PDA

View Full Version : Cropredy 2013

DanJennings
05-08-2013, 06:10
It's nearly festival time, (it all kicks off on Thursday)

Good lineup this year:

Fairport Convention (obviously)
Alice Cooper
10cc
Levellers
Martin Barre
Kathryn Roberts & Sean Lakeman
Nik Kershaw
Peatbog Fairies
Lunasa
Fake Thackray

Anyone else going?

walpurgis
05-08-2013, 09:40
Sounds awful.

Loads of creaky old hasbeens rehashing what they did years ago that wasn't very good in the first place. At least the Quo won't be there, that would be the coup de grace! :eyebrows:

Barry
05-08-2013, 11:26
Sounds awful.

Loads of creaky old hasbeens rehashing what they did years ago that wasn't very good in the first place. At least the Quo won't be there, that would be the coup de grace! :eyebrows:

Well you certainly live up to your signature Geoff! :lol: Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but as they say "de gustibus non disputandem - suum cuique". ("In matters of taste there is no dispute - each to their own")

The Levellers not very good? Have you heard them?

walpurgis
05-08-2013, 20:03
The Levellers not very good? Have you heard them?

I've heard music by The Levellers, folksy rock doesn't do a lot for me (folksy anything doesn't do much for me, bloody flat earthers, new agers and druids etc. :mental:, they can keep their beads, whistles, woolly hats and dreadlocks). I'd sooner hear some serious hard hitting rock or psy stuff (King Crimson/Shpongle anybody?).

I expect there'll be a rumpus now!

pjdowns
05-08-2013, 20:14
I'd sooner hear some serious hard hitting rock or psy stuff (King Crimson/Shpongle anybody?).

I expect there'll be a rumpus now!

Pff sounds like crap music to me, would prefer to hear Dan's suggestions!! ;)

walpurgis
05-08-2013, 20:35
Pff sounds like crap music to me, would prefer to hear Dan's suggestions!! ;)

Each to their own of course. I'm just on a little wind up really! ;)

Tim
05-08-2013, 20:36
Whatever you do Dan, don't miss The Dunwells or Danny & The Champions of the World. If you should bump into Danny tell him Tim wants to know if he's got is Tedeschi Trucks Band ticket yet - he'll know what you mean ;)

pjdowns
05-08-2013, 20:39
Each to their own of course. I'm just on a little wind up really! ;)

I know. Me too lol ;)

pjdowns
05-08-2013, 20:40
Whatever you do Dan, don't miss The Dunwells or Danny & The Champions of the World. If you should bump into Danny tell him Tim wants to know if he's got is Tedeschi Trucks Band ticket yet - he'll know what you mean ;)

:lol;0:

John R Leddy
05-08-2013, 21:59
Eek!

Fairport Convention created English folk rock.

A tenuous but true connection to King Crimson:

Ian McDonald - saxophone, clarinet, flute, mellotron, keyboards, vibes, vocals, and beefing it into Judy Dyble.

DanJennings
12-08-2013, 17:50
Sounds awful.

I think that's a bit unfair...

10cc I admit are basically a tribute band now (albeit a very good one) that only Graham Gouldman remains, but all the other bands that I feel you are having a pop at (Fairport / Nik Kershaw) were all performing new material, and Alice Cooper is all about the theatricality and spectacle of the stage show.

Anyway, the verdict for Thursday:

Fairport Convention opened the show with a short acoustic set as they have done for a few years now, playing a few favourites old and new, including the Cropredy anthem 'Festival Bell' about the bell that the Cropredy villagers had made in honour of the band.

Fake Thackray was next, and I knew what to expect from him, as he had opened for Fairport on their winter tour in January. As the name suggests, he is a Jake Thackray tribute act, an excellent guitarist and very enthusiastic in his love of the great man. I liked him, but it did make me wish I could see the genuine article as his deep voice and deadpan delivery were greatly missed.

Romeo's Daughter were next. Not my thing at all I'm afraid, sort of generic 70s/80s pop. We nipped out for a stroll round the village when these were on.

Edward II followed, and I wasn't sure about them. Great live performers, playing a sort of folk-reggae.

Thursday ended with the mighty Alice Cooper. What can you say, a true showman, he arrived in a shower of sparks, and over the next hour and a half was at various points beheaded, electrocuted, turned into a giant frankenstein's monster, throwing fake money and diamonds into the crowd. He played a great set full of classics, although he missed out 'Elected' which was a surprise. Oh yes and he did have the snake too!

I'll do Friday another day if anyone's interested