PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Mains Power Block and Conditioner - with Universal Sockets

Stubies
05-08-2013, 20:54
Hey all

Im looking into power conditioners, happy to buy from MCRU and MarkG but i have only seen ones with UK plugs (i need universal plugs)

Members, MCRU/Mark G if you have one with univeral plugs let me know.

Otherwise, anyone had experience with Xinda Power Conditioners?

I have read some good reviews. I dont see why they have different conditioners for Tube amplifiers (cheaper) and non- Tube. Any ideas?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xxinda +power+conditioner&_nkw=xinda+power+conditioner&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Or anyother recommendation for universal plugged power conditioners??

Thanks!

Oldpinkman
06-08-2013, 06:14
I am on a bit of a mission with mains products. Since nobody has offered me any science as to how they work, nor any objective repeatable test evidence that they do regardless of the apparent science that they can't. See my englishman abroad thread.

If you are able to evaluate them objectively, and believe that is repeatable, I would be really interested in either a demonstration, or a good lead as to what mains product I should try ,and where to use it in my system to prove I am wrong.

Thanks. Richard

MikeMusic
06-08-2013, 07:08
I am on a bit of a mission with mains products. Since nobody has offered me any science as to how they work, nor any objective repeatable test evidence that they do regardless of the apparent science that they can't. See my englishman abroad thread.

If you are able to evaluate them objectively, and believe that is repeatable, I would be really interested in either a demonstration, or a good lead as to what mains product I should try ,and where to use it in my system to prove I am wrong.

Thanks. Richard
I think I've seen the science somewhere, possibly not
I've had first hand experience of a horrid sounding system improved immensely by mains improvements.
A few times there were improvements that I had to go and ask the sparky working on our house what he had done - if anything. Each time he had changed something. I'll take a peak at your other thread
I regard mains as the place to start. Seems logical and often cheap

Seen your other thread.
Not sure what the question is on mains there.
Here it seems to be is there scientific proof. I don't have any.
I have my ears and I know for sure the mains improvements I put in or had put in without my knowledge improved the system sound every time, sometimes considerably

MCRU
06-08-2013, 07:27
Hi
I have a brand new black rhodium 8 gang mains block with USA sockets wired with 2 metres of their excellent jazz cable (4mm thick wires)

RRP is £350.00 you can have it for £250, the cable can have any plug of your choice on the end, schuko, usa, uk etc etc

the photo shows uk sockets but the one I have has usa sockets

here are the details (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/mains-extention-products/296-black-rhodium-dct-power-block.html#)

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/632-thickbox_default/black-rhodium-dct-power-block.jpg

Oldpinkman
06-08-2013, 07:42
I think I've seen the science somewhere, possibly not
I've had first hand experience of a horrid sounding system improved immensely by mains improvements.
A few times there were improvements that I had to go and ask the sparky working on our house what he had done - if anything. Each time he had changed something. I'll take a peak at your other thread
I regard mains as the place to start. Seems logical and often cheap

Seen your other thread.
Not sure what the question is on mains there.
Here it seems to be is there scientific proof. I don't have any.
I have my ears and I know for sure the mains improvements I put in or had put in without my knowledge improved the system sound every time, sometimes considerably

Thanks Mike. I appreciate a response. I also appreciate your sincerity. And you are an extra-special friend for preventing my gramophone needle from Arizona from flying all the way back there again whilst I am on holiday. And you clearly are a firm mains camp believer. And not too far from me when I get home (I am going to have a bit of catch-up with work to do in September, but I might be allowed out to play after that). Maybe we could organise a convincing demonstration and I could benefit my system too. I am not out to be an iconoclast - apart from just chatting a bit, attempting some humour, and sharing experiences, I am out to catch up 20 missed years and set up a "final" system in my new house in France, and open to all working suggestions for solutions which really work, within reasonable budget constraints, and domestic ones (Mrs S mans the home furnishings machine gun nest which may limit some of my plans)

I would note that, at least in principal, a mains regenerator is a different prospect from a designer kettle lead. The former, could produce different "improved" mains - the only issue then being whether that matters or not. The latter can only avoid further screwing up what it's already got from the national grid, caravan hook-up, consumer unit, domestic wiring etc.

But thanks for the answer - and maybe can we get together later in the year?

Richard

MikeMusic
06-08-2013, 07:59
A get together is fine. I've been thinking recently how to 'take my system back to the old days
I've also got a mains regenerator as well as Ultimate mains cables and some other tweaks.
I was sceptical about mains and the only reason I tried it was to see if our very own Martin T was talking sense or in need of 'special care' :)
The further I got into it the more I realised this (mains improvement) stuff works
Actually stop there.
The mains improvements I have made and Paul the wonder sparky made are significant. I don't know about other things that I haven't tried so there must be some rubbish with a high price tag lapped up by gullible punters.
Surprises me that Gandy or Randy whatever his name is hasn't been taken up on his 'prove me wrong' with mains cables.
I was saddened to see Feedback in The New Scientist take the pee out of expensive mains cables, detracted from their stance on a few things for me.
Difference between me and them seems to be starting at the same point
That sounds crazy
There we differ as I tried it and they didn't (no need as it's too crazy)
I had arguments in another forum, CIX about this. Guys who had not and never would try it insisted it can't work
Martin and I said we had tried it, we had heard it, we swapped back a few times and we heard it work and we were happy
As my system at home improves there are items dropping off into my little system at work.
Saturday I swapped a mains cable up and I could hardly believe it, but it sounded a big step up. -Now this is me not really paying attention and working at the same time so no really scientific - or maybe it is .........

Stubies
06-08-2013, 21:05
Hi
I have a brand new black rhodium 8 gang mains block with USA sockets wired with 2 metres of their excellent jazz cable (4mm thick wires)

RRP is £350.00 you can have it for £250, the cable can have any plug of your choice on the end, schuko, usa, uk etc etc

the photo shows uk sockets but the one I have has usa sockets

here are the details (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/mains-extention-products/296-black-rhodium-dct-power-block.html#)

Thanks for the offer - i was hoping for one with universal plugs since my kit is mixed UK and EU plugs (not US - though my origin seems to have slipped out of the box...)

Any chance for universal plugs?

Stubies
06-08-2013, 23:13
Richard,

Thought you might appreciate this picture ;)

http://www.audiosmile.com/forum/customavatars/avatar4629_1.gif

Thanks. Richard

MCRU
07-08-2013, 06:39
Thanks for the offer - i was hoping for one with universal plugs since my kit is mixed UK and EU plugs (not US - though my origin seems to have slipped out of the box...)

Any chance for universal plugs?

there is no such thing that I know of

why not use uk sockets and gold plated adapters that fit in the uk socket and allow schuko plugs to be used

better still fit schuko plugs to all your kit then gets rid of those pesky fuses

MikeMusic
07-08-2013, 07:34
there is no such thing that I know of

why not use uk sockets and gold plated adapters that fit in the uk socket and allow schuko plugs to be used

better still fit schuko plugs to all your kit then gets rid of those pesky fuses

I think this has to be the answer

StuN
07-08-2013, 11:24
I think this has to be the answer

I have a box full of decent quality French plugs. PM me if you are interested.