems to be lacking something. Maybe it's the tempo or the production, it does seem a bit woolly, but that may be partly down to the bad quality of Spotify compared to vinyl. I prefer Evanescence, more punchy and better drumming. I think it deserves a 5, would be happy to sit and listen but wouldn't go out of my way to buy a copy.

Lawrence

pjdowns
09-09-2013, 22:33
Can't make my mind up on this one Dan... I voted a while ago but overall it has grown on my somewhat!