PDA

View Full Version : Album Club Week 104 - 30.07.2013: Le Trio Joubran – Majāz - 2007

Album Club
30-07-2013, 17:25
Many thanks to Barry for this week's Album Club thread.

Album Club Week 104 - 30.07.2013: Le Trio Joubran – Majāz - 2007

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SNeDBrk4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Le Trio Joubran are three brothers: Samir, Wissam and Adnan, descendents from a Palestinian family of oud makers and players going back four generations.

Their mastery of the oud (a North African and Middle Eastern pear-shaped fretless lute) is singular and so is the harmony and the synchronization of their performance On this disc the three brothers are occasionally accompanied on percussion by Youssef Hbeisch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Trio_Joubran

This recording, Majāz, recorded in 2007, is the third of five in the brothers’ output.

EgDucfjDO4c

spotify:album:6bYVfnQq7psGFlF6qSSsTA

Grooveshark: Le Trio Joubran – Majāz (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Majaz/3614788) (9 tracks only)

The recording consists of eleven tracks all, save one, being purely instrumental. As mentioned the oud and the European lute can be considered cousins. With some exceptions, the modern oud has eleven strings. Ten of these strings are paired together in courses of two. The eleventh, lowest string remains single. There are many different tuning systems for the oud. The ancient oud had only four courses, increasing to five by the 9th century. The strings are generally lighter to play than those of the modern guitar.

Unlike the European lute, the oud tends to sound more pensive, reflective and at times possibly mournful. Here Le Trio Joubran with their use of three instruments produce a more sprightly sound, which is reflective, celebratory, evocative but never mournful. Think dappled light through the leaves of the tree in the centre of the courtyard of a North African or Middle Eastern home. Or, of sounds floating out from shuttered windows as the late afternoon sun causes the shadows to lengthen.

This is music to relax to, to delight you, to lift your soul. And best played in the late afternoon, or when you return home from work. Whilst the three brothers play the music with consummate skill, it does not require intense listening or concentration – but neither should it be dismissed as easy listening. It shouldn’t be put on the CD player whilst you are running around doing something else, one should sit down to listen to it (and to create the right atmosphere and mood, listened to with a glass of mint tea [¹]) and relax.

http://www.ocmevents.org/ocm/tools/artworks/showImage;jsessionid=A63D3F6F2968A5D2CC2A5F04A031D 43D?id=1143
(Image: OCM)

How to make (Moroccan) mint tea

The method of preparation of mint tea is relatively complex and varies from region to region. The typical green tea used is a ‘gunpowder’ variety imported from China. A simple and practical method runs as follows:

In a teapot, combine two teaspoons of tea-leaf with half a litre of boiling water. Allow it to steep for at least fifteen minutes.

Without stirring, filter the mixture into a different stainless steel pot, so that the tea leaves and coarse powder are removed.

Add sugar (about one teaspoon for each 100ml glass, or less, dependant on taste).

Bring to boil over a medium heat. This important step in the preparation process allows the sugar to undergo hydrolysis, giving the tea its distinctive taste.

If desired, add fresh mint leaves to the teapot or directly to the cup. Remember to remove the mint within two minutes, as it can give some people acid reflux.

Traditionally the tea is served three times, and the amount of time the tea has been steeping gives each of the three glasses of tea a unique flavor, described in this famous proverb:

Le premier verre est aussi amer que la vie,
le deuxičme est aussi fort que l'amour,
le troisičme est aussi doux que la mort

“The first glass is as bitter as life,
the second is as strong as love,
the third is as gentle as death.”

John
30-07-2013, 18:48
I got the album
I love the sound of oud as Barry says its has mournful sound. The brothers have a deep understanding of each other and the album has a modern interpretation towards the sound. Its a relaxing album but yet has plenty of dynamics and scale
I shall listen to the album and mark it
Good choice Barry Here is a live version of the track Barry selected
eJ1KbRD3lPE

The Grand Wazoo
30-07-2013, 18:51
Playing now here on CD - should be quite atmospheric as there's a thunderstorm brewing outside!

John
30-07-2013, 19:36
I gave it a 8
If anyone like to know more about similar artists let me know

Barry
21-08-2013, 18:47
Goodness this must be a bit of a record - only two replies and only one vote. :(

Makes me wonder if I ought to post another submission when it comes round again - it will be equally exotic and arcane!

Oh well, I'll add my vote: 9/10.

John
21-08-2013, 18:58
Barry I would not worry to much it is a good listen
If you like this check out Anour Brahem: The Astonishing Eyes of Rita
Dhafer Youssef: Abu Nawas Rhapsody
Rabih Abou-Khalil Blue Camel Think miles Davis A Kind of Blue set in the middle east awesome
T6i7Sfza2c4
I hope you do not mind me adding the extra bits Barry

Tim
21-08-2013, 19:06
I'm on it now Barry, not a massive Oud fan TBH, but I'll give it a go ;)

The Grand Wazoo
21-08-2013, 23:21
Gosh, I didn't vote did I?
I did play it 3 or 4 times and enjoyed it a lot, as I always have. Barry gave me a copy of this album some time ago and it's been a firm favourite in this house ever since. It's one of those albums that I can enjoy without any effort - I just let it wash over, hearing it rather than listening because it's so atmospheric (if that makes any sense).

It'll have to be a nine out of ten, I should think.

Bazil
22-08-2013, 19:59
Sorry I also thought I had voted, i liked it at first but then it became tedious it was like being on holiday and they had an act on you were obliged to listen to and applaud vigorously , sorry I'm being unkind if I knew the tunes better with time I may improve on my 6/10.

John
22-08-2013, 20:11
a

Barry
23-08-2013, 00:00
Barry I would not worry to much it is a good listen
If you like this check out Anour Brahem: The Astonishing Eyes of Rita
Dhafer Youssef: Abu Nawas Rhapsody
Rabih Abou-Khalil Blue Camel Think miles Davis A Kind of Blue set in the middle east awesome
T6i7Sfza2c4
I hope you do not mind me adding the extra bits Barry

Thanks for that John.

I enjoyed the Rabih Abou-Khalil and will check out the others on Amazon.

Regards

Barry
23-08-2013, 00:03
Gosh, I didn't vote did I?
I did play it 3 or 4 times and enjoyed it a lot, as I always have. Barry gave me a copy of this album some time ago and it's been a firm favourite in this house ever since. It's one of those albums that I can enjoy without any effort - I just let it wash over, hearing it rather than listening because it's so atmospheric (if that makes any sense).

It'll have to be a nine out of ten, I should think.

Ah - someone who 'listens' to it the way it was intended! :) (And perhaps justifies the purple prose of my write up.)

pjdowns
14-09-2013, 14:49
Now this is my style of music :) ... reminds me a little of Antonio Forcione :) 7/10 from me :)

MartinT
17-09-2013, 06:20
Oops, I missed this as it was the middle of away-season. Listening to it now and this is my kind of off the beaten track music. It reminds me a little of some of Christina Pluhar's music, an artist I like very much. It's a lot less varied, though, and did lose my attention towards the end, so it gets 6/10 from me.

Barry
17-09-2013, 17:57
Oops, I missed this as it was the middle of away-season. Listening to it now and this is my kind of off the beaten track music. It reminds me a little of some of Christina Pluhar's music, an artist I like very much. It's a lot less varied, though, and did lose my attention towards the end, so it gets 6/10 from me.

I agree Martin - it does get a bit 'repetitive'. So I usually only listen to about half of the Cd, and always skip the vocal track.