PDA

View Full Version : The Bushmaster strikes back

StanleyB
23-07-2013, 12:59
Just got the blank boards from the PCB factory. After a quick QC check with some of the components that the holes and solder pads are in the right place, it is now off to the surface mounting plant for the next stage.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/pcb.jpg

Rowlf
23-07-2013, 15:00
Looks like it is progressing really well, Stan! Congrats. And really looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Val33
23-07-2013, 15:14
Hi Stan

So what are the differences? I see larger toslink sockets and a trim pot to the side of the volume control and red led's.

Val

StanleyB
23-07-2013, 17:17
I did a bit of rethinking and redesigning of every part of the Bushmaster. Some are in response to requests, whilst others are solutions to technical challenges. I don't want to go into deep technical details for now, but a quick breakdown should be the least that I can do.

Internal power supply section:
A lot of people who bought the Bushmaster MK1 factored into the price the additional cost of a noise filter such as the sBooster, and a linear power supply. I have been working and perfecting my Virtual DC power supply circuit since the TC-7510 so that it would be possible to use an external SMPS, without having to fit noise muting relays in the audio output stage. But the sBooster showed that there was still some way to go as far as filtering out the SMPS noise was concerned. So I designed a DC linearizing circuit inside the DAC's power supply circuit in order to tackle the SMPS noise with a lot more rigour. I posted some pics of the before and after results taken from one of the prototypes of the MK2. I shall take some pics from the final PCB and post them here in order to keep things together in one thread. Once you see those pictures the performance improvements in the power supply section of the MK2 will become a lot clearer.

Headphone section:
I changed the volume control to an even more pronounced logarithmic one so that it is now possible to make very fine adjustment of the volume level at up to 50% of the headphone gain output. For the hard of hearing and people who like to listen to music loud, you'll have to go past the 1PM setting if you want your music very loud.
I increased the available headroom in the headphone amp so that music with a very large dynamic range does not get compressed as the music level increases. It's difficult to explain the effect that this added headroom is having without first listening to it with a track that has a wide decibel span.
I also added a balance control to the headphone output that operates over a very small range. It's not designed to cut the sound out when turned fully one way or the other. It's purpose is to make it possible for people with a slight difference in hearing to be able to adjust the headphone output levels so that both left and right output sound about identical.

Toslink input circuit:
I am now using a pair of 25MHz optical sockets instead of the 15MHz ones that were previously the highest rated bandwith type available. This gives even better jitter response from the optical input.

Because of the lower noise floor from the power supply section the line output signal has an even better signal separation with vocals and instruments. This is actually very clear to hear with headphones, which produces a superior 3D output.

Val33
23-07-2013, 17:59
Thanks for the info Stan, sounds like you better put me on the list for one as soon as they are available :)

Val

reddave
23-07-2013, 20:03
I'll take my place on the list, too. Albeit way behind many afficianados aficianados aficienados music lovers on here.

Xapito
23-07-2013, 20:11
Also interested, will wait for further dev updates / news.

StanleyB
23-07-2013, 20:27
Also interested, will wait for further dev updates / news.
Developments and updates are completed :). See first picture in this thread. What you see there is one of the boards. But in those boxes behind and underneath the PCB is the first batch of PCBs awaiting insertion of the components in the SMD assembly factory. Then they are off to the case assembly factory, etc.

StanleyB
23-07-2013, 20:47
The average SMPS would have a noise figure of about 300mV.
The original Bushmaster power supply is a specially low noise SMPS design. Typical noise figure is around 50mV.

Screenshot of the Bushmaster PSU at 20mV

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/7533/OPSU.jpg

The Lurcher PSU (better known as the MCRU PSU) is a linear design with a far lower noise figure.

The following screen shot is of the LPSU at 20mV

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/7533/LPSU.jpg

As can be seen, the LSPSU is far less noisy at 20mV. To get an idea of how quiet it is you have to go all the way down to 1mV.

The following screen shot is of the LPSU at 1mV

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/7533/LPSUORG.jpg

StanleyB
23-07-2013, 21:01
And now for the performance of the two power supplies after passing through the DC Linearizer filter.

The following screenshot is of the Bushmaster SMPS at 1mV after passing through the DC Linearizer.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/7533/OPSU1MV.jpg

As can be seen, the Bushmaster PSU noise after passing through the DC Linearizer outperforms the noise figure of the Lurcher linear PSU at 1mV.

The Lurcher PSU will also work with the DC Linearizer however.

The following screen shot is of the LPSU output at 1mV after passing through the DC Linearizer

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/7533/LPSU1MV.jpg

As can be seen,the Lurcher PSU initial low noise performance is further enhanced by the DC Linearizer. But the performance difference between the original SMPS and the Lurcher linear PSU is now substantially smaller after processing by the DC Linearizer.

Stubies
23-07-2013, 21:23
Stan

Truely Astonishing Results! Its a great accomplishment!

Count me in line for your new box too :champagne:

Stu

DaveK
23-07-2013, 22:40
Hi Stan,
Looking good!! If it sounds as good as it sounds it should it will be great ;) . Any idea of price and date of availability?
Dave.

bigmarty
23-07-2013, 22:57
Hi Stan,

Would you be able to retro fit the new boards into the original Bushmaster box if I sent it back to you?

Marty

StanleyB
24-07-2013, 06:38
The MK2 is different in shape and size so it won't fit in the MK1 case.

The first production of 100 pieces should be completed in the next three to four weeks and is already over subscribed. I asked about two months ago that anyone interested in the Bushmaster should email me so that I could put them on the waiting list. About 150 have done so far.
Anyone interested in the MK2 should email me please. Without your name on the list and in the order of receiving your email you won't get a chance to buy one ahead of those people who have been patiently waiting so far. The exception to that are some of the AoS members who are registered with me as testers and reviewers.
The 2nd production is scheduled to start end of August, which means that additional stock should be available towards the end of September.

The price for the black version is provisionally calculated to be £164.99 plus P&P and VAT where applicable. The increased price reflects the additional cost of the extra components and the increased cost from the new case manufacturer.

bigmarty
24-07-2013, 12:14
No problem Stan,

Love my MK1 Bushmaster, so will just have to wait for the 2nd or 3rd production run.

All the best Stan

marty :D

Yomanze
24-07-2013, 12:20
Hi Stan, so if we are using the Bushmaster with a decent linear supply already, don't use optical, & don't use it with headphones, then there isn't really a need to upgrade from the Bushmaster MK1?

StanleyB
24-07-2013, 12:36
Hi Stan, so if we are using the Bushmaster with a decent linear supply already, don't use optical, & don't use it with headphones, then there isn't really a need to upgrade from the Bushmaster MK1?
I don't want to encourage anyone to upgrade if they are quite satisfied with the MK1. But the enhanced performance that the DC Linearizer circuit makes to the overall signal to noise ratio, and with that the increased level of detail that is now outside the noise band and is more apparent, is likely to attract the attention of people with high end amps and speakers.
But I shall leave the final word on that to a couple of my beta testers, who have a MK1 and have volunteered to do the A/B testing.

aBe
24-07-2013, 15:34
I don't want to encourage anyone to upgrade if they are quite satisfied with the MK1. But the enhanced performance that the DC Linearizer circuit makes to the overall signal to noise ratio, and with that the increased level of detail that is now outside the noise band and is more apparent, is likely to attract the attention of people with high end amps and speakers.
But I shall leave the final word on that to a couple of my beta testers, who have a MK1 and have volunteered to do the A/B testing.

Ahhh...Stan.
There you go again. I am game even if it makes only the slightest improvement in performance.

I already got three versions of your DAC in the house.
The 7210 is in the living room. Caiman Gator is serving music to the missus in the love nest. The current Bushmaster is the music master in my Hifi room.

Am now running out of ideas, where to dock the new Bushy when it calls Kuala Lumpur home afterwards.
The kitchen...yes the kitchen...Nigella needs her music to be delectable too..

synsei
24-07-2013, 15:47
You appear to have a houseful of reptiles Abe... :lol:

Fi-Wi
24-07-2013, 16:52

It would be nice if they weren't all hi-end owners. I for one am particularly interested in the experiences of the mid-end and lower-end testers, so I hope you'll post their findings as well Stan.

icehockeyboy
24-07-2013, 16:59
I have so far had two Beresford dacs, but the jump in SQ was amazing from the earlier one to the BUshmaster, beating my expensive Theta with a big stick, IMO of course, but then again the king of boxes the Jandlmeister said the same, so at least two of us agree!

I have just put the phone down to Stan after begging him to put my name down on the sales sheet for the newest BM dac, and you know what, before even hearing it, I know it will be an improvement! :)

Xaval
24-07-2013, 18:49
Thank you for posting this info Stan. Wouldn't mind myself beta-testing it :)
Looking forward for more feedback, specially on the headphone stuff! Those Toslink sockets are giving me the itch.

TimJ
24-07-2013, 20:01
I have my name down for the new BM That stans working on, from what i have read and seen i will be purchasing a great bit of kit to improve my macs itunes library.
Just hope he will do a silver style front plate finish to match my mac mini:)

icehockeyboy
24-07-2013, 22:16
I think that anyone having the Bushmaster mentioned in their " signature" should get first pop! :lol:

bigmarty
24-07-2013, 23:01
I think that anyone having the Bushmaster mentioned in their " signature" should get first pop! :lol:

:)

StanleyB
25-07-2013, 10:19
Wait till I get down to talking about EDO, async, 16 bit versus 24 bit, etc. But without an actual DAC in front of you to play with, talk is cheap.

TimJ
25-07-2013, 18:54
could someone tell me (or Stan if you are free!?) would it matter which connection i use for my sky hd box? would digital be best or use the to toslink?
just getting prepared for when the new ones are available! plus i have not owned a DAC before so want to ensure i try to set it up at its best.
Thanks

StanleyB
25-07-2013, 19:28
Toslink is digital as well.
I spent a lot of time perfecting the TOSLINK performance for good reason. It is the most common output socket now found on equipment that have a digital audio output.

TimJ
25-07-2013, 20:23
Sorry, what i was trying to say was would there be a preference to which works best from the two connections? Toslink or the digital/orange looking connection

StanleyB
26-07-2013, 05:24
It's horses for courses really. Some people prefer TOSLINK over coax, and visa versa. I prefer to use either of them based on the sampling rate and bit depth of the particular music track that I am playing. In the case of a SKY box I can't offer you any advice on which is best. I am not a SKY subscriber.

TimJ
26-07-2013, 18:55
Ok thanks, i decided to use the coax and today ordered a mark grant G1000HD Digital Coax Phono to Phono for my sky connection. I already have a fisual mini toslink to toslink lead for my mac an i will probably order a stereo pair of mark grants g1000HD for the BM to my amp

Stratmangler
26-07-2013, 19:20
Ok thanks, i decided to use the coax and today ordered a mark grant G1000HD Digital Coax Phono to Phono for my sky connection. I already have a fisual mini toslink to toslink lead for my mac an i will probably order a stereo pair of mark grants g1000HD for the BM to my amp

When did Sky HD boxes start coming with a coax SPDIF connection?
The coax connections on the box are for LNB connection and multiroom.
The only SPDIF they have, and that I'm aware of is Toslink :scratch:

TimJ
26-07-2013, 19:28
Well i have one connected now to my amp! its a qed, but thought id stick with the connection if there is no real difference but get a better cable plus ive had the qed for a while now. Apologies for the dust! Its all coming out tomorrow to fit new ethernet leads and stand for the mac mini, a good clean and possibly a re arrange. Well as long as my wife manages to keep our little (nearly) 2 year old from doing any damage!!
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/timmyajmy93wrx/F7DDBE36-2A6D-4FC6-B216-1633B6B3AFCD-285-00000041F5FBC343.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/timmyajmy93wrx/media/F7DDBE36-2A6D-4FC6-B216-1633B6B3AFCD-285-00000041F5FBC343.jpg.html)

Stratmangler
26-07-2013, 20:14
Well i have one connected now to my amp! its a qed, but thought id stick with the connection if there is no real difference but get a better cable plus ive had the qed for a while now
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/timmyajmy93wrx/F7DDBE36-2A6D-4FC6-B216-1633B6B3AFCD-285-00000041F5FBC343.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/timmyajmy93wrx/media/F7DDBE36-2A6D-4FC6-B216-1633B6B3AFCD-285-00000041F5FBC343.jpg.html)

I've just had a look at the back of my old Sky HD box and there's a coax connection too :o
I've never used it - my TV has optical digital out, and it's this that I connect to my DAC. The result is that I don't get issues with lip-sync, which can occur if you have equipment chained up.

TimJ
26-07-2013, 20:35
Unsure of lip-sync issues as my amp has an auto set for this and have never had any issues with it. Everything i have is connected to the amp but i dont bother with the tv connection to the amp for sound. Tv is only on when skys on so the amp has a pass through mode ( will pass through all picture signals without having to be on) for just using the tvs own sound or pop the amp on and let that take over for sound. Depends what we are watching/listening to.

TimJ
15-08-2013, 20:02
Stan, any further updates on the bm2? ( sorry if i have missed another thread?)

StanleyB
15-08-2013, 23:07
I have been busy over the last few weeks trying to sort out various little last minute hitches. Today has been a rare break for me to catch up on outside life. I am looking at the 1st or 2nd week for the 1st production stock being ready to ship. I was late in receiving a sample of the new front panel, which means that Werner did not receive the dimensions in time. He has had to put me on hold whilst he tries to complete a couple of projects ahead of mine. But once that is finished I can get the front panel printed and screwed on to the already assembled DACs.

TimJ
17-08-2013, 18:22
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing pics :-)

MartinT
17-08-2013, 19:56
As can be seen, the Bushmaster PSU noise after passing through the DC Linearizer outperforms the noise figure of the Lurcher linear PSU at 1mV.

Really excellent work, Stan. Anyone who thinks this kind of noise level is easy to achieve in a PSU for a digital circuit needs to appreciate the amount of work gone into this. The fact that it further quietens a good linear PSU (such as the Lurcher or my Paul Hynes) is further icing.

I look forward to trying out a Mk. II when they become ready.

Rare Bird
23-08-2013, 16:14
Does this mean people will be putting their old units up for sale :eyebrows: saying that i don't think id buy a used one from an hi-fi enthusiarst, god only knows what they may have done inside :(

MartinT
23-08-2013, 18:48

Hmm, I only have room for my primary components, but then I have said many a time how brilliant the Bushmaster is ;)

MartinT
23-08-2013, 18:50
Sorry, what i was trying to say was would there be a preference to which works best from the two connections? Toslink or the digital/orange looking connection

In the case of the Sky HD box I prefer optical because it electrically disconnects all possible video sources from my all-important hi-fi system. Performance into the BM is excellent.

StanleyB
28-08-2013, 19:34
Some quick updates:
2nd week of September is now confirmed as the week that FEDEX will show up with the UK/Europe stock at my door.
I am now in possession of all the relevant bills etc. Based on those I can price the MK2 at between £195 to £199 depending on the power plug option. Delivery is extra. DAC without power cord and power supply is going to be £180. All prices include VAT. People in VAT free zones in Europe will need to pay a 7.5% flat rate VAT that HMRC now levies on me. Look up flat rate VAT on the HMRC website if you want to know more about what it is and why it is 7.5%.
Customers outside of Europe are naturally VAT exempt.
The above prices are based on the absolute minimum I can sell at. The actual calculation came to £225.
The 1st production is 100 pcs and I have about 190 people on the notification list. If I do sell out before I reach the end of the list I shall offer the remaining names a chance to be on the 2nd delivery list with guaranteed priority. The MK2 will not be available for purchase from my site till everyone on the waiting list has had a chance to take up or turn down the offer of a MK2. That could be till end of October at this rate... I don't intend to operate a queue jumping process, even if you offer to pay more. It's not British!

Gazjam
28-08-2013, 20:05
Good luck with the new baby Stan. :)

Stubies
28-08-2013, 20:54
Stan

What will be the input voltage?

Stu

StanleyB
28-08-2013, 21:17
Good luck with the new baby Stan. :)
Thanks.

StanleyB
28-08-2013, 21:22
I can get it to operate reliably between 10.5V and 15V. The top level is limited by the 16V power capacitor. But the master regulator has no heatsink bolted to it. So I don't recommend using 15V and leaving the DAC on 24/7.

sq225917
29-08-2013, 01:15
Looking good Stan, nice work on the input psu filter.

StanleyB
29-08-2013, 06:56
Looking good Stan, nice work on the input psu filter.
Thanks Simon. It makes a hell of a difference compared to the MK1 in terms of how further into a good recording I am able to penetrate in order to pick up minuscule audio detail. It's certainly more than a few decibels.

Yomanze
29-08-2013, 07:58
Agreed those results look shockingly good with the SMPS.

Fi-Wi
29-08-2013, 11:03
Will the output (soundwise) of the Mk2 benefit of using a lineair (MG) psu as compared to the smps, or is the smps (filter) the better psu to feed the Bushmaster Mk2?

In other words, is the filter also used when a lineair psu is attached to the Mk2 or are all Stan's blood, sweat and tears set aside with a linair psu? :scratch:

StanleyB
29-08-2013, 11:10
Will the output (soundwise) of the Mk2 benefit of using a lineair (MG) psu as compared to the smps, or is the smps (filter) the better psu to feed the Bushmaster Mk2?

In other words, is the filter also used when a lineair psu is attached to the Mk2 or are all Stan's blood, sweat and tears set aside with a linair psu? :scratch:
If you go back to the sections in this thread where I have posted pictures of the various waveforms from linear and SMPS you should be able to see for yourself what the results are, and what conclusions I drew.

I myself have passed the point of wondering about SMPS and linear. I am now into listening at differences in detail between different bitrates and sampling frequencies. I haven't been able to do that so clearly before now that the noise level in the signal is so much lower. I am enjoying the vibration in the vocals of singers and the back to front spacial decoding plus any sound reflections from the room the music is recorded from. It's a new experience for me to hear them so much clearer.

NRG
29-08-2013, 11:14

No I don't think so, from Stan's 'scope shots using a linear PSU (a very good one at that) with the MK2 is the icing on the cake as it where. Stan's new filter seems to take the noise floor much lower with the SMPS but goes even further when used with a linear supply like the the LDA one...

Edit to say, its a very very good result and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a MK2 to try...

StanleyB
29-08-2013, 11:21
Edit to say, its a very very good result and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a MK2 to try...
The last time I looked you were on the list of the five testing volunteers with Paypal account details close at hand.

MartinT
29-08-2013, 11:52
I can get it to operate reliably between 10.5V and 15V. The top level is limited by the 16V power capacitor. But the master regulator has no heatsink bolted to it. So I don't recommend using 15V and leaving the DAC on 24/7.

I cranked my Paul Hynes PSU up to 16V for the Bushmaster. Are you recommending that I back it down to 15V or even lower, or may I add a heatsink to the regulator so that I can keep it running 24/7?

StanleyB
29-08-2013, 12:53
The master regulator is a 9V one with a 1.5V overhead requirement. It won't produce a better performance at 16V in the MK2. The 9V is branched off to the 3.3V and 5V regulator. So a higher input voltage won't make the 5 and 3.3V regulators perform any better.
The max 16V limit is set by the 16V max operating voltage spec of the power capacitor. During my own safety tests I could get it to still work at 18V. But at 20V it started to swell up and eventually burst open.
So be cautious with using 16V.

MartinT
29-08-2013, 14:17
Ok, will do. I'll back it down to 15V and see if it will run continuously without the reg overheating. If not, I'll either drop it to 14V or see if I can heatsink the reg.

By the way, what regulators are you using?

Yomanze
29-08-2013, 16:39
Thanks Simon. It makes a hell of a difference compared to the MK1 in terms of how further into a good recording I am able to penetrate in order to pick up minuscule audio detail. It's certainly more than a few decibels.

Hi Stan with both the SMPS and when using linear supplies? I ask because I just picked up a 'best of both worlds' PSU... The measurements show that there is an improvement, but would be interested to hear of any subjective listening experiences.

Fi-Wi
29-08-2013, 18:38
No I don't think so, from Stan's 'scope shots using a linear PSU (a very good one at that) with the MK2 is the icing on the cake as it where. Stan's new filter seems to take the noise floor much lower with the SMPS but goes even further when used with a linear supply like the the LDA one...

Thanks for clarifying. Being a non-technician "noice performance" and "wave forms" are not in my vocabulary. All I wanted to know is if my music would sound better with a Mk2/lineair combo compared to one with a smps. :)

StanleyB
29-08-2013, 19:00
Hi Stan with both the SMPS and when using linear supplies? I ask because I just picked up a 'best of both worlds' PSU... The measurements show that there is an improvement, but would be interested to hear of any subjective listening experiences.
My ears are no longer as good as they used to be, but I can hear an improvement with the standard SMPS, my laboratory specced linear PSU, the Mark Grant PSU, and the Lurcher PSU. I have wired in a MK1 and MK2 into one of my TC-7240 audio switches and swapped between TOSLINK and coax on my music players and the DACs. A straight A/B testing was then possible in real time with the same music. So no memory effect etc to worry about.

Yomanze
29-08-2013, 19:09
@Stan: Nice, and rightfully compensating for our poor auditory memory too. It isn't good enough to recall gear from memory without it being there to actually compare.

StanleyB
02-09-2013, 10:11
http://www.homehifi.co.uk/images/TC-7533/TC-7533F-950.jpg

bigmarty
02-09-2013, 12:00
Looking good Stan:)

Gazjam
02-09-2013, 12:17
+1, like the icons along the bottom.

Hope your open to comments Stan (asuming thats why you put the pic up!) but something about them looks a bit big, given the space around them on the panel?

Just for fun, took it into photoshop.
I resized them slightly and changed the size of the "status" text to match the lower second line font of the logo.
Appreciate its probably a mockup Stan, but it can be the wee things than make a differerence.

Like hifi though its down to personal preference of course.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/600/xsrg.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/xsrg.jpg/)
http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/692/0aoy.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/0aoy.jpg/)

StanleyB
02-09-2013, 12:40
That's a picture of the finished DAC. Artwork originally done and sized by Werner. The discussion about the layout is in one of the threads going back about 15 to 18 months ago. The sizes look large on screen. But in reality they are hardly visible from 3 meters away.

Gazjam
02-09-2013, 13:53
ok fella.
Looks good. :)

TimJ
02-09-2013, 20:20
Looking great stan, please remind which list i'm on and when they will be available for that list! Thanks
Tim

Stubies
02-09-2013, 21:09
+1 Looks great stan!

wee tee cee
03-09-2013, 09:22
Does anyone know if the Bushmaster MK 2 will work with the battery pack recommended for the MK 1?

StanleyB
03-09-2013, 19:00
Yes it will work. I use one on my TC-7533.

wee tee cee
04-09-2013, 09:10
Thanks for the reply......look forward to reading the reviews of recipients of the initial batch.

StanleyB
04-09-2013, 10:57
I have sent out purchasing info to all those who registered with me via email for inclusion on the waiting list up to the end of June. So if you contacted me in before the 1st of July about getting on the waiting list then check your email account. If you have not received an email from me in the last 24 hours then please email me again and I shall look into it. I am giving those who have registered before the 1st of July till tomorrow to reply. After that I am moving on to the July list.

wee tee cee
04-09-2013, 16:54
Thanks Stan, might have to hang fire for a couple of months because of different factors going on at home. But look forward to getting my hands on on a mk2 as I regarded the bushmaster as the best sound I had heard my senn 650s produce. You will get my business when I can afford it.

Søren
06-09-2013, 13:59
Hi Stan,

Is it possible to transfer the Venom upgrade to BM Mk2?

StanleyB
06-09-2013, 14:57
That would be a hell of a task that I myself wouldn't want to carry out. I don't like taking caps from one PCB and then fitting them on another PCB. I can often detect a difference in performance afterwards.

StanleyB
10-09-2013, 06:05
The Bushmaster MKII is now shipping, and one eager customer, and AoS member, even picked his order up yesterday morning after he received my notification email over the weekend. His phone call to me a couple of hours later was that of one of the most excited BDAC owners I have ever had. He did a A/B comparison with the MKI and said I am selling the MKII far too cheap. But it's not the first time that I heard that last comment.

MartinT
10-09-2013, 08:16
Good first report, Stan. Looking forward to performing my own comparison.

Yomanze
10-09-2013, 20:48
I don't think it's too cheap as it's direct sold, but I do think it's bloody good value for money. :)

I do shudder a bit sometimes when I see the effects of dealer markups and 'R&D / marketing costs' added on.

StanleyB
10-09-2013, 21:11
My R&D cost can be a killer. Luckily I do most of it myself, which helps to soften the final bill.

worrasf
11-09-2013, 19:04
Good first report, Stan. Looking forward to performing my own comparison.

My BM2 is on it's way - will get a chance to install this weekend.
Guess we need to think about a new thread here "BM2 - first impressions" sound suitably tacky :)

Steve

MartinT
11-09-2013, 21:04
Guess we need to think about a new thread here "BM2 - first impressions" sound suitably tacky

Done!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?27847-Bushmaster-Mk-II-(TC-7533)

worrasf
12-09-2013, 06:58
Done!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?27847-Bushmaster-Mk-II-(TC-7533)

Excellent.

I have deliberately not read through your post as I dont want to "contaminate" my own first impressions which will of necessity have to wait until the weekend. I aim to have a good old listen to my BM 1 tonight/tomorrow - especially through headphones before installing the BM II - a straight A/B demo will not be possible.

Steve

MartinT
12-09-2013, 07:07
Nice one, Steve. Please add to the thread when you've had a listen.

TimJ
12-09-2013, 11:18
Just ordered and paid for mine, looking to take delivery Monday, really looking forward to see how much better it makes my mac mini/itunes audio sound. I will also use it for my sky. I have never used a DAC before so i can only comment on the improvement over the standard sound, but from the comments i have read on here and the web, stan makes a great bit of kit and i have purchased wisely!

MartinT
12-09-2013, 12:06
Tim, you won't believe just how good Sky programming can sound through a good DAC. Happy discovering :)

TimJ
12-09-2013, 13:04
Great cheers martinT!

Ali Tait
12-09-2013, 13:18
Tim, you won't believe just how good Sky programming can sound through a good DAC. Happy discovering :)

Yes, some of the stuff on Sky Arts can sound superb.

Søren
12-09-2013, 16:22
My BM2 is also on it`s way. If i am lucky, i can pick it up at the post office Friday or Saturday. I will post my impressions in the new thread. My only problem with that is, that i ran out of superlatives with BM1.

MartinT
12-09-2013, 16:39
My only problem with that is, that i ran out of superlatives with BM1.

I know - it's hard to keep it real and not sound like a spouting idiot. However, one must keep the BM2's price in mind at all times, and that really does make it outstanding.

TimJ
16-09-2013, 09:34
Out for delivery today according to rm tracking! Come on postman!:lol:

StanleyB
16-09-2013, 10:11
You guys are lucky. I am already on to the next project. No time for any breaks right now.

TimJ
16-09-2013, 10:25
Whats the next project or is it a secret for now!?!

StanleyB
16-09-2013, 10:29
Trying to get a DC plug and USB version of the DC Linearizer finished. They could be good Christmas sellers.

TimJ
16-09-2013, 10:31
Its here! Time to unpack!