PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Festival thread

losenotaminute
04-08-2013, 18:08
The World's biggest arts festival kicked-off this week, I would be interested to hear any recommendations for musical highlights.

I have a few shows booked already, starting with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra playing Tchaikovsky Symphony No 6 and Fidelio by Opera de Lyon next weekend.

Fidelio (http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/music/eif-fidelio-moves-with-the-times-on-segways-1-3028408) looks like it could be, um, challenging :scratch:

DanJennings
12-08-2013, 18:05
Don't know if you're into that sort of thing , but hiphop artist Scroobius Pip is doing a spoken word show there, and I personally would love to go, but it's a bit of a distance!

This is a promo clip for it:

BuhMV2OI_2Y

losenotaminute
12-08-2013, 22:00
Don't know if you're into that sort of thing , but hiphop artist Scroobius Pip is doing a spoken word show there, and I personally would love to go, but it's a bit of a distance!

This is a promo clip for it:

BuhMV2OI_2Y

Thanks for posting, not really my cup of tea but I might challenge myself. I was also told about the show by a colleague who is going to see it this week, I gather it has got some good feedback.

I've just got back from Fidelio at the Festival Theatre. I don't really have much to say other than the staging ruined it. The cast were behind a transparent screen onto which lots of images were projected, the result being that the singers were obscured and the sound muffled by the screen for the whole performance. The director was boo'd at the end, which I have never seen before.

Lawrence