PDA

View Full Version : How to match output level for blind testing!

purite audio
02-08-2013, 15:37
There is an article on exactly how to level match output for blind testing, it is in the BLOG section of our website.
www.puriteaudio.co.uk

Keith.

Oldpinkman
02-08-2013, 16:15
Very helpful. Nostalgic memories of using a vinyl lp to do the same.

I like the ability to objectively confirm genuine differences in HiFi that blind testing offers. The short A:B - a direct switch back and forth between 2 pieces of equipment being evaluated is obviously important for product development.

But as a buyer, or potential buyer, I am interested in differences that matter to me enough to notice, in a real situation. You need an assistant, but if you can have your whole system in state A on one day, and state B on another day - with the A's and B's picked at random, and the equipment in question concealed - that can help pick important differences.

For example, on a quick jump between the 2 I used to find quite ordinary CD "better" than vinyl. But when I sit down and listened for long, it was fatiguing, and I only ever listened long term to vinyl (before DaCapo).

Again, I can tell the Arcam power amp in my system, and it starts to needle me after a while, although it can be quite impressive for 5 minutes. So whilst the quick A:B is essential in product development, the "soak" test - listening for a day (not a whole 24 hours!! but just listening normally in state A one day, state B the other is good too. Absolute levels shouldn't be so critical then, because I normally listen louder some days than others, or for some records or CD's from others.

Looking for someone to do this with mains cables....

But good to see someone promoting objective evaluations :)