PDA

View Full Version : 6 things you really love . . .

Tim
28-07-2013, 16:25
There seems to be too much emphasis on what we don't like these days with threads for pet hates and what should be banned, so as an alternative to things which annoy you what about the things you love? Instead of behaving like grumpy old men :wheniwasaboy: (in which I include myself), what gives you a reason to get up every morning and brings you pleasure . . .

Ignoring the obvious like sex and beautiful women (well I am a bloke!), what really makes you smile?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/smile_zps0913ed93.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/smile_zps0913ed93.jpg.html)

Fresh Coffee
I gave up drinking instant coffee sometime ago now and earlier this year gave up ground coffee, now I only buy whole beans and hand grind them - this has enhanced my pleasure of coffee drinking immensely and its now something of a treat that I really look forward too.

Spicy Food
I can't get enough, Thai is probably top but I love Indian dishes too. Since learning to cook both well, spicy food has become a top ranker of life's real pleasures for me - I even eat and enjoy raw chilli's :eek:

A good read
I used to be an avid reading but not so much these days due to the dreaded TV (soon to be remedied) and there's nothing like the escapism and pure joy a well written book can provide - you know the one, those that draw you in and totally immerse you in the author's world, so much so you really don't want the story to end and go back to it time and time again.

A full English breakfast
Ranking very highly on my list of 'must have' guilty pleasures. Has to be well cooked (no greasy spoons), high quality produce (none of your bollocks supermarket fare), mostly grilled and comprise of large free range eggs (fried), bacon, sausage, tomato, portobello mushroom, black pudding, buttered toast and a gallon of fresh steaming tea . . . . yum.

Live music/music
No substitute for this for me, I prefer small intimate affairs where you can interact with the artist and see the whites of their eyes, but a full orchestra on song cannot be beaten for making the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and set my pulse racing. Live music performed well can and often does bring tears to my eyes. The next best thing is music on my system at home, which I also love and after many years of 'making do' I now have a system which has disappeared, allowing me to enjoy the pleasure without wondering, 'what if I change this around?'

A good bottle of wine
Mostly red by preference, but I love a good wine where you can smell and taste the earthy natural elements that go into making a classic bottle. Producing a fine wine is an art and a I love big full and powerful flavours. A good cheese to go with it helps as well ;)

(all the above in no particular order, just as I thought of them)

Near misses, foreign travel, scuba diving, the night sky and a breathtaking sunset.

:D

walpurgis
28-07-2013, 17:01
1) My grandkids

2) My daughter

3) My dog

4) My Hi-Fi & music

5) A beer

6) My 'Pet Hates' thread

The wife is conspicuously missing because we do not get on!

John
28-07-2013, 17:02
Live Music
I used to almost live at the Marquee so perfer the small club to the big festival I enjoy the intimacy or the energy of
Nature
Being in wild nature like a forrest or by the sea
Friends and family
Being with good friends/family and sharing stories
Beer
I love either really good strong English beers think Olde Roger or similar or Belgium beer think Rochfort 8 or Chimay Red or White
A good massage
Good Thai food

chelsea
28-07-2013, 17:11
Do you remember Production village near you?
Went there in the 80s.

Live Music
I used to almost live at the Marquee so perfer the small club to the big festival I enjoy the intimacy or the energy of
Nature
Being in wild nature like a forrest or by the sea
Friends and family
Being with good friends/family and sharing stories
Beer
I love either really good strong English beers think Olde Roger or similar or Belgium beer think Rochfort 8 or Chimay Red or White
A good massage
Good Thai food

pjdowns
28-07-2013, 17:14
1. My wife, spending time together, taking on the world as a couple :)
2. Family - I'm lucky to be close to all of my family and would be lost without them.
3. Music - live if at all possible, try to go to one or two concerts a year!
4. Coffee & Tea - Cannot do without my morning coffee and like a good cup of Tea!
5. Movies - love a good film that keeps me interested throughout :)
6. Friends - I have a small select number of friends that I like to keep in touch with.

Rothchild
28-07-2013, 19:05
A well set table, esp a nice crisp table cloth and napkins.
A well made bed, fresh sheets and plumped pillows
Learning
The entire process of working with artists, recording and mixing performances (the balance of people, serendipity and technical awareness / craft)
Bass
Sitting around an outdoor fire nudging bits of wood and shooting the breeze

stairpost
28-07-2013, 19:18
5 Things I love

D, Non-conformity.

Tim
28-07-2013, 19:28
The wife is conspicuously missing because we do not get on!
Ooops!

I kind of meant inanimate things as opposed to people, but no matter - interesting stuff guys :)

A good massage eh John :lol:

Kember
28-07-2013, 20:36
1) My wife - 28 years of porridge and still doing hard labour. I don't how she does it!

2) My son - growing up to be a fine lad

3) My dog - my constant companion, except when work intervenes. He will even put up with the Ramones.

4) My Hi-Fi & music

5) Bacon - in baps or in fry ups. I vary between them because I believe in a balanced diet

6) Fags, alas (as in cigarettes, for any American forum members :)) but I do enjoy them.

Peter

John
28-07-2013, 20:41
Do you remember Production village near you?
Went there in the 80s.
Yes sometimes would drink their

John
28-07-2013, 20:43
Ooops!

I kind of meant inanimate things as opposed to people, but no matter - interesting stuff guys :)

A good massage eh John :lol:

Nought wrong with a massage and not talking happy ending type either;)

Tim
28-07-2013, 20:48
I love em' too John - never had a happy ending yet, but you never know your luck . . . maybe one day ;)

Andrew B
28-07-2013, 21:18
My Wife, my life, my home, my good health, music, sunshine,

synsei
28-07-2013, 21:39
My girlfriend - I'd be lost without her.

Music - Not really bothered what I hear it on, however my system allows me to enjoy it on a deeper level.

A Good Book - Currently reading The Clan Of The Cave Bear series by Jean M. Auel which is a fabulous read and would be very high up in my all time top ten.

Cooking & Food - I do enjoy a fine meal and messing about in the kitchen.

Thing Fish
28-07-2013, 22:10
Music
Taking pictures (see below)
Travel
Big f**k off dive watches
A good film
70's retro

walpurgis
28-07-2013, 23:20
Music
Taking pictures (see below)
Travel
Big f**k off dive watches
A good film
70's retro

What's with the dive watches Dave?

The rest I can understand.

Andrei
29-07-2013, 02:09
Anything beautiful
Examples: My missus, The Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai, Rostropovich's cello, The Jewish Bride (Rembrandt), A smile, A bright-eyed dog, Benedictus in the Missa Solemnis,
Virtues
Acts of kindness, generosity
Cleverness
Finding the right play in Bridge or Chess, witty retorts
Physical Pleasures
The smell of Cinnamon, Ginger, Cumin; massages; snorkeling with Tropical Fish in Bali or Fiji
Being creative
In writing or ideas or making furniture or solving problems.
Single Malt or Claret

Thing Fish
29-07-2013, 03:39
What's with the dive watches Dave?

The rest I can understand.

I just love wearing big dive watches. I currently own 5.
2 x Omegas, 1 x Rolex, 1 x Orient king diver and a Citizen Aqualand.

walpurgis
29-07-2013, 10:01
I just love wearing big dive watches. I currently own 5.
2 x Omegas, 1 x Rolex, 1 x Orient king diver and a Citizen Aqualand.

Ah, so they're your 'little treats'! Mine tend to be Hi-Fi bits and the occasional camera.

Tim
29-07-2013, 22:28
Anything beautiful
Examples: My missus, The Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai, Rostropovich's cello, The Jewish Bride (Rembrandt), A smile, A bright-eyed dog, Benedictus in the Missa Solemnis,
Virtues
Acts of kindness, generosity
Cleverness
Finding the right play in Bridge or Chess, witty retorts
Physical Pleasures
The smell of Cinnamon, Ginger, Cumin; massages; snorkeling with Tropical Fish in Bali or Fiji
Being creative
In writing or ideas or making furniture or solving problems.
Single Malt or Claret

What a superb list Andrei - must be that wonderful place you live in, I'm very jealous.