PDA

View Full Version : A finished project and a big thank you.

Thing Fish
05-08-2013, 18:06
A while ago I was debating which plinth to buy regarding my newly acquired GL75 when a kind member of this forum contacted me and offered to build me one as he was going to be shortly starting his own plinth project (I'll let him tell you about that)

Quite frankly I couldn't believe my luck as my DIY skills are roughly on par with a handicapped slug...:lol:

over the next few months we emailed each other to discuss details on how the project should go and what improvements should be attempted and where. The truth is I just agreed to most of what he suggested...:lol:

The person in question is 'phonomac' or Angus. Now let me tell you all that this kind person put a lot of effort into my plinth as you will see from the photo's below and I couldn't be happier. I assembled it today, well 90% of it as I couldn't wait to play it.

It's engineered to perfection with the pan sitting nice and flat on the wood and 6 x hefty bolts drilled through the pan to create nearly one solid object. He also provided lots of other goodies including a spare arm board for a future upgrade.

It's made from MU25 which is apparently 25% denser than stock ply and by god is it heavy...!!! With the stacked platters i'm actually worried about my Target wall shelf staying up... shocked

First up I played my 45rpm Analogue Productions copy of John Coltrane's Blue Train and it was immediately obvious that the sound had tightened up. I'm not too good at describing sound but it just sounded better everywhere. Next I put on Nick Drakes Pink Moon box set and actually heard a couple of extra piano notes that had before been lost in the mix... shocked

The only negative (which isn't one really) is that my deck now exposes records that have been badly mixed. I was disappointed with ELO's Out of the Blue which sounded thin and splashy on the drum side. But those that sound good now sound so much better it's not even funny.

I just have to source some suitable feet and it's pretty much there.

I would like to thank Angus again for his effort and time in providing me with years of enjoyment to come and in taking me to new heights of audio nirvana I never thought possible. Thanks Angus...:cool:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j3MqmqeYhvc/Uf_iTg8hMfI/AAAAAAAACNY/g6YT3fHNAU4/s720/lenco1.jpg
The plinth arrives. It's a thing of beauty.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bwZgrlBgHuM/Uf_iTQk39xI/AAAAAAAACNU/lC2cFTsr54U/s720/lenco2.jpg
With all the extra goodies.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i3M2DBHTphY/Uf_iTTb0r3I/AAAAAAAACNk/rbikNif3Kdw/s720/lenco3.jpg
With the 6 x bolts in place.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-b4Hi5BdvvXQ/Uf_iUij00yI/AAAAAAAACNs/H5daupqzms0/s720/lenco4.jpg
Assembled and playing.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fAFZimxzFKA/Uf_iVe4m-1I/AAAAAAAACN0/U3Kp1wlRbEY/s720/lenco5.jpg
Hope it holds the weight?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Q-AMGJUcMWM/Uf_iVX2-91I/AAAAAAAACN4/U4Ngts4HzvU/s720/lenco6.jpg
Finished with several coats of Danish oil. Gorgeous...:eek:

mido
05-08-2013, 19:17
Looks fantastic mate!! :stalks:

Bet you are well pleased?!!

In the penultimate photo it looks like the deck/shelf is slanting downwards at the front, I hope that's just an optical illusion?!! :eek: :lol:

Idlewithnodrive
05-08-2013, 20:00
That looks amazing Dave; an absolute top job from Angus.

All respect, a real craftsman and obviously a gent to boot.

synsei
05-08-2013, 20:45
It is stories such as this which restore my faith in human nature. A grand job, well done Angus and congratulations Dave, the TT looks fabulous :)

Thing Fish
05-08-2013, 22:10
Looks fantastic mate!! :stalks:

Bet you are well pleased?!!

In the penultimate photo it looks like the deck/shelf is slanting downwards at the front, I hope that's just an optical illusion?!! :eek: :lol:

It's an optical thingy... I hope...:)

The Grand Wazoo
05-08-2013, 22:11
Well done the pair of you - it looks like a TT of serious intent.

Thing Fish
05-08-2013, 22:25
It is Chris. Believe me it is. It's the best turntable i've owned. Even in stock form it blew my LP12/Lingo out of the water. Now it's a giant killer.

walpurgis
05-08-2013, 22:31
It is Chris. Believe me it is. It's the best turntable i've owned. Even in stock form it blew my LP12/Lingo out of the water. Now it's a giant killer.

That doesn't surprise me. I've never heard an LP12 sounding very interesting to me. The more recent ones seem to have what little 'character' there was, tuned out of them. It may be well built, but it's not for me.

Thing Fish
05-08-2013, 22:36
That doesn't surprise me. I've never heard an LP12 sounding very interesting to me. The more recent ones seem to have what little 'character' there was, tuned out of them. It may be well built, but it's not for me.
I had my LP12 for 20 years Geoff and was never really happy with it.

When I bought my Lenco it opened my eyes as to what vinyl could achieve in terms of sound.

I'm just sad I wasted so many years on hype.

I must add the difference was not small but a gaping chasm of sound improvement.

The same can be said of my Naim amps. When I went Croft the difference was very noticeable.

walpurgis
05-08-2013, 22:47
Yes I've had many Lencos and always found them good. My favourites were the G88 and G99, superb TTs and a match for my 401. But things move on and I use something very different now.

Thing Fish
05-08-2013, 22:51
Hi Geoff, I always wanted a 401/301 but the price of them has hit crazy proportions. The small price I paid for my Lenco makes it sound even sweeter...:eyebrows:

walpurgis
05-08-2013, 22:53
Just a thought, Have you used any damping between the steel base plate and the plinth top? The steel plate of the L75 can resonate, few layers of dense craft foam tightly between the plate and the plinth top can damp this. Obviously you need to avoid any mechanism parts.

walpurgis
05-08-2013, 22:58
Hi Geoff, I always wanted a 401/301 but the price of them has hit crazy proportions. The small price I paid for my Lenco makes it sound even sweeter...:eyebrows:

Many years ago I bought a late sixties formica covered Hi-Fi unit because it was advertised locally. It contained a white Garrard 301 with SME arm and Shure V15, a Leak valve tuner and pre-amp and a Stereo 20. All mint, for the sum of £25, which I thought wasn't too bad.

Thing Fish
05-08-2013, 23:03
Just a thought, Have you used any damping between the steel base plate and the plinth top? The steel plate of the L75 can resonate, few layers of dense craft foam tightly between the plate and the plinth top can damp this. Obviously you need to avoid any mechanism parts.

Yes Geoff that has been done. Angus kindly included some. Great chap that he is.

Thing Fish
05-08-2013, 23:04
Many years ago I bought a late sixties formica covered Hi-Fi unit because it was advertised locally. It contained a white Garrard 301 with SME arm and Shure V15, a Leak valve tuner and pre-amp and a Stereo 20. All mint, for the sum of £25, which I thought wasn't too bad.

Words cannot express how much I hate people like you...:lol:

Gazjam
06-08-2013, 13:01
Superb looking turntable, the stacked platters look fantastic.
Top quality work on the plinth, the rounded edges add that touch of class for me...no square boxes here!

Going down the Lenco road real soon myself (have the motor but no plinth) so I guess I'm where you were before.

Whats the record clamp..looks great?

Thing Fish
06-08-2013, 14:35
Superb looking turntable, the stacked platters look fantastic.
Top quality work on the plinth, the rounded edges add that touch of class for me...no square boxes here!

Going down the Lenco road real soon myself (have the motor but no plinth) so I guess I'm where you were before.

Whats the record clamp..looks great?

Yes Gary, I specifically asked Angus to round the edges to match the edges on the Lenco top plate. I think it looks just about right.

The record clamp is a 'Gilabend Bren 1 record clamp' which I bought off fleabay last year.

Keep us posted regarding your Lenco build...:)

Gazjam
06-08-2013, 21:16
Will do Dave,
Have a thread on the Analogue Room..will post updates there.

Looking forward to putting on the platter that matters on the wheel of steel...or something. :)

vinylspinner
06-08-2013, 21:20
There you go Gary....... your Lenco 12 months down the line :) very nice plinth thing Fish, looks great.

Nigel

Marco
09-08-2013, 20:45
Fantastic stuff, Dave. That *really* looks the business!! :stalks: No doubt it sounds fab!

As for the Croft vs. Naim thing, well, I'm not surprised - been there, done that... ;)

Marco.

John
09-08-2013, 21:09
Lovelly looking deck I am sure it sounds great

Thing Fish
09-08-2013, 21:28
Lovelly looking deck I am sure it sounds great

It does sound seriously good John.

Considering I had an LP 12 for 20 years and thought it was the bees knees. It was a revelation to find a 1960/70's deck even without a plinth blew my LP12/Lingo away.

People think I may be kidding but the differences were not small.

Now I have a decent plinth/arm I cant see me changing for another 20 years...:lol:

Anti Meep
10-08-2013, 08:15
Geezuz! Thats gorgeous! Very very nice. Well done! :stalks: