PDA

View Full Version : Caiman 7520SEG pot alternatives

mkrzych
06-08-2013, 08:37
Hello guys,
I'd like to ask you if you've tried to change the volume pot in your Caiman DAC? AFAIK, the original one is the stock 20kOhm/log pot, am I right?
I've change mine to mini ALPS, but couldn't find the 20k/log in that form factor. Can you recommend any 1:1 option, but with much better quality? Seems that ALPS does not have it.

What I've noticed is the fact, that placing lower resistance volume pot it changed my volume gain in the headphone section as well as in the fixed output also to lower values. It's ok for my Grado cans, but for more hard to drive ones, it may be a problem. Also bass, seems to be less clear.
Do you have any thoughts about it?

Thanks a lot for your help
Krzysztof Maj

mkrzych
06-08-2013, 19:21
Hello guys,
I'd like to ask you if you've tried to change the volume pot in your Caiman DAC? AFAIK, the original one is the stock 20kOhm/log pot, am I right?
I've change mine to mini ALPS, but couldn't find the 20k/log in that form factor. Can you recommend any 1:1 option, but with much better quality? Seems that ALPS does not have it.

What I've noticed is the fact, that placing lower resistance volume pot it changed my volume gain in the headphone section as well as in the fixed output also to lower values. It's ok for my Grado cans, but for more hard to drive ones, it may be a problem. Also bass, seems to be less clear.
Do you have any thoughts about it?

C'mon nobody? For sure someone have changed the pot for better one.

alan47
08-08-2013, 12:41
It doesn't look like it,mate.:confused:

mkrzych
08-08-2013, 12:56
It doesn't look like it,mate.:confused:

Hm, weird, because Stan used in the DAC pretty regular pot and for those guys who want to use Caiman as the pre-amp it is nice to change it to something decent, like ALPS in my case. The only problem is where to find very good quality pot with original parameters?